Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on May 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

“The Obama Administration clearly wants to send the signal that it’s keeping the pressure on BP to do everything humanly possible to stop the uncontrolled flow of oil in the Gulf of Mexico and to get the company to pick up the cost for cleaning up the mess and the economic losses to people in the gulf region.

“So the administration has embraced the violent imagery of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar who said administration officials would keep their ‘boot on the throat’ of the energy giant to make sure the company does all it can and more to address the problems caused by its uncontrolled ocean gusher.

“But those words sounded to some observers as though the administration was suggesting that the company was somehow dragging its heels. If the administration just wanted to indicate it was going to keep the pressure up on BP why not just say it that way?”

***
“If U.S. officials had followed up on a 1994 response plan for a major Gulf oil spill, it is possible that the spill could have been kept under control and far from land.

“The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand

“A single fire boom being towed by two boats can burn up to 1,800 barrels of oil an hour, Bohleber said. That translates to 75,000 gallons an hour, raising the possibility that the spill could have been contained at the accident scene 100 miles from shore.

“‘They said this was the tool of last resort. No, this is absolutely the asset of first use. Get in there and start burning oil before the spill gets out of hand,’ Bohleber said. ‘If they had six or seven of these systems in place when this happened and got out there and started burning, it would have significantly lessened the amount of oil that got loose.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face — forever. George Orwell, 1984

chimney sweep on May 4, 2010 at 12:35 AM

Typical white guy…prolly has a basement full of TEA party protest signs.

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Indubitably. Big Sis will start rounding up Tea Partiers for interrogation at first light.

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Say it ain’t so, Joe. I HATE McDone with a passion, but the thought of voting obama, well, I can’t even stomach it.

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 12:37 AM

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I actually gave money to McCain’s campaign in 2000. Even got some McCain buttons.

Do I know how to pick them or what.

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Typical white guy…prolly has a basement full of TEA party protest signs.

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:36 AM

My kids even enjoyed making their signs. I guess we are all going to get to go to camp this summer.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Wouldn’t you be privileged?

The author of the sequel to ‘The Gulag Archipelago’ is in our midst.

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM

“Person of interest” in Times Square bomb plot had just returned after spending 5 months in Pakistan.
- JihadWatch

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Everybody knows you don’t wear boots with Mom’s Jeans.

The loafer on the throat is more this regime’s style.

For the Loafer-In-Chief.

Too busy cutting it up with Jay leno to care about Southerners getting screwed by his Administration’s derelection of duty and catastophic inaction.

This is Obama’s Greasy Katrina.

profitsbeard on May 4, 2010 at 12:43 AM

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM

They got him

What is with travelling to Pakistan and wanting to kill Americans ?

macncheez on May 4, 2010 at 12:46 AM

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

You cells are waiting for you and your subversive kids. You will all get to view the wildlife which mainly consists of cockroaches and rats, which will also serve as your breakfast, lunch and dinner.

DasObamaReich on May 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM

This is Obama’s Greasy Katrina.

profitsbeard on May 4, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Allahpundit can start calling Obama, Greasy instead of Champ.

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM

- JihadWatch

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:42 AM

I’m sure he was just hiking and biking while he was over there.

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Caption contest?

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM

My husband worked offshore until November of last year. He took a job on land because he was worried about a catastrophic failure so far from shore. The Obama administration allowed this to get so much worse, in my opinion, to strengthen their position on offshore drilling.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Offshore work while it pays well is one of the hardest jobs and most dangerous jobs. I am glad your hubby is back on land. I lost one of my best friends to offshore accident.

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I’ll have the Hope and Change special.

Will that be greasy or extra greasy?

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM

DasObamaReich on May 4, 2010 at 12:47 AM

A couple hours with my kids, Obama would be crying.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Nissan bomber caught at JFK!

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Only problem is the land job was in North Dakota. So here we are!

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Sorry about your friend. Just the helicopter rides to and from the platforms was enough to freak me out. Land is much better.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Nissan bomber caught at JFK!

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM

This is a great miscarriage of justice! They have just arrested one of my Muslim brothers. He is completely innocent! The Jews have framed him!

Aleph on May 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

A couple hours with my kids, Obama would be crying.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Tell me about it. I had to learn the hard way myself. They are a mean bunch.

Tuco on May 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM

Only problem is the land job was in North Dakota. So here we are!

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM

I know you miss Texas but not having to worry about Helicopter flights or boat rides is a relief. Where is Omaha Con been lately?

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Aleph on May 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

The Jews may have framed him, but the Americans will strap him to a board and pour water on his rag stuffed face.

Inanemergencydial on May 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Not sure what happened to him. I always enjoyed his postings.

Tuco on May 4, 2010 at 1:05 AM

You did well, a lesser man would have caved.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Aleph on May 4, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Ahh, Aleph…have another goat…it will be okay…

HornetSting on May 4, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Good thing we can’t say “Muslim” or “Islam” or “jihadi” or “Mohammedan terrorist” in our government anymore.

It forces our officials to be so much more creative…

Put an ordinary Islamophobic word into the New Obama Universal Terrorism Man-Caused Disaster Translator and voila!:

Shaheed becomes Shazaam!

Mujihadeen turns into Disgruntled brown person with a grievance against decades of arrogant American Imperialism.

Faisal Shahzad becomes Teabagging Arizona Racist.

(Dang this device is good!)

profitsbeard on May 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Look out Faisal, here comes the comfy chair!

“No, no I was not trying to leave the country. I went to JFK to visit Budget Rent A Goat, as I needed a date for the coming weekend.”

GnuBreed on May 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Reading between the lines of what was said in D.C. today, our rulers fully intend to drain every last cent from BP, Take their last drop of oil and blood, and sell their bones to a glue factory before they are done.

LegendHasIt on May 4, 2010 at 1:48 AM

But but but… violent talk is bad and might actually promote violence from people on the fringe.. Obama told me so.

He couldn’t then turn around and start talking violent and stuff, that would be completely idiotic. Oh wait, Obama.. nevermind.

I was thinking somebody more logically consistent than Obama/Biden… like the crazy guy on the bus talking to himself.

gekkobear on May 4, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Guess this is one kind of “manmade disaster” that isn’t ideologically acceptable.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 4, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Fascists? What Fascists? Why, you all must be delusional, or believing the spoon-fed lunacy being served oh-so-politely from the besotted captains of American industry and American exceptionalism given free reign.

hillbillyjim on May 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Why do I suspect there will be many political cartoons featuring Obama and his henchmen with boots on the throats of most everyone they have attacked.

Seems like images these could also fit nicely in campaign adds with the expert comments of gibbs and salazar playing.

Freddy on May 4, 2010 at 3:48 AM

Will they return the donations?

rob verdi on May 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Huh. More FAIL what do you know?

ronsfi on May 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:40 AM

everytime you walk into a movie theater anymore you are going to camp

unseen on May 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Only problem is the land job was in North Dakota. So here we are!

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Take heart, the wind never blows in North Dakota. ;-)

Yoop on May 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM

was does Obama hate sea otters?

unseen on May 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM

I remember traveling down the 101 to Grandma’s house past Santa Barbara in ’69 during the last oil spill. Being the naive little kid that I was I asked my dad why, since oil floats on water, they didn’t just suck up the oil onto a ship and separate the water from the oil and store the oil in on board tanks?

Sometimes it’s good to be a naive little kid.

BDU-33 on May 4, 2010 at 7:13 AM

huh
what’s chrissy gonna say now that the suspect IS NOT a white male anti-gov’t right winger….

what a foolish, foolish tool

cmsinaz on May 4, 2010 at 7:24 AM

huh

what a foolish, foolish tool

cmsinaz on May 4, 2010 at 7:24 AM

cmsinaz:Well,this could of been worse,with Obama’s stance on
illegals and Hopey’s non-enforced border policy,that
Jihady could of made a run for the Mexican Border!:)

canopfor on May 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

canopfor on May 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

good point :)

cmsinaz on May 4, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Take heart, the wind never blows in North Dakota. ;-)

Yoop on May 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Ha!! No, seriously….does it ever stop?!! I am just glad the snow melted.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Ha!! No, seriously….does it ever stop?!! I am just glad the snow melted.

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM

The wind isn’t blowing in North Dakota it’s just that Minnesota sucks so bad that there is constant air movement in that direction. Just a layman’s theory.

thomasaur on May 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

“The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand…

Good work. Helluva job, Barry.

petefrt on May 4, 2010 at 8:24 AM

MB4 on May 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM

For future reference it’s Harry Houdini.

But great poem!

fossten on May 4, 2010 at 8:25 AM

TXMomof3 on May 4, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I think you’re right; This shows how powerful Obama really is; If he would have applied his mythical powers to the situation on the first day, look how much smaller the spill would have been!
But by not using his ‘magic’, it has become an example, to use by our lord and master and all his disciples, to show how evil these oil companies really are.

Cybergeezer on May 4, 2010 at 8:27 AM

thomasaur on May 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM

There’s a similar phenomenon in Texas; All the trees point north because Oklahoma sucks.

Cybergeezer on May 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM

“The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand…

…in liberal land…this and the Obama administration not showing up over a week late to “take action” is what liberals consider “the system worked”….

You would think liberals would be happier people being so detached from reality all the time…..ignorance is bliss.

Baxter Greene on May 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM

One would think they would keep a supply of those fire tubes in N.O. or vicinity for just such a purpose. Even if they are in Texas, it’s close enough by boat to be there in a day. We also have a ship named the Bold which is used for underwater surveys sitting in Miami, which could be helpful with the underwater repairs. A worker from the rig was on Levin yesterday and explained what happened to stop the conspiracy theories from exploding. Basically mother nature had more gas pressure than the safety systems could handle. The gas settled on the deck and static electricity caused the explosion.

Kissmygrits on May 4, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Watching the press conference yesterday, I was amazed that the White House thought Americans would like the use of “Boot on the throat” of a corporation–one that hires a huge number of Americans–but they are so anti any free enterprise, that makes sense.

While I like Obama getting hammered about not reacting soon enough, the government isn’t going to be much help and will get in the way more than anything. Already, the MMS has suspended all new exploratory drilling. Well, since they were running liner on a completed well (one of the few times the Blow Out Preventer is open), that won’t keep this sort of thing from happening again, but looks like they are on top of things.

TwilightAuthor on May 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM

The problem: The federal government did not have a single fire boom on hand.

That’s the smoking gun. It’s Obama’s Katrina !

Beck sounds like he’s getting ready to jump on this with both feet keep his boot on Obama’s neck.

petefrt on May 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM

What better image of a “Nazi” regime than admitting that the administration will keep their boot on the throat of a company/group/person who they do not agree with. In their own words.

jerseyman on May 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I will give Gibbs (and the WH credit) that the source of the spill needed to be addressed first. Why can’t they have the same view on illegal immigration? We need to secure the leak first, then deal with the “sludge”.

djaymick on May 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM