Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on May 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Noel Sheppard brings us today’s Obamateurism, after Noel listened to Barack Obama offer the following advice to Michigan graduates:

Today’s twenty-four/seven echo chamber amplifies the most inflammatory soundbites louder and faster than ever before. It has also, however, given us unprecedented choice. Whereas most Americans used to get their news from the same three networks over dinner or a few influential papers on Sunday morning, we now have the option to get our information from any number of blogs or websites or cable news shows. And this can have both a good and bad development for our democracy.

For if we choose only to expose ourselves to opinions and viewpoints that are in line with our own, studies suggest that we will become more polarized, more set in our ways. That will only reinforce and even deepen the political divides in this country. But if we choose to actively seek out information that challenges our assumptions and our beliefs, perhaps we can begin to understand where the people who disagree with us are coming from.

Now this requires us to agree on a certain set of facts to debate from; that is why we need a vibrant and thriving news business that is separate from opinion makers and talking heads. That’s why we need an educated citizenry that uses hard evidence and not just assertion. As Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”

Still, if you’re somebody who only reads the editorial page of The New York Times, try glancing at the page of The Wall Street Journal once in awhile. If you’re a fan of Glenn Beck or Rush Limbaugh, try reading a few columns on the Huffington Post website. It may make your blood boil; your mind may not be changed. But the practice of listening to opposing views is essential for effective citizenship. It’s essential for our democracy.

Noel can hardly believe his ears:

Is THAT why he basically boycotted Fox News during his campaign, has largely boycotted it since being elected, and has had numerous members of his Administration INCLUDING HIMSELF bad-mouth the network as not being a news organization?

Noel lists several links from Newsbusters, but you can find a few from Hot Air, too. It would be nice to think that Obama learned from his little war on Fox News, but the griping over the Bret Baier interview suggests otherwise. This is just another case of Obama’s do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do advice.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/05/01/obama-2010-grads-limbaugh-and-beck-fans-check-out-huffington-post#ixzz0n1GuPM00

Comments

Wonder how philosophical diverse his staff is….

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

This is just another case of Obama’s do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do advice.

nuff said…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Hey, they deserve it. Ever since Fox News flew those jetliners into the World Trade Center…Oh wait…

Battlecruiser-operational on May 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Duplicity, thy name is Odamna.

Crusader Rabbit on May 5, 2010 at 8:12 AM

This is just another case of Obama’s do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do advice.

That’s what I was thinking except, do you really think he would want people coming to sites like Hotair to have their opinion challenged? No, of course not. He only wants the opinion of conservatives challanged and not those of his team.

boomer on May 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

“DO WHAT I SAY, NOT WHAT I DO!” – Beginner-In-Chief

rockbend on May 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Only to bash and criticize…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Way to go, Mr President. That ought to get the overseas subscriptions of the Uganda Daily Mail increased 100 fold.

Limerick on May 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM

What is truly sad is that there is an Obamateurism of the Day. And the week.

This guy is such a schmuck that its daily.
I fear for My Country.
November Cannot come soon enough.

5u93rm4n on May 5, 2010 at 8:17 AM

I wonder if Obow is aware many lib blog sites instantly ban Conservatives for simply posting a Conservative viewpoint–no slander, foul language, etc. having been used.

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM

try reading a few columns on the Huffington Post website.

I did, but they seem to make up facts as they go along. And, as noted, you are not entitled to your own facts.

rbj on May 5, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Huffington Post?

Unbelieveable.
Somehow this man believes what he is saying.

He never ceases to amaze, astound and amuse.

May God help us.

TimBuk3 on May 5, 2010 at 8:21 AM

It’s a waste of time to seek out information that challenges our assumptions and beliefs. First of all, it’s not information and second, we don’t need to be challenged–we know what works.

BetseyRoss on May 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM

How fitting that the Prevaricator was addressing graduates in Michigan, his model for the rest of the country. I feel sorry for the kids for having to listen to this sophomoric tripe from the lips of the man destroying their future.

TXUS on May 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

how about he try that thing called listening to the American people. He may be entitled to his own ideology, but not his own facts. We The People are important in this country and we wield considerable power. Apparently, the speechifier in chief didn’t get that message, despite having an honorary doctorate.

ted c on May 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Who knew Harvard was teaching their students that the United States is a democracy?

rightside on May 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Wonder how philosophical diverse his staff is….

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

It’s very diverse. He has Maoists, Leninists and Trotskyites.

trubble on May 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM

This is but another example of the lecturing leftist liberal mindset. It goes along with “I’ll decide when you’ve made enough money” pseudo-wisdom that passes for societal concern among these trolls and trollops.
O/T: I read that Greece is experiencing riots requiring tear gas over spending cuts necessitated by their debt crisis and bailout intervention. Leftists: You just can’t do enough for them. Literally.

ExpressoBold on May 5, 2010 at 8:26 AM

“Opinions for me” “But not for thee”

wheels on May 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

This clown is out lecturing college grads without a trace of proof that he ever achieved ANYTHING academically himself.
That’s kind of like grabbing someone out of the back row to direct the symphony.

Everything about this fool is such a tangle of fraud, hypocrisy, and projection that it could make your head explode.

ontherocks on May 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

==================================
==================================

Well,talk about nerve and unmitagated gall from Coniving
BrokenAxleRod and Sneaky Hopey/Changey,

========================================================

Presentation: Barack Obama’s Internet Strategy

We’ve written a lot about how Barack Obama’s Internet strategy was a significant reason for his success last year – first in the Democratic nomination, then the Presidential election. We’ve analyzed how the Obama campaign made masterful use of social media and we’ve commented on Obama’s use of the Internet as President – not to mention the rise of the goverati. Tonight we came across an extensive presentation about Obama’s overall Internet strategy. We think it’s well worth a read, so we’ve embedded it below.
===================================================

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Boy am I glad I didn’t have a kid graduating from UofM this year. To think I would have paid $100,000 for four years of college only to hear Obama giving the graduation speech.

texasconserv on May 5, 2010 at 8:30 AM

So here’s the question: is Obama so arrogant that he thinks the public are too stupid to see that he and the rest of his White House continually engage in the worst kind of partisan demogoguery, or is he self-delusional? What kind of person thinks that nobody will notice that within 24 hours of this lofty speech, he called Tea Partiers “tea baggers”? I’m really beginning to think he’s got more than a few loose screws.

ProfessorMiao on May 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Democracy?

Can we say “Constitutional Republic”?

antisocial on May 5, 2010 at 8:33 AM

ontherocks on May 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

ontherocks: Speaking of Obama’s Lectures,here’s his Lecture
Exam questions!!
========================================

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

I wonder why I’ve never heard Obama refer to our country as a republic.
Whenever I discuss our country with my students, I always refer to it as a republic. And then they always ask me what that is & I have to tell them.
I bet BO doesn’t read HA.
I wonder if he knows of his daily foul ups report?

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM

The golden irony of this is that Obow is a Leftist–part of one of the most intolerant groups in the world today (the other being Islam).

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Nothing here except cliches about wallowing in a mass of viewpoints as an end in itself — without once touching the real question: how do you know when something is true?

The answer of to this question is a pretty reliable measure of maturity and possibly intelligence.

Small wonder the anointed one didn’t attempt an answer.

Stick with cliches, Mr. President. In your case, that’s probably the safest strategy.

jeff_from_mpls on May 5, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Liam: Ya know,I’ve been thinking the same way for some
time as well,I think its the FREVOR that exists
in both!!:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM

ontherocks: Speaking of Obama’s Lectures,here’s his Lecture
Exam questions!!

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

He evidently has a typo in the first line
“Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the exams’-almost all of you ….”
A small one, but where are the anal retentive trolls today? Get on this!

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Sounds like he’s urging people to read propaganda! What he might not realize is that the Huffpo not only offers up a lot of GOP bashing stories, but I have noticed more and more posts that are critical of Mr. President and his policies!

scalleywag on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I bet BO doesn’t read HA.
I wonder if he knows of his daily foul ups report?

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM

no worries, Ed will write the OOTD book and give a signed copy to dear leader for his reading pleasure

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Obumble explains a lot about himself here; Such as, why he attended Reverend Wrights Trinity United Church of Christ for 20 plus years.
He’s exposing his true self very well.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM
======================================
He evidently has a typo in the first line
“Overall, I was impressed with the quality of the exams’-almost all of you ….”
A small one, but where are the anal retentive trolls today? Get on this!

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Badger40: And,he apologizes for being so tart at getting
his students exam questions,even tho,he never
was a professor,only a Lecturer!-:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I think Obow was aiming at those graduates who might be Conservative, telling them in a roundabout way they’re ‘intolerant’ if they don’t accept a Leftist view. No way will I believe he was aiming at his own ilk, to suggest liberals stop calling us bigots, racists, and Nazis.

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 8:37 AM
==========================

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

cmsinaz: After recieving Capt’n Ed’s book,a video of
Obama recieving it,will make a You-Tube sen
sational hit(sarc)-:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I wonder how much rent Limbaugh and Beck are paying to live inside that gargantuan-eared, intolerant little head.

RepubChica on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

“Opinions for me” “But not for thee”

wheels on May 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

From yourObama’s lips to gods Obama’s ears…

doriangrey on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM
=======================================

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Liam: Yup,thats the Community Agitator in Hopey!!:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

RepubChica on May 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Not a penny. Fun to watch this joker-in-chief slowly implode, isn’t it?

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

The entire premise is being misunderstood. You have to understand how liberals think to understand the point of being “well read”, which is what Obama was suggesting the graduates become.

To a liberal, being well informed means reading and watching sources from a liberal point of view. Any source that is even a little bit right of center is too much for a liberal.

Take Rush Limbaugh vs Keith Olberman. Even conservatives consider the two men to be comparable. They represent extremes of the right and left. Oh, really? Do they? To conservatives they do. I’ve never once seen a conservative pundit ever object to comparing them to each other.

But ask a liberal if Rush and Keith are comparable. Are you kidding? Rush is a right wing nutjob who deserves nothing but a slow, painful death. Keith is a respected journalist with the courage of his convictions.

It’s like comparing, oh I don’t know… The Huffington Post with Fox News. Yeah, that’s a great comparison, too. To a liberal.

Jaynie59 on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

ProfessorMiao on May 5, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Make that two of us…I think he just might be insane.

scalleywag on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Obambi also refers to HIMSELF as ‘Prof’.
SURE; And I’m a PhD in nuclear nano-technology.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM

heh :)

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM
======================================
Obambi also refers to HIMSELF as ‘Prof’.
SURE; And I’m a PhD in nuclear nano-technology.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Cybergeezer:Yup,and I have a herd of Canadian Beavers in
their natural habitat!,ahem,I kid!!:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:51 AM
heh :)

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:55 AM

cmsinaz:Tee-Hee:)

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:57 AM

canopfor on May 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

His lecture on the State of his Wazoo findings would be a good companion piece to the stuff that’s been coming out of HillBuzz lately.

ontherocks on May 5, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Jaynie59 on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I have a comparison:

If an abusive man kills his wife, he should be executed. But if an Islamist blows up a merry-go-round full of children, liberals will pull out all stops to defend him. Just to be ‘fair’, of course…

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM

I do enjoy watching a hateful little individual become smaller and more detestable in the daily media.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Said Mr. I Won, the nation’s most liberal Senator in Congress in his day and the most progressive, politically insular President we’ve seen in our lives. I don’t know if it’s irony or hypocrisy. I’ll go with both. If he were any more polarizing, we’d call him “Magnet.”

AnonymousDrivel on May 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Not a penny. Fun to watch this joker-in-chief slowly implode, isn’t it?

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

lol…you’re right. They’re living rent free, gutting out the rotting walls, smashing windows and turning everything inside out.

RepubChica on May 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Because Barry has demonstrated what a voracious reader he is! /s

Really, does BamBam read anything other than his Blackberry and the occasional glowing review?

rockbend on May 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM

RepubChica on May 5, 2010 at 9:01 AM

The best is yet to come. But I confess to worry about this clown having access to the nuclear launch codes. Obow strikes me as a person who not only will say anything, but will one DO anything he can to save his sorry ‘reputation’.

Bush didn’t touch the nuclear option against Iraq, but instead used conventional forces. I truly believe Obow will go there if he feels ‘need’.

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

He must read HotAir where we all agree 100% with each other and AllahPundit and Ed and we spend hours patting each other on the back, congratulating each other for our insight, and never saying a harsh word toward our fellow HotAryans™.

, studies suggest that we will become more polarized, more set in our ways.

Why not if I’m right to begin with?

davidk on May 5, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Next up: Fairness Doctrine.
Or Internet Fairness Doctrine.
Every time a site branded conservative by the government is visited, ‘suggested’ websites for ‘alternative’ material ‘espousing’ ‘different’ points of view will be spammed your way.

Badger40 on May 5, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I need a barf bag at all times when Obama speaks. Along with his Cairo speech, this U. of Michigan speech is a crap sandwich with a sugary coating, filled with baloney and malarkey, with a dash of vinegar and a smear of deceit.

Buy Danish on May 5, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Wonder how philosophical diverse his staff is….

apostic on May 5, 2010 at 8:10 AM

It is VERY diverse. He has every imaginable type of communist and Marxist on his staff.

Daggett on May 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Is he going to propose legislation to that effect?

His suggestion that the First Amendment needs tweaking is repulsive.

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Rockbend: if it is about him, he’ll read it :)

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 9:54 AM

In my experience liberals are the least informed, least intellectually honest people I encounter. Why should I respect their bloody opinions? People usually become known to me as liberals by espousing discredited or illogical views.

“I think a woman has a right to chop up babies and the rich should pay more taxes and poverty causes terrorism and we need more solar and wind power to combat climate change and the government should level the playing field and redistribute the wealth and we need more minorities on the courts and no human being is illegal and gays should be allowed to serve openly in the Marines…”

I mean, I can smell that from a mile away. Why would I want to get any closer to it, let alone swallow it?

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM

The most interesting part of this statement is that the onus is placed upon the consumers and not the producers of the media. Why is that, I wonder? Is he really saying that writers and talking heads should be, or it is OK to be, polarizing? Yet, the consumers need to challenge their assumptions? What an interesting world view.

EliTheBean on May 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Nothing to see here. Move on. Just President Two-faced spouting off again. Move along.

GarandFan on May 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM

EliTheBean on May 5, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Great perspective. The point of learning how to think logically is to install a reliable B.S. filter, not to give equal weight to truth and B.S.

Obviously, Obooba hasn’t learned how to think logically.

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Liam on May 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Get serious. This is President Nuclear-Free World you’re talking about. I can’t see him using nukes under any circumstances.

ProfessorMiao on May 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 9:59 AM

A good treatment of this subject is over at AT in Robin the recovering lib’s piece.

Some of the comments are excellent as usual.

ontherocks on May 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Sorry the copied url won’t load, but it’s still worth a glance.

ontherocks on May 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM

This from the guy who brooks no dissension from anyone. This from a guy whose skin is so thin that it’s only he who is transparent, and not his administration, as he promised. It takes some real nerve to lecture students in the most hypocritical of terms and then be comfortable with smearing the Tea Partiers. Unbelievable!

College Prof on May 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM

“On the other hand, kudos to the HuffPo, and I’m not being sarcastic. They may not be my cup of tea, but getting a presidential shout-out will look good on the masthead.”

But still not as good as this:

“(Helen)Thomas said she was especially concerned about the arrangement between the Obama Administration and a writer from the liberal Huffington Post Web site. The writer was invited by the White House to President Obama’s press conference last week on the understanding that he would ask Obama a question about Iran from among questions that had been sent to him by people in Iran.”

mrt721 on May 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I just can’t wait to hear what this little pr!ck has to say to the Kalamazoo Michigan High School students, when he comes back in June.
Kalamazoo won this “honor” in Michigan’s Race to the Top. More like our “Plummet to the Bottom”.
Hey kiddies of Kalamazoo, get ready for the most boring lecture/graduation speech you’ve EVER heard.

ZeeMI on May 5, 2010 at 11:20 AM

When the liberals figure out how much they’ve been used by the Obama Regime and his pantywaist lackeys, they’ll slam the door on his foot.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Obama’s idea for a perfect America under his rule would be an Ochlocracy.
A big word for ‘mob rule’, and one word you’ll never hear the Obama Regime, nor his attack media use.

Cybergeezer on May 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM

“Drink the water, I’ll drink the champagne, peasants!”

Hypocrisy is completely lost.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Who left the irony on?

Akzed on May 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Surprise … surprise … surprise

During his time in the Senate and while running for president, Obama received a total of $77,051 from the oil giant and is the top recipient of BP PAC and individual money over the past 20 years, according to financial disclosure records.

… NOT

J_Crater on May 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Conservatives are forced to watch Obama or complements about him on every channel including sometimes on FoxNews. He has been on Celebrity Apprentice, ESPN & some of the Hollywood gossip shows. I spent years watching Oprah flap her jaws spewing liberal garbage.

All liberals have to do is avoid AM radio and channel 360 & still the Censor-in-Chief continues his assault on critics.

HellCat on May 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM

It may make your blood boil

To listen to Obama, that is! I agree, Mr. President!

Steve Z on May 5, 2010 at 3:26 PM

You didn’t think it was “us.” You thought it was you, and you let us know it. You used a loophole to ram the Senate bill through the House, when it was clear that it violated the popular will and the intent of the Founders, which was that critical bills should be passed by a supermajority.

You defied “us” every step of the way, and you reveled in doing so; allowing your leadership to rub it in later. Wasn’t it just weeks ago that you sneered at the rallies on Tax Day, and dared the people who want health care repealed to “Go for it!” to a howling, partisan crowd?

What brought on your sudden conversion to the banner of tolerance? Was it polls showing you did not get the bounce that you wanted, and that the anger you roused could kneecap your agenda? Was it then that you realized that “anger” was dangerous?

We hardly blame you. In your shoes, we’d be wary, too.

It was “you,” and not “us,” and did you ever let us know it. Perhaps in November, it will be “us” again.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Isn’t Huffpo burning through a million a month despite their high traffic?

It seems almost impossible for Huffpo to make it through to Nov. 2012. . . .or will they be a part of the media bail-out now that they’ve been identified as a favorite of The One?

Jason Coleman on May 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM