CBO: Doc fix will cost more than anyone thought

posted at 3:35 pm on May 5, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Legislate in haste, repent at leisure.  The ObamaCare bill signed by Barack Obama after getting hastily and repeatedly rewritten in backroom negotiations by Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid turns out to cost a lot more than they admitted — and in new areas that keep appearing after its passage.  The CBO now estimates the “doctor fix” that Pelosi and Reid promised to the AMA in exchange for their support will cost much more than the Democratic leaders admitted, emphases mine:

The debate over what to do about Medicare payments to doctors continues. Physicans have been lobbying ”to repeal the Sustainable Growth Rate formula, which triggers automatic Medicare payment cuts if spending rises above a certain level,” CongressDailyreports. Those cuts have been put off for years.

On Friday, the Congressional Budget Office said that just freezing current Medicare payment rates to doctors would likely cost nearly $276 billion through 2020, a 33 percent increase from legislation that would “accomplish that goal introduced late last year by Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., estimated to cost $207 billion at the time” according to CongressDaily. ”Aides on both sides of the aisle attributed the cost increase to assumptions of an improved economy, which tends to add more to the cost of health services, as well as demographic changes that foresee increased numbers of retirees in 2020 over the previous year.”

Democrats would like to pass a “doc fix” bill to stave off the cuts for perhaps as long as five years — at a cost of almost $89 billion — but scheduled cuts are slated to take effect June 1 if nothing is done. “The American Medical Association is continuing to lobby hard for a permanent fix, despite the cost”[.]

Wouldn’t that have been good to know in March?  I’m sure Congress will immediately undertake an investigation of how that managed to slip their attention.  While they’re at it, they can explain why 18 states opted to avoid the federal high-risk pool:

Eighteen states have said they will not administer a stopgap program to provide insurance coverage to people whose preexisting conditions have left them uninsured, forcing the federal government to do the work.

The states’ decisions increase the challenge the government faces as it sets out to translate the far-reaching health-care legislation into action, and they hint at the complexities to come. …

Most states already have high-risk pools, but they can be prohibitively expensive and they generally do not meet the new federal requirements.

The chief actuary at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services has predicted that the $5 billion allotted for the new program will run out as early as next year.

We covered that shortfall earlier, when Kathleen Sebelius admitted to Congress that HHS has no idea how much that program will cost. Meanwhile, another $5 billion program may run out of money sooner than expected — a subsidy that gives employers incentives to keep early retirees on their plans:

Trying to entice cost-weary employers to keep providing medical coverage to early retirees, the Obama administration is making $5 billion available until the safety net of the new health care law is in place. …

Preventing an immediate rush to the exits by employers is one of the main goals of the new subsidy program, authorized under the health care overhaul law. Among employers with 500 or more workers, only 28 percent offer health benefits to early retirees, down from 46 percent in 1993, according to Mercer, a benefits consulting firm.

Under the program, employers can get reimbursed for up to 80 percent of the cost of medical claims between $15,000 and $90,000 for their early retirees. The government payments can be used to reduce premiums for retirees and their dependents, or by employers to keep their own costs in check. The benefit takes effect June 1.

Large companies and labor unions successfully lobbied to include the early retiree subsidy in the broader health overhaul. Nearly 2 million people ages 55-64 currently have health insurance through a former employer.

Congress set aside $5 billion to finance the benefit until Jan. 1, 2014, but it’s unclear how long the money will last. Employers are expected to sign up without delay.

In other words, the price to get the AMA’s backing of ObamaCare turns out to be 33% more than estimated at the time, assuming Congress actually enacts it.  Two of the programs designed to allow the Obama administration to delay implementation until 2014 (and therefore skew the cost estimates in the first decade) may not have enough money to last more than a year.  Normally, these are the kinds of issues that Congress resolves before making law.

From now on, just assume that anything a Democratic Congress produces will be costlier than anyone admits, and that their leadership probably hasn’t even bothered to calculate the real costs of it.

Comments

I’m shocked!! /no tag required

dont taze me bro on May 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’m shocked! Shocked, I say!

Phil-351 on May 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM

By design.

Inanemergencydial on May 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Surprise….not.

Aye Chihuahua on May 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Surprise and shock are indignant.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Policy is all that matters.

Dems will not escape the consequences of making this the major fight of the year, of over-promising and underdelivering.

I was and remain a support of public option.

I can’t believe they are foisting this horrible buracratic mess on us.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

HMMM…..an entitlement program that will exceed financial boundaries???? And it was enacted by Democrats? I don’t believe it!!!!!

/sarc

search4truth on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Just wait till single payer hits and your doctor is wearing a purple SEIU shirt and was educated in Mumbai. Should work out great.

Inanemergencydial on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Like you really had to tell us to do this?

Doughboy on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Golly…

myrenovations on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

When the ‘public option’ is the ONLY option…kinda renders the whole thing moot, wouldn’t you say?

Dark-Star on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Captain Renault Award of the Day.

MassVictim on May 5, 2010 at 3:40 PM

“We have to pass it so you’ll know what’s in it…”

Seven Percent Solution on May 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM

From now on???

Daggett on May 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I can’t believe they are foisting this horrible buracratic mess on us.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Oh, you were just born yesterday… that explains everything. Also, I need to ask, did the fall from the turnip truck hurt much?

myrenovations on May 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

How…. unexpected.

NeighborhoodCatLady on May 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I was and remain a support of public option.

I can’t believe they are foisting this horrible buracratic mess on us.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Sorry, Ann, the public option is just another bureaucratic mess. Government NEVER shrinks and that is what the “public option” is. But then, everyone here has told you that about a thousand times.

search4truth on May 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

From now on?

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Obama lied and the economy died!

barnone on May 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Hell, why should those bastards care! They don’t even READ the laws they pass!

Come on NOVEMBER!

GarandFan on May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

search4truth on May 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yes, and this column isn’t about that issue.

My real point?

This is horrible legislation, and everyone knows it, even moderates/liberals.

It just is unworkable.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Umm already been doing that for at least 4 years. What’s with this “from now on” business?

Youngs98 on May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

From now on, As in the past,just assume that anything a Democratic Congress produces will be costlier than anyone admits, and that their leadership probably hasn’t even bothered to calculate the real costs of it.

FIFY

mwdiver on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

This just in from the CBO and the NYT;

Water is Wet!

barnone on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

From now on?

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I agree. We have “winked” at politicians and their spending for years and years.

We can no longer afford them.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I was and remain a support of public option.

I can’t believe they are foisting this horrible buracratic mess on us.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Always good for a giggle…

Youngs98 on May 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I hope come Nov. I do not have to see that old bat’s picture again, that is dear nan. I hope those d’s that voted and still support this will wake up and vote to stop this mess.
L

letget on May 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Collapse U.S…….bring about Global unaccountable New World Order ruled by Elites in various Countries.

Dream of Progressives (RINOs and Dems) for a 100 years plus………get more popcorn the Movie is playing on our screens right now.

ObamaCare alone can do it!!!

PappyD61 on May 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

FIFY

mwdiver on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

We can no longer afford them.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Problem is, they can afford us. Politicians have taken a lesson from their lobbyist string-pullers and thought up a thousand ways to buy votes.

Dark-Star on May 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

admit is not a part of their vocabulary

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM

In a related story ……..

Doctors bill you for treating your illness.

Unexpected.

fogw on May 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM

We have “winked” at politicians and their spending for years and years.

Don’t lump me in with you.

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I thinks its ripe for another, legitimate medical association to be formed and marketed to the people as “America’s Doctors”.

The AMA is nothing more than cess pool of policy lobbyists, looking for a handout, with less than 30% Dr’s participating…

I am pretty sure there are some deep pockets in the other 70%, along with alumni Med School cred.

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I think the real issue is over revenue building. Supporting entitlement programs, bloated pension plans, etc., has not been high on anyone’s priority list. It was a bit like having a diamond in your jewelry drawer. Felt good. Wore it from time to time.

Now, however, people are facing losing everything they have worked for their entire lives. Retirement plans are in disarray, due to switching everyone over to the stock market. OK, but then that leads to big problems. We’re suppose to bail them out now with taxes?

I’m sure a lot of people are like me. Just how does this really work? I bail out with more tax dollars to ensure that I get my promised retirement plan?

Hello?

I think they are asking me to ante up, yet again. My deposits for 25 years aren’t quite enough. They want even more.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM

At this point Anything that is announced by Pelosi, Reid, Gibbs, Holder, Sibelius, Obama, Axlerod & Company is highly suspect and most likely laced liberally with Lies, Half Truths and Party Line Fairy Tales.

The MSM, Huffpo, Move On and the rest are just the monkeys that dance while Obama grinds the organ until the Free Ice Cream runs out.

“Public opinion is just divisive and disruptive dissent and Un-American according to the Pretender in Chief. This message comes from the Ministry of Propaganda and Public Enlightenment”

old trooper2 on May 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM

We can no longer afford them.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Spending’s one thing – running fraudulant numbers, via the CBO to buy votes, without knowing the price tag is another.

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Wow. Who saw this coming.

SlaveDog on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

This is horrible legislation, and everyone knows it, even moderates/liberals.

It just is unworkable.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:44 PM

So, if conservatives, moderates, and liberals all know that ObamaCare is crap, then how do you explain it’s passage?

Purportedly, it was passed to help the American citizen. The citizenry is learning more and more daily that it does not. So who is benefitting from it? If the answer is “no one”, then what is the real purpose of the bill?

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Over at Best of the Web Today, this would fall under the category of “NEWS FROM 1935.” Glad you’re catching on, Ed.

DaydreamBeliever on May 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Hay no problema, tax the rich.

jukin on May 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I say No to the ante up more plan.

Let them figure out a different plan.

I don’t even care if means, go broke, US.

Heck, look at Germany. They were broke after WWII.

I personally don’t choose to be “noosed” by our financial outlook. If we messed up big-time and are really broke, then…let’s face it.

I still think a republic is the best method of government I see working today.

But maybe we really messed up.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

That’s my girl! I almost thought for a minute that you had lost your radical chic and done something for the good of the country instead of yourself and the party. Nice pic, though. This calls for another XX in celebration.

Kissmygrits on May 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I find that so disgusting. It makes a mockery of the traditional work ethic and the American Dream that people will be blackmailed into paying twice for something they’ve already ‘bought’ for decades.

Dark-Star on May 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Atta girl… I didn’t think your stupid tank was empty.

Inanemergencydial on May 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I guess we know why Healthcare Talk stopped the moment it was passed.

Admin knew costs were much higher, MSM knew it was higher and continued to lie… now the real price tag is “close” to being disclosed (it aint going down)… yet 24/7 ad nauseum MSM coverage concerning the “epic bill” and “Obama’s legacy” are no where to be found…

Odie1941 on May 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

I guess I’ll sound silly, but it’s easy. They had the votes.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM

But maybe we really messed up.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

“We” is applicable only to those who voted for Obama. How many (R)s voted for ObamaCare?

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Republican Congressman Paul Ryan tried to warn the Democrats/Obama Administration; they refused to listen. The MSM chose to look the other way.

I vote we let the Democrat Party and the Network News pay the shortfall out of their own pockets.

TN Mom on May 5, 2010 at 4:01 PM

It’s a good thing that the politicians exempted themselves from this nightmare…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on May 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM

I think that most people are terribly afraid of the cost of living.

It’s just crazy.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:03 PM

well, bright side, at least we got those 400,000 jobs almost immediatly.

oh wait…

JusDreamin on May 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Atta girl… I didn’t think your stupid tank was empty.

Inanemergencydial on May 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Thanks. I think we have to honestly let go.

And let it fall.

I think we would all be surprised, too, by the outcome.

We’re not without resources as we’re now thinking.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM

But maybe we really messed up.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Mouse in your pocket Ann?

JusDreamin on May 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM

It’s not an oversight, it’s a feature…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on May 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I totally remember when my company switched people into 401K plans. They reduced the traditional plans.

And their real costs.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Power, control, bossing others around. Of course, you knew that already–sometimes I answer rhetorical questions.

DrMagnolias on May 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Collectivism works perfectly well in a very low-tech, agriculture-based economy.

Once you get beyond that, everything starts breaking down real quick.

logis on May 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM

At that moment, I did know…we’re all now tied to Wall St.

The people who say, “Oh, ignore Wall St. That’s not the real economy.”

Those are liars who are pretending that most of the baby-boom generation is tied deeply to Wall St., through retirement funds.

I think most will lose that padding, and that’s the truth.

I’d love to blame someone.

But to be honest, the only people I KNOW are responsible are the executives in my own company who did this to save money and pad their golden parachutes.

Not every fingerpointing by Obama is wrong.

He’s right about that one.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Maybe they should tap into 401-k plans. Lots of money there….

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

So AMA…. Suck it up now.

antisocial on May 5, 2010 at 4:13 PM

In short, the baby-boom generation is totally screwed.

LOL*

Let’s all practice together: “Welcome to Wall-mart.”

We’re just screwed, big-time.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM

***

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Democrats are like George Constanza. They wanted to be able to say that they accomplished something historic even if it would ruin everyone, including themselves, in the process.

BuckeyeSam on May 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

*shudder*
they better not touch my 401(k)…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

talk about choas and revolution…that would be the straw

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Gee, and for weeks now I thought the Socialists were just taking it easy and lying low at least until November.

NOT!!!

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 4:14 PM

No, we do not give up on our country. We remember November, we vote in people who love the Constitution and are willing to fight for it, and we make sure this is repealed–for a start. Then we work our way toward taking our country back. Saving the Republic means no squishiness or moral preening about “compassion”–it means toughening up and saying, “Do you want to eat? Then you’d better get a job and start taking care of you and yours, because that isn’t my job.” People who are surprised by this Obamacare news, however, probably are not up to the task.

DrMagnolias on May 5, 2010 at 4:21 PM

. . . and what else did anybody expect from these left wing lying pukes?

rplat on May 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM

BobMbx on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

That’s rhetorical, right?

Midas on May 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Maybe they should tap into 401-k plans. Lots of money there….

lorien1973 on May 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

If they dare do this, the “unmentionable subject” here at HA will become a reality overnight.

Midas on May 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM

*shudder*
they better not touch my 401(k)…

cmsinaz on May 5, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Ha! They way they do this is to destroy the markets. Then as you watch your 401k crash they promise to handle it for you, and promise bigger returns. After all its backed by the Government so its good right?

Is it Marie Antoinette Time yet???

orbitalair on May 5, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Wait………the government says a program will cost such and such dollars and then it ends up costing a whole lot more?

How can that be? We better report on this STAT!

The people need to know, after all!

Opposite Day on May 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM

This is of course “unexpected”

Opposite Day on May 5, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Ed, I would argue that it isn’t just Democrats this applies to but politicians in general. Don’t forget Bush / Repub Congress and the Medicare Drug Benefit. There’s another one that has was dishonestly sold on price and is well over what it was supposed to “cost”.

mrveritas on May 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM

He is coming after your 401 next. He needs it so he can cover under funded pensions for the unions.

seven on May 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Wow. Who saw this coming.

SlaveDog on May 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Pelosi asked Congress to vote for the bill so we could see what was in it. Now that we know, can we get a mulligan?

Or is this like getting the toothpaste back into the tube?

She plays, we pay. And pay. And pay some more.

Steve Z on May 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM

2011 will be known as The Year of The Unprecedented Impeachment Trials.

Key West Reader on May 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Washington DC – Nearly a month after the highly controversial healthcare reform bill was signed into law by President Obama, new and surprising details continue to emerge.

Many critics of the reform package had long argued that congress was passing the bill without fully reviewing its contents. After a month of unexpected details, conflicting passages and unintended consequences those who steadfastly plumb the law’s 2,000-page depths continue to reveal ever more startling finds.

Among the finds was $6.37 in loose change that fell from among the pages when a congressional staffer held the printed law over his head and shook it vigorously.

The change was immediately scooped up and placed in a coin kitty by House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer who declared the find a cost-savings enhancement but the money appears to have already been spent by the president who was rifling through sofa cushions looking for money for a pack of cigarettes.

Another interesting discovery was a half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich, stickily plastered in the section referring to insurance mandate enforcement. Although it made the section on mandate enforcement all but unreadable, Treasury Secretary Geithner spoke at length to reassure anxious Americans that the IRS and its 15,000 new agents was still fully prepared to meet the law’s enforcement obligations.

Perhaps one of the most contentious finds was a series of erotic short stories by author Gore Vidal, interspersed between pages 1,625 and 1,842 of the law. An aide to Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass) immediately denied any knowledge of how the stories were included in the bill before this reporter was able to contact his office for comment.

–Mr. Snuggle Bunny, reporting

Mr Snuggle Bunny on May 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Wow, what a surprise!
Taxpayers are screwed again!
Who woulda thunk it?!?

Haiku Guy on May 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I am gobsmacked!

pckle on May 5, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Let me see if I’ve got how this works:

Before ObamaCare is passed:
a) a consistent majority of Americans (patients) opposes Obamacare

b) 65% of physicians oppose ObamaCare (Investors Business Daily poll)

c) the AMA–which supposedly represents physicians and the best interests of their patients–directly repudiates the views of physicians and patients, and comes out publicly in support of ObamaCare at a critical time (“AMA Supports House Passage of Health System Reform“)

d) Pelosi, Reid, and Obama — in back room deals — pull the cost of the Doc Fix out of ObamaCare to get their magical “< $1 trillion" CBO score, while even the CBO notes that the assumption that the Doc Fix will not be addressed is a fantasy.

and now (surprise!):
e) Pelosi, Reid, et al are now considering separate Doc Fix legislation that will cost $276 Billion — a number that if included in ObamaCare would have torpedoed key 'moderate' Dem support.

Wow, I just can't fathom the coincidence of this all…

Dr. James Rohack, president of the AMA, is an unrepentant lady of the night.

Derailleur on May 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I was and remain a support of public option.

AnninCA

You were and still are, a complete idiot.

xblade on May 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Who is this “anyone’ you speak of?

I always thought this entire bill was a giant pile of nonsense. As was the figures used to justify it. The figures aren’t right because the figures were never the point. This bill won’t work because that was never the point.

Obamacare has now become “too big too fail.” When this thing collapses as it was planned to collapse the Democrats talking point will be, not that it was a good try, but that “we tried it your way and it didn’t work, so now we’ll just have to try single-payer.” And that was the entire point.

Fred 2 on May 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Fred 2 on May 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Exactly…The point of the bill is to break privately owned insurance companies. Once government interference has sufficiently destroyed our private health care system, it will insert itself as the savior with single payer, like Canada.

Inanemergencydial on May 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM

If you haven’t seen Generation Zero by Citizens United you should. It explains how all of this is planned and the goal is to so over extend the USA that it collapses. We are already in more debt than our children or grandchildren or theirs will ever be able to pay off. Obama and his masters are evil to their core. They plan to live away from us when this all comes crashing down. November might be too late but I know we have to try…

CCRWM on May 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Out of curiosity, if the extent of Obamacare was only to set up high-righ health insurance pools for people with pre-existing conditions, would Hotair readers oppose it or would you be okay with that? Don’t think of it as Obamacare, if that helps.

tikvah on May 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM

high-risk, of course.

tikvah on May 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM

There is nothing more expensive than “free” health care.

RJL on May 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Greece today = USA tomorrow

tru2tx on May 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Midas on May 5, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Undoubtedly. As Ann mentioned, plenty of people are already being made to pay twice for their retirement, and I can bet they’re none too happy about it. If the gov’t tries that sort of direct looting, it will have all the wisdom of trying to get a fur coat by skinning a live panther.

Dark-Star on May 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

The collapse of our economy will be the desired endpoint for all the state and federal politicians who just keep voting for massive public spending programs. The easier to manipulate and direct the peons and exercise total authoritarian power. What else explains their total disregard of reality?

The forced march down the road to serfdom has officially begun.

in_awe on May 5, 2010 at 9:10 PM

O.k…. I actually want to read this law at this point.

Is this it?

Seriously, I want a copy of this thing to read through. Somebody please point me to the actual law.

Theophile on May 6, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Well, not everyone was fooled. I recall nearly everyone I follow on twitter and everyone I heard call into a talk radio program saying we were being lied to about costs.

painfulTruthDisciple on May 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM

You’re missing the point….who cares WHAT it costs?

Our beloved Congress has bestowed FREE health care on us!!!!!!

Aren’t they wonderful?

The folks who were paranoid that Bush and Cheney were listening to their every word on a cell phone call have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the Federal Government knowing the EXACT CONTENTS of their health records.

Ain’t it just peachy having countless, faceless government beaurcrats armed with the knowledge of whether you’ve ever “been to rehab” or had an STD? Comforting to know they won’t mis-use that information.

olesparkie on May 6, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Speaker Pelosi and Sen. Reid have no idea what anything costs nor how to generate the funds necessary to cover those costs.

Hawaii, California,Oregon and all of those other states with left leaning political lordship view the public as a vote every 2, 4 and 6 years. The rest of the time we are their personal ATM’s.

MSGTAS on May 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Charge back to Reid and Peelozi…..

Remember to Vote in Nov. 2010 and 2012

BigMike252 on May 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I was and remain a support of public option.

I can’t believe they are foisting this horrible buracratic mess on us.

AnninCA on May 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

You should know that this is a textbook case of believing two totally contradictory things at the same time.

Any public option by definition will be a horrible bureaucratic mess.

tom on May 6, 2010 at 2:00 PM