Olby on Obama’s “teabagger” comment: You asked for it

posted at 10:15 pm on May 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

Ah, this again. Some guy at an early tea party was photographed carrying a “Tea Bag the Democrats Before They Tea Bag You” sign, and henceforth, unto eternity, all tea partiers are expected to politely endure being derided in those terms. We started it — and by “we,” I of course mean some random guy and a few others — and therefore we must accept the consequences. Forever. Which, in an odd way, makes perfect sense: Not only does it follow the guilt-by-association mania by which any one tea partier is responsible for the sins of any other member, but it also illustrates the left’s unwillingness to accept blame for its own smears. It simply can’t be the case that they’re going into the gutter because they enjoy it; they’re too virtuous for that. It must be that we asked for it.

It’s almost not worth pointing out that Olby’s selectively quoting from National Review here — what would “Countdown” be if he provided full context? — but I’ll point it out anyway. Here’s Jay Nordlinger’s passage in fuller flower:

It will be interesting to see whether the president — or Bill Clinton, for that matter — ever uses “teabag” and the like in public. And if not, why not?

Some on the right are using “teabagger,” but mainly the word is a putdown from the left. Conservatives realize that nothing friendly is meant by it. You can tell by tone and context, for one thing. (Or is that two things?) Of course, some people use “teabagger” in innocence — unaware of any vulgar connotation. One such person is, or was, Gwen Ifill. Some of her NewsHour viewers wrote to complain. And Ifill later said, “Turns out I am the only person with access to email who never knew this was a term with a sexual meaning. I used it in an offhand manner as a shorthand referring to the ‘tea party’ movement. It was a slip I was unaware of, and I regret it.”…

In any event, it may well be too late to purge “teabagger” from our discourse, certainly from discourse controlled by liberals. But I’m for giving it a try: for running “teabagger” out of town, even at this late date. It is really a lowdown term. “Tea partier” is a neutral term. “Tea-party patriots” is a positive term, used by some of the protesters themselves. “Teabagger” — not so positive, and not so neutral.

I.e. it’s a smear, but let’s let Barack Obama off the hook for using it because he’s “trying to do good” or whatever. Incidentally, if you missed the new Olbermann promos now airing at MSNBC, go have a peek at Olby Watch. Apparently excluding people who disagree with you from your show is the new hotness.

Oh, and be sure to watch the second video below, from Reason TV, as well, just so that you have the modern-day Murrow and his ilk in their full context.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Disco sucks.

John the Libertarian on May 6, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If my name was ‘Olby’, I would have a bad disposition to.

percysunshine on May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Olby is a jack*ss,just as the tea kettle was whistling,
I was taking a swig,of my over-brewed fine Canadian tea!!

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Ya, like it would be impossible to say the protests are anti-tax, anti-spending wouldn’t be short hand enough. Too many syllables.

Skandia Recluse on May 6, 2010 at 10:20 PM

A whole thread devoted to the Dimmest Bulb in the Universe. I’ll pass for now.

MB4 on May 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I guess we can put up with “Teabagger”. But after Kal Penn cruising Dupont Circle, Reggie Love, and let’s see, who are The O’s past girl friends?

Can they put up with: On The Down Lowbama

Doorgunner on May 6, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I think I’ll make another cup of tea,
soooooooooooooooooooooooooo,tea cup,
be prepared to be tea bagged!!(sarc).

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Hate merchant.

ronsfi on May 6, 2010 at 10:23 PM

By putting that up here we doubled his viewership.

jukin on May 6, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Scum.

Basilsbest on May 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

excluding people who disagree with you from your show is the new hotness

So intelligent adults with taste and common decency are out of bounds now?

Oh yes, this is MSNBC, but of course.

Network for nutroots by nitwits.

NoDonkey on May 6, 2010 at 10:27 PM

This reality runs parallel with all D.C. myths. Bipartisan is only bipartisan when you beat the other side into agreeing with you. Obama wants Republican ideas on health care reform, unless they differ from his plans. At that point the Republicans are stonewalling. Obama calls for civility only in so far as you allow him to do what he wants. The minute you say he shouldn’t be calling for spending that much money, civility is thrown out the window, and millions of Americans are reduced to being identified with a sex act for the President’s amusement. Where do we go from here?

Weight of Glory on May 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM

“…if you missed the new Olbermann promos now airing at MSNBC…”

If?

Bruce in NH on May 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Time to pull out the Liberal Kryptonite!!
=================================================

I Am Sick And Tired – Hillary Clinton

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Olby is a jack*ss,just as the tea kettle was whistling,
I was taking a swig,of my over-brewed fine Canadian tea!!

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM

For a minute there, I thought you were off the wagon. Until I saw the word tea.

Colorado Anne on May 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

You people need to show some respect. He went to Cornell.

Thanks for that, canopfor. I needed that.
NOT!

Lanceman on May 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Thanks for the Reason TV clip, Allah…

… it kept me from throwing up after braving “Capt. Feltcher’s” promo and video.

Seven Percent Solution on May 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM
===================================
For a minute there, I thought you were off the wagon. Until I saw the word tea.

Colorado Anne on May 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Colorado Anne:Could be worse,like Coffee,okay,I kid on that
one!!:)

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Keith Olbermann… the Francis Buxton of cable news.

I know you are but what am I?
I know you are but what am I?
I know you are but what am I?
I know you are but what am I?

INFINITY!

The Ugly American on May 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM

You people need to show some respect. He went to Cornell.

Thanks for that, canopfor. I needed that.
NOT!

Lanceman on May 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Lanceman:One of the Tea Party Patriots rituals,

is running the Gauntlet of Tea Bags,oh wait
I made that up,never mind!!:)

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Ouck Flby.

madmonkphotog on May 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Is this new-FCC passable?

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Does anyone watch Olberman? Other than his mother?

GarandFan on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Kindergarten is indignant.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Where do we go from here?
Weight of Glory on May 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Remember November

antisocial on May 6, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Does anyone watch Olberman MSNBC? Other than his mother?

GarandFan on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Lanceman on May 6, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Time to pull out the Liberal Kryptonite!!
=================================================

I Am Sick And Tired ain’t no way tarred! I cum too fahr…– Hillary Clinton

…much bettermore colloquial.

Chewy the Lab on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Does anyone watch Olberman? Other than his mother?

GarandFan on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Does Miss Precious Perfect count? Or do the Nielsens exclude feline viewers?

Doughboy on May 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Kal Penn.

Reggie Love.

He knows plenty about teabagging.

tetriskid on May 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Here’s a little ditty Keeffie would probably find repugnant from the Colorado heartland. Him and Barack would probably find these down-to-earth Americans down-right sickening. “They just aren’t totally high class & elite like us” – Keith & The Won, teabagging buddies. P.S. – WHAT IS THAT, AN EFFING COW???!!!

We’re Takin’ Back Our Country
My favorite line – “Where are voices are heard & our senators aren’t bought”.

If it doesn’t sound good to you. Let us help you pack. OOOO-HOOOOOO!

Colorado Anne on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

You people need to show some respect. He went to Cornell.

Lanceman on May 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Farm team.

Connie on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

This reflects on the person using the term, not participants of a Tea Party. Aren’t these fools the ones who always say the grown ups are in charge now? All evidence to the contrary.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM

You asked for it

Why do I have this nagging feeling that this is what he says to rape victims?

Shay on May 6, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Farm team.

Connie on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

How dare you belittle that! Just ’cause his school was founded by a cow!

Lanceman on May 6, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I’ve laid off him for a few years now, especially since the suits at MSNBC reprimanded him for urging me to kill myself. But today I started sparring with him a bit on Twitter and I think it’s time to mix it up again. The time may be right to take him down. Nobody ever got under his skin better than I did.

JammieWearingFool on May 6, 2010 at 10:45 PM

So be it, Jedi.

“You got a purty mouth, Olby. Squeal like a pig.”

GnuBreed on May 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Even assuming that the “tea baggers” invited the use of the name by critics after first using it to attack liberals and Democrats, why does that permit Keith Olbermann – objective journalist – to use the term? Or Rachel Maddow?

It wasn’t directed at them, was it?

What gives them the permission to use the slur since it wasn’t originally directed at them?

Yeah, I’m trying to illuminate a crank.

SteveMG on May 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM

JWF: Go for it. We need the entertainment.

SlaveDog on May 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Hey, if we have to own the “teabagger” charge here then, as Ace points out, Olby is going to have to own up to the fact Rahm Emanuel says he’s f***ing retarded.

pt on May 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM

I’m actually glad they use that term. Come November it’s going to be loads of fun saying so-and-so Dem got teabagged by some Republican. The Left will have been tea bagged by the Conservative movement and so on. In November the tables are turned. In November the “Teabaggees” will be reminded over and over how they were tea bagged at the polls.

Oh and my personal favorite:

How do our Tea Bags taste?

Remember November

Guardian on May 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Remember November

antisocial on May 6, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Indeed. I will.

Weight of Glory on May 6, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Somehow Stevie I don’t see Rocky Maddow as a teabagger in any sense of the word.

CWforFreedom on May 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Remember November

Guardian on May 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Guardian:)
============================

See You In November

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM

“That fifteen year old girl that L.T. raped asked for it because her skirt was too short” – Keef Obamamann

OxyCon on May 6, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I Am Sick And Tired ain’t no way tarred! I cum too fahr…– Hillary Clinton
…much bettermore colloquial.

Chewy the Lab on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Chewy the Lab: Oh gawd I remember that one,a different
HilRod,depending on what crowd,in what
state!!-:)

canopfor on May 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Does anyone watch Olberman? Other than his mother?

GarandFan on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Miss Precious Perfect does, then she coughs up a hairball on the rug.

SagebrushPuppet on May 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM

Does Miss Precious Perfect count? Or do the Nielsens exclude feline viewers?

Doughboy on May 6, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Doh! Beat me to the SNL reference!

SagebrushPuppet on May 6, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Was I the only one fascinated by the black dude’s hair? It was kinda amazing. It seemed to have at least 3 separate things going on at the same time. And was polished off w/ the nose ring. I may have to watch that 3-4 more times.

di butler on May 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM

So Olberbitch is ok with white people using the N word now?

Sorry, I forgot, consistency is not in his vocabulary.

aikidoka on May 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM

And the boy-king Orificebama has asked for the smack-down he is getting in polls, elections, and what he will get for his party in November.

ray on May 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM

“We started it — and by “we,” I of course mean some random guy and a few others — and therefore we must accept the consequences. Forever.”

So Olby is ok with the N word being used now?

aikidoka on May 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Welcome back to kindergarten, Olby! Remember to wipe your nose and clean up after you go poopee.

Yitzchokm on May 7, 2010 at 12:15 AM

F*%K You, Olby… You asked for it.

Claypigeon on May 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Better to be a teabagger than a tebaggee, at least from a
hygiene point of view.

I’m not sure what teabagging is, but I think it’s getting person A’s package close to person B’s face. Better to be person A, just from a selfish position. But maybe I’m a little OCD.

bbhack on May 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM

K.O. is not O.K.

I’ll watch a clip of this boob’s lunacy when Obama says the words “Muslim terrorist“.

profitsbeard on May 7, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Well I’d think if anyone knew about Tea Bagging it would be Bathtub Boy

Rbastid on May 7, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Better to be a teabagger than a tebaggee, at least from a
hygiene point of view.

bbhack on May 7, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Better to be pissed off than pissed on.

But Olbermann speakes for those who want to greek us.

exception on May 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM

But Olbermann speakes for those who want to greek us.

exception on May 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Sucks to be Greek right now, but I did not get the reference. Not that I want an explanation – I like my ignorance sometimes.

bbhack on May 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Obama just attacked women children grandparents with this sexual insult. FOXNEWS should be on him all day to apologize.

PrezHussein on May 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM

So, just so I have this straight, Gwen Ifill ( if that really is your name), says she, a comedian (if you stretch the meaning), who joked about RHL having kidney failure, did not disclose that she was writing a book about Barry prior to the debate she moderated, who the media (OC Register here), ran a half page article that never mentioned the book deal, is going to volunteer to go under the bus so that the 6 people that are paralized under a pile of bricks that nobody even knows about and can’t change the channel thereby counting as Overbite viewers might believe that the 0 never knew what the term teabagging meant?

Hmm Hmm Hmm

sorry about the run on sentences

KZnextzone on May 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM

You can only teabag from the top. It is a dominant position.
If you want to get literal…

redshirt on May 7, 2010 at 2:30 AM

If we’re teabagg-ers, then that makes the libs teabag-ees. Let’s turn it around on them. When they insist on calling us teabaggers, let’s remind them who it is that is being tea-bagged.

Bob Mc on May 7, 2010 at 2:42 AM

I’ve had enough of Keith Olbermann. Marge Schott was banned for baseball for a year over one or two statements she made that were questionable. Olbermanns hate has far exceeded anything Schott ever did, yet he repeatedly gets a free pass.

Screw Keith Olbermann.

cannonball on May 7, 2010 at 3:23 AM

“The first big day for this movement was Tax Day, April 15. And organizers had a gimmick. They asked people to send a tea bag to the Oval Office. One of the exhortations was “Tea Bag the Fools in D.C.” A protester was spotted with a sign saying, “Tea Bag the Liberal Dems Before They Tea Bag You.” So, conservatives started it: started with this terminology. But others ran with it and ran with it”.

Could you please explain this whole “time travel” thing you are claiming to be real?

Correct me if I’m wrong but April 9th is BEFORE April 15th? Yes?

The first reference to “tea baggers” was April 9 2009 on Maddow show.

“Tea Bagging” Rallies Ruthlessly Mocked On Maddow Show

DSchoen on May 7, 2010 at 3:24 AM

I watched video 2, it was pretty good but that RGA video that used some of the same, or similar, clips said the same message in 30sec with cool music.

ted c on May 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM

I see that the D’ohbermann’s two-day colonoscopy did not improve his sh<tty outlook or his disposition.

onlineanalyst on May 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Why would anyone watch this guy?

Terrye on May 7, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Obowma, Uberdouche, Matthews, Madcow, Gibbs, Fwank, Pelosi, Reid, Pelosi, Dodd, Schumer, Cooper:

The douchebagging douchebaggers who wear their douchebags on their sleeves.

While they furiously try to turn America into Greece, the douchebag capital of the world.

Wake up America!

Remember November 2, 2010 or it’s too late.

Sweet_Thang on May 7, 2010 at 7:17 AM

Olby’s such a “wanna be”. I’m amazed people even watch him. The solution to this is to just not be insulted by the term. I’m not, and my standard come back for the slur is I’d rather be the teabagger than the teabagee. Remove the immature high school giggle factor, and turn it back on them.

graywaiter on May 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Anytime Olbergoebbels says the word “Teabagger” with that smirk on his face I think he’s thinking of his “Mini-Me” Chris Hayes and that effeminate Brit Richard Wolfe. All three pretty much look like the teabagging kind, and I’m not talking protesters at lawful assemblies. Maybe it’s just me. Seems Olbergoebbels has a lot of teabag on the brain and not just in his mouth.

By the way, I really dislike Olbergoebbels and his statist/marxist/socialist/Progressive propaganda. I’m hoping that when the Republicans take 100 seats in the House and 30 seats in the Senate, Olbergoebbels will pull a “Scanners” type fit live on air, with the obligatory head explosion. With how brainwashed and braindead as he is, this is a distinct possibility…….Bathtub Boy indeed.

adamsmith on May 7, 2010 at 7:21 AM

That’s it Uberdouche, don’t let those teabaggers sh*t all over you, open your mouth.

TURD!!!

Sweet_Thang on May 7, 2010 at 7:23 AM

His four viewers were leg-tingly with excitement, I bet.

Good Lt on May 7, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I’d rather be a teabagger than get f***ed in the a** by Obama.

Pcoop on May 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Bob Mc on May 7, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Absolutely brilliant!

Pcoop on May 7, 2010 at 7:54 AM

So since some African Americans use the “N” word…

mjbrooks3 on May 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Those who use the term derisively reveal their own attitudes towards the principles of the movement, nothing more.

How they choose to be derisive reflects upon their own sense of fair play and decency, which is obviously not terribly important to them.

I’ve seen similar attitudes expressed frequently on this blog by so-called conservatives, too, however; so it’s not an issue that is limited to liberals.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I love how all the white folks are calling this racism. What do they know about racism?

sheesh on May 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Great. This means that because Dear Liar worked with Bill Ayers on some murky level on education, that means that The Whine is an anti-American communist terrorist. Also, because some who protested the Iraq war were for the elimination of Israel, that means that Dear Liar wants all Jews to be exterminated.

Own it, racist Keith Olbermann.

rbj on May 7, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Olbermann is pure rancid pond scum. Why anybody listens to this pile of goat dung is beyond comprehension.

rplat on May 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM

If turds could Poop then you would have Olby.

5u93rm4n on May 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

So, if Alphatard wants to keep accusing others of sucking balls, as some kind of insult, with no evidence, it’s OK to bring up Olberman’s exploits (well, embarrassing attempts at them anyway) with a groupie that goes by the name of Karmabites1.

And it’s probably OK to keep repeating the rumours of real tteabagging, pursued by one jug eared President, back in his Chicago bathhouse days.

Right?

MNHawk on May 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

F*%K You, Olby… You asked for it.

Claypigeon on May 7, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Why doesn’t Comcast dump all those ignorant $hitheads?

saiga on May 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM

In the words of Abrahm Lincoln:

“It’s better to let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.”

PJ Emeritus on May 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM

KZnextzone on May 7, 2010 at 1:41 AM

Gwen did the best job of all in moderating. She’s a stand-up professional whom I still think should have been given the job at Meet the Press. (I think I’m right about the job she was up for.)

They went with pretty George instead. Too bad.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Every time I hear someone on the Left use the term “teabagger” I cannot help but think of Beavis or Butthead (I was never really clear on which was which) saying “Heh Heh, you said ‘teabagger.’” It’s just like some juvenile 12-year-old getting away with saying something naughty that his parents don’t know is naughty. If it weren’t so insidious, I’d actually feel sad for these jerks who just can’t seem to grow up.

BananaSlug on May 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM

IMHO, it is better to be a Tea Bagger than a Douche Bagger any ole day. ;o)

DannoJyd on May 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Marge Schott was suspended from baseball for a YEAR for a couple of questionable comments in 1993. Today? If you are a liberal you can say whatever you want with no fears or accountability.

Screw Keith Olbermann.

cannonball on May 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Boy Olberman you sure showed us by bragging about a poll saying that Republicans are still 10% more motivated to vote or something…..

Speedwagon82 on May 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM