Pakistan arrests eight in connection to Times Square attack; Update: High-Value Interrogation Group handling Shahzad

posted at 12:55 pm on May 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Faisal Shahzad claims to have acted alone in his attempt to bomb Times Square, but no one else seems willing to buy that explanation — not even the Pakistanis.  CBS reports that Pakistani authorities have already arrested eight men in connection to the investigation:

Sources tell CBS News that multiple people have been taken into custody for questioning in Pakistan in connection with the Times Square bomb plot.

Authorities are not saying who the potential suspects are or where they are being held, but they say there were raids Monday night and Tuesday morning in different locations. It’s believed between four and eight people are being held, and there are reports that some of them may be related to the suspect arrested overnight in New York.  …

Faisal Shahzad was taken into custody aboard the flight at Kennedy International Airport. An official said investigators still didn’t have evidence that Shahzad was connected to the Pakistani Taliban or any foreign terror groups, and that “He’s claimed to have acted alone, but these are things that have to be investigated.”

Of course, the leak to the Times about Shahzad’s supposed claims could have been disinformation anyway.  They may have hoped to stall some of Shahzad’s alleged co-conspirators in place in order to allow enough time to grab them all.  The Pakistanis may or may not have solid leads, too, but may be looking for Shahzad’s relatives as a natural place to start their investigation into the Peshawar part of the terror plot, assuming one existed.

CNN and others are using the foreclosure as a potential motive for Shahzad’s radicalization, but it’s actually important for another reason.  The Shahzads apparently had so little money that they lost their house in Shelton and had to sell their possessions on Craigslist to generate some cash.  When Shahzad came back from Pakistan after five months, he suddenly had plenty of folding cash, buying the Pathfinder on that basis off of Craigslist just three weeks ago.  Somebody fronted Shahzad with a lot of money in a short period of time, right before he attempted to murder hundreds of people in a terrorist attack.  Unless the money came from Peshawar Powerball, there are few explanations that make sense other than a plot based out of Pakistan and funded by terrorists with access to a lot of cash.  The Taliban generates a lot of cash from the drug trade, and AQ gets financing from many sources.

As far as motives go, the bankruptcy certainly could have been a catalyst for his radicalization, assuming that process took place after his financial collapse.  However, Pakistan isn’t home to populist opposition to bankers, at least not in the sense that we see in normal American politics.  Assuming Shahzad is the bomber, his trip to Pakistan for five months and return with plenty of cash shows the true motive behind the attack, which is the same behind 9/11 and the series of terrorist attacks and attempts against the US before and since.

Update: Time’s sources report that Shahzad had visited a terrorist training camp during his stay in Pakistan.

Update II: The Washington Post reports two arrests in Karachi, and identifies one of the suspects:

In Pakistan, an intelligence official said authorities arrested at least two people in the southern port city of Karachi in connection with the Times Square bombing attempt. The official, who is not authorized to speak on the record, identified one of those arrested as Tausif Ahmed, who was picked up in a busy commercial neighborhood called Gulshan-e-Iqbal. He said Ahmed reportedly traveled two months ago to the United States to meet with Shahzad. The official did not have the other suspect’s name.

Pakistani television stations reported that as many as five other people with links to the alleged plot may have been arrested in the central industrial city of Faisalabad, but those reports could not immediately be confirmed.

Update III: A lesson learned from the botched handling of the EunuchBomber?  Jake Tapper reports that the High Value Interrogation Group is now handling Shahzad:

ABC News has learned that the High-Value Interrogation Group, or HIG, is involved in the interrogation of Faisal Shahzad, the man arrested last night in the investigation into the failed Times Square bombing.

After the arrest of the failed Christmas Day 2009 bomber Umar Farouq Abdulmutallab, the Obama administration was criticized for not having yet made operational the HIG, a special interrogation team for high-value terrorist suspects, though the Special Task Force on Interrogations and Transfer Policies had announced its recommendation to form such a group in August 2009. …

[Dennis Blair's] comments were interpreted as a rebuke of the decision to have the FBI interrogate Abdulmutallab. Before the end of the day, Blair issued a statement saying his remarks had “been misconstrued. The FBI interrogated Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab when they took him into custody. They received important intelligence at that time, drawing on the FBI’s expertise in interrogation that will be available in the HIG once it is fully operational.”

That then prompted questions as to why HIG was not yet operational. Within days, at the end of January 2010, National Security Adviser Gen. Jim Jones (ret.) signed the charter to form the HIG.

There isn’t any reason why the HIG would not get involved after a Miranda warning, either.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Set phasers to stoopit.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

As usual, it has nothing of value to contribute.
Just hit & run using stupidity.
God forbid that race hukster ever visits a muslim country as the infidel it is.
It would be very surprised at its reception.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Good Lt on May 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

+++++

ladyingray on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I sure hope Obama can get back to the links soon.

This terrorism and oil spill stuff is really hard.

profitsbeard on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Islam isn’t a Race, so if that’s why you’re trolling, it doesn’t work.
Those who follow Islam demand that you convert, die, or live in dhimmitude.
That’s pretty extremist.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Since Islam is not a race, you’re not a racist. That does not speak to my point. But, thank you for the preemptive denial.

Say five “Hail Palins” and all is forgiven.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM

What do Holly Hobbie and Dolly Madison have in common?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

ISLAM IS NOT A RACE ANY MORE THAN CHRISTIANITY IS A RACE.

IT’S A RELIGION AND A BELIEF SYSTEM POLITCAL IDEOLOGY MASQUERADING AS A RELIGION.

THERE ARE MUSLIMS OF EVERY ETHNIC AND RACIAL CATEGORY.

THANK YOU. WE NOW RETURN YOU TO REALITY.

Good Lt on May 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

FIFY.
Otherwise, perfect.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Islam is a race… to the end of Liberty.

profitsbeard on May 4, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Say five “Hail Palins” and all is forgiven.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

And really, what is your point w/ the slamming comment?
I do not need forgiveness for anything here.
Since your handle has Race Card in it, I can only assume that is what you meant.
Please enlighten us as to your meaning.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

What countries have I visited?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM

One thing I took away from the presser was a shift in how the DOJ treats suspected terrorists. There is a big difference between how they treated the Fruit-A-Kaboom bomber and how they are treating Shazad.

One has to wonder if it was because Shazad was a U.S. citizen.

Why is there not a data base containing the names of people living in the U.S. who are from Pakistan or other countries known to export terrorism? When these people book a flight anywhere they should receive a new CIA shadow. Shazad should have been on a no fly list and a must watch closely list.

This Regime is destined to epic failure where terrorism is concerned. The only reason this was not worse was the NY citizens, NY cops, and NY terrorism people.

freeus on May 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Have they asked him if he was against Obamacare yet or not?

JeffinOrlando on May 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM

when is dear leader going to show his smugness and indicate how he has done such a great job…

i,i,i,i,i,, me,me,me,me,me

cmsinaz on May 4, 2010 at 2:01 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM

You need to spend more time reading and less time playing with dolls, Sally.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM

So can we charge this Shazad with treason? Hmmmm?

freeus on May 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Please enlighten us as to your meaning.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Your assumptions have brought you this far. Why not just follow them over the cliff?

You base your remarks on a user nic instead of my actual statements. That’s archetypal stereotyping.

And really, what is your point w/ the slamming comment?

LMAO…you’re kidding right? Your slams are ok, but mine are somehow curious. Okely-dokely.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM

You need to spend more time reading and less time playing with dolls, Sally.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I kan reed gud.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:06 PM

What countries have I visited?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I’m not sure, but they must have been in a parallel universe.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

High Value Interrogation Group is now handling Shahzad

Toonces just earned a learners permit.

ted c on May 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM

And really, what is your point w/ the slamming comment?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Um… Your comment was a slam to the one you mentioned it to.
I never said slams were OK, or not OK-does your slam have a point, was what I’d like to know.
I’ve watched your comments over time & you seem very hyper about racial issues. So bcs this is a terrorist/muslim thread, based on your past behavior & your name here, it wasn’t too much of stretch to consider your comment might have had something to do with race.
So bcs you have yet to explain the context of your slam (does it really matter whether I approve of it or not?!),
I can only assume you are referencing race.
So what is it?

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM

So can we charge this Shazad with treason? Hmmmm?

freeus on May 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Of course not, but he will get one heck of a parking ticket.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:14 PM

As usual, it has nothing of value to contribute.
Just hit & run using stupidity.
God forbid that race hukster ever visits a muslim country as the infidel it is.It would be very surprised at its reception.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I post that, & you post this:

What countries have I visited?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Really. Do you understand anything you read?
What part of my comment asked you about countries you have visited?

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM

I’m not sure, but they must have been in a parallel universe.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

LOL!
Honestly, I’m not sure why I am wasting my time w/ it.
Trashy silly nonsense.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM

With the country going to heck in a handbasket, it is the only fun we can afford.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Don’t know if you caught this already Baxter, but here’s a great “timeline” for the oil spill done by Doug Ross.

Rovin on May 4, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Yea I got it…thanks for the link….Ross does the job the MSM is incapable of doing…you know…reporting the facts.

Baxter Greene on May 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I can only assume you are referencing race.
So what is it?

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM

You have clearly stated your limitation. You are a slave to your assumptions. By your own words, nothing I say to you will be considered objectively as you unable to consider any factor other than race.

Thank you for your honesty.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

That’s not limitation, that is pretty clear reasoning. I’m sure when you get to 10th grade, your math teacher will help you there, Sally.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Really. Do you understand anything you read?
What part of my comment asked you about countries you have visited?

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM

OK. I’m sorry but you need to understand how stupid you seem to be. I think the sooner you know that the sooner you can get help.

You said I should visit a Muslim country. How can you know that I have not without knowing at least some of the countries I have visited?

Don’t think that I look down on you simply because of your evasive intellect. I find stupidity to be quite charming at times.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

That explains the posts where you talk to yourself.

kingsjester on May 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

So do I, that’s why I’m voting you Miss Congeniality (but I will still look down on you).

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

kingsjester on May 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

You were better and quicker on the draw.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM

What do Holly Hobbie and Dolly Madison have in common?

The Race Card

They both agree you’re a complete idiot.

xblade on May 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Meanwhile the NYSlimes beclowns itself by presenting the transparent Jihadist strategy of claiming sole responsibility as “news”.

Of course he did… TOADIES… it is called a STRATEGY… which you, the NYSlimes, use to demonize the 60% of America that don’t think like you do every.single.day.

DANEgerus on May 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Tenth grade, hmmm. That was the year before I got accepted to take courses at an Ivy League university as a high school student.

“Math?” LMBAO. After Calculus things start to get a little more specific than the “math” you reference.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

They both agree you’re a complete idiot.

xblade on May 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Money

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I’m not sure, but they must have been in a parallel universe.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:07 PM

mo’ money

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

mo’ money

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Wow, there’s the proof of your superior intellect.

Laura in Maryland on May 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

That explains the posts where you talk to yourself.

kingsjester on May 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I’ve suspected for some time he is a plumper version of Jason Whitlock. Same MO.

a capella on May 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Remember the five “Virginia” men arrested in Pakistan last December?
It seems like we have a major problem right now with Pakistani nationals or those of Pakistani decent living amongst us who are radicalised and willing to cause mass murder here.
We better be checking out which Mosques Mr. Shahzad was attending and infiltrate them real fast because that is the link to overseas terrorists. We should also use harsh interrogation techniques on him since he didn’t come to America to share in our ideals, but instead to spread his and murder.

OxyCon on May 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

If any of this were true, you would likely have better things to do with your life than post here incessantly.

Chuck Schick on May 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

What do Holly Hobbie and Dolly Madison have in common?

The Race Card
They both agree you’re a complete idiot.

xblade on May 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for the laugh!

bopbottle on May 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Got to love the internet, everybody gets to be what they always wanted to be but were too stupid or lazy to actually accomplish.
You sir are an asshat.

dpierson on May 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM

The narrative has already begun. Poor little terrorist didn’t experience social justice. If only he had a little more of his neighbor’s money, he wouldn’t have been driven to terror by his poverty…

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Did HIG remember to bring along a lawyer for the accused?

GarandFan on May 4, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Heh, heh;
Two items:

Update: High-Value Interrogation Group handling Shahzad

This means it’s costing the taxpayer billions/trillions.
2. Pakistan will arrest eight, and train 46 jihadis.

Cybergeezer on May 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Chuck Schick on May 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Cornell – summer before senior year
AP Calc – senior year.

And I’m the slacker in the family.
***

Sorry that my life does not meet your low-expectations. But I worked very, very hard to get where I am and will continue to persevere and succeed.

I went to school back in the old days when one had to read their audio books and students actually visited libraries. I had no problem getting into my first-choice schools. But, with the competitive environment and this new breed of super-kid, I don’t know if I could hang with the youngsters now.

a capella on May 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Bwahahaha! Nice to know you have fantasies about fat black men. Sorry to disappoint, but I don’t meet your criteria.

Please, return to your virtual-rubdown.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

You said I should visit a Muslim country.
The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Please read again, Ivy League smarty:

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Clearly, I did not suggest you should visit a Muslim country.
I spoke hypothetically that if you did
It’s been my experience that when a person has to crow about how great they are (i.e. how smart they are), this usually indicates they are severely lacking in this area.
And good grades does not mean a person is smart.
And you silly jacka$$, lots of people take calculus & diffEQ & beyond. I have taken calculus, diffEQ,engineering physics courses, etc.
And your point with this example is…?
You never did say what the point you were making was by slamming that guy with your comment.
Since you are always coming off as an utter fool on this site, is it no wonder that I would assume this instance to be more of the same?
As said above, you are truly a 1st class a$$hat.
But you know, there are a lot of people in this world that aspire to such lows.
Look how easily your Ivy League education allowed you to descend to this level!
Way to go!

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Please, return to your virtual-rubdown.

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

There you go again, crowing about yourself & how great you are.
Now I only have a BS in geology, but I find it really interesting that you use your education to place yourself above others.
My experience with academics of any flavor is that there are basically 2 types: those that get educated so they may place themselves above others & those that go so that they can work in a field.
Whatever grades you received, however young you were when you went to college, whatever brilliant program you might have entered into, whatever high-falutin’ college you ended up at, will never make up for the fact that you are an egotistical troll turd.
The fact that you waste your high intellect here talking to the peasants about how smart you are is proof of the very lack of that intellect.
And no matter how many ‘clever’ little gaffs (in your own mind) that you shoot off here, we are all wise enough to see through your stupidity.
So when you act like a moron, talk like a moron, and basically live like a moron, then you must really be a moron.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM

2. Pakistan will arrest eight, and train 46 jihadis.

Cybergeezer on May 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I was pretty much thinking this exact thing earlier today.
Drop in the bucket.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Badger40 makes a great point. Before snarking off, allow me to commend him for being a hard-worker. No lie; I appreciate few things more. I’d bet a bank-bailout that he’s doing what he loves and doing a mighty fine job at it.

Despite my haughty groaning about scholarship and schooling, I would take hard-work over intellect every day of the week. As an employer, I’ve only ever had to fire one person in my life, and he was the brightest employee I had. The guy who would tell you that he wasn’t that bright, held steady for 15 years. Now, he owns the shop and is doing very well. I have a lifetime of anecdotes validating this personal credo.

Perhaps, you’ll note that I typically mention education only after somebody else tabled the topic. I don’t mince words, so my comments tend to be a little strong. There have been many times when I opted for the snark and sarc over plain language.

If you don’t want to get tangled in the web, then avoid it. Many, many, many Hotairheads try, some succeed, in knocking me back or down a peg. I enjoy it. Equally, I defend myself as needed. So, next time somebody who can’t spell “you’re” calls my work ethic and/or intellect into question I will be there for you in rare form.

I love a good fight. Surely you don’t expect me to under-defend myself, do you?

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I’m sorry you feel like a peasant. Now, tell me more about how I live Kreskin. How far from my house to the water?

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

The Race Card on May 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Never questioned your work ethic. You are the one who’s been beating your meat here about how smart you are to all of us. This is how elitists talk to peasant folk.
You clearly think you are somehow better than us here at HA.

Why does it matter that I made a silly typo?
That never happen to you when you’re typing fast?
You pick out the slightest things to nitpick people about. And you still never answered my question about why you slammed that guy in the 1st place, which is the only reason I responded to you with my ‘assumptions’.
Nothing you’ve said on this thread is anything but wind from a sphincter.
Why you can’t answer the question I asked in the 1st place speaks loads about you.

It’s extremely bizarre the way you swagger around here like you’re the wittiest guy on campus.
I don’t think you’ve noticed, but no one here is particularly interested in what you have to say bcs most of the time from what I’ve seen, it makes no sense.
You cling to superior intellect as proof that your words of wisdom ring true & that we are just plainly too un-educated or stupid to ‘get’ what you’re saying.
And when you do get knocked down a peg, everyone in the room knows it happened except for you.
I could care less if I spelled a word wrong on here.
I like good fights, but fights with people like you are akin to a dog on a tether running around a tree till they hang themselves.
If no one was in the room, you’d still be here talking to yourself.
And you still didn’t answer the question.
Epic waste of time.

Badger40 on May 4, 2010 at 10:25 PM

The High Value Interrogation Group sounds like something the jihadis would give each other praise for if their jihadist terrorist acts make them eligible for that level.

Maybe something that starts with a P?

journeyintothewhirlwind on May 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Er, the High Value Prisoner Interrogation Group (PIG)?

Where they’re treated with the High Value Prisoner Operational Response Kit (PORK) to get them to confess?

RD on May 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Wrong.

I know what I’ve accomplished and I know that hard work is exponentially more valuable than intellect. I don’t think I’m smart in relation to most Hotairheads. However, I have no reason to mince words with you or some other loudmouth who insults me or otherwise casts me as unintelligent. In typical but cowardly form you get all butthurt over jabs similar to those you’ve just thrown.

Ahem