Gallup: GOP’s lead in voter enthusiasm down to 10 points

posted at 8:40 pm on May 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

What happened? I thought we had our boot on their throats!

Granted, everyone expected a GOP enthusiasm surge in late March after the ObamaCare bomb dropped, but an 11-point downturn in less than a month? The media told me that we’re a bunch of crazed, wild-eyed, rage-filled “teabaggers.” Does the crazy wild-eyed rage dissipate so soon? Even worse, the Dems are holding basically steady at their pathetic O-Care high-water mark. If they pass financial reform, cap-and-trade, and amnesty, they could crack 40! What do we do then?

Two serious notes here. One, per Greenroom contributor Karl: How come the “epistemic closure” debate hasn’t gotten around to asking why the left’s predictions about a big post-ObamaCare enthusiasm surge fell so flat? Doesn’t it take a certain amount of intellectual cocooning to convince yourself that your pet policy wish will pay big electoral dividends when the more likely outcome was perfectly predictable? Two: If Democratic enthusiasm stays low in Florida, does that put Rubio in jeopardy? Think about it. If Meek can’t get traction and push himself up into the low 30s with support from the base, the party will pressure him to drop out and endorse Crist in the interest of beating the conservative darling. Which is bad news, since Crist is likely to pull at least 10 percent of centrist Republicans under any scenario. With a unified Democratic Party behind him, he’ll be very tough to beat. Exit question: Second look at Democratic enthusiasm?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Sorry, I said repeal twice. Guess I would like to repeal it twice!

sandee on May 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM

As pointed out earlier, the turnout in the primaries yesterday seems to contradict this poll. Republicans turned out much more than the stupid, er, I mean, Democrats.

WannabeAnglican on May 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Or , Dems polled might have just decided to deliberately skew the poll. The Levin approach but with polls? I know, paranoia but it could happen!!

jeanie on May 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

You notice the trend with Gallup? They try and help Democrats with lying polls as long as they can, and then in the end try and make their polls the same as everybody else.

Adrift in a sea of lies, hold to the truth.

I assume the poll was taken before the Democrats bad news Tuesday elections.

tarpon on May 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Unless of course crr6 is a willing enforcer for them.

bluemarlin on May 5, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Oh yeah. I mean, that’s totally my game plan.

crr6 on May 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM

The defense of Arizona has been shoddy. Too detached from the media’s chosen dicussion via emotion. Conservative better learn how to win this game or they will be toast. 1964 all over again

conservador on May 5, 2010 at 11:22 PM

For months here and elsewhere people have said it is difficult to maintain anger over the long haul.

I don’t know what November is going to look like but I doubt any Tea Partiers will stay home.

The election, like all elections, begins in the fall.

By the way… Europe is melting down and Obama is at least partly responsible for this oil spill. Why isn’t this bigger news on Hot Air?

petunia on May 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM

So we go from a post dismantling the APs incumbant rage theory with E
enthusiasm isn’t anti-incumbant but ANTI-DEMOCRAT to THIS POST!?!

Let me just point our that with all the new pop-up advertising and ads surrounding your logo, go with these kind of posts are not gonna be worth the effort. Just a suggestion AllahP.

Sultry Beauty on May 6, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I trust the liberal media to gin up conservative anger and therefore Republican voting enthusiasm, in the end.

There’ll be last-minute articles about how racist we all are.

tigerinexile on May 6, 2010 at 3:59 AM

If the violent street protests in Greece continue — or spread through the EU (the latter at this point seems unlikely) — you can expect a deepening concern about our fiscal situation. This is a core TEA theme, so it may benefit them.

Meanwhile in shabby campus apartments all over the U.S., people are looking at video of flambeed Greek riot cops and paralyzed urban centers and are taking notes on technique.

DrSteve on May 6, 2010 at 7:54 AM

The tea party stayed home on election day in Ohio on Tuesday. We had so many tea party nutjobs on our ballot it took me 5 minutes to fill it out (and vote against every one of them, just as most of Ohio did!)

The tea party is all bark, no bite. It’s proven every primary.

NoStoppingUs on May 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Allah, you’re disconnected. We’ve had RNC BondageGate and their $340K Hawaiian “conference”. And now Michael Steele is, apparently pro-Amnesty. How could you not see that? The GOP Hierarchy / RNC has not only “not” improved since 11/4/08 but they’ve deteriorated. And the likes of Palin, Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Coulter, et al are not helping one bit. The whole lot of you are disconnected, off target and out of phase. Darvin Dowdy

Darvin Dowdy on May 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I have made up my mind on what to do this election. So now I am on to other concerns. Still does not mean I am not enthusiastic, just a little tired of the same old stuff.

But I will be there when the time is right.

NOTE: I have commpleately turned off Hannity because he has had nothing new to same in months. I agree with Bob Beckle (Yuck, I hate myself for saying this), when he complains that all Hannity does is rattle off lists instead of having engaging disscussions. That is why I switched to Micheal Medvid and Jerry Doyle for the afternoon radio listening.

mechkiller_k on May 6, 2010 at 8:54 AM

The tea party is all bark, no bite. It’s proven every primary.

NoStoppingUs on May 6, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Good candidates are what people are wanting, not some label.

AnninCA on May 6, 2010 at 11:14 AM

TRUE.

meMC on May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Take this poll and shove it!

MCGIRV on May 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM

taking a breather while BO prepares us for comprehensive immigration! We have to pace ourselves.

elifino on May 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Much of the lose of enthusiasm in our circles is related to the continuing lack of conservative vision in the RINO Senate. Some may just be all about keeping your powder dry for the fight ahead…

While McCain is on hiatus getting reelected in AZ, he’s got a gaggle of very capable Mitch led RINO fill-ins, none of whom give much hope that they can articulate a clear a conservative vision is nor how a GOP take over in the fall might change things.

Perhaps if these RINOs quietly sat down in the back of the room and let some like DeMint take the reigns, you’d get more enthusiasm…

drfredc on May 6, 2010 at 8:11 PM