Nashville: The disaster America ignored?

posted at 9:30 am on May 6, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico has drawn plenty of media attention, and for good reason. It touches on environmental, energy, and competence issues for the American government, and it has cost eleven people their lives. Can we clean up a major spill from an offshore drilling rig? If we can’t stop it from spewing oil quickly, our entire energy policy and the idea of energy independence could be at risk, at least politically.

However, the national media has overlooked another disaster in Nashville. Torrential rains have flooded a major American city, causing over a billion dollars in damage, which puts the crisis among the most expensive natural disasters in American history. Except for a couple of brief mentions, hardly any attention at all has been paid to it at all. Perhaps that’s because, as this video suggests, Tennessee has tried handling it themselves (via Newsbusters):

CNN did provide some coverage of the flood, which has killed at least nineteen people:

Nearly a week after record-setting rain swelled rivers to historic levels and sent a torrent of water rushing through Nashville, much of the Tennessee city of about 1 million people remained flooded. …

As rescue and recovery crews continued to look for more bodies, the death toll across the Southeast from the weekend storm stood at 28 on Wednesday.

Nineteen of the deaths were in Tennessee, with nine in Nashville alone. Two residents are missing, Dean’s office said.

The mayor estimated the flood damage to top $1 billion easily.

The storms have killed 28 people in the American Southeast. The Red Cross is trying to help. We may not be able to help with the Gulf crisis, but we can help the folks of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Mississippi by donating cash and goods through the Red Cross effort.

Update: WSMV will hold a telethon tonight that will be live-streamed on their site.  Dig deep.

Update II: I didn’t know this when I wrote the post, but there is a Townhall/Salem Communications link to this story, too. I received this statement from Townhall a few minutes ago:

Townhall Magazine subscriptions are handled out of Salem’s Nashville office and sadly Townhall Magazine’s circulation manager had her house flooded with more than 8 feet of water. Word is that it going to be a total loss. Our prayers and support go to Jamie in her moment of need.

Jamie, you’re in our prayers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

and the heavy winter storms, surprise, were also predicted by climate change models.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Lets just say you are correct, what could have or should have been done that would have prevented the flood?
or saved property? Or is it just a worthless prediction that someday there will be a flood?
Everyone goes green and we shut down the economy, how long before we are all safe from the climate?

jywill on May 6, 2010 at 12:48 PM

My husband found out about this the other night, when he came across a picture of Millington, TN. Apparently the entire base is flooded, and all the advancement boards are on hold until further notice. So we’re scrounging together some money to send help that way – my husband is up for chief again this year, and if he doesn’t make it, he’s getting out (so this is a big deal for us).

I’m not all that surprised about the lack of coverage. Not anymore.

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Professor Blather on May 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Will keep your wife and your family in or prayers. I’m sorry to hear this. I just had one of my students tell me she was on I-24 and Bell Road when the water suddenly rose up. They were terrified. Fortunately they were rescued. They were on their way to Nashville for her 11 birthday party. They were on scene where the school portable floated down the interstate and then collapsed on itself.

robblefarian on May 6, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Our current suite of climate models do not have the fidelity to predict day to day weather outcomes, AT ALL. I mean, putting aside the intellectual sloth that it takes to publicize an anecdote as empirical evidence of a larger trend, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

There’s people on the thread with friends and family who have been devastated and you’re lecturing them about climate change? I can’t think of a better way to make lifelong enemies.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 12:21 PM

spare me the fake outrage, will you? i noted the “coincidence” between a 2008 study predicting more extreme weather in tennessee and the unprecedented flood now.

your denialism is complicit in our failure to even be prepared for the impact of global warming.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

I should mention that Millington, TN, is the home of the Navy Support Activity (the personnel command) for the US Navy. It’s where advancement boards are held, among other things – it’s a fairly important base. You’d think major flooding and damage on a military institution would be worth the President’s time, no?

Here’s an article I came across about the base: http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=53035

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Professor Blather on May 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

My heart goes out to you and your family. If you need anything at all, just let us know.

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Wow. Just Wow. Family will be traveling through there next week. I had no idea how bad it was. Prayers.

txmomof6 on May 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Oh I assure you, my outrage is the farthest thing from fake.

I genuinely think you’re a scumbag and that the world would be a better place without you or people like you. You’re and excellent example of the amalgamation of willful stupidity and self righteous moralizing that characterizes the post-rational left.

Climate models are not useful for predicting weather and never have been. There is no empirical way to link this flood to anthropogenic global warming. The modern right wing could have embraced AGW from day one and this would STILL have happened. That you’d dare to come here and crow about it while people are grieving shows just what a horrible human being you are.

In summary, please go find a fire to die in and for the love of all things holy, please don’t breed.

I’m done talking to you.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I’m in Franklin, just south of Nashville, waiting for my $2,500 FEMA debit card. I’m sure it will be here any day now.

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:02 PM

The Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society is taking donations to assist Navy and Marine Corps personnel assigned to the affected area. Checks can be specifically marked for “Flood Relief,” while credit card donations will apparently go to the general fund. You can find more information at the NMCRS website: http://www.nmcrs.org/index.html. Information specific to Millington can be found here: http://www.nmcrs.org/flood2010.pdf.

ScaryBiscuits on May 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I have been watching the news but have not caught when the Hollywood Fundraiser is going to be held.

Anyone know when and where it is?

/s

WoosterOh on May 6, 2010 at 1:13 PM

ScaryBiscuits on May 6, 2010 at 1:12 PM

You’re awesome! Thanks for posting that!

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

self righteous moralizing

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 1:09 PM

pathetic.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Ed, thanks for the post. Fifty-two (of 95) counties in Tennessee have been declared a disaster by Gov Bredesen. I’m in West Tennessee and we’re seeing historical levels of the Cumberland river. Homes, businesses, autos, roads and bridges all destroyed; check out Dyer, Madison & Montgomery counties. So sad.

Team Obama is too busy for a flyover; they’re all huddled around a tv watching Cavuto.

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 1:27 PM

last winter was among the warmest on record

Measured how? Air temps are affected by the latent heat of fusion from all that … snow.

DrSteve on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM

he forgot to say it was by satellite data, you know the data they said a few years ago was reading too cold, and they had to adjust it, guess the adjustments went overboard.

RonK on May 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM

pathetic.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Introspection is usually done with the inner monologue.

Inanemergencydial on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

You’re awesome! Thanks for posting that!

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

No thanks necessary. As a former sailor with family still on active duty, I know we try to take care of our own. =)

ScaryBiscuits on May 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Introspection is usually done with the inner monologue.

Inanemergencydial on May 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM

unless you’re immanentizing the eschaton.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

unless you’re immanentizing the eschaton.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

You are clearly drawing heaven down to earth!

Inanemergencydial on May 6, 2010 at 1:43 PM

ScaryBiscuits on May 6, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That we do. NMCRS is one of my husband’s collateral duties, and he’s been busy with it at work – I don’t know why it took me so long to put 2 and 2 together. I blame this head cold.

Bad joke, but I can’t resist – does this mean Millington is sea duty now?

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Did Tennessee go for Obama in the election?
Has he said anything about the suffering going on?

I’m not being a smartass, just asking.

Fartnokker on May 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

global warming has nothing to do with this. maybe the planet is warming, but no one has proved that it is man made or cyclical. the earth has had warming and cooling periods.
what man has done is to develop his environment. he has built cities. he has built neighborhoods. in this environments he has laid down a tremendous amount of asphalt, concrete, and cement. every building, every house, every sidewalk, every parking lot, everything that isn’t “dirt” decreases the ability of the environment’s ability to absorb rainwater and let the watershed handle it naturally. floods are natural. why we may see more 100 year floods is not due to “global warming.” it is because of development. that rainwater has to go somewhere. in a city and urban sprawl, that water can only go up, not down in the ground.

photoboy74 on May 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I am still waitin’ fo my BIG SKREEN TeeVee that I was sposed to git aftah Rita.
Dont be rushin’ to the Big store now.
Bless yo heart, from South of you.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Ok then “genius” what exactly would have done, specifically, to prevent this from happening. And please, by all means, show us what proof you have that what you would have done is guarnteed to have saved Nashville from the wrath of mother nature.

I’ll bet that you have no evidence or proof that anything your feeble little mind could come up with would have saved Nashville from this. It’s all just conjecture, and in the end, the exact same thing will have very likely happened even with a reduction of carbon emissions to pre-industrial revolution levels.

Put up, or go away. Vulture.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 6, 2010 at 2:11 PM

this is exactly the right time to remind you that the catastrophe has been predicted by the climate change models you’re trying to discredit.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Since we’ve always had floods and droughts, it was a given that we would have more. Awesome prediction.

People like you are a ready-made target for con-men and demagogues. You apparently have no ability to think logically. Which just might explain how we wound up with Obama as president.

tom on May 6, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Bad joke, but I can’t resist – does this mean Millington is sea duty now?

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

::snort::

You’re right — that’s bad. Funny. But bad. ;)

ScaryBiscuits on May 6, 2010 at 2:18 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM

So, basically you predicted a flood in an area prone to flood. I can predict that if you hold a ball in your hand and you let it go, that it will hit the ground. Wow, I am a genius.

Here is an idea. Predict something in an area that hasn’t happened before in 100 plus years and is completely out of character for the region, such as torrential rain in the Sahara or the Mohave Deserts or the Monsoon in South East Asia not happening.

All you and your types are doing is predicting things that will happen, predict the unexpected and we will talk.

I predict, that next winter will be as bad as last winter and this summer Norris Lake will be spilling water over the spillway.

Holger on May 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Haven’t y’all caught on yet?

Only certain people can be victims.

Victim cities are only created by Republicans.

White trash and Nazis are never to be pitied.

Like the lady on MSNBC said, we must work to get rid of “out moded” bigotry.

We now have new moded bigotry!

IlikedAUH2O on May 6, 2010 at 2:36 PM

txmomof6 on May 6, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I was just out and went from West End Ave to Goodlettsville back thru downtown. IT STINKS in some areas..I mean it REALLY REALLY STINKS. The smell is overwhelming in some areas that look perfectly NORMAL. It smells of sewage and damp. Horrible. I had my AC on and windows up and could STILL smell it.
There are dumpsters full of damaged wet, soggy, nasty possesions. Peoples LIVES…gone.
I went thru downtown..part of Lower Broadway is open..from 4thAveN to the river is CLOSED and still without power. It was weird to see business open and people out just a couple of blocks from there.

Bridgestone Arena was supposed to host the Natl Day of Prayer..they are all sitting outside on folding chairs competing with some of the sounds from the reopened few bars.

Overall, on the major thoroughfares, it looks “normal”. Then you go in a couple of blocks and things begin to look “different”..then the SMELL hits you.

I didnt get to the Opryland Hotel area, I will try to go there tomorrow. Continue to use the following resources for updates:

wlac.com
tennessean.com
wsvm.com (LIVE STREAMING TELETHON TONIGHT 7-10PM CST)

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 10:05 AM

How dare you use this flood as “exactly the right time” to promote your political agenda. Why don’t you come on down with a broom and a shovel and do some good for somebody. Our feet are still wet here in Nashville. The water is still in our houses and in our businesses while you use our misery to support your myth!

tnarch on May 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Here is a video posted on Drudge

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Most of the country could learn some lessons from how Nashville is responding to tragedy. We’ll be fine. And when y’all need help, we’ll be the first to volunteer. It’s what we do.

Professor Blather on May 6, 2010 at 12:32 PM

And that is the reason Tennessee has been dubbed “The Volunteer State.”

What faith-filled and indominatable spirit that poster conveys. It is a lesson to us all.

onlineanalyst on May 6, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Hope your husband makes CPO. It’s a tremendous step and CPO’s are tremendous assets both the bluejackets and officers.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Saw on news channel 4 website that of everyone affected in Davidson county (i.e. only the Nashville Metro area)4100 had flood insurance. 600,000 did not. Why? Because none of them were in a “flood zone”. This is totally unprecedented for the area and people who have lived near benign creeks and rivers for years have lost everything.

Thankfully, Nashvillians can hold it together and have been helping each other since day one to recover.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Anna on May 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

All the shore sailors are wishing they’d STAY shore sailors right about now…..

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:29 PM

LastRick on May 6, 2010 at 10:45 AM

For all those HotAir readers living in Bellevue, God bless. It got hit and hit hard.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Did Tennessee go for Obama in the election?
Has he said anything about the suffering going on?

I’m not being a smartass, just asking.

Fartnokker on May 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Tennessee is a RED state. :)

Please keep Tennessee in your thoughts and prayers; SO MANY have lost everything in this flood. I’m off now to help package food for flood victims; we need every volunteer we can get; so come to Tennessee this weekend, roll up your sleeves and pitch in! We appreciate you for any help you can give!

TN Mom

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 3:38 PM

TN Mom,

God Bless. There are people who need it.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 3:40 PM

sesquipedaphilian on May 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM

And your ignorance and stupidity were predicted by Nostradamus.

Why should anyone be surprised that every imaginable disaster has been predicted by climate change “models”? That is what happens when worthless scumbags like you continue to push your ignorant political agenda.

Surprise moron, you can call it whatever you want and your inept and corrupt ideology does not work. Grow up and accept reality.

jdkchem on May 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Yeah, never happened before. Utterly unique occurances.

mugged on May 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM

“Heckuva job, Tommy.”

Django on May 6, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I’ve come on HotAir periodically over the past few days, and nothing…. I figured there would be at least a thread acknowledging the disaster and for people to offer prayers and encouragement, but nadda….When I saw two posts on the stupid basketball jerseys, and one on youtube parodies, and still nothing, I admit to being so offended I just logged off rather than posting the rant I felt like posting. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt that you guys just didn’t even know about it, but I’m glad to see it finally. This is a huge disaster.

Did Tennessee go for Obama in the election?
Has he said anything about the suffering going on?
I’m not being a smartass, just asking.
Fartnokker on May 6, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Tennessee for Obama… NO, that’s one of the reasons I live here. ;) TN didn’t even go for homeboy Gore in 2000. Although, the city of Nashville did vote Obama. I don’t know if he has actually made any public statements, but on Tuesday, Obama finally declared some parts, including Nashville, disaster areas.

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Ha! Hey there, neighbor! North Franklin here. I am one of the lucky ones in my neighborhood, living on relatively high ground, but probably a full third of my neighborhood has been devastated.

It was surreal watching the National Guard drive into the high water, only to park their vehicles and get out to wade-up to their chests/necks, not wanting to drive off into a deep culvert they couldn’t see. Neighbors canoeing around bringing people out of their flooded homes; it was like Venice, only the houses were under water. And no one has flood insurance. The ‘lucky’ family is the one whose house burned to the ground, since insurance will cover them.

Now, the water is gone, but the streets are still hard to pass, due to the demolition and all the cars from people here to help. Dumpsters every few houses, and they get filled faster than they can be dumped. But it is heartwarming and inspiring to see how people have pulled together, getting things done on their own; churches, businesses, and individuals donating meals for 100-200 victims and workers, supplies, manpower, etc… People who obviously don’t know where to go are coming in from other undamaged neighborhoods looking for ways to help… I love middle Tennessee.

But financial help is going to be needed and appreciated, when the victims get to the point where they have ripped out the damage and are dried out enough to start rebuilding. Someone in my neighborhood is working with a local bank branch to set up a community fund, so money can go directly to the victims and not deal with the issues people don’t like with the Red Cross, etc…but it isn’t up yet as far as I know.

Again, no one had flood insurance, because this was a once every 500 years flood. I’ve lived here for nearly 7 years, and the Harpeth that wraps around my neighborhood floods some roads nearby fairly frequently, but it has NEVER come even close to this high since my neighborhood has existed (for over 40 years). I apologize if I’m repeating, but we got a quarter years rain in three days. 5th wettest month ever recorded…in the first three days of the month; 14.75” is the record for Nashville and in the first three days, they got 13.57. And that is one of the lesser levels for Middle Tennessee. Here in Franklin, we got 14,85” and some areas got over 16…insane. Here are more of the totals:

tnarch on May 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM

+100000…

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Thanks for giving voice to some of our frustrations.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I hear you! I emailed EVERY BLOGGER and begged them to post a small notice about the RADIOTHON that was held on TUESDAY. NOT ONE of them did that..nothing. It was ONLY when Instapundit picked up the Newsbusters post this morning that they all jumped. Better late than never I guess…still…..

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I live in Bellevue in one of the hardest hit subdivisions. Thankfully, my house was not one of the ones that flooded but I can tell you – it is devastating. And that video made me smile. We ain’t called the Volunteer State for nothin’!

I have seen (and been humbled and honored to participate in) an overflowing outpouring of love and support.

Here is a story that USA today did on our neighborhood.

unmeritedfavor on May 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

unmeritedfavor on May 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Thanks for posting the article. From what I’ve heard all the triumph and sadness in that article is universal in Nashville. People are helping each other pickup the pieces.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

:*) I didn’t want to sound like a bratty crybaby, and we are the types to do for ourselves, but yeah, it felt like a slight, didn’t it? Wow, labwrs…Frustration is a good word. I must say, the rant I nearly posted in the Youtube parodies thread was verging on a tantrum. Fortunately, one of the neighbors had rented a margarita machine (though the rental place donated it to the cause) and had people over to her yard to drink after it got too dark to work, so I did that instead of throwing my online HotAir tantrum. ;) I love my neighborhood. I wish everyone could be as blessed as I, to have such wonderful neighbors.

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I’ve found that everyone in Nashville has wonderful neighbors at this point. Makes me proud.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Just got this from my neighborhood listserv. THANK YOU TIDE!!!!!!!!!!! It also has guidelines for displayed school sstudents.

SSent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 2:20 PM

Tide Loads for Hope trucks are coming to Nashville on Wednesday, May 12.
The Tide staff will literally wash, dry, and fold clothes for our neighbors who need it.
Locations to be announced: Please contact Tide at 800-879-8433 (press 0 for operator) and let them know Nashville needs Loads of Hope.
The more calls they receive the bigger priority we…… become.

Flooded Victims Guidelines – Metro Nashville Public Schools

* Students who have been displaced from their homes and currently reside elsewhere are allowed to remain in their current school regardless of where they reside now, even if it’s outside of Davidson County.

* If a family needs special transportation to remain at the currentschool, instruct them to contact the Customer Service Center at 259-INFOto discuss transportation options.

* Students who lost their standard school attire should not be expected to meet our guidelines immediately upon returning to school.Families needing assistance with SSA should contact the Homeless Office.
If the appropriate sizes are available, clothing will be sent to the child at school. Please note at this point in the year our SSA inventory is very low.

* Students who have been displaced from their homes will now qualify for free/reduced price lunches. The Homeless Office staff will complete approved free lunch forms for all eligible students upon receipt of the completed Student Residency Questionnaire.

* Students displaced from their homes who now reside elsewhere (either temporarily or permanently) have two choices of schools: the school in which they are now enrolled, or the school into whose zone they have moved. It is not necessary to submit an emergency hardship
transfer to attend either of these two schools.

** Some schools may receive students displaced from other counties. These students should be permitted to enroll as long as they provide an address in your zone.

All students who are absent because of the floods should be
marked as excused absences. It is not permissible to mark students present who are not attending school, regardless of the reason.
* It is not necessary for students to return flood-destroyed textbooks to schools. We do not want to spread mold into our schools.

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I was very, very, VERY disappointed at our bloggers we support and click on.I have donated to MANY causes out there that have been posted here and elsewhere but for us? Nothing UNTIL one of the “biggies” posted.

I started 2 threads on FreeRepublic on Tuesday and did get some Freeper response. God Bless FR!

Live and learn.

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 5:17 PM

pathetic.

sesquipedalian on May 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Yes, you are. See, I thought I was done, but you keep drawing me back in with your willfull idiocy.

Thing is, when you’re actually calling someone out for doing something awful, it’s not self-righteous moralism.

Truly you’re one of the worst people I’ve ever met online.

TheUnrepentantGeek on May 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM

This is quite a tragedy and terribly under-reported – as you observe.

This is also Tennessee and, with the exception of Memphis, we don’t look to the Federal government for help.

Why would we?

Nor do we loot, beg, look for someone to blame for an act of God, etc.

molonlabe28 on May 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM

labwrs on May 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Good on you for posting those facts.

Here’s some from my end.
For those of you in Nashville without Flood insurance:
1) Document the damage!

2) contact FEMA at FEMA.gov or call 1-800-621-3362 and start on the application for disaster relief.

FEMA needs Social Security numbers of those in the household affected by the flood, kind of insurance and company name, gross household income prior to the flood, and you’re home address and phone number.

Rightwingguy on May 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Ed, Thanks for the notice. We are in the process of tearing out our basement right now because of flooding and stage III mold and mildew. Yuck. We’re small potatoes compared to many.

We would have been noticed had there been a widespread looting spree or people hollering for help and it not being provided, or having to ship refugees out to Houston or Louisville or somewhere. But you know know what? We didn’t have any looting to speak of. We just had a bunch of people helping other people.

So the moral of the story is: Nothing to see here, media. A disaster of epic proportions where people behave like we ought to — helping out someone in need.

For those of you who really want to help out, please give money to the Red Cross. That’s the quickest and best way to ensure that help will be available for all who need it. Just remember: The Volunteer State is aptly named. Thank God for all the good people who live here.

Tennman, wet, moldy, and still proud to live in a bedroom community of Nashville.

Tennman on May 6, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Thank you so much for covering this. I live in Nashville and have been volunteering all week. Thankfully, my home is safe, but this city is broken and we need so much help.

poorrichardsnews on May 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Silly Ed, Nasville is in a flyover state full of non-elites, non-intellectuals, country music types, and pro-gun types. The seaweed in the Gulf ranks higher on the value scale of life in the eyes of NY-based news media companies.

jediwebdude on May 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

tnarch on May 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM
+100000…

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Hey North Franklin, I’m in Polk Place sub, 2 miles south of downtown Franklin. We were mostly spared. I was shocked to see video on Sunday of Fieldstone Farms area (I’m guessing you’re up that way) – it looked terrible. What a weekend, I came home from work Friday night, beautiful evening, and thought I better mow the yard ahead of the rain. I woke up Saturday morning and it was a torrential thunderstorm for 36-straight hours. I go back to work Monday morning and it’s a beautiful day again. A weekend-long nightmare. Glad to hear you came through it ok!

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I haven’t had time to read all the comments, but it is true that there hasn’t been a lot of coverage of Nashville’s plight. I live about 55 miles to the north in Kentucky. I’m helping with the flood recovery in this state. Flooding here was no where near the magnitude of Nashville’s.

Kentucky was largely ignored when the ice storm damaged a 120 mile wide and a 250 mile long swath across our state.

I think it’s because people in these areas don’t riot and loot and go crazy when these things happen. We just sort of take a deep breath and start working to put things back together. No drama. No drama that plays well on national television.

We’re still waiting for President Obama to visit west Kentucky after the ice storm in 2009. Nashville will have to get in line.

It’s really bad down there folks. I’ve started to hear from friends and colleagues in Nashville, and it’s bad.

Ampleforth on May 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Obama hates country music.

warden on May 6, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Except for The Dixie Chicks. After all, they say it was All Bush’s Fault too.

Del Dolemonte on May 6, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Hey PatMac, pannw, I live over here in Anderson County. I kept the NWS radar on almost all day that day. That storm moved northeast, but it was along the line of rain trailing off the the southwest. The flood warning boxes covered the whole area from Crossville practically all the way to Jackson.

I’m glad you guys came out OK. Geographers don’t call it the Nashville Basin for nothing.

Pelayo on May 6, 2010 at 8:43 PM

tnarch on May 6, 2010 at 2:52 PM

pannw on May 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM

My thoughts & prayers are with you/neighbors in beautiful Franklin, TN.

Heard today that 300 families lost their homes in Dyersburg, TN (Northwest TN). These people lost everything. It’s ALL gone. Very, very sad.

I am amazed at the Volunteers who have donated water, food, clothing, diapers, etc. Our church was overwhelmed with donations and volunteers who helped; but the need is huge, the flood victims keep coming to pick up supplies.

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Your message has been rejected because it looks like spam. If you aren’t a spammer, please try changing the text of your message.

Dammit to hell

Pelayo on May 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Bye, I going back to Ace of Spades.

Pelayo on May 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I was home in Memphis during the storms and flooding last weekend, visiting family and taking my oldest son to the Beale St. Music Festival. It was pretty scary. I had forgotten how much I hate the tornado sirens (don’t have them where I live now). We were very blessed not to flood as badly as Nashville has. Nashville is a beautiful city full of people who are the reason we’re called the Volunteer State- and I have no doubt that they will recover completely.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone from N. Mississippi to Middle TN and anywhere else the tornadoes and floods hit.

SouthernPatriot on May 6, 2010 at 9:04 PM

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

What, no love for me, TN Mom? I’m from Brentwood. BBC is heading up local relief efforts as well.

Tennman on May 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

My wife and I live in Spring Hill, TN; about 30 miles south of Nashville. A couple of observations:

*In the hours and hours of local coverage I’ve watched and newspaper and online articles I’ve read, I haven’t heard of one Tennessean, not one complain about what President Obama is or is not doing! We leave that to the hate-wankers here on HA.
*Monday night, while the rest of the MSM seemed oblivious to what was happening here, Keith Olbermann told the story of the flood on his program. He was the first commentator I heard mention it.

I’m really proud of the people of Middle Tennessee.

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM

My wife and I live in Spring Hill, TN; about 30 miles south of Nashville.
I’m really proud of the people of Middle Tennessee.

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Spring Hill got hammered, hope everything’s ok.

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Tennman on May 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

So sorry I missed you and so sorry for the damage to your home. Brentwood is a beautiful place; the people are all so friendly.

Take care!

TN Mom

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Hey PatMac!
Personally we were lucky and suffered no flooding in our neighborhood. But places like Leipers Fork, Franklin, Bellvue, etc got swamped!

Great telethon on Ch. 4!

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

My thoughts & prayers are with you/neighbors in beautiful Franklin, TN.

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Thanks TN Mom, Franklin is a beautiful place. After seven corporate relocations over 25 years, we transfered here 2-1/2 years ago and plan this as the final stop. The first time I ever drove through downtown Franklin on a cold winter day, I called BetsyMac back in Long Beach, Ca. and told her I’d found her new home. She’s been happy here ever since, rain or shine!

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hey PatMac!

Great telethon on Ch. 4!

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Good to hear. Kudos to the local news/weather teams on the Nashville stations, they did yeoman’s work last weekend and are keeping at it all week.

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Hey PatMac!

Great telethon on Ch. 4!

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I forgot to add, the funniest story I heard all weekend was one of the local stations announced that Naomi Judd had called in to the station during the storm and asked them to warn her Leiper’s Fork neighbors that the rain had knocked down her fences and her buffaloes had gotten loose – LOL!

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

We lived in Franklin for a year before moving to Spring Hill. It’s a great town! We almost purchased a home in Fieldstone Farms!
Hope you and your family came through unscathed too, PatMac.

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM

I heard that somebody’s buffaloes got loose! I didn’t know they were hers!
She’s always around Franklin. Have you seen her?

chumpThreads on May 6, 2010 at 10:56 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I didn’t get to Dickens of a Christmas this past year. It’s always my favorite start to the Christmas season! My daughter loves Cool Springs Mall and the shops on Mallory Lane but I love the Downtown Franklin shops!

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 11:07 PM

PatMac on May 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Did you hear the rumor that the pirana fish escaped from Bass Pro shop at Opry Mills?!! Tennessean.com says the reports are untrue. Thank goodness!

Take care!

TN Mom on May 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM

For those who prefer to give to some organization other than the Red Cross, the Tennesee Baptist Disaster Relief is a good organization. I prefer this group because you can designate where your money goes and all the money goes to the disater victims. Most of the people delivering the relief are volunteers from the churches. The Administrative costs are not taken from the donations, they are paid from the general fund which is funded by routine church tithes and special donations. http://www.tnbaptist.org/page.asp?page=99

maxine on May 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM

It’s not under Bush so it doesn’t matter.

bentman78 on May 7, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Fox doing a piece on Nashville now.

Nalea on May 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Did you expect him to abandon his Cinco De Mayo celebration?
Come on!
artist on May 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I wonder…Do they celebrate July 4th in Mexico?

Obama to Rahm: “Should we acknowledge Tennesse?”
Rahm to Obama: “F– ‘em.!”

Nalea on May 7, 2010 at 8:21 AM

WSMV Channel 4 Telethon raise $1.7 MILLION last night! Vince Gill and Amy Grant gave $100,000 to start things off and IMMEDIATELY Taylor Swift (GOD BLESS THIS KID!) called in with $500,000!!

There were quite a few stars manning the phones and taking calls. Thanks to ALL of them for pitching in to lend a helping hand!

Here are some other ways to help:

How Can I Help With Relief Efforts?

If you or someone you know is interested in making tax-deductible contributions to flood relief efforts, we are accepting donations. Please make checks payable to Mobile Loaves and Fishes Nashville, 3605 Hillsboro Rd. Nashville, TN 37215 and mark them for Flood Relief. If you are interested in making contributions of food, toiletries and supplies, we will continue to collect the following items at South Hall:

fresh fruit (apples, pears, oranges, clementines, bananas)

washcloths + towels

toiletry items (toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, deodorant, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner)

sandwich-sized zipper baggies

disposable to-go containers with lids

disposable oven-safe aluminum baking pans

•Second Harvest Food Bank If you need assistance, call their emergency information center at 211 or 615-862-8574. Or Call 615-329-3491

•Salvation Army To volunteer to the Salvation Army, call Matt Vamvas at 416-3175. For emergency assistance, call 255-0554 or visit 611 Stockell Street. Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY to donate and make sure to designate to Nashville Flood Relief.
Members of the public who want to help with relief efforts can contact Hands On Nashville. Its number is 298-1108. By Tuesday morning, 7,000 volunteers had already signed up to help.
•Samaritan’s Purse is partnering with Bethel World Outreach Center for disaster relief. Call 615-346-1310 if you would like the organizations to help you recover. Victims should give Bethel World Outreach Center the location of where they live, the damage in their area/home and what help you need. You can e-mail this information to info@bwoc.org. Samaritan’s Purse will help clear the damaged area, remove carpets, drywall, flooring, and treat molding. Volunteers should be at least 14 years old to help, but minors will need an adult chaperone. Volunteers should come to the church any day from Monday to Saturday at 7:30 a.m. and be prepared to work until 4:30 pm. The first day of volunteer work begins on Thursday, May 6. Call 615-371-1000.

•Mayor Karl Dean asked businesses to make mass donations of generators, cleaning supplies, diapers and other supplies that can assist in recovery efforts.

labwrs on May 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM

The MSM, ever vigilant in their desire to support the New Messiah’s transformation of America had to make a fast decision. Run with the story that clearly implicated one of those right wing terrorist Tea-Baggers or any of several major disasters affecting millions of people. New York had the only crisis going worth exploiting for the good of Odogma. Priorities people!!!

wtng2fish on May 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Isn’t Al **yawn* Bore from Tenessee , you would think he would put his two cents in about this disaster!

!

I mean other than it was obviously caused by global warming climate change

cableguy615 on May 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM

sesquipedalian is a fool. These heavy storms were predicted as a sign of the end times and not by some stupid global warming BS. The Mayans also predicted this long ago.

The only difference between those forms of divination and sessy’s is that sesqudepalian thinks he’s being intelligent and insightful because his doomsday theory is popular and supported by scientists like Al Gore, Noam Chomsky, the corrupt Pachauri fellow at the IPCC, and the totally on the level people of East Anglia University’s Climate Research Unit.

Get a shovel sessy, you’re full of ****.

BKennedy on May 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Shame on the media for this travesty of no news where news is badly needed!

It should not be this way.

Shame!!

Sherman1864 on May 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM

OBAMA PLAYED GOLF TODAY. He has yet to visit flood ravaged Tennessee. Widespread damages in 53 counties, many lost everything they had. Such heartbreak and loss when so many struggle in a terrible economy.

TN Mom on May 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM