MS-NBC anchor: I’m so bummed that Shahzad wasn’t a Tea Partier

posted at 1:36 pm on May 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Brian Maloney gives us this entry for the Someone Left the Irony On Department, in which Contessa Brewer tells Stephanie Miller that she’s really unhappy that she couldn’t use the Times Square bombing attempt to prove Tea Party “bigotry.”  Never mind that this clip shows the bigotry of Brewer in relation to conservatives — that all of the opponents of Barack Obama and the Democrats are somehow the equivalent of the Hutaree militia in Michigan.  Brewer really wanted a way to smear conservatives, and now she’ll just have to wait a little longer:

BREWER: I mean the thing is is that and I get frustrated and there was part of me that was hoping this was not going to be anybody with ties to any kind of Islamic country because there are a lot of people who want to use this terrorist intent to justify writing off people who believe in a certain way or come from certain countries or whose skin color is a certain way. I mean they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry.

That’s what they were planning to do and they were doing so from far different backgrounds then what this guy is coming from. So, the threat is not just coming from people who decide that America is the place to be and you know come here and want to become citizens. Obviously this guy did.

Yes, Contessa, there does seem to be a lot of people who want to “justify writing off people who believe in a certain way” as either terrorists or racists. Your network employs more than a few.

Newsbusters has more thoughts on Brewer’s unhappiness.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

thomasaur on May 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Yeah, because you really have to be protected for an implied accusation of pedophilia to be over the line.

MadisonConservative on May 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM

who cares…

winston on May 4, 2010 at 8:42 PM

MS-NBC anchor: I’m so bummed that Shahzad wasn’t a Tea Partier

Good God! What the hell is wrong with these people???!!!

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Apparently Teresa didn’t hear that the judge in Detroit in the Hutaree case told the prosecution that hate speech is still first amendment speech and is protected and they better have something more than that for their case. She let them out on bail.

flytier on May 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Pass the whiskey.

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Apparently Teresa Contessa didn’t hear that the judge in Detroit in the Hutaree case told the prosecution that hate speech is still first amendment speech and is protected and they better have something more than that for their case. She let them out on bail.

flytier on May 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM

flytier on May 4, 2010 at 8:48 PM

If she was banned it won’t be permanent.

jeanie on May 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Are you kidding me? Did you see what she posted? She needs to be banned forever from the internet for that garbage she spewed.

CannedTomatoes on May 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM

MadisonConservative on May 4, 2010 at 8:38 PM

You’re not are you?

thomasaur on May 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Pass the whiskey.

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM

That may have started the fire.

thomasaur on May 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Isn’t the Brewmeister on the same network with Norah and Kelly O’Donnell.

Three losers that really stand out on a network full of Ted Baxters.

jdflorida on May 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM

She works in such an isolated bubble of pure hate and propaganda that she doesn’t even realize how brainwashed she has become.

MSNBC has become an internal cult that is dangerously spiraling out of control.

redridinghood on May 4, 2010 at 9:06 PM

Isn’t the Brewmeister on the same network with Norah and Kelly O’Donnell.

Three losers that really stand out on a network full of Ted Baxters.

jdflorida on May 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Don’t forget Rachel Madcow and, of course, Chrissy Tingles….
If braincells were dynamite…..MSNBC couldn’t blow their nose….

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM

So let me get this straight–She’d much rather the opportunity to make political hay out of a near-tragedy?

Now for conservatives, it would have been a bad thing to get an idea fixed in your head, and of course it would be pathetic to then gripe about how your conclusions didn’t pan out.

I guess liberals are used to disagreeing with reality.

Axeman on May 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM

So, this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause. I hope the witch of MSNBC gets taken off the air when Comcast finally takes over.

dnlchisholm on May 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Ed, I listened to the clip, she didn’t say the headline point, that she wished it had been a Tea Partier. Sorry, but I have to say, I feel like you wasted my time.

Anil Petra on May 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Hoisted on her own beautiful petard (whatever a petard is)

Ordinary1 on May 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Only a liberal can add 2+2 and come up with 0.

disa on May 4, 2010 at 9:51 PM

CannedTomatoes on May 4, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Nice, Knuckle.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM

“I mean they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry.”

Is there an up-to-date bigotry? Apparently so.

flataffect on May 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Anil Petra on May 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM

You got what you paid for so what are you whining about?

jdkchem on May 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM

“I mean they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry.”

Is there an up-to-date bigotry? Apparently so.

flataffect on May 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Yeah, it’s just not right that this had to be connected to same kinds of groups these bombs have been connected to in the past. They should be connected to, well, people like conservatives and Christians, and well, those Tea Party people.
We all know how those people really are!

JellyToast on May 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM

dnlchisholm on May 4, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Ha!!! Like that will ever happen. Comcast is one of the biggest corporate welfare bottom feeders.

jdkchem on May 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Contessa Brewer is a disgrace!

MCGIRV on May 4, 2010 at 10:26 PM

What exactly is Contessa’s job? I mean, she seems barely literate.

SukieTawdry on May 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Ah good question; What exactly is her job? It would seem she’s just another wasted carbon talking head foot print but under those oh so bright lights she makes the others look valid :o

onomo on May 5, 2010 at 12:14 AM

And no she ain’t. Seen better faces on iodine bottles (to which she would probably reply, “asif”)

onomo on May 5, 2010 at 12:15 AM

they use it as justification for really outdated bigotry

I’m not a bigot. I just don’t want to see innocent Americans blown to pieces in Times Square. Does MSNBC?

TN Mom on May 5, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Isn’t it incredible how Muslims, working thru BHO, have concocted a Koolaid this effective?? These libs can’t stop guzzling.

leftnomore on May 5, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Brewer clearly possesses a low level of intelligence and a terribyl impaired ability to think and reason.

Her communication skills are weak to non exixtent, and terribly defective.

How many “fillers” did she drop in there during her diatribe? (“Uh … um … ah … er … “)

She cannot even speak fluid sentences. Her rhthym is so choppy and stunted that you’d think she has impaired communication skills. There is abstolutely no flow to her sentences, and they are poorly constructed. A third grade can do a far better job than she can.

Nevertheless, Brewer betrayed her bias, and hatred, and bigotry through her little spoiled princess, spoiled brat like rant, and her wish that the terrorist who was discovered were someone other than a Muslim (Such as a “Tea Partier” or would that be “Such as a Tea Bagger” as disrespectful, hate filled, left wing, racist thugs like to call it.”).

Brewer did not give Conservatives the same level of consideration or respect. She judges them out-of-hand without reason or justificaiton, but she wants to refrain from making assumptions about this Muslim Jihadi.

What a disgrace Brewer and the network she works for are!

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 4:17 AM

What exactly is Contessa’s job? I mean, she seems barely literate.

SukieTawdry on May 4, 2010 at 11:09 PM

It is to change to toilet paper rolls in the men’s and ladies rooms, or is it to wipe for the elitists who hired her?

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 4:18 AM

I just realized something, FOX News has geniuses in dresses on thir station, while MSNBC’s female broadcasters were just retrived from the sandbox after they took their meds and had electroshock therapy to help with there brain damage and lack of communication skills.

How is it that FOX news has brilliant women who don’t come off like MSNBC’s women who are nasty and rude and crude and illiterate and illogical and dumber than a box of rocks while they, the female “reporters” of MSNBC spew racism, bigotry, hatred, venom and other forms of hatred and nonsense?

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 4:24 AM

She is as hot as Megan Fox. And about equally as intellectually suited for political commentary, which isn’t saying a whole lot.

UltimateBob on May 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM

You wrote this hoping that The Onion will recognize your comedic talent and hire you, right?

If not, CB as hot and smart as MF? Seriously? If so, I guarantee you are one of the people who thinks Steffi Graf is the best-looking female tennis player ever, and that 0bamessiah is the smartest President we’ve ever had.

Bizarro No. 1 on May 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on May 5, 2010 at 7:50 AM

I apologize to you UltimateBob.

LOL I’m a genius – I saw you said Megan Fox, but it registered in my brain as Megyn Kelly. I didn’t notice my mistake until I reread the post. Once again, sorry! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 5, 2010 at 7:54 AM

Like Contessa, I’m disappointed he was a Muslim, too. I was hoping he was an illegal immigrant from Mexico.

/sarc

mwdiver on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 4:24 AM

Believe it or not, a few of them came over to Faux from CNN.

Del Dolemonte on May 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Well I saw this some where else, but its perfect
Moonbats
Spewing
Nothing
But
Crap

Pretty much sums them up.

They obviously have a biased, and those that refuse to admit it are just sheeple.

ColdWarrior57 on May 5, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I just listened to this again.

I need a HAZMAT crew to decontaminate me!

Contessa Brewere talks about people of a certain color or race or belief, yet she herself is engaged in such hatred and stereo typing herself.

Two-face racist!

What a dolt!

And she is a terrible speaker!

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 12:47 PM

/sarc

mwdiver on May 5, 2010 at 9:42 AM

That is very clever, and funny!

Of course the media, Obama, Democrat Politicians, Illegal Invader supporters, et al, ignore their violence, and there has been plenty of it, including rapes of US citizens, murder of US citizens, vandalism of US citizens’ propery, invading their homes, trashing their homes, trashing their property, ripping off the US taxpayer and stealing the goodies which are supposed to be for US citizens, not illegal invaders. Illegal Invaders have been busy killing police officers, killing Border Patrol personnel, kidnapping and torturing people, etc.

Let’s not forget the spread of diseases by Illegal Invaders who sneak in unscreened.

You got to love those Illegal Invaders and their enablers-supporters who betray their fellow US citizens, putting us all at risk, in order to help perpetrate more violations and abuse by Illegal Invaders.

William2006 on May 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I don’t know the woman so I defer to someone who does.

DON Imus didn’t like being called “a cantankerous old fool” by MSNBC’s Contessa Brewer on PAGE SIX. Brewer, a former news reader on Imus’ show, also said the I-man doesn’t know how to relate to “beautiful women.” “With that fat ass she’s got, she wouldn’t be one of ‘em,” Imus said on the air Friday. “That skank has to spend three hours with makeup in the morning … Who’s she kidding? . . . Plus, she’s dumber than dirt … Oh, my God, what a pig. But I was willing to cut her some slack and not say anything, you know, until – in fact, I didn’t say anything . . . That’s why they have those big double-doors there at MSNBC, you know, so they can get her fat ass in makeup.”

R Square on May 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Contessa, you ignorant slut.

Squiggy on May 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Contessa, you ignorant slut.

Squiggy on May 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Thread Closer… nothing more need be said.

Doorgunner on May 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Brewer’s comments are fu*king moronic.

Dave Rywall on May 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Shahzad’s the son of Pakastani’s Air Force Vice Marshall.

Being so immediately connected with the Pakistani military, the CIA and Shahzad would already have a relationship established.

It took Shahzad twice as long as usual to earn his computer science engineering and MA degrees. Yet no one ever “saw” or knew him from his alma mater?

I’m not biting let alone swallowing the Shahzad crock. As Shahzad’s influential family insists he had nothing to do with anything political one way or another, this scenario all fits the macro for CIA counter-espionage public propaganda campaign in order for DHS to get even more power. Already, Manhattan is being flooded with street cameras. Sure, security matters. But the only ones made secure by this administration are Marxists while conservative citizens remain actively and illegitimately and illegally targeted by Napolitano’s Obama DHS. All those nasty little loose threads regarding DHS/FBI NOT getting court orders before conducting intrusive surveillance on law abiding citizens are being revised into law, allowing the DHS to spy at will on anyone with or without cause. All the while, the public stupidly remains distracted by this ‘n that latest Obama amateurism meant to distract from the obvious.

How are those Christian Militia folk innocent of law breaking fairing with the Obama “Justice” Dept. since trial’s still set to go forward?

Of course make AG Holder’s prejudice against the white boys and preferential protection for both Ft. Hood’s Hassan and now the naturalized citizen engineer Shahzad who did the trial test run meant to not explode but to rile the public and distract from all of Obama’s Marxism.

Don’t silently allow propaganda distractions to influence public dumdums to beg for more Marxism, at least not prior to DEMANDING THAT GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES HAVE DONE AND ABSOLUTELY ACCOMPLISH THEIR JOB DESCRIPTIONS rather than the government employees’ standard refusal to uphold the Constitution, they and their union preferring the Marxist status quo. Every bit of new legislation relieves government employees that much more from conducting their work according to Constitutional requisites and their original written job description.

maverick muse on May 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

There are some things just too insignificant to pay heed to: Ant trails, a baked worm on a sidewalk, the hardened soap on the neck of shampoo bottle, Contessa Brewer…….

nico on May 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM

I’ve only read the first 200 comments or so….but has anyone pointed out she never actually said she’s bummed the bomber wasn’t a tea partier? She just said she’s upset that it’s a Muslim, because that reinforces stereotypes etc.

So the headline…

MS-NBC anchor: I’m so bummed that Shahzad wasn’t a Tea Partier

Is patently false.

crr6 on May 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM

So the headline…

Is patently false satire.

nico on May 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

nico on May 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM

It should read: “HA so bummed that Brewer never said she’s bummed the bomber wasn’t a tea-partier.”

crr6 on May 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM

crr6 on May 5, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Well, with all due respect, it should read whatever Ed Morrissey wants it to read because, otherwise, it wouldn’t be his headline.

nico on May 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I didn’t take it that way at all. All I heard her say was that she didn’t want it to be an islamic guy, because it sometimes plays into the stereotype and narrative that most guys from islamic countries are terrorists. Even reading between the lines, I see no way of conveying this as attacking the tea partiers. Unless she said something further that isn’t in this clip?

TheBlueSite on May 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I like how it takes until the 3rd page of comments for someone to point out that she didn’t in any way say:

I’m so bummed that Shahzad wasn’t a Tea Partier

which is, of course, the headline.

And of course, many people aren’t watching the video and actually think she said this, as you can see from the comments.

This isn’t even a read-between-the-lines thing. She isn’t saying, “I wished it was a *certain someone*, wink wink.” She’s specifically saying she was hoping it wouldn’t be a Muslim because she’s worried about reinforcing stereotypes.

If a conservative said, “I was hoping it wasn’t a Tea Party member,” would it make sense to interpret that as “I was hoping it was a Muslim” instead?

tneloms on May 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

TheBlueSite on May 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM

I’m so bummed that Shahzad wasn’t a Tea Partier

Oh so someone did point it out….after 300 comments or so. I only read through the first 2 pages.

Pretty pathetic.

crr6 on May 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM

tneloms on May 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Really? Not even the militia she cites?

“And so there was part of me was really hoping this would not be the case that here would be somebody who is not the defined. I mean he’s accused he’s arrested you know I don’t want to convict him before it’s time to do so. He’s the guy authorities say is involved. But that being said I mean we know even in recent history you have the Hutaree militia from Michigan who have plans to let’s face it create terror.”

nico on May 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Maybe Ed would be so kind to revise the headline so it’s not completely misleading/false.

Dave Rywall on May 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Talk about blatant hypocrisy.
She makes it clear she doesn’t want to condemn the Times Square bomber because he is only accused, then goes on in her next breath to condemn the militia group before they have been convicted.

JellyToast on May 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Really? Not even the militia she cites?

nico on May 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m pretty sure she’s saying that she wishes it wasn’t someone who can be “defined” or associated with a group, which would lead to judging the entire group. Her emphasis is clearly on who she *didn’t* want it to be, for a very clearly articulated reason.

When Rabin was assassinated, many people said their first reaction was to hope it wasn’t an Arab/Muslim because of the turmoil that would cause. Whether that’s correct or not, it’s a reasonable sentiment to express, and that’s what Brewer is saying here.

She’s making the point that terror sometimes come from other sources, and she cites the most recent such example. Turning that into “I wish it was a Tea Partier” is a big strech.

tneloms on May 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

The way I see it, she was just trying to equate muslim extremists with so-called militia extremists that are so dangerous they were just released on bail.

Another attempt by MessNBC to legitimize Islamic terror. Who owns the shares in that company? Seems obvious to me.

riverrat10k on May 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Wow. Clearly living in a bubble.

stuartm650 on May 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Dave Rywall on May 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Or perhaps Ed would be so kind to ban you from HIS blog or you could just be so kind and dissappear yourself.

Big John on May 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Is this Mensa indicative of most of the people at MSNBC? I don’t watch that channel and I’ll be extra sure to stay away now.

Metro on May 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Those in MSM are just Bigots and simply go out of the way to slam another person, group, or thing that they do not consider Mainstream. Our learless feeder President Obama tells everyone that words are just words, and being a man of color cannot make him a bigot.

Those on Left may want to reconsider the Presidents “words are just words” statement. Because his statement implies that they do not have to fully understand the meaning or full definition of the words they use. Therefore, I want to remind them exactly what the word Bigot means.

Having been a student of the late Dr. S.I. Hiyakawa in 1967 at S.F. State, studying Semantics and Ethics, he taught us to find the real origin of words, because the definition used will also impact ones innate Ethical behavior. Therefore, I wish to give you two definitions of the word ‘Bigot’ to understand what is really at the core of a person who labels others, but not themselves, a Bigot.

1. “A person who is obstinately and unreasonably attached to a particular creed, doctrine, opinion, etc. and intolerant of all others.” (Source: 1936; The New Century Dictionary, The Century Company, P.F Collier & Son Corp. N.Y.).

2. “A person who holds a prejudice against a racial or religious group.” (Source: 1980; Oxford American Dictionary, Harper Collins, N.Y.)

Based on these definitions the Left prefers the second definition because it focuses on race or religion without having to take personal responsibility. They are usually just part of the gang.

However, the first definition focus on personal views shaped by the persons inadequacies, threw the use of the words “obstinately and unreasonably attached and intolerant of all others views”. Meaning the person is usually a loner who just hates everyone.

MSGTAS on May 6, 2010 at 10:07 AM

She is a dope, a mindless liberal with a platform. Her comments were simply garbage.

FireBlogger on May 6, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Don’t y’all get it?

This lady is promoting “new moded” bigotry.

I left some details on the Nashville thread.

This lil’ dilly disgusts me as much as her precursers did when they belittled minorities and women before said groups could defend themselves.

IlikedAUH2O on May 6, 2010 at 2:40 PM

We just elected a somewhat black prez, for cryin’ out loud and all MSNBC and the rest do is hunt racists.

The whole bunch needs a lot of nuggies and fast.

IlikedAUH2O on May 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM