Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on May 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

By popular demand, I’m including this off-the-cuff remark in the OOTD canon, especially since a few commenters expressed disappointment that it didn’t get included in yesterday’s poll. Besides, this one’s pretty rich — and one can never be too rich, regardless of what some people say:

We’re not, we’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy.

Last week, I focused on the off-the-cuff nature of the remark and its revelatory nature. It also demonstrates a rather constricted view of economics. It’s zero-sum thinking, where one person’s success necessarily comes at the expense of another. A free market creates wealth through innovative use of resources and the efficiency of competition. While there are winners and losers in a free market, those who fail can learn from their errors and succeed later.

In fact, in a free market, the only entity that can get too rich is the government that is supposed to regulate it as a disinterested referee — and that’s the one that Barack Obama’s agenda seems to favor the most.

Comments

TOTUS to POTUS: “I do think at a certain point you’ve said enough words.”

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Wonder how many Democrat millions just went offshore?

TimBuk3 on May 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM

Did Oprah get this memo?

becki51758 on May 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

We’re not, we’re not trying

I’m noticing this Jimmy-Two-Times tick more and more.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

And if you like your insurance you can keep it too.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM

I don’t really believe this was a slip-up. He knew exactly what sort of response it would elicit, both from his followers and detractors. He’ll get everyone talking about this while he’s giving away all of our nuclear secrets to our enemies. . . or some other fresh Hell he’s devising.

He doesn’t care what he says. He doesn’t care if we can prove him disingenuous. He doesn’t care what anyone thinks.

As far as I can tell, only the Governors of Arizona and New Jersey know what it feels like to have cojones like that. May their numbers increase.

Joan of Argghh on May 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM

those who fail can learn from their errors and succeed later.

i think that is the problem, i don’t think anybody has let dear leader fail in anything…he’s only realizing failure since taking the presidency, he doesn’t get his way all the time…

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:14 AM

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

excellent

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Every time I run into one of my Dem friends, particularly the ones which own businesses, I’m going to ask them if they’ve made enough money yet.
I’m also going to ask them why they think they need it more than President Toonces does, and why they hate poor people.

VelvetElvis on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Why is regulation and censorship of the Internet given to the FTC in this Obama-commie bill — Too big to read ehhh…

tarpon on May 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I wonder when Wonder Boy Timmy will announce the new “maximum earning limits”, I’m sure it will be more than 5 million ’cause that’s how much the O took home last year.

JimK on May 3, 2010 at 8:17 AM

If the economy was a zero-sum enterprise, then there would be no wealth creation. If there is no wealth creation, then our parents’ generation must have been individually wealthier than we are. And their parents’ generation would be wealthier still; and their parents wealthier still. And so on and so on, back to Adam and Eve, I guess. Every new generation is poorer than the previous one, because population increases and wealth doesn’t.

This concept truly does underlie the Statist model of thinking. and it is so false on the face of it.

ss396 on May 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM

How rich will Obama get via the Chicago Climate Exchange?

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:18 AM

“maximum earning limits”

Don’t give them any ideas. Look what kind of complicated disaster the AMT has become without it being pegged to inflation.

Johnnyreb on May 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM

With all the money that the medial moguls are making…let’s see Obama take them on…
Let’s see Obama bemoan the fact that Oprah makes hundreds of millions a year, that athletes make tens of millions per year…

right2bright on May 3, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Did Oprah get this memo?

becki51758 on May 3, 2010 at 8:11 AM

There’s a special exception to the rule for people like Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby, Michael Jordan, Franklin Raines, Shaquille O’Neal, Tiger Woods, etc.

And of course, the rule does not apply to Barry himself, whose two, multi-million-dollar “products” consist of a fictionalized “autobiography” and a collection of boring stump speeches, both of which appear to have been authored primarily by somebody else.

AZCoyote on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

liar!

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

excellent

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

TY. That really means a lot, espcially after I severely jammed my foot into my mouth last week.

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

…President Toonces does, and why they hate poor people.VelvetElvis on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Dude, you made me literally LOL. My brother had a found cat during college he called Toonces.

bikermailman on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I do think at a certain point you’ve done enough damage, you worthless POS.

TXUS on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

VelvetElvis on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Ask them if Gore has made enough money…

Al Gore could become world’s first carbon billionaire

right2bright on May 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM

TOTUS to POTUS: “I do think at a certain point you’ve said enough words.”

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Amen! So much more than enough that I cannot listen to him anymore! Of course, every other sentence from our Liar in Chief is deceitful unless he’s speaking to the SEIU.

Christian Conservative on May 3, 2010 at 8:23 AM

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

no worries

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I mean, we do think at a certain point you’ve made enough government. But, you know, part of the Marxist way is, you know, you can just keep on making government if you’re providing crappy leadership or providing horrible service.
Change.

ted c on May 3, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Obama knows this economy isn’t a zero-sum deal. He really doesn’t care who catches him at his game. I don’t know if he thinks it won’t matter (it hasn’t yet) or if he truly believes that his will is our destiny. Sick? Evil? Both?

SKYFOX on May 3, 2010 at 8:25 AM

This is the quintessential liberal living in lala land. I would personally say Bill Gates has enough money, but I wouldn’t, because a man is free to make as much as he wants…and what does Bill Gates do with all that money? He gives, what I would assume are hundreds of millions, away to charity.

That’s just it. A person might have enough money in your opinion, but people with tons of money almost always spend it on charitable endeavors, hiring more workers, building more plants, spending their own money on research their passionate about, etc.

Obama doesn’t get this apparently. Besides, I personally think no 33 yr old man should have enough chutzpah to ever write his own autobiography, especially when he’s not done much with this life to that point. And I think the millions he made off that book and the other are “enough.”

TheBlueSite on May 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM

skyfox: i agree that Obama doesn’t care who catches on that he wants to kill our nation. what he does care about is when someone (Glenn Beck, for example) raises enough hell about someone, like Van Jones, that the media storm is such that Obama can’t destroy us at his preferred speed.

kelley in virginia on May 3, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Welp, I’m off to commit some capitalism. I’ll be sure to serpentine – keep my head down too.

forest on May 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM

George Soros must have missed the memo as well.

txag92 on May 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM

So the old cliche “You can’t be too rich or too thin” is only half right under the Obama administration?

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM

But this is a democracy so the government is us, right? So we should be thanking him./

Dee2008 on May 3, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Michelle’s backside does not hold with the second half of this adage either.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

forest on May 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM

LOL!!! “Serpentine, serpentine!”

ladyingray on May 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM

A new one is “too poor to be thin”. I always shake my head in amazement when I hear liberals bust that one out to explain high obesity rates among lower income folks.

forest on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

liar!

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Oh, he isn’t lying. It’s just that his definition of “fairly” differs greatly from yours and mine. It’s like when a Muslim says it is sacrilegious to kill innocent people. The whole thing hinges on the definition of “innocent.”

What I want to hear (if for nothing else but the comedy gold) is Øbama’s definition of “fair.”

Kafir on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Because, of course, the sole reason for earning money is to fulfill your responsibility to the financial system.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Under Marxism, the Politboro has all the money anyway. That’s what he’s aiming for, Komrades.

kingsjester on May 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM

bikermailman on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Toonces? You mean the cat that learned to drive? Pretty apt that.

Dee2008 on May 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

kingsjester on May 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM

And at that point he’s going to decide when you’ve had enough toilet paper.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Toonces? You mean the cat that learned to drive? Pretty apt that.

Dee2008 on May 3, 2010 at 8:39 AM

If I recall, it didn’t drive any better than Obama’s daddy.

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM

LOL!!! “Serpentine, serpentine!”

ladyingray on May 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

My all time favorite movie!

katy the mean old lady on May 3, 2010 at 8:43 AM

At what point has enough money been made, according to PBHO? I’d like to know, just to make sure that all the demorat politicians who have exceeded that level are properly tried, convicted of the crime of “excess earnings” and incarcerated.

Bishop on May 3, 2010 at 8:44 AM

I’d like to know how he plans on enforcing this idea; Is he going to have the IRS impose a 100% tax on every thing you report?
This blithering idiot intends to turn the United States economy into a third (or fourth) world economy, doesn’t he?
What a total recalcitrant juvenile!

Cybergeezer on May 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM

kingsjester on May 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM

It follows then that, because the government prints all the money, the government owns all the money. Then all the money must, ultimately, return to the government and the government is the only rightful determiner of who gets temporary use of their money.

SKYFOX on May 3, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Kafir on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

EXACTLY! It’s a regime that wants to govern by technicalities, parsing language so as to give the appearance of intelligence and transparency.
It should be interesting to see if Øbummer can top this by Friday evening.

ExpressoBold on May 3, 2010 at 8:54 AM

LOL!!! “Serpentine, serpentine!”

ladyingray on May 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

My all time favorite movie!

katy the mean old lady on May 3, 2010

The one with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin? That was great.

SKYFOX on May 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Kafir on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

point taken

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Ed, from what I gather you’re a limited government, individual rights guy yet you concede that gov’t is supposed to regulate the “free” market? It’s not free if its coerced and regulations by the gov’t is coercion. And, relying on the qualifier “disinterested referee” boils down to the same lament as the egalitarian, the socialist, and/or the communist that say “if we only had the right people in gov’t…”.

Gov’t regulation of the free market is a complete contradiction and to the extent that it is found in the constitution then it should be ammended (the founders were amazing but even the greatest of men can make misakes).

beselfish on May 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM

You folks need to explore the realm of possibility.

A conservative administration can direct the 20,000 new IRS auditors who were just created can to examine the corrupt underbelly of Left-wing non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations.

Can you imagine the layers of caked on crap we can scrape away from the belly of the Left with 20,000 IRS agents?

Thanks lefties!

jeff_from_mpls on May 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

He’s even failing at that. There are too many unemployed. Apparently he doesn’t see the need to get them back to work so they can pay taxes. Makes no difference to him if he prints the money or “borrows” it. It’s a lot easier for him because he is one lazy @ss. Why bother to rack your brain on something that will actually work when it is easier to to be “cool”.

BetseyRoss on May 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:20 AM

The inter tubes have memory but we fellow commenters are a forgetful bunch, unless you start talkin’ ’bout our mama.

thomasaur on May 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Oprah has made enough money. Make her stop. /s

scalleywag on May 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Thanks lefties!

jeff_from_mpls on May 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM

much better use of their time indeed

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

VelvetElvis on May 3, 2010 at 8:15 AM

That’s a good idea. I have a former neighbor (moved out because he wanted an even more ostentatious house than he had in our neighborhood) who is loaded and still runs around with Obama stickers on his Lexus hybrid while spending $250,000 to renovate his house, build a three-car garage, build a recording studio for his 16-year-old son, and buy him a BMW. Next time I see him I am going to ask him if he has made enough money and if he will now share some of his with me as our President wants him to.

rockmom on May 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

TOTUS to POTUS: “I do think at a certain point you’ve said enough words.”

apostic on May 3, 2010 at 8:07 AM

Word.

ncborn on May 3, 2010 at 9:21 AM

The one with Peter Falk and Alan Arkin? That was great.

SKYFOX on May 3, 2010 at 8:57 AM

The re-make sucked. I watch the real one evry time I’m in a p@ssy mood Still cracks me up.

katy the mean old lady on May 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

If the gov’t should be regulating the free market then your complaint on OOQD is the contradiction. beselfish on May 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Government does have a role to play. The question is one of how big a role. Big government is always a fail.

Mojave Mark on May 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Ed, many times in the free market the biggest winner isn’t the only winner, in terms of profit and earnings. You may not have the biggest pizzeria chain in town, but you can still be making money, and your employees still have jobs, your suppliers still make sales, and your customers still get pizza. For every pizzeria start up that fails, or gets run out of business by the competition, how many succeed, or continue to compete?

As you correctly point out, Obama (and many of his socialist ilk) think in zero-sum game terms. That type of unwitting detachment from reality is common among those whose thinking is not troubled by rational analysis of facts but is inspired instead by emotional responses to situations. Typically, those who engage in this type of response are oblivious to the psychological underpinnings of their refusal to engage reality.

novaculus on May 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Mojave Mark on May 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

You say gov’t has a role to play in regulating free market? How much regulation is too much, who get’s to decide and by what standard?

beselfish on May 3, 2010 at 9:49 AM

novaculus on May 3, 2010 at 9:48 AM

I like to think of the free market as a card game in that the more players you have the better the hands are dealt across the board and throughout the game.

beselfish on May 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. TO EACH ACCORDING TO HIS NEEDS But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or providing good service. FROM EACH ACCORDING TO HIS ABILITY
Karl Marx

What more needs to be said that he did not say?

Franklyn on May 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Disturb the Universe on May 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

As a woman I won’t reply to that on the chance someone knows me and pot/kettle is invoked.

forest on May 3, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Once they make cable/internet/phone a civil right they will have more money to put towards fresh fruits and veggies.

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I guess this just proves that even a psychopathic liar is occasionally truthful if he talks enough. The level of pathology with this pontificating phony would be for a psychiatric professional to determine, but I’m guessing that “community organizing” may be a recent entry in the head docs’ field manual.

ontherocks on May 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Nah. Gov’t workers, politicians, amd members of the SEIU will be exempt. The rest of us – well when we make 100k we’ll have made “enough” – and tough noogies from Giggles to the rest of us.

crazy_legs on May 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Why do democrats hate a prosperous middle class?

Inanemergencydial on May 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM

It’s zero-sum thinking

Exactly.

John the Libertarian on May 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM

When Mr. Utopia goes on the speakers’ beat, after he no longer makes our country upside down, I declare $500,000/yr. for him and Meeechell to be enough.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2010 at 11:25 AM

“Not a dime. Not. One. Dime.”

mrt721 on May 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Obama stars in….

The 5 Million Dollar Man

Soon coming to a lame stream media station. Programming will be 24/7/365.

csdeven on May 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM

One of their problems is losing track of what they have said. In this case it was his actually talking instead of reading his script. The true voice of Obama unleashed!

Franklyn on May 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM