Quotes of the day

posted at 9:30 pm on May 2, 2010 by Allahpundit

“‘I am frightened,’ says David Kennedy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. ‘This is a very, very big thing.’ How bad will it get?…

“2. A seafood shortage
One-fifth of U.S. commercial seafood comes from the Gulf — including 75 percent of our shrimp. George Crozier, executive director of the Dauphin Island Sea Lab, says that the crude oil entering coastal estuaries areas may cause a dramatic drop in ‘seafood recruitment’ (as he calls it) for years to come. Louisiana commercial shrimpers have filed a class action suit against BP and its partners. This is already ‘the worst case scenario for shrimpers, oyster harvesters, crabbers — all the commercial fisherman,’ says a local expert.

“3. Higher gas prices
The 210,000 gallons of oil leaking into the Gulf each day is is a fraction of total U.S. oil consumption. But, if it takes BP weeks to stem the gushing, as seems likely, the spill ‘may be the final catalyst to push U.S. gasoline prices…solidly above $3 a gallon,’ says Charley Blaine at MSN Money.”

***
“But whatever the magnitude of the spill at the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, 50 miles off the coast of Louisiana, it is unlikely to seriously impede offshore drilling in the Gulf. The country needs the oil — and the jobs

There is another reason why offshore drilling is likely to continue. Most of the big new discoveries lie deep beneath the world’s oceans, including in the Gulf of Mexico. For the oil companies, these reserves are worth hundreds of billions of dollars and represent the industry’s future…

“‘A fossil-fuel free future isn’t inconceivable but it is decades away,’ wrote Samuel Thernstrom, a fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, on The Times’s Room for Debate blog. ‘Meanwhile, we can’t drill our problems away, but drilling still has a role to play.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I cashed in my 401K and bought a bunch of caves…

… of course, grass and grubs are extra!

But if you buy now, you can get:

“Two for the Price of One…

… Extra Shipping and Handling Costs Apply!”

Seven Percent Solution on May 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Not very young but not that old either.

NoBordersJose on May 3, 2010 at 12:12 AM

So she is one of them
‘early to bed early to spread’ Marias ;-)
You lucky lucky men !

macncheez on May 3, 2010 at 12:31 AM

A little perspective:

The annual oil consumption by the world is 27 billion barrels of crude oil. This is roughly the same volume of a cube that measures 1 mile on all sides.

If all that oil used in one year was spread out equally across the entire Earth’s surface, it would leave an oil film that is only 0.000332 of an inch thick.

It would take 12 years of the world’s entire oil consumption for that amount of oil to be as thick as a single sheet of copier paper. A standard sheet of copier paper is 0.004 inches thick, so 500 sheets add up to a stack of paper 2 inches thick.

Now take that sheet of copier paper outside and set it on the beach at sea level. While the sheet of paper weighs 4.7 grams, the air above it weighs 132,650 times as much.

That thin sheet of oil would weigh about 0.487 grams/year or in 12 years about 5.85 grams. The air above weighs 1.28 million times as much as one year’s worth of oil.

Can you still take Al Gore seriously?

Highplains on May 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Can you still take Al Gore seriously?

Highplains on May 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I couldn’t take him seriously before you gave me a headache! :)

OldEnglish on May 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Cloward-Piven, anyone?

flameofjudah on May 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM

ugh i love shrimp.

blatantblue on May 3, 2010 at 12:56 AM

how bout that shale oil

or methane hydrate

blatantblue on May 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM

SouthernGent on May 3, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Wouldn’t you think that most of the folks in Asheville are sympathetic to their “plight”? I swear I dislike the media more then Congress.

Cindy Munford on May 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM

I’m getting far too many pop up screens. This is starting to upset me quite a bit. Pop ups for surveys are not cool.

Sultry Beauty on May 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Does anybody care about the loss of life here? 11 people died, and people seem to care more about whether drilling for oil is dangerous for the environment rather than dangerous for the workers…

CliveStaples on May 3, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Do you have a nice safe job, Clive, that you can offer oil rig workers that pays as much?

KentAllard on May 3, 2010 at 1:44 AM

No, and I’m not sure how it’s relevant.

CliveStaples on May 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM

I am waiting to hear the other shoe drop, and learn what really happened on that oil rig.

With Hugo Chavez in Venezuela, one of the world’s chief providers of oil, acting like a man on drugs who should be locked in a straight jacket then locked in a padded room in a extremely secure psyche ward for lunatics, with Hugo out bad mouthing the USA, pushing his citizens around, closing down the press, drumming up hatred for the USA and stating that he wants to destroy the USA, meeting with cretins like other communists, socialists, dictators, etc., fomenting his brand of lunacy, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hugo were involved in some way.

Then there are Castro’s Cuba, the Chinese, who we are led to believe, are siphoning off the oil in the Gulf – they don’t care about accidents. It won’t affect them. There are others who are involved in sucking that oil up as well. Could one of them have tweaked things a bit?

There are the Saudis, Iran, al Qaeda, the Taliban, Hamas, Hezbollah, the al Aqsa Martys Brigade, and a plethora of other nut job organizations who LOVE to perpetrated terror and destruction, events which have after effects such as damaging the economy, screwing up oil extraction, etc..

Then we have the “Earth is more important than Human Beings” crowd who see the Earth as Sacred and Human beings as the proverbial demonic, satanic creatures of darkness and destruction who must be eliminated in order to save the earth.

Can anyone tell me with a straight face (no laughing now, please) that these nuts wouldn’t sabotage an oil rig in order to make oil drilling appear to be the most damaging thing to planet earth, thus shutting down oil drilling near the USA? These environmentalists even get their panties in a bunch when someone wants to put up a system they normally push on others, a “Wind mill farm” off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard.

Put up a windmill farm anywhere that the little people live, but not on the playground of the rich, selfish, pompous, self righteous shakers and movers who stay and play where the Special People play.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was a case of sabotage, but I wonder if our president and his weird government cronies would admit it, or try to spin it to protect the guilty and demonize the tea party demonstrators, pro-lifers, and Conservatives instead.

William2006 on May 3, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Rep. John Boehner declined to join a chorus of angry opponents of a state law in Arizona that, among other stipulations, requires that law enforcement asks residents for paperwork to prove they aren’t illegal immigrants.

“I think the people of Arizona have the right to pass their laws under the 10th amendment,” said Boehner during a news conference at the Capitol.

Since the Arizona law was passed, both President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder have expressed concerns, as have a number of Republicans, including former Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Lindsay Graham and Florida gubernatorial candidate Marco Rubio.

A real fine group of magpies that Marco has allied himself with – The anti-Arizona Five.

MB4 on May 3, 2010 at 2:44 AM

I would like to request some expert input because I’ve been searching and still not hitting right info for :

1. How many oil-rigs similar to the one destroyed in LA , are currently working all over a.the world b. USA

2. How many accidents similar to the one that happened to this rig, have happened a. internationally b. in USA

3. When was the last time a similar or any other kind of devastating accident happen on a similar rig anywhere

Since I am more comfortable with numbers rather than propaganda, I’m really getting more deadends than actual facts.
Thanx

macncheez on May 3, 2010 at 2:52 AM

William2006 on May 3, 2010 at 2:32 AM

Mark Levin interviewed a gentleman that says he was aboard the rig when it exploded. Check his web page for the interview.

Vntnrse on May 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM

CliveStaples on May 3, 2010 at 1:30 AM

~52 people have died on these oil rigs since ’01. That’s about 0.016 deaths per day. Shall we ban drilling?

A person (plus) dies every day from work-related falls. 540 per year. That’s 98 times worse than the oil rigs. Shall we ban construction? No new houses? It’s much more dangerous, after all.

93 people die in the US driving to work every day. Today, tomorrow, repeat. 34k+ per year. 93 deaths every day is 6200 times worse than the oil rigs. Shall we ban driving?

11 people dead is very sad and horrible for the families, but maintain perspective.

rogerb on May 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM

I could be totally wrong but after being a student of Politics for 40 years plus I’m a bit leery.

PappyD61 on May 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM

This is now my approach and reaction to all politicians from the so-called or alleged Right.

My reaction to all from the Left is to utterly reject who they are and what they’re saying based upon how nonsensical and unethical (and illogical) they are.

But from the Right, I’m, as you are, leery. But I still vote for the best from among them…Rubio is a very supportable candidate but the influence of Jeb Bush really puts me off, as it does you. Jeb Bush is an amnesty advocate who “apologizes” to illegal aliens for us “hating” Americans…I just can’t stand the guy and resent his influence on the GOP.

Let us all hope the best for Rubio. He’s far better than the alternatives.

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:13 AM

William2006 on May 3, 2010 at 2:32 AM

At this rate, I would not put one desperate disgusting destructive act past Obama and Crew. I think there’s little they won’t or haven’t done to damage this nation for their political purposes.

The rig being sabotaged certainly would provide Obama a jabber-tool to decry “drill baby drill” and like magic, that’s what he lept to condemn (saying there’s going to be “no more drilling”).

So the notion of considering sabotage isn’t so far fetched or unreasonable.

On that note, I think the Gulf Oil Spill should be renamed:

OBAMA’S GULF COAST SMEAR.

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:17 AM

Sultry Beauty on May 3, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Use firefox (browser) and select from Options to disallow popups (by site addresses or globally).

Also install the AdBlock Plus plugin and it’ll help out substantially.

Firefox can and does just stop all popups if you set that option as such == then you can just allow the sites where you want popups, where they serve some function to the site use.

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:19 AM

On a related note… I did hear that the statements of BO and others about stopping offshore drilling will raise gas prices…

MeatHeadinCA on May 2, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Obama’s servicing his Saudi masters.

Lourdes on May 3, 2010 at 4:21 AM

The more I see Rubio the more impressed I am with him. Which is bizarre considering that what impresses me is his plain language. “I don’t want to speculate now and end up being wrong later”. Wow. How pathetic is it to be impressed by a man who speaks in coherant, perfectly reasonable sentences?

Barry would have taken 6 minutes to answer that question and I wouldn’t have believed a word he said.

Jaynie59 on May 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM

Jaynie59 on May 3, 2010 at 6:36 AM

He is a very straight shooter. I’ve worked for quite a few over the years and this man gets the “Mean old bat Wow award” from me.

katy the mean old lady on May 3, 2010 at 6:50 AM

MB4 on May 3, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Oh please. Rubio speaks for himself and no one else, and he did not agree with Graham. As far as that is concerned, neither did Bush.

Bush just said that the bill placed too much upon local law enforcement by forcing them to do someone else’s job. I paraphrase, but that was the gist of it.

Listen, Rubio had some concerns about the way the law was written, but he is and never has been soft on illegal immigration. And the larger point is he is not from Arizona, it is his job to speak for the people of Florida.

And things like this oil spill matter a lot to the people of the Gulf.

Terrye on May 3, 2010 at 7:04 AM

And I will tell you this – if Marco Rubio is ever going to get back in my good graces he will have to do a Hell of a lot more than say a few Hail Mary’s.

MB4 on May 2, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Why would he care about getting in your good graces? Dont be silly. If politicians worried about every crank sitting on their front porch yelling at people to get off their lawns nothing would get done!

Rubio did a good job here I think. A bit too deferential to being ‘fair’ to the President. Something candidate Obama certainly would not have been to Bush.

Dash on May 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM

Something candidate Obama certainly would not have been to Bush.

Dash on May 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM

right on, and dear leader continues it today…

cmsinaz on May 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I have been to a few Rubio fund raisers and heard him speak. Some from very close up. No notes. No teleprompter. Not the same canned stump speech every time. He speaks naturally and from the heart. There is no “triangulation” in what he says. At one, I asked him about his position on earmarks. No long-winded reply with a lot of possible interpretations, just a simple “I’m against them under any circumstances.”. He is the anti-Obama.

CC

CapedConservative on May 3, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I agree with Jaynie. His comments were clear, concise, and full of common sense. He’s my man and I can’t wait to vote for him.

jatfla on May 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM

MB4 on May 3, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Expressing concerns is causing you problems? You think a bill like this should just be taken 100% without any concerns?
It seems even the authors had some concerns, since they went back and defined better some parts of the bill…I guess the Gov. Jan Brewer is now one of the “magpies”?

right2bright on May 3, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Sums up the entire debate for drilling and greenism right there. Hole in one, Mr.Thernstrom!

Dark-Star on May 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Rubio needs to have a strong response on this. If Florida’s Panhandle beaches are threatend by this oil leak it would be disastrous. Those areas are among the most conservative in the state, and he is very popular there. Their economies are very dependent on tourism and the beaches. My mom lives in Panama City Beach and I was planning a family vacation there in June. I surely do not want to go there and see oil and dead fish all over the beach.

rockmom on May 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I worked in the oil field many years ago, including some duty offshore. I’ve also been wondering about what caused the blast, especially making it so difficult to stop the leak. There’s no shortage of “foul play” suspects. BP is being faulted for not anticipating this, and that frankly makes me more suspicious. “Not anticipating this” translates in my mind to “Realized up front how disastrous such a spill would be and so designed in multiple layers of safeguards and failsafe systems so that it was no longer a likelihood.”

skydaddy on May 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Dash on May 3, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I believe that a “crank” is generally defined as someone who has a lot to say about something he knows a whole lot less about. This definition fits Marco Rubio and his weighing in on Arizona’s new law quite well. Democrats, of course, have their own Marco Rubio. Her name is Hillary Clinton, as per a thread from a day ago.

MB4 on May 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM