Primary Night: Coats wins in IN, turnout light in OH and NC

posted at 8:48 am on May 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Voters in three states had the opportunity yesterday to dump incumbents and prove the media’s latest meme that voter anger is really just an anti-incumbent mood this year.  Instead, incumbents and establishment candidates succeeded in proceeding to the general election.  The AP postulates that “voter anger didn’t translate at the ballot box,” but they missed the point:

It turned out anger didn’t translate at the ballot box.

Voters in North Carolina and Ohio kept their incumbents while those in Indiana turned to an old Capitol Hill hand — Republican Dan Coats — in Tuesday’s primaries despite the nation’s bottom-of-the-barrel support for Congress and frustration with the Washington establishment. …

Coats, 66, retired from the Senate in 1998, has worked as a lobbyist and was U.S. ambassador to Germany under President George W. Bush. He overcame spirited challenges from four opponents, including state Sen. Marlin Stutzman, a tea party favorite who was endorsed by South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint, and former Rep. John Hostettler, who had the support of one-time presidential candidate Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

Coats imposed his own term limits on his first run in the Senate, retiring as promised after two terms, but decided to run again after the debacle of the past fifteen months.  Stutzman and Hostettler were good candidates as well, and Stutzman in particular ran a good campaign.  He finished second by a surprisingly wide margin over Hostettler and will undoubtedly build on this momentum for more success in Indiana politics.

Indiana saw its highest turnout in ten years, including presidential cycles.  In Ohio and North Carolina, voter turnout was light, which the AP took as a sign of ebbing enthusiasm:

Turnout was exceptionally light in Ohio and North Carolina, a possible indication that voter anger over economic woes, persistently high unemployment and Congress itself wasn’t influencing elections — and, perhaps, a reflection of the limited influence of the conservatives and libertarians who make up the fledgling tea party coalition.

Or perhaps it indicated that there wasn’t much doubt or competition in those primaries.  The only real competition in Ohio was on the Democratic side of the ticket, where Lt. Gov. Lee Fisher held off Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner for the Senate nomination to run against Rob Portman.  Portman’s nomination was already secured, so the Tea Party had little to do with this race.  They certainly weren’t turning out Democrats to the polls, and in what should be a warning to Democrats, neither were their own candidates.

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent.  It’s anti-Democratic.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, anyone in the media who wants to delude themselves into thinking turnout won’t be huge come November, I have 3 words for you(or 4 if you’re Joe Biden):

Senator Scott Brown

Doughboy on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I voted for Hostettler.

Get Coates outta there!

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

We’ll see! It’s gonna be a LONG HOT summer!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Anti-Democratic? How about anti-Democrat.

David in ATL on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

Amen!!

BigWyo on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Goodbye dingy harry.

rightside on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

All those “news” people who keep spouting the “anything but incumbents” meme,better wake up to reality. It’s “anything but Democrats” as far as I’m concerned.

sandee on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Anti-Democratic? How about anti-Democrat.

David in ATL on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Much better, they HATE being called that.

thebrokenrattle on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

It’s only anti-incumbent on the Republican side to the point where the incumbent is/has been seen as cozying up to Democratic Party ideas/politicians in the past (see Crist, Charlie or McCain, John, as examples of candidates either DOA or paddling furiously to avoid going over the falls due to their past actions).

jon1979 on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

As a former Hoosier, I’d be curious to see a map of which areas went with which candidate. (e.g., were the city folk more inclined to vote for Coats or less so?)

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

anti Democratic is right, Ed. good update.

ted c on May 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM

So RP doesn’t have such a big draw after all.

Kermit on May 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM

a reflection of the limited influence of the conservatives and libertarians who make up the fledgling tea party coalition.

Sounds like this written towards those conservatives and libertarians. Allow me to rephrase:

“See, you all don’t have any influence, so just shut up get with the program, you dumb hicks!”

JamesLee on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I voted for Hostettler.

Get Coates outta there!

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I voted for Stutzman and it’s a bit too late for that now. The time for differences is in the primary. The primary is OVER. Like it or not, Coats is the candidate and he must defeat Ellsworth.

That being said, however, I feel certain the DEMS of Indiana help elect Coats over Stutzman. They had no DEM candidate to vote for – no competition. Some DEMS may have placed a strategic vote for Coats.

My hope is that Stutzman will run against Lugar. Lugar’s another one that can’t be trusted to represent CONSERVATIVE Indiana voters.

Oink on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Not being a Republican or Democrat, I voted issues only here in Ohio. And at least the proposed new income tax for Toledo Public Schools got voted down.

rbj on May 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Yeah, great….we in Indiana get a carpet bagging career politician. yippee. My man, Stutzman, was fresh blood and endorsed by the SCF…but in the end name recognition won over substance. This is what sickens me about politics. I will now have to hold my nose while I vote for Coats and hope he votes right most of the time.

search4truth on May 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM

(D)s be afraid, be very afraid…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Well I feel confident here in ND that Hoeven will win. I hope he proves himself worthy of my vote.
I have been very satisfied for the most part with him as our governor.

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Even when Republicans take back the house in November the corrupt media will still be asking what it means.

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic

Speaking of which, I noticed quite a few pages filled out in the “switch affiliation” book in my precinct. I’ll let you guess which way.

loudmouth883 on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I voted a Republican ballot by mail here in Ohio. Other than 4 local/state issues, I had nothing really to vote for because our candidates were running free and clear. The spouse forgot to vote by mail and didn’t bother to go to the polls yesterday because there was no point.

myrenovations on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Tick….tock…tic…toc….

T-Minus till November!!!

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

I couldn’t vote in IN yesterday (address discrepancies…it’s complicated), but I’m okay with the Coats nomination. I really like Stutzman (and would’ve voted for him), but he’s still young and I don’t think he’s going anywhere.

I can vote for Coats. Besides, the November election is too important to sit out just because my ideal candidates aren’t on the ballot.

Oink on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Fantastic idea. I’ve always said Bayh and Lugar were like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern – for all intents and purposes, pretty much the same guy.

lonesome_pine on May 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Bummed Stutzman didn’t get it, but I think he’s got a great future.

hoosiermama on May 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

[chart by county]

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM

TY. (I see my home county of Gibson went heavy with Hostettler. Gonna have to digest the rest of this later when I’m not at work….)

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

It’s anti-Democratic.

As others have said, shouldn’t that be anti-Democrat?

conservative pilgrim on May 5, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Anti-Democratic? How about anti-Democrat.

David in ATL on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Much better, they HATE being called that.

thebrokenrattle on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

True – but for some odd reason their own platform says Democratic and not Democrat. So the memo was not received at HQ.

Dasher on May 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Are all 3 closed primary states?

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

That’s why Democrats get confused;
It’s anti-DEMOCRAT;
NOT ANTI-DEMOCRATIC.

The Democrat Party has used this to confuse people for decades.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Is the media this out-of-touch with what’s really going on? How is their liberal agenda advanced by denying the anti-Dem mood of the electorate? Shouldn’t they want to scare the mouth breathing Kool-Aid drinkers to the polls? I don’t understand what they believe their ostrich reporting accomplishes.

flyfisher on May 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

My mother’s family is from Morgan county (Paragon,Eminence)& many of them live in Seymour now.
My artist cousin (a potter), a staunch conservative, has been out of work for quite some time now.
It’s really rough, economy-wise, in S. IN.
Hope this is the beginning of a change in things.

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Should we say, “He’s a Democrat,” or, “He’s a Democratic?” Democrat is a noun, democratic is an adjective, so, there’s prolly a rule for that somewhere.

I say we call them the Skittles Pooping Flying Unicorn Rainbow Party and leave it at that.

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I also voted for Hostettler, but I don’t mind Coats. I voted for Todd Young, because Sodrell was more of the same old Republican crap. I for damn sure will be calling everyone I know in November and taking election day off to drive people to the polls. I will also call Todd’s office and congratulate him, and send him a check today.

RudeMechanic on May 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Glad (though not surprised) to see Burr move through. Let’s hope he keeps his seat in the general!

Bee on May 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Hostettler won Warrick, Vermillion, Spencer, Pike, Perry, Lawrence, Knox, Gibson, Dubois, Daviess. . . .so pretty much ALL of southwest Indiana and nothing else.

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM

RudeMechanic on May 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I had Hankins. He was campaigning pretty STRONG where I am in Batesville.

Notorious GOP on May 5, 2010 at 9:16 AM

It’s anti-DemocraticDemocrat.

FIFY

Caper29 on May 5, 2010 at 9:20 AM

In 2008 Wayne County Ohio went for McCain 29,000 to 21,000 and the 16th District went for the Dem

John A. Boccieri DEM 24944
Kirk Schuring REP 24743

If you look at last nights results

Governor

Dem STRICKLAND\BROWN 5417
Rep KASICH\TAYLOR 11475

16th District

Dem JOHN A. BOCCIERI 5008

Rep MATT MILLER 6220
Rep JIM RENACCI 5956
Rep Total Votes 13303

So the numbers are good for Republicans again. Now, it is a Republican County, though seems like 2006 Governor race was close.

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Again. If the AP would objectively look at the votes, they’d see the lopsided voting numbers between Rs and Ds. AND this is a primary for goodness sakes.

conservative pilgrim on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

The mood is anti-demonrat AND anti-RINO. Let the fools in the MSM mock theirselves as they always do. This is going to be fun to watch.

volsense on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Are all 3 closed primary states?

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

NC is open primary, though I had to argue with them at my polling place about it before they’d give me a ballot. I’m a registered Libertarian but I tend to vote Rep most of the time. I asked for a Rep ballot and they tried to refuse me. I had to explain to them at the polling place that NC is open primary and I can ask for either ballot. It took 6 of them conferencing and me threatening to call BOE for them to hand me the damn ballot. I live in a HEAVY dem area.

Monica on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

LOL. I had an idiot Lefty jump down my throat the other day for calling it the Democrat Party. I told him there’s nothing democratic about it…

changer1701 on May 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM

So, there is 75,000 voters in the county, say it is 55-45 republicans, then that is 41,700-33,300

I should add, that means it was a 33% turnout for Republicans, 15% for Democrats

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Um… don’t I get a h/t for this one?

mankai on May 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Monica on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

It’s open in IN, too. I also live in a heavy Dem area and one year, I wasn’t even asked which one I wanted – I was just handed a Dem ballot. I didn’t even think about it (this was one of my first primaries, if the not THE first) and filled it out. It wasn’t until they did the same thing to my dad (and he challenged them) that I even realized/remembered there were supposed to be two to choose from.

lonesome_pine on May 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I should also add, the 2 biggest high schools in the county both turn down levy’s. They used the students in local commercials, at school likely during school.

So, We are New Jersey.

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Monica on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Thank you. Amazing when you have to fight for your voting rights, isn’t it???

Perhaps you should wield a billy club with an ACORN on your head next time…

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

(D)s be afraid, be very afraid…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM

What do they have to be afraid of? Obama is gleefully “putting his boot to the throat” of the US Constitution, the Dems really have nothing to be afraid of, their velvet Marxist coup has already taken place, electing a few Republican politicians will do nothing but put a masquerade of legitimacy on that velvet Marxist coup and return American citizens to their familiar somnolence.

doriangrey on May 5, 2010 at 9:32 AM

OT: Today’s Cincinnati Enquirer reports that ICE arrested 53 illegal immigrants in the past week on charges as varied as fraud and domestic violence.

I live in Ohio’s second district, currently represented by GOP Jean Schmidt. She won her primary easily, while her Dem opponent (Surya Yalamanchili) barely won his. Dem congressman Steve Driehaus won his primary in the neighboring Congressional district, so he faces Steve Chabot, the Republican he beat in 2008.

GOP U.S. Senate candidate Rob Portman ran unopposed, while his Dem opponent Lee Fisher (current Lt. Gov) beat back Jennifer Brunner (current Sec of State, who helped ACORN in 2008). Ohio has to elect Portman over Fisher. It would be an excellent trade up from George Voinovich.

In all, for many GOPers in Ohio there wasn’t a ton to be fired up about with this primary. I wonder whether there isn’t an outrage exhaustion at work. Time for a deep breath before forming a tidal wave to bury Dems.

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Turnout was exceptionally light in Indiana, Ohio and North Carolina, a possible indication that the anger fueling voters across the country over economic woes, persistently high unemployment and Congress itself wasn’t translating into votes — and, perhaps, the limited influence of the conservatives and libertarians who make up the fledgling tea party coalition.

I voted for incumbant Burr because I think he has the best chance to win in November… and as for anger translating into votes… since I am a Republican I couldn’t cast a vote against any Democrats… I assume that most “conservatives and liberatrians” are drooling over that chance in November. (And doesn’t it sound silly to write that “anger fueling VOTERS” won’t translate into “VOTES?” What makes one a “voter” then?)

mankai on May 5, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Monica on May 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Did they make you sign any kind of loyalty pledge? The local GOP did that recently in a primary for a state delegate seat, and it pissed a lot of people off.

changer1701 on May 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Here’s what I noticed in my district (NC-13):

Those that spoke at tea parties and attended rallies won the primaries. Those that got into the tea party speaking arena too late in the game lost. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, LSM.

citrus on May 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

citrus on May 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Bill Randall didn’t win. He’s stuck in a runoff with Paulite Reeves set for June 22.

mankai on May 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Anti-Democratic isn’t a primary issue …

tarpon on May 5, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Bingo..

spen52 on May 5, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I’d like to throw them all out except for a few Republicans. I have scratched my old bald head trying to figure out what Dems I would want to keep if I had a choice. I keep coming up blank. I can think of some Dems from the past, but not any now.

IMO our only hope to get term limits and other needed amendments is if there is a whole new crew of reasonably unspoiled, much less arrogant, very patriotic freshmen who actually believe in their oath of office and place the Constitution and our country first, the state second, their party third and their ego last; not what is for the greater good in their minds, which just may violate provisions of the greatest governing document ever written by man, our Constitution.

amr on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Are all 3 closed primary states?

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, anyone. But in Ohio, when you register to vote, you register as GOP, Dem, or unaffiliated. I guess I forgot that I’d registered as unaffiliated. Anyway, if registered GOP, you get a GOP ballot and likewise for Dems. If unaffiliated, you got your choice of GOP, Dem, or an issues only ballot.

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

It is good news that Jennifer Brunner, minion of Soros, went down.

perries on May 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Anti-Democratic? How about anti-Democrat.

David in ATL on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM
Much better, they HATE being called that.

thebrokenrattle on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

It’s the Democrat Party, but they’re more autocratic than democratic.

Insomniac on May 5, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Anti-Democratic? How about anti-Democrat.

David in ATL on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:14 AM

and Yes
Which is why we should call them the National Socialist Democrat Workers Party, as Maha Rushie suggests.

rslancer14 on May 5, 2010 at 9:50 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

When I registered here about 7 years ago, I did not have to claim a party. But when I request a primary ballot, I have to state which party ballot I want. My requesting of Republican ballots has me labled as an R which allows me to work at the Board of Elections, so I guess that is how they keep track of it.

myrenovations on May 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Hoosier conservative democrat here. For the first time since becoming eligible to vote 18,43 now I requested a republican ballot to vote for Larry Bushon 8th district congress to replace Ellsworth running for senate,also voted for Hostetler for senate. Is Dan Coats really the best we can do. Lobbyists,bank bailout supporter and until recently hasn’t lived in Indiana. In the past terrible on illegal immigration which is a big issue to us. Would rather have seen Stutzman or Hostetler win. Coats Ellsorth will be a tough matchup for the GOP. Ellsworth so far has kept his word on illegal immigration/amnesty and has $1 million in the bank to hit and define Coats quickly.

Reluctantly unless Coats comes out for comprehensive immigration reform we will support Coats because we can not afford automatic yes votes to the radical Obama/Pelosi agenda.

That said as twice supporters of Ellsworth we can no longer support his STIMULUS,HEALTHCARE yes man aprroach to Obama and Pelosi. He has also lot The Right to Life endorsement I believe.

PTN 39 on May 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Oink on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Hear, hear! Get Lugar outta there.

Stutzman for Lugar swap? Sounds delicious.

Abby Adams on May 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

You’ll never see the AP fan the flames. They’ve got too much invested in the Obamassiah.

GarandFan on May 5, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Almost forgot look for all major Indiana papers including largets INDY STAR to endorse Ellsworth. They mostly support Obama so they will support Ellsworth.

PTN 39 on May 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

myrenovations on May 5, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Tru dat, playa. Same for me yesterday.

Another take on the Coats (and Dan Burton) win……

Hi didn’t win with a majority. He got 40% of the vote. That means that 6 out of 10 voted against him. I voted for Stutzman. He’s a remarkable guy. I also voted for Luke Messer in the 5th congressional district primary. Dan Burton (R-Golf Course), who has been in Congress for 28 years, narrowly won by 2% in a 6 way race. We have been trying to get Burton out for years, and he only managed 30% of the vote. That’s 7 out of 10 that voted against him. He should have an uphill fight, but the district is quite conservative so I’m sure he will go back to Congress.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on May 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Mojave Mark on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Remember in ’94, Peter Jennings called it a national “temper tantrum.” The best he could do to dismiss it.

MassVictim on May 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Well not sure about turnout but I do know that NC has selected one of the most conservative slate of GOPers to run against the dems in a very long time. Burr only got 80% of the vote so there is some anti-incumbant mood out there. Several other incumbants at the local and regional level had tough primaries. My congressional district had three gop candidates when on a given year we get maybe one usally none.

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I’m heavily involved in Ohio politics, and I can tell you this is definitely the case. Just wait until this November.

golfballs03 on May 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

here are two of the GOP winners from the NC primaries last night. They will take on Etheridge and Price two liberal dems that try to pretend to be “blue dogs”

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:19 AM

NC turn out was pathetic yesterday. I was the only person there when I casted my ballot.

BJ Lawson beat Frank Roche unfortunately. They call BJ “Ron Paul Jr.”. Which is a big reason why I didn’t vote for him. However, his base here is very active and that energy will only grow towards the general election…

SSgtDC on May 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

SSgtDC on May 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Not sure about Lawson. I do know he is an MD and is running against Obamacare. Anyone would be better than Price. The “Rnn Paul” candidate (Todd Galis) in the NC 2nd District Lost big time. The “Palin” candidate won in that GOP primary. Renee Ellmers an R.N. that takes it too Obama on a consistent basis. Here is what she said after her win:

Renee Ellmers for CongressThank you! Thank you! Thank you! I really appreciate all of the outpouring of support and well wishes! Thank you all for your vote of confidence too! In the words of a famous community organizer…. “Yes we can!”

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM

changer1701 on May 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM

No and I would have told them to F off if they had. I’m pretty loyal to the GOP even though I’m a Libertarian but I pledge loyalty to no party.

Monica on May 5, 2010 at 10:30 AM

That’s an understatement in Ohio. The only competitive GOP race was for Auditor (which ended up being a blowout). And don’t get me started on how the Ohio GOP screwed that one up.

KeepOhioRed on May 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

KeepOhioRed on May 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Only real competive statewide race in NC was the dem sentate race.

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Nice! She sounds great! I agree, anyone but Price.

On the Democrat side, its interesting that Cal Cunningham, who I believe had Obama’s and most of the National DNC backing lost by almost 10 points. Has Obama’s “Kiss of death” struck again? Backburn and Cunningham are doing a runoff now since she didn’t get 40% of the vote. Seems like a good way to unify their party and will be money well spent ;)

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:29 AM

SSgtDC on May 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.
Sweet!

ohiobabe on May 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Seems like a good way to unify their party and will be money well spent ;)
SSgtDC on May 5, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Couldn’t happen to a “nicer” group of folks imo. yes Cal cummingham’s poor showing should be a big wake up call. the black vote did not show up last night and was one reason why turnout was low

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

If I’m not mistaken, the primary in Ohio is where you can change your voter affiliation; i.e., registered Dem can ask for an R ballot and thus becomes a registered Republican on the books at the Board of Elections. The reason I say this is because when filling out the vote-by-mail application, there are three boxes for your choice of one vote-by-mail ballot: Democrat, Republican, or Issues Only. Maybe somebody else knows for sure.

As for the primary in Cuyahoga County (a totally corrupted, Democrat controlled county) there were three R’s running against “I flipped on health care for a ride on Air Force One” Kucinich, who ran unopposed.

Total votes cast: 73,939

Kucinich (D): 47,014
Peter J. Corrigan (R): 16,288
W. Benjamin Franklin (R): 5,154
Thomas R. Olschlager (R): 5,483

Total R votes: 26,925 (Combined 57% of Kucinich votes.)

Unless the R’s rally big-time for November, Kucinich will be re-elected yet again. (spit) The seniors in District 10 just love Kucinich, and dang it all…they vote! My DH and I are “seniors,” and we truly don’t understand this fascination with Dennis. We think he’s a blithering idiot.

OTOH, while I can’t stand Lee Fisher and consider him to be a two-faced, smarmy low-life, I’m glad that he beat Soros-backed Brunner. The contest between Fisher and Portman will be hot and heavy, and the accusations will be flying.

Needless to say, we’re stocking up on popcorn at our house.

GrannyDee on May 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Kucinich defeated four Democratic challengers, attracting 68,156 votes (50.3 percent) in 2008 primary.

Down 33%

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM

If Kucinich was un-opposed this year, then he got 25% of the 2008 total of 130,000 total democratic primary votes.

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Also, the Repulicans came out in the same numbers as 2008.

27,000 votes

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Go Renee Ellmers!

That jackass Bob Etheridge voted for Obamacare even though 80% of his constituents were against it.

Ortzinator on May 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM

The results were:

Coats 41%
Stutzman 29%
Hostettler 22%

(96% of precincts reporting).

Emperor Norton on May 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Voted for Behney, can live with Coats winning in Nov.

Or maybe I’m still basking in the glow of Bayh choosing to retire.

cs89 on May 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

In Ohio you may change your party affiliation when you vote in a primary. When you ask for a ballot, the poll worker checks your past party affiliation. If it’s different you can be challenged. Then you are given a form to fill out declaring you support the principles of the new party.

As for the Fisher win, the up side is that Jennifer Brunner will be out of a job. LOL

Deanna on May 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Down 33%

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Also, the Repulicans came out in the same numbers as 2008.

27,000 votes

WoosterOh on May 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Thanks, Wooster. I’ve just been on the phone with the Peter J. Corrigan campaign office and shared lots of campaign ideas with them. Stay tuned; will post more when things are a “go.”

Deanna on May 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Thanks, Deanna. I was pretty sure you could change parties at the polls in Ohio, but didn’t know the exact procedure. And I agree 100% with you…boo hoo and ha ha to the soon-to-be-unemployed Brunner.

GrannyDee on May 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Ortzinator on May 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM

and he voted for cap and tax

unseen on May 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM

The Fisher/Bruner U.S. Senate contest in Ohio was the only political draw statewide. Fisher’s war chest dwarfed the meager funds Bruner was able to raise. Two statewide issues were also on the ballot, but neither was particularly controversial.

Bruner has mostly embarrassed herself (whether she knows it or not) in her term as Secretary of State. Out of the gate she got spanked by the State Supreme Court when she tried a political stunt that blew up in her face. More recently she has been exposed as a purely political hack. It would be nice if we’ve seen the last of her, though I would have thought the same of Dennis Kucinich.

The governor’s race will be interesting. Well known by Republicans, John Kasich’s overall voter recognition is fairly low.

EconomicNeocon on May 5, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I think Dems are whistling in the dark to suggest this is anti-incumbant.

No, it’s about the Dem agenda.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 11:49 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

I hope you’re right, Ed.

Bob's Kid on May 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

That comment is raaaaacist.

Physics Geek on May 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY:

The mood isn’t anti-incumbent. It’s anti-Democratic.

Please, please stop using “Democratic when talking about the Democrat party. It allows for too much word play by others.
“See the Tea Party is just against the democratic system. They hate democracy.” etc. etc.

Yes, it is a pet peeve, but it happens way to damn much. They are the Democrat Party and should be referred to as such.

Voidseeker on May 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Having Dan Coats is proving my prediction that not a single tea party candidate will win in this 2010 election.

So, far…I’ve been right.

Conservative Samizdat on May 5, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Our county here in the extreme southeast of North Carolina may not be typical, but what we experienced was a largely Republican vote on primary day. Those who register unaffiliated here may choose which party’s ballot they’d like to vote, and I’m told by poll workers that they overwhelmingly chose the GOP ballot. I’m thinking this is an indication of enthusiasm on the conservative side and a decided lack of same among the Democrats.

longbeachpirate on May 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM

When candidates are only marginally separated by ideology, the Tea Partiers likely voted for the incumbent. The race I am looking forward to is John McCain, here I hope to see the Tea Partiers get rid of the incumbent. As a Tea Partier, I was perfectly happy with Coats as the candidate.

astonerii on May 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I voted for Stutzman. I may vote for Coats this November but I have no enthusiasm for him and I won’t work for him. He may believe all Republicans and many independents will vote for him just because. He would be wrong. If he doesn’t work to earn the vote and convince us that he’s
no longer a big government Republican, he won’t win.

SKYFOX on May 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM

If he doesn’t work to earn the vote and convince us that he’s
no longer a big government Republican, he won’t win.

SKYFOX on May 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Um…he led in a head-to-head poll vs. Ellsworth before the primary, 54 – 35. If every single undecided vote went to the Dem-Lib, Coats still crushes him. What makes you think that Coats’ support is going to evaporate and why?

Jaibones on May 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM