Oh my: Palin endorses … Carly Fiorina; Update: Palin responds to critics

posted at 4:37 pm on May 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’ll be fun watching commenters freak out about this.

Carly is the Commonsense Conservative that California needs and our country could sure use in these trying times. Most importantly, she’s running for the right reasons. She has an understanding that is sorely lacking in D.C. She’s not a career politician. She’s a businesswoman who has run a major corporation. She knows how to really incentivize job creation. Her fiscal conservatism is rooted in real life experience. She knows that when government grows, the private sector shrinks under the burden of debt and deficits. We can trust Carly to do the right thing for America’s economy and to make the principled decisions she has throughout her professional career.

Please consider that Carly is the conservative who has the potential to beat California’s liberal senator, Barbara Boxer, in November. I’m a huge proponent of contested primaries, so I’m glad to see the contest in California’s GOP, but I support Carly as she fights through a tough primary against a liberal member of the GOP who seems to bear almost no difference to Boxer, one of the most leftwing members of the Senate. Carly needs our support in this crucial election year when we have a real chance of putting an end to the Pelosi/Reid “Big Government” agenda…

California is still Reagan Country, and Carly promises her “Reagan Conservative” values will be put to good use for her state and for our great nation. Shaking it up in California is long overdue. Let’s help Carly do it!

Yeah, Chuck DeVore’s the “true conservative” blogosphere favorite but he’s also hovering at 13.6 percent at last check in the poll of polls. Sarahcuda likely took a hard look at the numbers, figured her endorsement wouldn’t be enough of a bump to salvage him (especially in a blue state that’s likely to have more than its fair share of RINOs), and decided to stick with someone who has a better chance to win. Besides, as Ambinder points out, Fiorina has deep pockets and now owes her a big favor, which will come in handy if Palin decides to run in 2012 or 2016. And don’t forget that Fiorina was a campaign advisor to McCain two years ago. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Palin this year, it’s that she’s loyal to a fault.

I think we need to poll this one to measure the heart-ache. Below the poll you’ll find the latest Democratic attack ad; fans of Carly’s freaky triple deaky “demon sheep” spot won’t be disappointed. Exit question: Won’t the Palin endorsement be a liability for Fiorina in the general election in a state as leftist as California?

Update: Uh oh. A grassroots revolt on Palin’s Facebook page?

Update: An update to her Facebook post. Good enough?

I’d like to add a few things about my Carly endorsement because some reaction right out of the chute calls for more information:

Carly has been endorsed by the National Right to Life, the California Pro-Life Council, and the Susan B. Anthony List. She is pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-military, and pro-strict border security and against amnesty. She is against Obamacare and will vote to repeal it and prevent the government takeover of private companies and industries. Carly is also a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Like me, she is a member of the NRA, has a 100% NRA rating, and she and her husband are gun owners. She is pro-energy development and believes as I do in an all-of-the-above approach to energy independence. She is against cap and tax. And most importantly, Carly is the only conservative in the race who can beat Barbara Boxer. That’s no RINO. That’s a winner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

The way this plays out she has one case scenerio where she wins big and gets to come out as a political genius. But there are a dozen or so outcomes to this endorsement where she just marginalized herself. You guys who are all happy about this are right. She definitely has some cajones.

Bottom Line: If her endorsement leads to Carley being nominated, she better hope to heck Conservatives come out for her. If they do and Carley wins, we have TWO YEARS of Carley votes to compare to Sarah’s statement that she’s a true Conservative. If Carley comes anywhere at all to looking like Scott Brown, she’ll lose her credibility as a “reformer” and “commonsense Conservative” and all the other little coin phrases that make up her personality. That doesn’t even include what happens if McCain wins as well. That’s a lot of wishful thinking on her part.

Picture it now: Carley, Brown, Graham, Snowe, Collins, and McCain stand together for cap n’ trade and/or amnesty and/or squashing repeal. How’s that gonna play out between 2010-2012? Honestly. You gonna get on board for more of that stuff? Really?

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM

You’re cutting off your nose to spite your face. Would you rather have six more years of Barbara Boxer’s votes? I lived in L.A. for several years, and I can’t think of a single case where the candidate I voted for actually won. Until the ideological landscape in California changes, this will continue to be the case. I’ll take someone who will vote my way the majority of the time, or at least has the potential to be persuaded, over someone I know is going to screw me everytime. If you want true conservatives representing you, you’re probably going to have to move. That’s why I did (well, that’s not why I moved, but it’s been a happy byproduct).

NoLeftTurn on May 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM

NoLeftTurn on May 6, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Bravo NLT……It is too bad that you, myself and many others seem to, (at times), be talking to a brick wall of “purist”, many who took their marbles in 06 and refused to even go to the polls to support their local candidates.

Sultry has made excellent arguments that deserve to be debated and commended for her strong conservative motives, yet it is not the logical course for sending Boxer into retirement. Vote for your Republican candidate in the Primarys, BUT give your full weight to the winner to achieve the ultimate goal, which is to unseat this liberal threat to our nations direction. Any other course does little to reach the end results.

Rovin on May 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

So does “Commonsense Conservative ” replace “Compassionate Conservative“? The meaning is the same (Big Gov’t Republican) or RINO!

Carly Fiorina is a RINO. (I don’t know what a “mainstream conservative” is as Carly calls herself.) The only time RINOS want to be a conservative is when they are running for election.

RedRobin145 on May 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Half full, half empty– choose your attitude.

leftnomore on May 6, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Quit lying about Carly’s record. She is not for cap and trade. She is not for amnesty. She is a pro-life, pro-Second Amendment, pro-traditional marriage fiscal conservative.

ramrocks on May 7, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Rovin on May 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Exactly. Right now what we must concentrate on is wresting back control of Congress from the Democrats. There are a lot of people newly running as Republicans in this fight, and the only thing we can do is hope that, if elected, they live up to their campaign platforms. If not, then when they’re up for reelection we’ll have to try someone with a more conservative platform. Trial and error for awhile, I’m afraid, as the existing GOP, for the most part, is comprised largely of spineless dolts and insiders who are afraid to stand out and fight the liberal machine.

There are exceptions, of course, like Paul Ryan and DeMint and a handful of others. If they continue to fight, and fight hard, they’ll be the future leaders we’ll need to stand with and guide the newer Conservative members of Congress after November. Heaven help us if McCain gets reelected because he’ll simply revert to his Gang of Fourteen mode, so we’ll need a strong voting block to neutralize him.

KendraWilder on May 7, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Sarah is crazy like an Artic Fox!

Go Sarah!

sarahpalinfan99 on May 7, 2010 at 5:26 AM

DeVore isn’t doing well enough to back. We are talking about CA, after all, not Kansas.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Lulz, people want folks who are principled in their views. It’s obvious with this endorsement, Palin is about as principled as Obama.

Someone get the Cane and pull Sarah off the stage.

Notorious GOP on May 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I find Sarah’s reasoning here to be very strong. She makes a compelling case.

dczombie on May 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I don’t think Sarah gives a flyin’ f-ck what the second guess know it all’s on blogs like this think.

THAT’S why I like her.

LtE126 on May 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

This busts open the narrative of mindless “Palinbots.” We’ve seen honest and open disagreement about her decision.

And as usual, Palin shows good and independent instinct here, and this decision will serve her well. She is not stupidly eccentric or vainly defiant of conventional thinking. She knows how to play the game, and win. That’s the only way to get in a position to change the game.

rrpjr on May 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I have been openly doubtful of Palin’s prospects since very early on, and continue to be. This pick doesn’t dismay me, however, and her update/explanation seems sound from the perspective of this particular race if nothing else.

I’m still not gung-ho about her national office prospects, but she seems on a good path to assuaging many of those fears at some point down the road.

Midas on May 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I personally prefer DeVore but there is nothing wrong with Fiorina. We have a better chance of beating Babs with Carly. Good endorsement.

motionview on May 7, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Barbara Boxer is CARRYING the cap-and-tax bill in the Senate. Defeating her is paramount. Nothing will kill that bill faster than California electing a Republican Senator and Governor who oppose it.

rockmom on May 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

rrpjr on May 7, 2010 at 9:33 AM

THAT’S why I like her.

LtE126

WELL SAID.

And Allah, so glad you broke out the WINK picture again. It was probably burning a hole in your hard drive.

Dan Pet on May 7, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I still trust Sarah Palin. There aren’t many political people I can say that about. Honesty matters. I trust Sarah Palin to be honest.

redwhiteblue on May 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Tom Campbell is doing well, better than Carly, in fact. He’s a very moderate guy and would be super-easy to endorse, in my opinion.

I think she took a good risk with Carly. Carly and she like one another, from all reports. She’s another GOP woman who deserves support. And she has a very good shot here.

She’s got the money. She’s very close to Campbell. And she polls well against Boxer right now.

It’s a bit of a long-shot, but worth trying.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Perhaps she is building a coalition of the willing? If she wins in 2012, she is going to need help. We are not going to right the ship without some committed people in Congress. What better way to make a Senator committed than to have THEM owe YOU a favor since YOU were the one that helped them get elected!

The more I think about this, the more I think this is a Cuda moment.

Sometimes in politics you cannot support the best people because of the electorate in the state. Sometimes you have to make a politically wise decision. I am pro-life, but if I had been able to vote for Rudy G. over McCain, I would have because I would have loved Rudy as POTUS versus our current president who is whole hog for infanticide.

As we move forward with these elections there are going to be times when Conservatives like Governor Palin are faced with decisions we are going to be upset about, but we must look at the larger picture. Right now we need a majority in Congress. We need a super majority by 2012. We cannot stop the crap the Regime is putting in place without a super majority. Hello, anyone seeing what is going down in Great Britain? No super majority, no reform, no strong country.

freeus on May 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Wow! It’s good a lot of you didn’t follow Palin as Governor before McCain picked her. She was a pragmatist as much as she was a conservative. What she isn’t is an idologue. She’s sees the big picture and does what she thinks is best to get the job done–without selling her soul in the process.

Notice she doesn’t slam DeVore in her endorsemenet of Fiorina but she does slam Campbell for being just as liberal as Boxer. Her endorsement is an acknowledgement that DeVore cannot win and is becoming the spoiler that could lead to Campbell being the nominee. This isn’t Alabama or Texas. It’s California. Palin is being practical and showing how committed she is to taking back Congress.

Redneck Woman on May 7, 2010 at 10:39 AM

If you look at the Real Clear Politics composite, you’ll discover that Fiorina is about 7 points behind Campbell. DeVore is 20 points behind. Palin made an intelligent decision.

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Someone get the Cane and pull Sarah off the stage.

Notorious GOP on May 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM

And, whom do you suggest replaces her on the stage?

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I suspect Campbell will win, but Palin really did help Carly out here.

I think she’d be absolutely fine as a senator from CA. I wish Carly well, but that darn sheep ad still bugs me.

LOL*

I support her in spirit, anyway, but that did NOT show good judgment.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

And, whom do you suggest replaces her on the stage?

bw222 on May 7, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Frankly, that’s not engineered. Who commands attention is based on public response.

AnninCA on May 7, 2010 at 11:18 AM

If all of those endorsements are true, what’s the problem? I guess I don’t know enough about Shakyland’s politics.

Mr. Grump on May 7, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Fiorina worked as McCain top financial adviser during the campaign! Remember the melt-down and McCain saying ‘the fundamentals of the Economy are strong’? Did he get that line from Fiorina?

Do you remember the whole “Stop My Campaign” financial crisis that put McCain’s candidacy in jeopardy? I guess Sarah not only isn’t bothered by that she endorse both of the people involved in it. A big part of that “Act” is why we got the $700 billion Stimulus Package and a President Obama. If I were in Arizona, I wouldn’t vote for McCain. Breathing life back into that man when he was/is on the verge of retirement is an unforgivable act. He alone has caused more difficulties for Republicans.

Sultry Beauty on May 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Fiorina’s record of gushing over anti-Israeli Muslims and praising and giving millions to Jesse Jackson is a wee bit too much for me to stomach.

Why, oh why did you make this horrible choice, Sarah? You did not vet Fiorina enough.

Edouard on May 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM

The left-leaning Los Angeles Times on Friday declined to offer endorsements in all Democratic and Republican primaries for governor and Senate, saying the races have been undermined by politics and money.

Sorry Sarah, not endorsing Chuck or simply staying out of it, if things go your way, will cause a missed opportunity. This will not be forgotten lightly, I assure you.

What I said about the climate in California being ripe to have even the (as you people like to think) extreme right wing voted as a Senator. If you can’t see that, you all are politically blind.

Sultry Beauty on May 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM

To those complaining about Carly (and Scott Brown): If they were running in Tennessee, I would vote agin em. But if I lived in MA (shudder) I would happily have voted for Brown. And if I lived in CA (retch) I would quickly vote for Carly. It is about who you can get elected, and in some states you are not going to get everything you want.

Skywatcher44 on May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Deep sigh.

MCGIRV on May 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Midas on May 7, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Well stated, very close to my sentiments about her.

ray on May 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Carly is the only choice in CA. Campbell is an Islamist supporter in the take of oil money, Devore cannot win a general election in CA and Boxer is pitifull. Carly is the best choice and if the Repubs pick anyone else, they will lose and Carly is much more conservative on fiscal and foreign policy issues than most of you believe.

georgealbert on May 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM

rockmom on May 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

georgealbert on May 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM

How do you live with Carly’s support of cap-n-tax in 2008 and wanting a gov’t bailout of HP?

Seems odd that Sarah would align herself with this mess?

She’s obviously a nightmare and no real Conservative.

And Sarah Palin is looking more and more like just another typical politician.

AprilOrit on May 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM

THAT’S why I like her.

LtE126 on May 7, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Ok, but the reason people in the Tea Party intially supported her – because she didn’t care about winning. She wanted to support people who may not win but were real Conservatives and ran on Conservative principles.

That is not what she is doing.

If you know anything about me, which you don’t, you’d know that I have supported Sarah up to now. I’m not anti-Sarah Palin dude, I’m anti-Sarah Palin’s endorsement of Carly.

GO CHUCK DEVORE. I suppose since Michelle Malkin supports Chuck DeVore she’s anti-Sarah Palin as well. I’m sorry. I have a right to air my disagreement about someone from Alaska endorse a California Senate candidate that I, as a resident of California, oppose. Deal with it!

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM

You are exactly on the money, Palin is very wrong about this and she is contradicting herself bigtime. She is doing exactly what she said she would not do.

I am curious to see what Michelle thinks of this. McCain was one thing, but this is really a stupid move on her part, based on what she has been saying all along.

AprilOrit on May 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM

It’s really pretty pathetic to see all the lying about Carly Fiorina’s record. Really pathetic. Meanwhile, a genuine RINO is going to win the nomination because a small percentage of conservatives are throwing a temper tantrum over a candidate polling at 13%.

ramrocks on May 8, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Respond to THIS, Palinbot neocons!

They won’t care that the empty vesselette in a skirt suit endorsed a close friend of race merchant/shakedown king Jesse Jackson, which Fiorina is. They couldn’t care less that Fiorina, just days after 9/11, gave a drooling speech about Islam. I’ve written about both of these things, exposed by conservative Republican and Orthodox Rabbi Dov Fischer, in a MUST-READ article on Fiorina, which documents Fiorina’s expansion of HP into Iran and how she violated embargo laws to sell ink to the country.

Included is a video…BUT WAIT…THERE’S MORE!

Palin calls this fraud, Fiorina, “the Commonsense Conservative that California needs and our country could sure use in these trying times.” Hilarious. But what do you expect when Sarah Palin also praised pimp/drug/teen sex glorification artist Kid Rock’s “common sense ideas”?

SO MUCH FOR SARAH, EH YOU PALINBOT NEOCONS?!

BobAnthony on May 9, 2010 at 6:20 AM

ramrocks on May 8, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Then ramrocks what say you about THIS?!

Now Carly Fiorina tells us that she regards Jesse Jackson with reverence, and she actually worked with Jesse Jackson.

And how many millions of dollars did she authorize for Jesse Jackson when she was CEO at Hewlett-Packard? (Hint: at least $15 million) Yet, minority business leaders themselves have been at the forefront of exposing that Jackson took the money and ran, focusing more on shaking down American corporations to finance his Rainbow Coalition/Operation PUSH gambits than actually to help African Americans, Latinos, and others gain access to meaningful employment in the high-tech community.

California Republicans have to consider whether the state party needs a candidate who is so wrong for us at such a critical time. Certainly, Ms. Fiorina will scare and drive Jewish conservatives away from the party base at a time when we, perhaps more than other Californians, are so determined to see Barbara Boxer – uh, “Senator” Barbara Boxer (she worked very hard for the title, as we know) – returned to private life.

The Year 2010 is going to be a banner year throughout America for Republicans. Republicans are positioned to take back Democrats’ United States Senate seats in Massachusetts, Nevada, Colorado, North Dakota, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Arkansas. New York may be in play, as may be Connecticut. And even in California, the Democrat seat is waiting for a GOP transition. California is reeling under the weight of three decades of liberal experimentation, dating back primarily to the years that Jerry Brown was governor (1975-1983) of California. This social experimentation has (i) paralyzed efforts within California to identify and expand energy-producing resources, (ii) granted unions massive domination and rule over the state’s governing process, and (iii) imposed tax-and-spend theories and practices that have driven wealth out of California in extraordinary numbers and at an extraordinary pace.

From driving out profitable businesses under the weight of “Workers Comp Gone Wild” and rising taxes and red-tape to spending liberally on government social services for illegal immigrants, California has subverted its envied position on the American and world stage. Now California’s tragic social-engineering experiments have driven our Golden State, once the envy of all America, into a state that issues “I.O.U. drafts” because there is no cash left to pay our bills. Not every Californian is positioned to identify every underlying cause of the state’s financial collapse from greatness, but Californians know that Democrats have presided over the state’s demise. Against this socio-political background, Barbara Boxer has been a particularly significant embarrassment to the state, a remarkably ineffective representative in Washington.

As of this writing, she has been locked in polls for half a year with a statewide popularity rating of 46% — a virtual political death sentence for an incumbent. (Incumbents whose popularity numbers plummet below 50% typically are defeated when an election ensues, as their insurgent challengers become known. Consider how Scott Brown picked up 30 points in two months on the well known Massachusetts Attorney-General, Martha Coakley, whom he defeated for the “People’s Seat” in Massachusetts.)

The only reason that Boxer has lasted this long as a Senator — three terms and eighteen years — is that she has had a fascinating string of unbelievable good luck. In 1992 she was elected to the U.S. Senate by fewer than five percentage points, opposing a social conservative after a last-minute revelation that her formidable Republican opponent, Bruce Herschensohn, had attended a strip club. Her opponent never before had run an election race. In 1998 she again lucked-out, as the Republicans ran Matt Fong against her. You may remember Matt Fong – not. He had no presence, no charisma, and merely was a nice enough fellow who had been State Treasurer. If you are reading this, you could have beaten Matt Fong. And then more luck – the Republicans did it again in 2004, this time with former California Secretary of State Bill Jones standing in the opposing corner.

So Boxer has been in the U.S. Senate for eighteen years – three terms – by the greatest run of good fortune, being opposed by candidates who would not win. During those years, other major states have sent to Washington legislative powerhouses like Hillary Clinton and Charles Schumer (New York), Barack Obama and Dick Durbin (Illinois), Ted Kennedy and John Kerry (Massachusetts), and California also has sent a powerhouse representative, Dianne Feinstein. By contrast, Boxer – uh, Senator Boxer – stands out remarkably as the one who remarkably does not stand out, except when she embarrasses herself and her constituents. Not to mention her 87 overdrafts, which put her among those miscreants in the center of the notorious House Bank Overdraft Scandal, leading her to tell the New York Times that “in painful retrospect, I clearly should have paid more attention to my account.”

And now she reposes on the precipice of more luck. On the one hand, this stands to be the year that Boxer gets knocked out of the ring — and not merely by a tepid TKO — if Republicans oppose Boxer with a solid, politically experienced candidate with a proven record of effective public service and a demonstrated commitment to sensible conservative principles. Chuck DeVore is exactly such a candidate. By contrast, what a shame it would be for Republicans to lose this opportunity if they instead present voters with a political novice whose own record of disturbing naivete in the political arena, particularly on matters pertaining to the Mideast, depresses the party’s chances.

Carly Fiorina is quasi-accomplished. For a time, she was CEO of Hewlett-Packard. On the other hand, she was booted out. The Hewlett-Packard Board paid her $42 million to leave immediately: $21 million in immediate payout and another $21 million in stock options. As news of her ouster reached Wall Street on the day she was removed from H-P, the company’s stock shares rose more than ten percent in a matter of hours! Is this the best the GOP can offer Californians as an alternative to Boxer?

During her H-P tenure, Hewlett-Packard shares dropped 49% in value. She laid off more than 20,000 H-P employees and outsourced tens of thousands of American jobs overseas, cruelly stating: “There is no job that is America’s God-given right anymore.” See, e.g., Los Angeles Times, Aug. 6, 2008. Rich Heintz, editor of California Job Journal, wrote responsively in the San Francisco Chronicle: “This Marie Antoinette-inspired remark makes me wonder if HP hasn’t already offshored its public relations department.” When President George W. Bush briefly contemplated naming Fiorina (after her ouster), to head the World Bank, the Times of London pleaded against rewarding failure.

Where in the world does Fiorina stand on issues? Well, for starters, she hardly ever votes on election days. At least Barack Obama, as an Illinois legislator, would show up to vote “Present.” Fiorina never showed up to vote most years. In the past decade, she voted only in 6 of 14 elections. The prior decade, she did not even vote at all. She might as well have voted “Absent.”

BobAnthony on May 9, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Palin Facing Tea Party Backlash

Former Alaska governor facing fierce criticism for backing Carly Fiorina in California’s GOP Senate primary

This was a bad decision by Sarah. What just happened in Utah is proof of this. The house cleaning of all RINO’s is taking place, but will take some time. Backing a pure RINO is indeed very telling, and I’m a big Sarah fan.

Keemo on May 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM

SO MUCH FOR SARAH, EH YOU PALINBOT NEOCONS?!

BobAnthony on May 9, 2010 at 6:20 AM

Are you kidding? Sarah is a (lipsticked) hog greased with Teflon. Nothing sticks, nobody can stop her from squealing, and she has political evasive skills that would rival Batman’s physical ones.

Dark-Star on May 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM