Video: Obama’s WHCD speech

posted at 1:50 pm on May 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

You can watch the whole 16-minute speech in high-rez at the White House’s YouTube account, but since most people won’t do that, I’m giving you Politico’s four-minute highlight reel. They caught most of the funnier moments, but not all. Where’s The One calling Michael Steele the “Notorious GOP” and saying Steele really knows “what plagues America today, taxation without representin’”? And where’s this stuff?

“Speaking of undeserved honors,” the president said in his stand-up routine, “a few weeks ago, I was able to throw out the first pitch at the Nationals game…. It was high and wide.” FOX News reported it as the president pandering to the left wing, he said, while MSNBC declared: “President pitches a no-hitter.”…

“Of course, that’s not the only thing we’ve been accused of socialiizing this year,” he said. “You might have heard we passed a healthcare bill… Some Republicans have claimed the bill includes a few secret provisions. That’s ridiculous. There aren’t a few secret provisions in the healthcare bill, there are like hundreds….”

Such as “The Bay State denial: This bill shall cover short-term memory loss with regard to healthcare reform. So good news Mitt, your condition is covered,” Obama said aloud to one of the Republican Party’s likely candidates for president in 2012, Mitt Romney of Massachusetts.

The best lines: His birth-certificate jab and his goof on Leno, which made me chuckle. As for the section of the speech about Politico, CNN’s camera inexplicably didn’t cut away to the photoshopped Politico covers that the White House prepared for the event. If you want to see the sight gag as it was intended, go to the YouTube version of the speech up top and skip ahead to 9:00.

The worst line? Even lefties admit that they’d have gone berserk had this crack come from Bush:

“Jonas brothers are here, they’re out there somewhere. Sasha annd Malia are huge fans, but boys, don’t get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I’m joking?”

Exit question: Did The One actually drop the F-bomb in his one-liner about Biden? Oh well — it’s not like we’ve never heard him curse before.

Comments

Just trying to be one of the folks. I wonder who wrote his material?

jeanie on May 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM

“,but since most people won’t do that..”

You know us too well AP…

… I’m going to wait for the video of Obowma walking on water down in Louisiana later today. Only 13 days after the original accident, THAT has to be some kind of record.

Seven Percent Solution on May 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM

From the little I saw of this on the news this morning,(which was more than enough), he has a horrible delivery–kind of like his pitch at the National’s game.

Beaglemom on May 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Ok, some were funny, but the Jonas brothers crack was way out of line. What makes him think these boys are pedophiles? C’mon Obama. Take a class, and get some class!

capejasmine on May 2, 2010 at 1:57 PM

You’d better hope the voters have short-term memory loss on your Obamacare fiasco.

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM

The first bit of truth Obama has uttered about the Hellcare bill.

jukin on May 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM

These things are fairly stupid to being with, but the optics on this one are particularly bad. He & Michelle get all dudded up while there’s a massive oil slick coming ashore on the Gulf, and a car bomb being found on New York.

I think Matthew Dowd, who I don’t normally care for, really articulated what’s going on in the country as a whole this morning on This Week, and how the problem in the country and what the public is reacting to, with Wall Street, Arizona, Tea Parties, health care, even Obama’s election, is government that doesn’t respond to the real world problems of the people that they are ‘governing’.

For me it’s that the Feds have decided to do so much ‘for’ and to us that they can no longer do, or care about, the things which they are actually supposed to do.

lizzie beth on May 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Won’t watch, but did tune in last night just in time to hear Leno dis the president when he said, “We don’t have astronauts on the moon, but we did get an astronaut on Dancing with the Stars.”

Tuned right out again after that.

Skandia Recluse on May 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM

You can watch…

Thanks, but is it okay to be water-boarded instead?

petefrt on May 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

It would have been fine if his daughters were older, even fifteen and up. But that young? Bad taste.

amerpundit on May 2, 2010 at 2:05 PM

What’s the old saying about “many things said in jest”?

In any event, in my opinion president’s monologue was excellent (even if I’m not a fan of his presidency), and I was surprised that his routine, and his delivery, was much better than Jay Leno’s.

Ira on May 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Michael Steele is not the Notorious GOP.

Notorious GOP on May 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I like being able to post here at HA. That’s all I going to say about this thread.

VegasRick on May 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Classiest administration, evah!

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Throwing a good breakfast on a new laptop just doesn’t sound appealing…..pass. (let me know if he came up with an “oil-slick” joke)

Rovin on May 2, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Yeah the Jonas Brothers thing grossed me out. But why does Boehner keep letting himself get so tan when he knows everyone is going to make fun of it? The guy is from Ohio, no Hawaii.

Speedwagon82 on May 2, 2010 at 2:10 PM

If I went to confession and my penance was to watch Obama on TV for over 30 seconds I think I would prefer to spend that time in purgatory.

fourdeucer on May 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Michael Steele is not the Notorious GOP.

Notorious GOP on May 2, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Way to protect your trademark. You may want to send a certified letter./

CWforFreedom on May 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Racism,straight up. No mixed couples , like nazi germany.

the_nile on May 2, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Sorry, but he’s not a funny man. He’s a typically humorless lefty, always a mean edge to every joke he tells. He’s funny like a bully thinks he’s funny. Bush, when he did these dinners, was funny as hell. Obama? Not so much.

Rational Thought on May 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I really dislike this man. I want my country back. I want adults back in the White House.

gophergirl on May 2, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Well, he was funnier than Leno.

But, I guess….so what?

Being funny is hard. For Democrats.

And I thought the predator drone joke was pretty good.

SlaveDog on May 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Not so much.

Rational Thought on May 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM

He’s uncomfortable in humor, sports, humor, and truth. He is comfortable in in being pompous, obstinate, and condescending.

CWforFreedom on May 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

And I thought the predator drone joke was pretty good.

SlaveDog on May 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM

I am sure the left will all be tweaked and just deride him for being a murderer. /

CWforFreedom on May 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Will not watch. Can’t stand the sound of his voice. It’s punishment enough that I have to see pics of O-Liar on the home page.

GrannyDee on May 2, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Rational Thought on May 2, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I think he was funny before he was annointed Black Jesus by his followers. The jokes from last year were horrible. The ones this year were almost modest. Maybe if Republicans win back Congress, he will go into full self-deprecation mode next year.

Speedwagon82 on May 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Sorry to bu22 in with O/T but before it gets pulled out from their website, yall gotta see this

macncheez on May 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Speedwagon82 on May 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I can say, quite confidently, this will never happen. Narcissists don’t do self-deprecating humor. They don’t even understand it. Laughing at one’s own shortcomings is absolute foreign territory for men like Barry. If someone wrote such a joke for him, the look on his face would be priceless: “Ummm, I don’t get this. Is this supposed to be funny?”

Rational Thought on May 2, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Speedwagon82 on May 2, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Not if-but rather with how much of a majority.

CWforFreedom on May 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM

So will his remarks to the Jonas Brother surpass Sen. Brown’s on the creep scale?

Cindy Munford on May 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Thanks, but is it okay to be water-boarded instead?

petefrt on May 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Precisely my sentiments. I prefer my torture to be something other then watching Obama make an a$$ of himself while America suffers!!!

Vntnrse on May 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Just trying to be one of the folks. I wonder who wrote his material?

jeanie on May 2, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Axelrod

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Michael Steele is not the Notorious GOP.

Obama is dyslexic. He meant the Notorious POG

William Amos on May 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM

GrannyDee

Amen. I almost can’t even stand to look at the home page anymore. I creep downward cautiously so I am prepared for the photos. (let alone the voice, what is that lispy sound at the end of his words, anyway?)

congma on May 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM

He is a great candidate…….for a late-nite show host.

Let’s all support that one.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Children jokes never work even for the big zero.

moonsbreath on May 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

congma on May 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM

What’s that about. Something deeply personal, for sure.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM

I’d rather have pins stuck in my eyes…

Caper29 on May 2, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Funny! His delivery is a million times improved since last year. Good to see he’s been practicing that, since he didn’t practice pitching.

Tanya on May 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

He is a great candidate…….for a late-nite show host.

Let’s all support that one.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM

He wouldn’t even qualify as a third-string replacement for the Sham-Wow guy!

pilamaye on May 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Nothing will ever top W.’s “You A and B students will go on to be captains of industry. You C and D students can become President.”

Lanceman on May 2, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Thanks, but is it okay to be water-boarded instead?

petefrt on May 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Right there with ya. Went leaping for the remote this AM when they showed it on Fox. That was the end of going to Mass. Would have been a major sacrilege.

katy the mean old lady on May 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM

couldn’t pay me to watch that a-hole

D2Boston on May 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM

congma on May 2, 2010 at 2:40 PM

What’s that about. Something deeply personal, for sure.

Personal?? I guess it is. When I see my country being handled by a two bit dictator, it is very personal. Hence, I can’t STAND TO SEE HIS FACE OR HEAR HIS VOICE!!!

Other than that…nothing personal

congma on May 2, 2010 at 3:10 PM

I think the last thing I want to do with my Sunday is watch Mr. Smart Aleck in Chief. But the comments are fun!

scalleywag on May 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

The tiger woods pitch man for communism

Sonosam on May 2, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I’ll take Reagan at the WHCD over Obama any day.

JohnJ on May 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM

even with Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton, I didn’t turn off the TV when they appeared. But I immediately change the channel when Chocolate Jesus or Nancy Pelosi come on.

have I gotten old & impatient?

kelley in virginia on May 2, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Sorry, after all he’s doing to this country, nothing he says could make me laugh — not even if he had the best writers.

Daggett on May 2, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Pretty much what I expected. Nothing in the way of self-deprecating humor, just digs at everyone else.

Not funny; just a nasty person.

IrishEi on May 2, 2010 at 3:32 PM

I don’t know, AP. Personally, I thought the “Predator drones” line was one of the best of the night. That and the stuff about socializing health care.

Ryan Anthony on May 2, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I thought Obama was funnier than Leno.

terryannonline on May 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM

With the right material, Obama can be very funny. But his self-satisfied smirk makes it a short laugh. Per Karl Rove’s apt observation, Obama never seems happier than when insulting someone from the sidelines.

Terrie on May 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Why would I want to watch president joke on us try to tell jokes written by someone else?

aikidoka on May 2, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I thought Obama was funnier than Leno.

terryannonline on May 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Maybe they planned it so.

the_nile on May 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM

If I were POTUS I would abolish this event.

commodore on May 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I thought that was a great line, most of the rest of the speech sucked. I also thought he dropped the f bomb or at least a muttered “frickin” or something.

ted c on May 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

In any event, in my opinion president’s monologue was excellent …

Ira on May 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Nothing this fool does is “excellent”.

Øbama back at ya.

2ipa on May 2, 2010 at 4:20 PM

There is NOTHING at all humorous about this lying fraud and where he wants to take America.

I will say however, I do scratch my head when he trots down the steps of AF1 doing the dog paddle. And the bowing, alright, that’s a little funny. And something funny happened to all of his grades and transcripts. And there was that funny trip to Pahkeestan too, and his really funny church in Chicago for 20 or so years.

Come to think of it, there is something funny about the Impostor in Chief. Too bad the joke’s on us.

ontherocks on May 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM

The WHCD has been an annual event for years, and a chance for Presidents to let their hair down and try to appear more human and a bit self-deprecating, if not actually a bit more humble. I think this is a good thing because it forces otherwise self-involved “leaders” to step back long enough to have a momentarily different perspective on themselves if they are in the least bit honest about their own self-images as often projected in outlandishly manipulated ultra-wonderful lighting.

Unfortunately, Obama seems utterly incapable of humility or self-honesty in a self-awareness vein. In fact, his propensity for making deliberate publicly snarky comments aimed at everyday people or politicians or media figures who disagree with him on any level reminds me strongly of that old bromide about people who prefer to blow out other people’s candles so that theirs might glow brighter.

Although I do understand that, especially in today’s world with 24/7 media coverage of governmental and political and global issues and events, it takes a supremely strong personality to survive the high-intensity focus. Still, there’s a huge difference between people who are self-assured and self-confident, and people who operate from a stance which consists of overblown ego and a belief in self-importance plumped up by hubris and arrogance, and supported by an army of sycophants.

KendraWilder on May 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Felt stiff. Bush was laid-back and delivered the lines like he was making them up as he went. Obama, oddly, seemed rather nervous. You’d think the Greatest Speaker In The History Of The Universe would be more relaxed.

MadisonConservative on May 2, 2010 at 4:44 PM

ontherocks on May 2, 2010 at 4:30 PM

congma on May 2, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Cindy Munford on May 2, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Senator Brown’s daughters are adults. Sasha is not yet 11, if memory serves.

Grace_is_sufficient on May 2, 2010 at 4:53 PM

“I work a lot..”

The funniest line of the night.

JellyToast on May 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

“Kim Jong-Il and Ahmedinijad walk into an oil spill, the bartender says, what’ll yas have?”

LibertyBoyNYC on May 2, 2010 at 5:05 PM

“Jonas brothers are here, they’re out there somewhere. Sasha and Malia are huge fans, but boys, don’t get any ideas. Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming. You think I’m joking?”

The “You think I’m joking?” is a little creepy. Do you think he’s joking?

JellyToast on May 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM

You can watch the whole 16-minute speech in high-rez at the White House’s YouTube account, but since most people won’t do that.

I’d rather chew on aluminum foil while being pounded on the head with a ball pean hammer, but thanks for the option.

tru2tx on May 2, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I watched the whole thing. His tone wasn’t very light and playful, it was kind of bitter and angry. Several times, he sounded less like he was making jokes and more like he was just taking shots at his opponents — the Politico and AZ jokes especially.

p.s. His daughters aren’t even teenagers and he’s joking about guys wanting to sleep with them? What the hell?

Heywood U. Reedmore on May 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Heywood U. Reedmore on May 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM

He can’t wait for their first abortions.

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM

My neighbor (an avid hunter) had a pretty funny line when guys would come to pick up his high-school aged daughter for dates. He’d tell them “Remember, I have a gun, I have a shovel, and I have a lot of land.”

Actually, come to think of it, the difference between the two jokes is very telling. My neighbor’s threat promises very personal retribution; The Won’s is all about someone else doing the dirty work. From a distance. By remote control. Very clean, very gutless. Typical.

bofh on May 2, 2010 at 6:02 PM

You can watch…
Thanks, but is it okay to be water-boarded instead?

petefrt on May 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM

cmsinaz on May 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Get Dennis Miller to host it next year and I’ll watch it.

reaganaut on May 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Was the teleprompter invited?

He doesn’t do well under any other format. Although I do love it when he goes off script.

reaganaut on May 2, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I watched this last night and as far as CD speeches go I thought he tanked. Hate to say it but Bush was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY better at this. I went back and looked Bush was very self depricating, more comfortable and had a better time doing this gig.

@ntif@n on May 2, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Get Dennis Miller to host it next year and I’ll watch it.

reaganaut on May 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

i might watch it myself..

cmsinaz on May 2, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Wanda Sykes writes for his humor; Even though he doesn’t understand the jokes.
The tele-prompter tells him when to laugh.

Cybergeezer on May 2, 2010 at 7:13 PM

couldn’t pay me to watch that a-hole

D2Boston on May 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Amen! I Tivo everything now (Beck/Baier/O’Reilly/Hannity) just so I can fast forward through whenever this clown starts yapping every night.

PatMac on May 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM

ObaMao does not turn jokes back on himself. His targets for some thinly veiled jibes are always aimed at others. He has no genuine sense of humor.

onlineanalyst on May 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

You can watch

Pass.

But I will say that having this kind of thing with all that’s going on is not inherently bad. We Americans have always been able to laugh at ourselves during the harshest of times. Just because it’s the other side doing it … .

However, that does not excuse MackDaddy’s obvious lack of, um, lack of, mmm, lack of everything we want and need in a leader.

davidk on May 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Get Dennis Miller to host it next year and I’ll watch it.

reaganaut on May 2, 2010 at 6:34 PM

The only way this will ever be interesting is if they hire a right of center comedian to do it.

Speedwagon82 on May 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Obama is certainly no Bush at this kind of thing, but some of the jokes made me laugh. Leno seemed as off his timing as the President, maybe because Obama’s routine had already done some of Jay’s jokes. Were any of Jay’s visuals any good? We could see President Obama’s, but not Leno’s. I wonder if the comments about Tonight Show stuff had Jay off his game a bit, too?

brambo_42 on May 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I’ll take Reagan at the WHCD over Obama any day.

JohnJ on May 2, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Awesome stuff. Of course Reagan was at more than one of Dean Martin’s roasts and definately gave as good as he got, so a bunch of reporters were child’s play compared to Don Rickles et al.

Many good lines, my 2 favorites:

“Dukakas got some good news about Jimmy Carter’s endorsement…he isn’t getting it”

“IF congress wants to bring the economy of Panama to its knees, why don’t they just do down there and run it?”

DrAllecon on May 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM

onlineanalyst on May 2, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Someone once said that Jimmy Carter’s idea of self-deprecating humor was to make fun of his staff.

DrAllecon on May 2, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Obama’s jokes would be funny to a Comedy Central audience.
DailyShow writers wrote his material.
For the vast majority of Americans, they weren’t funny.

Also, Leno is a sell-out, and since his masters at GE put him back in the Tonight Show cage, he has to tow the liberal line.

Conan is funnier.

Mark7788 on May 2, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Note that, in the visuals for the Politico headlines, the 1776 “Independence Dead” piece is by Helen Thomas… nice.

Claiborne on May 3, 2010 at 12:23 AM

We need a national ‘Month without Obama”.
He could go play golf for a month. There’d be no news there. Everybody wins!

Cybergeezer on May 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

A good, solid F+.

Dopenstrange on May 3, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Not a fan of your president but in regards to the Jonas Bros. joke I’m wondering if this is a bit of an over-reaction.
They ARE called “Predator” drones. And, as a father, he’d be protective of his girls (as I am of my 3), and so the joke was, as president, he has unexpected resources to use to “protect” his girls.
A somewhat poorly thought out joke but I’m not sure there was a pedo reference in there. At least not intentionally.

Just my 2 cents.

MT

Mistahtibbs on May 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Just my 2 cents.

MT

Mistahtibbs on May 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM

It’s the kind of “joke” I’d expect Bill Maher to tell.

SagebrushPuppet on May 3, 2010 at 10:25 PM