Your Energy Needs Are For the Birds

posted at 6:00 pm on May 2, 2010 by Jazz Shaw

It’s Sunday morning, and I just finished watching the round table discussion portion of This Week on ABC. We were blessed today with a few special guests filling out the panel, including Bill Maher. The man seemed unable to open his mouth without causing my jaw to head for the floor in synchronized response. Apart from the subject of this column, I could probably have spent a while dissecting these gems:

“Conservatives are opposed to big government intervention… unless it’s against people who aren’t white.”

and…

“I’m not saying all Republicans are racists. That would be wrong. But these days, if you’re a racist, you’re probably a Republican.”

But I digress. That’s really not why I’m here today. No, Bill caught my attention more when he began attacking the oil industry in response to the recent spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Among his many complaints was the effect the spill will have on wildlife, particularly the birds. It’s a legitimate cause for concern, of course. I love animals – even the ones I don’t eat – and nobody but a sadist wants to see them suffer or die needlessly. During the Exxon Valdez spill in 1989, it’s estimated that somewhere between 40,000 and 250,000 birds died.

That’s a lot of birds.

Or is it? Bill talked lovingly, once again, about how we need to do away with oil production entirely, much as he did when he criticized President Obama over his sorry position on off shore drilling. (Prompting Stacy McCain to wonder how he speaks with a foot that size in his mouth.) The solution in Bill Maher’s world, of course, is more renewable energy, like wind power! Fortunately, George Will was on the panel to point out the incredible number of birds killed by wind farms each year.

For those keeping score, one windfarm alone in Altamont Pass, California, has been chopping up tens of thousands of birds annually since it went online, including a number of seriously endangered raptor species. Clearly these wind farms must be eliminated, if only for the sake of the birds.

But we can’t stop there. Even those who say that wind farms don’t really put a dent in the bird population point out that domestic cats kill as many as “hundreds of millions of birds” every year. That’s why, beginning this week, Bill Maher and I will be kicking off a grassroots movement pushing Congress to introduce the American Defelinization Act of 2010. These cats must be found and eliminated. And don’t start crying to me now, cat lovers. (I have three cats myself.) It’s for the good of the birds.

Sadly, that’s not going to solve the problem either. A 2006 report from NPR estimates that glass windows in buildings – particularly high rise skyscrapers – kill as many as one billion birds per year, which accounts for roughly 5% of the total bird population. That number sounds a bit high to me, but even if the real total is only ten percent of that, we’re losing 100 million birds annually to glass panes. We must move immediately to eliminate glass windows from all buildings. Of course, that’s going to make the offices quite a bit harder to heat in the winter, so we’re probably going to be needing more … ummmm… oil….

We don’t want to see oil spills, either from drilling or shipping, so we constantly work to improve the technology and reduce the risks. And we will no doubt learn from this sad event and continue to improve safety precautions and procedures. But we don’t throw the baby bird out with the bath water, either. Let’s see… Exxon Valdez was in 1989. This spill is in 2010. If oil exploration, production and shipping continues with major accidents at that rate, it could cost us roughly a half a million birds every twenty years. How many will wind farms, windows and cats rack up in that time?

The sad fact is that birds and technology don’t mix very well. That doesn’t mean that we turn our backs on technology and return to cave dwelling. And let’s face it here… you birds really only have yourselves to blame. I mean, if you had evolved bigger brains and better technology a bit faster you would, by now, have had all of us humans rounded up in pens, living on slop, ready to have our eyes pecked out whenever you felt like a bit of a nosh.

Every race has one winner and a whole bunch of losers. Sorry to say, birds, but we came in first.

Complaints about this column and suggested death threats for the author may be forwarded to PETA, Earth Liberation Front, or the DNC. Thank you for your attention.

UPDATE: Hot Air reader GaryVB e-mails to correct me on Bill Maher’s contributions to society.

Unlike you, Mr. Shaw, Bill Maher is actually getting involved and putting his own money on the line. Just this week he is proposing to ship tons of bales of maarijuana seized by the DEA to the coast to be burned. The well known pain killing properites of the smoke will ease the discomfort of the birds during their final hours nad may even save a few who would have dies of stress. In fact, Maher will pay to keep shipping pot down there until he is sure he has left no tern unstoned.

Gary, I’ll admit I laughed, but that was a long road to walk to get to that punchline.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Speaking of energy global warming struck where I live in N. Eastern Arizona. We received about 1/2 – 1 inch of snow this morning and it is snowing again. The clouds moving in look ominous.

chemman on May 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Like not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim?

CynicalOptimist on May 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Unless you’re a Democrat who hates white men…..

CynicalOptimist on May 2, 2010 at 6:11 PM

One very obvious flaw in Maher’s argument is that even if Wind Power produced alot of usable energy (they don’t) it would not reduce our dependence on oil by one quart. Wind is mainly a more expensive, less reliable substitute for Coal and NG which we have in ample supply. Very little electrical power is generated using oil. Oil is mainly used in transportation and industry.

echosyst on May 2, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Does anyone take Maher seriously? Ever since he called the 9/11 terrorists “brave” I lost any shred of respect for the dude.

…no tern unstoned.

*facepalm*

And I’ll be using that one tomorrow ;)

JetBoy on May 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I’m not saying all Democrats are racists. That would be wrong. But these days, if you’re a racist, you’re probably a Democrat – who else voted for Obama because of his skin color?

It certainly couldn’t be for the content of his character – he doesn’t have any.

Chip on May 2, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Bill Maher may look like an idiot. Bill Maher may sound like an idiot. But don’t let that fool you … … he really is an idiot. Bill Maher has the brain of a two year old and I’ll bet the two year old was very glad to be rid of it.
- Groucho

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM

domestic cats kill as many as “hundreds of millions of birds” every year.

Our cats refer to us filling the bird feeders as “baiting the traps.”

TugboatPhil on May 2, 2010 at 6:21 PM

A battery powered car in every garage and a nuclear power plant in every county!

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:23 PM

OMG – Jazz Shaw, the RINOs’ RINO, on Hot Air. Who’s next Bill Ayers?

And there are those who think this site is going to hell.

bw222 on May 2, 2010 at 6:23 PM

“That doesn’t mean that we turn our backs on technology and return to cave dwelling.”

Then how do you explain the very existence of Bill Maher…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Wnen I’m lookin’ for some stinkin’ putrid flatulence, I wait for Bill Maher to open his mouth.

PEEEEWWWWWW!!!

bannedbyhuffpo on May 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM

You know, I really need to get back on the stick, and do my part to help thin out that bird population; me and my Remington 870 can help keep that pesky quail in line.

Seriously, though, I recall from the Conservation Department Hunter Safety course I have taken a couple of times concerning coveys of quail in the midwest, that during the summer, the covey will number approximately 20-30 birds. If they are hunted during the winter months, that covey will be 5-7 come spring. And if they are NOT hunted, that same covey will be 5-7 birds come spring.

Of course, that was before windmills were chopping them into birdburgers, so not sure how that affects the numbers.

JamesLee on May 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM

domestic cats kill as many as “hundreds of millions of birds” every year.

Like Al Gore’s Apocalyptic Global Warming, that is an hysterical lie.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM

*chortle* The party of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws, Poll taxes, LA RAZA, the congressional black caucus, and the black holocaust of abortion gets a pass on racism. Maher clearly didn’t send ALL his pot to the East coast.

Mojave Mark on May 2, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Is this some kind of sick joke?

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Allahpundits hardest hit.

This is why I invest in safe, ecologically responsible dogs. Squirrels have been known to cause “accidents” that are really terrorism, my dogs keep a watch on the backyard squirrels.

rbj on May 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Then how do you explain the very existence of Bill Maher…?

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Darwin says Bill Maher is the result of unintelligent design.God says Bill Maher is the result of devolution.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

How about Maher’s assertion that “Brazil got off oil” in the last couple of years. When challenged by Will, he was certain he read it somewhere, so it must be true.

Actually Brazil is the Number 7 oil consuming nation.

Why in the world would ABC have such an uninformed person on This Week. David Brinkley must be totally forgotten over there.

SlaveDog on May 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Is this some kind of sick joke?

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:32 PM

tru2tx on May 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

One of the many articles discussing why wind power is far from the savior the left claims it is. I’m all for having wind power as a percentage of our overall grid, but pretending it can be a primary source is stupid.

There is a great article floating around about energy density, and how you would literally need to cover a majority of the country in turbines to power it, but I’m having trouble locating it right now.

BadgerHawk on May 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Wind power kills birds so where are the pictures of dead endangered birds.

PrezHussein on May 2, 2010 at 6:42 PM

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

And CW says Maher is a blithering fool and useful idiot.

CWforFreedom on May 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Here we go. Highly recommend reading this one if you have time.

BadgerHawk on May 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I care not much for a man’s religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
- Abraham Lincoln

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Too bad we can feed Maher thru a windmill.

GarandFan on May 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

tru2tx on May 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

When it has to do with Bill Maher it can be hard to tell.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Maher: when slime meets birdbrain.

profitsbeard on May 2, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Great piece, thanks – and thanks for sharing reader gary’s pun. It actually didn’t take all that long to get to the punchline, it was just that the typos slowed it down a bit.

Buy Danish on May 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I have to assume a “tern” is some kind of bird. Either way, that is one hell of a punchline…!

ted c on May 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM

London: Billionaire investor George Soros bought an $811 million stake in Petroleo Brasileiro (Petrobras) in the second quarter, making the Brazilian state-controlled oil company his investment fund’s largest holding.

As of June 30, the stake in Petrobras, as the Rio de Janeiro-based oil producer is known, made up 22 per cent of the $3.68 billion of stocks and American depositary receipts held by Soros Fund Management, according to a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

… and to top it off …

President Barack Obamas national security adviser, Gen. James Jones, discussed the matter with officials this week during a visit to the South American country, Brazilian Planning Minister Paulo Bernardo da Silva told reporters.

He said the U.S. Export-Import Bank already has signed a letter of intent in that regard with Brazilian state oil company Petrobras.

J_Crater on May 2, 2010 at 6:51 PM

These cats must be found and eliminated.

Agree.
Cats are killers.

And we aren`t just talking about the millions of cats that live in people’s homes and go out daily and kill. There are many, many many (hundreds of thousands, millions) cats – who aren’t living in someone
s house that are living wild in nature killing multiple times every day.

If dogs have to be on a leash, so should cats.
If a dog killed a neighbor’s chicken or duck, the dog would be put to sleep.
My neighbor was saying to me “Every day my darn old cat brings home another bird she killed, what should I do?”
“Kill the cat” was my reply and then she slammed the door on me.

albill on May 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM

BadgerHawk on May 2, 2010 at 6:41 PM

that’s the crux of it right there. I talked to a gal on a flight once who bought and sold electricity. I asked her about the wind farms thing and she said, wind farms brief well–they sound great, but what do you do when it ain’t windy? Not until we can store electricity, will wind farms be helpful. Also, what happens when demand exceeds output? You have to buy electricity from somewhere else–ie, coal! The arguments for wind power, and green energy, in general, are usually pretty shallow and taken apart pretty easily. I’m not saying that there shouldn’t be work done in the field, I’m just saying that, like Obama, those farms don’t do what they advertised that they do.

ted c on May 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM

How can anyone in their right mind listen to the anal opening Bill Maher calls a mouth? He is so far left he’s not even on the California coast… he’s in the Pacific.

afotia on May 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM

To call Maher an idiot is an insult to idiots. I’m not gonna say his brain is weak, but if it were made of dynamite, he couldn’t blow his hat off. Finally, that one-celled organism bobbing around inside Maher’s skull is getting measurably smaller. If you can believe that.

JerseyJeff on May 2, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I use to work in one of the smaller sky-scrapers in downtown Dallas. I use to find all types of birds on the ground on my way to work in the early morning. I usually got there before the maintenance crew picked them up. Some of them were absolutely beautiful and were on way from somewhere else, to somewhere else, having no intention of even stopping to visit Dallas until they met my building. This building was also in the center of the city. I cannot imagine the birds that hit the larger ones or those on the edge of the city.

jsulman on May 2, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Related parody on the bird-killing point: Twenty-Story, Bird-Grinding Death Machine Ultra-Doom Avoids Justice Department Prosecution

Mervis Winter on May 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Pure genius, that.

And how much money could a loser relegated to HBO like Mahi actually have? I’d have put his earning potential on par with Margaret Cho.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:11 PM

And nobody touches my cat. She’s an inside cat and murders many tens of lizards per year.
And she has a fondness for eating bugs. Unfortunately, not roaches.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Al Gore, described as ‘a Mountain of a Man’ in Global Warming Circles, pronounced today that if the world is to be saved from itself, there is no place on earth for Pets, and their carbon emissions!

The announcement would have raised alarms and Protests from millions of Pet Owners if they had heard the news, but with the new White House Media Czar, Reverend Al Sharpton filtering information, only rumours of the FATWA managed to leak out on the Glen Beck hour at Fox News.

* Al Gore: Weight 379 Pounds. Discounting for Bloat, emits enough noxious gas to move Queen Mary 2 97 nautical miles, using the figure that it takes one gallon of fossil fuel to move the liner 6 inches.
* Christie Alley: Weight 427 1/2 pounds. Enough carbon emissions equalling a company of Humvees patrolling Kabul for 3 weeks on type #2 Diesel
* Barack Hussein Obama: Weight 175 pounds. Perhaps the most distressing finding of all. Due to his extreme narcissism, type A personality, and out of control metabolism, Obama consumes and expels enough emissions equal to the fuel used by Madam Speaker Nancy Pelosi and her personal Jumbo Jet, with last air miles clocked at 225,000…and that was just going home to San Francisco.
* Oprah Winfrey” Weight : 135-297 (Fluctuates depending on how her love life is going and which sex is involved, according to Dr. Phil) emissions equal to Defcon 5 Smog alert on the LA Freeway during Friday rush hours.
* Barney Frank: Weight” 205 Pounds. Stool samples ‘too large’ to be accurately measured, and contained ‘anomalies’ which threw off laboratory testing equipment.
* Nancy Pelosi: Weight 127 Pounds. No stool samples recovered. Spokesman for the Speaker continue to maintain, “her shit don’t stink, either”
- thespoof.com

Al Gore BMI = 51.4?

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM

And nobody touches my cat.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Lanceman: Really,I as well have 3 indoor cats,as well as a
Lab,and my indoor female cat Priscilla is my fav
orite,and your right,the cats are intrigued at
chasing and eating bugs,its a small world!!:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I cancelled my HBO channels on DirecTV on Saturday and told them the reason was two words, “Bill Maher”…

The customer service rep understood… I wasn’t the first…

Khun Joe on May 2, 2010 at 7:26 PM

* Al Gore: Weight 379 Pounds.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 7:19 PM

MB4: Is that dry weight or wet weight?!

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM

She has a fondness for moths.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

MB4: Is that dry weight or wet weight?!

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Dead weight.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Yea! Great idea!
Run all our aircraft carriers on recyclable batteries; Recruit oarsmen to propel our destroyers; Fly our B 1′s on solar power; Use pigeons instead of predator drones.
The U.S. will be wiped out (bombed by state of the art nuclear weapons) in a fraction of a nanosecond.
This is a foreign policy that the Taliban can endorse.
AND THE TALIBAN WILL HAVE VIDEO FOOTAGE OF OUR CONTINENT BURNING LIKE THE OIL SPILL IN THE GULF.
Usama Bin Laden dies trying to dance on every grave of the infidels.
No Mexicans were hurt during the destruction of the United States. The Taliban is not racisssssst!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Usama Bin Laden dies trying to dance on every grave of the infidels.

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Sometimes it’s Osama, sometimes it’s Usama.

Can we say Barack Ubama?

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Here we go. Highly recommend reading this one if you have time.

BadgerHawk on May 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Excellent article, very easy to read and understand. Thanks.

Oldnuke on May 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Bill Mahre is a idiot. The best thing someone could do for this fool is to make him give up all of his energy use. No electricity, no powered mode of transportation. Let the Mother f*cker figure out where to get food and how to get around. He is all mouth and no brain.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on May 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

David Brinkley must be totally forgotten over there rolling over in his grave.

SlaveDog on May 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

FIFY

Tim Zank on May 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM

If a dog killed a neighbor’s chicken or duck, the dog would be put to sleep.

Not likely. However, if someones dog kills a child then maybe the dog’s owner should be put to sleep. Usually nothing much at all happens to them.

“Kill the cat” was my reply and then she slammed the door on me.

albill on May 2, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You are lucky she didn’t kick you in the nuts, slam the door on your head and then call the Jeffrey Dahmer hotline.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 7:35 PM

-Bill Maher

Bill would be considered a Lunitic Lonely Loon that somehow
got himself stuck in a frozen pond as it froze around him as
it kept yapping!!(sarc).

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM

ted c on May 2, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Read my second link. Eye opening stuff.

BadgerHawk on May 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Calling HornetSting. You have another serial killer in training to put down.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Bin Laden has proved his manhood; Barracky boy hasn’t.
And with that in mind, Bin Laden would probably make a better president. Ain’t no doubt he’d fight for his country!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM
—————–
She has a fondness for moths.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Lanceman: Cool,but if I had moths(indoors) the wife would go
ballistic for starters,and I would have 3 cats,a
terrorizing the entire targetted area,haha!:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Bin Laden has proved his manhood; Barracky boy hasn’t.

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM

I will be your new el Presidente and fight hard against the Muslims for our new El Grande Mexico del Norte. And at least I have a valid birth certificate for North America.

VinyFoxy on May 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Speaking of Maher,heres when he wore
a Holloween custom of the Stingray tail
stuck in his chest,of Steve Irwin!!

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Stuff the birds! Then cook ‘em.

OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM

On a roll once again,thats Halloween,spelling snafu!

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM

VinyFoxy on May 2, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Prove your manhood, senor; I could vote para tu.
Salsa and guacamole at the inauguration! Ole!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Stuff the birds! Then cook ‘em.

OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM

OldEnglish Partridge comes to mind,tasty!!

Of course stuffing a bird,in England might mean
going to the bar,and ahem,sowing the wild oats,
would it hold the same,DownUnder!?:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

And, oh, si; Cuervo Gold Tequila!!!!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Just think, Mr. Cybergeezer, if I had been born in the U.S. and Obama had been born in Russia instead of wherever he was born, I would be your President and he would be sweeping streets in Moscow. You would be much better off.

PootyPoot on May 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Oh, I think that’s pretty well universal. :)

OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

You would be much better off.

PootyPoot on May 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I’m trying to find an argument, here. I got nothing.

OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Okay,I`m goona go out on a tree limb,can birds not be trained to attack,then send them over to Iran,to cause
terror and untold damage to all Irainian missile bases,
and make it generally unsafe for any nutjob Iranians to
venture ourside!!!

Better yet,send Bird Suicide Squads,drop em out the back end of C-130 Specially designed track and control systems
over the border of Afghanistan and Puck-ee-Stan!!!

What could go wrong!(snark).

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM
————————————-
Oh, I think that’s pretty well universal. :)

OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM

OldEnglish : That IS the correct and safe answer,haha:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:01 PM

PootyPoot on May 2, 2010 at 7:54 PM
OldEnglish on May 2, 2010 at 7:57 PM

And some Spanish Fly in the punch bowl!!!!!!!
Thanks for the laugh; Comedy gold.

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Oh! Damn! Are we offending the Puerto Ricans?

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 8:07 PM

And, oh, si; Cuervo Gold Tequila!!!!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Cybergeezer:)The Champs – Tequila
===================================

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

MB4: Is that dry weight or wet weight?!

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 7:27 PM
==============================
Dead weight.

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Lanceman:Ain’t that the truth!:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Nice sax in that tune; Kids, today can’t take any wind instrument training because they have too many lip and tongue piercings.
The sygmoidoscope might be an ‘up’ and ‘coming’ instrument!!!!!!!!!!!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM

“…a long road to walk to get to that punchline.”

A Tennessee Bird Walk, no doubt.

tbrosz on May 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM

What is Mr. Maher suppose to add to a round table?

Cindy Munford on May 2, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Unintended consequence of the Defelinization Campaign: an explosion of the rat population.

So there.

Fifi.

PattyJ on May 2, 2010 at 9:18 PM

And, oh, si; Cuervo Gold Tequila!!!!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Cuervo is for peasants, senor!!
Millagro Reposado, at least! That is “sipping” tequila!!

TBinSTL on May 2, 2010 at 10:05 PM

How many damned birds are there? 20 billion? Is that just in the U.S., or worldwide?
The obvious question is this: what do we do about this plague? Aside from spilling oil, building skyscrapers, and feeding cats, that is.

Eyas on May 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM

* Al Gore: Weight 379 Courics.

FIFY

BDavis on May 2, 2010 at 11:15 PM

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM
================================
The sygmoidoscope might be an ‘up’ and ‘coming’ instrument!!!!!!!!!!!

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Cybergeezer: Piercings,ick:)

canopfor on May 2, 2010 at 11:49 PM

…and nobody but a sadist wants to see them suffer or die needlessly.

I enjoy seeing both roaches and mice suffer and die needlessly. Are you sure that makes me a sadist?

Kevin M on May 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Of course Bill Maher is worried, didn’t you see him running down the streets of NY yelling “Who will think of the prostitutes”?

Rbastid on May 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Kevin M on May 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Sadist, Maybe. D-Bag, Yes.

Rbastid on May 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM

That photo is great. My neighbor has a wild bird that pecks away at his Toyota’s right hand rear view mirror everyday, several times a day. It’s been going on for ages!

leftnomore on May 3, 2010 at 2:46 AM

The damages to the planet (and to us living on it) would be immeasurable should birds ever disappear (for whatever reason). Same with bees.

But birds are demonstratively important to the planet, mainly because the place would be overrun with insects very soon after birds disappeared, as would many plant and tree species.

I’m not a Leftwinger but as to biology and our planet — the environment, us in it, coexistence with other species, so much more (except I’ve never jumped into the global-warming mess, having long recognized that for a media-info-war), I’m very much concerned about our environment and all things natural (resources and diminishing pollution, especially).

Birds are so often victims, yes, but they are necessary members of our planet’s ecosystem, as also key elements in our human food sources.

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM

I also don’t know why in the heck some designer can’t devise a cage for wind turbines, some sort of non-restrictive-to-air-flow surrounding structure to sit around the actual blades. It’d resolve the issue of the argument used to avoid building wind farms (“the birds die”).

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Eyas on May 2, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Never underestimate the importance of guano on most living things, world-wide. Plants, the ocean life, the food we eat, bird guano contributes a great deal to a potent largesse of edible, consumable resources for us humans and many other animals (and plants and fish).

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM

And if they are NOT hunted, that same covey will be 5-7 birds come spring.

Slightly OT:

Got to spend a few days with a “birder” last fall, who works with hawks here in the mid-Atlantic region. His specialty is(are?) Red-Tail Hawks. One surprising statistic he stated was that 80-90% of Red-Tail Hawks don’t survive their first winter. Apparently, it’s a jungle out there, and not just for the game bird/song bird species.

And I’m in the process of consoling Mrs. Leprechaun. Seems that a family of Chickadees that were nesting in our back yard fell prey to a snake over the weekend. Never thought of my suburban back yard as a jungle, but…

oldleprechaun on May 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM

Any idea how much pigeons cost to clean up after on an annual basis? And their guano is toxic to humans. People have died from handling pigeon guano with their bare hands. And if not caught in time, the infection is a slow killer.
I’m not condemning ALL birds; Some are beneficial; But, pigeons are a major problem for facilities and structures.
Check your local municipality for their annual expenses to clean up after pigeons.
Here is an article on pigeon toxicity.

Cybergeezer on May 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Buildings are a major problem for the bird population.
Congress should mandate that all buildings be inverted, and all wind farms be eliminated, thereby clearing the landscape of any projections.
Buildings inverted into the ground would be better insulated, and engineers could run piping into the earths core for a heat source. Being underground would eliminate the need for air conditioning, but require more lighting; This could be powered by solar panels placed flat on the ground so as not to project into the birds’ space sanctuary.
And, just think! Terrorists could not park an SUV loaded with explosives next to any buildings, since they would all be underground.
And cats would have to be kept indoors at all times.
PROBLEM SOLVED.

Cybergeezer on May 3, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I’m not sure you could write a more obnoxious little rant if you tried.

Dave Rywall on May 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM

lol Jazz, you’re a bit uncharitable to Gary there. That long road was worth every entertaining step to get to the unstoned terns, not to mention the stoned ones :p

Aylios on May 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I’m not sure you could write a more obnoxious little rant if you tried.

Dave Rywall on May 3, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I guess that qualifies as intellectual commentary in the ecologically diverse swamplands of the left.

Aylios on May 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM