Video: Obama on illegal immigration enforcement in 2006

posted at 9:23 am on May 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Actually, Barack Obama doesn’t say anything different here in 2006 than he does in 2010, but this video-in-amber is interesting for the eventual outcome of the case highlighted in the clip. Elvira Arellano became quite the cause celebre a few years ago when she took refuge in a church to avoid a deportation effort by the Bush administration. The Boss Emeritus covered the case in detail during that time, and a local Chicago TV reporter wondered aloud whether Illinois’ Senators would intervene to rescue her from, er, the proper enforcement of American law. Then-Senator Obama made it perfectly clear that he has always said that he would … vote present. Naked Emperor News catches the moment:

We are a nation of laws, and Obama actually got this one right. I guess he’s more of the mind that we’re a nation of federal laws, and that states should have nothing to do with their enforcement. Will he apply that same philosophy to his new ObamaCare programs? Don’t hold your breath.

Update: Some readers, including Michael T, recall it being a Methodist church that gave Arellano sanctuary. I’ve removed the sectarian modifier, as it’s not material to this post.

Comments

We are a realm of lip service, and I am it’s King.

BigWyo on May 1, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Liar-in-chief

Philly on May 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM

“So it is said, so it is written, let it be so”. Obama

IowaWoman on May 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Nation of laws, no said anything about being a nation of enforcement.

abobo on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Such a flake. Buyers remorse is coming out the whazoo of many but how much damage will we suffer until this demagogue is dismissed? I’m afraid the white liberal guilt voters have inflicted irreparable harm to this last bastion of freedom. A curse be upon them and their offspring.

wepeople on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Speaking of Naked Emperors, apparently the National Enquirer has a story about O’bama cheating on the wifey a few years ago.

Could be fun to watch, although I doubt anyone will care, least of all his kneepads.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Stand by for a nomination of the newly titled “Multi Media Archives Deletion Czar.”

TugboatPhil on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

wepeople on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

True, but some blame must also be given to the smartass Republicans who stayed away from the polls “to teach the Republican Party a lesson”.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Why does Ariana mention God’s law here? Jesus said to give to Caesar that which is Caesar’s. The Bible is very clear that we are to obey the law of the land.

God’s law indeed.

I’m convinced that Obama doesn’t really believe anything or believe in anything but power.

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Bingo!

rebuzz on May 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Welcome aboard, now get out of those wet clothes before you catch a cold.

thomasaur on May 1, 2010 at 9:52 AM

TugboatPhil on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Hey Phil, loved your appearance on Red Eye last week! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on May 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM

TugboatPhil on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Dude! Coffee through the nose after reading this. Hot coffee…. It hurts dude… But I’m still laughing.

44Magnum on May 1, 2010 at 9:59 AM

OT, but I see this story http://www.nationalenquirer.com/obama_cheating_scandal_vera_baker_video_/celebrity/68589 has disappeared since last night. This morning I was looking for the “heartache” header for this http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/politics/01maria.html?hp. Some days, it’s hard to be FLOTUS.

indypat on May 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

indypat on May 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

It’s on Drudge.

kingsjester on May 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Now.. I want to make this perfectly clear…

franksalterego on May 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

He’s the first postmodern President. The current context determines his decision. It’s infuriating, but expediency is convenient in postmodern epistemology, especially if you’re a politician.

conservative pilgrim on May 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM

indypat on May 1, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Holy Crap!

0bama caught cheating on his wife? Where’s the “nuclear bomb” topic on that?!!?!?

Rebar on May 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

That story was out there in the blogosphere, but nobody in big media would pursue it, i.e., people with $$$ to pursue leads, etc. Now that the glory of teh messiah has worn off, outlets are running the story.

People speculate this wouldn’t be a big deal, but I wonder how African-American women will respond. I saw a movie trailer for some basketball movie recently where Queen Latifah says, “Jesus is taken. Obama is taken….” can’t remember the rest. That was enough, but shows how Obama is on a pedestal in their minds. Regardless, if true, then it isn’t surprising or good.

conservative pilgrim on May 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Why does Ariana mention God’s law here?

James 2:19

sloopy on May 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Love this….

ninjapirate on May 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM

conservative pilgrim on May 1, 2010 at 10:22 AM

O’bama supporters, no matter what their race or sex, could witness him murder somebody, and still say he was innocent.

It was the same with Bill Clinton. Remember how TIME Magazine “reporter” Nina Burleigh reacted when she learned that Clenis had sexually exploited a female workplace subordinate, in the workplace no less?

She volunteered to take Monica’s place.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Relax, 90% of Americans won’t hear this video so the Destroyers’ quote from 2006 won’t matter. Heck, his quotes from April don’t matter.

Between the Cajones free GOP Leadership we have in D.C. now (does Rahm no where all the skeletons are buried in the Republican Cemetary is that why they are all so scared?) and the the 20th Century media the whole enforcing the law thing on the borders is just a joke.

Wait till all the lawbreaking illegals are hailed as “REAL AMERICANS” by the Media today.

Amnesty for all of MEXICO should be the cry for real Democrats, it’s not “fair” for the rest of Mexico to live without the same lifestyle that greedy, racist Americans have is it?

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM

It would further cut into independents who still support him, same with religious folks (quite a few who are black), and women. It would most likely push his numbers below 40%.

It would also change the narrative from “0bama fighting the party of no” to “0bama the cheating husband”.

Rebar on May 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Remember a few weeks ago when the WH press corps (corpse)was all atwitter that O’bumpkin disappeared for several hours when he said he was attending his daughter’s soccer game? Guess I’m just a cynical pooch…mused to hubby at the time, “Wonder who he was doing.”

Chewy the Lab on May 1, 2010 at 10:43 AM

She volunteered to take Monica’s place.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM

So would AnninCA…

ladyingray on May 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM

She volunteered to take Monica’s place.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM

So would AnninCA…

ladyingray on May 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM

So true.

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Send this to Rove and the Rinos — bring the troops home. We have work for them.

The recent Republican administration sent a huge army half way around the world on a mission based on intelligence estimates concerning the mere prospect of a threat of damage to our nation.

We have, at present, identifiable areas of our territory turning into war zones with illegal invaders.

We have federal leadership that is very comfortable with turning the nation into a bankrupt, third world dung heap.

It is no surprise that the academics and pop culture (including most of the media) have no resistance to this process. They are happy being cloistered in small, safe areas while getting a thrill out of the irresponsible and sometimes violent “lifestyles” of our underclass. Further, they make so much money that high taxes and debt represent an excess over what they need to provide a decent life for themselves and their kids. Information about the tea partiers show somewhat successful folks who are old enough to remember and appreciate what this nation used to be.

I can’t walk in neighborhoods where my ancestors first bought homes in eastern cities. It took six incomes in one family for those large, sturdy homes. Criminals and illegals used to be afraid. Young men usually fought with fists and parks were safe for families.

The CIA can do a penetrating and immaculate study with the data access they have on our nation at present. Any leader who loved the dream that was this country would stop trying to save the world and save us instead.

How can we end the myopia about the loss of our nation?

IlikedAUH2O on May 1, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Don’tcha love this age of technology?:)We can find a soundbite or transcript for anything(if we’re willing to look)hey msm!!!

ohiobabe on May 1, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM

don’t worry, the msm will hide him from any embarrassement..this is die a quick death, if they have any say in it…

cmsinaz on May 1, 2010 at 11:33 AM

It’s not like he’s intervened in the case of his beloved Aunt Zituni (sp). Why would he ever stick his neck out for anyone not named Barack Hussein Obama?

lizzie beth on May 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Del Dolemonte on May 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM

I don’t blame them at all. Until a simple majority wakes up and realizes that socialism, social justice and any other leftist utopian idea riding on an unicorn is pure crap, Obowmao and his ilk will always be a contender. If McVain won, Obambi would be waiting in the wings, harping and criticizing Juan.

It might as well be now that the extreme left took the reins. Yes, 2012 is still a ways off, fortunately, not all of lost or totally destroyed and there’s still hope for recovery and a hard shift to center right.

On the other hand, with McVain sitting in the oval office, and given his squishy brand of center-left accomodations, we’d be in even more perilous conditions if come 2012, Obambi took the reins with the sort of majorities he had at the start.

Why? Because McVain would have aided and abetted the leftist nirvana by reaching across the aisles to give them some of what they got now or hope to do so soon (i.e. crap & trade, ObamaCare-lite, amnesty, bailouts/TARP — all with a little help from compassionate-conservative Bush greasing the skids for big-gubmint). Imagine the battles Obambi would need to fight in 2012 with the obstacles softened up in advance by the RINOs. I shudder at the thot.

Thank God enough conservatives sat on their hands and refused to pull the lever in 08. It’s a matter of perspective, but in retrospect, I think we’ll see that progressivism’s rise to political dominance was premature by 4 – 8 years and this forced Obambi to blow his political capital campaigning rather than reforming.

Obambi is a blessing in disguise, painful yes, but all good if he serves to wake enough of the idiot 52% up to quit flirting with big gubmint, hopey-changey and buckle down to being self-reliant.

AH_C on May 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Why did democrats elect a shameless liar to the office of President of the United States?

Inanemergencydial on May 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Trust me. I won’t hold my breath. lol Obama will do what is in his own best interest. If this means amnesty for votes….he’ll do it. It’s ALL about him!!!

capejasmine on May 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Windsock-In-Chief.

profitsbeard on May 1, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Obambi’s lament:

Does anybody here remember Vera Bak’r?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
Vera! Vera!
What has become of you?
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do?

Interlude:

Through the fish-eyed lens of LSM eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
And far from flying high in clear blue skies
I’m spiraling down polls to cratered ground where I hide.

If you negotiate the audacity of my past
And beat Axelrod and tune-out my cold TOTUS
And if you make it past Gibbsy in the presser,
Dial the combination, open the priesthole
And if I’m in, I’ll tell you what’s in my dreams.

I was this kid who had a big hallucination
Making paens to marxists in books.
I wonder if you’re keeping with my hope-n-change faith.
Could anybody love me
Or is it just a crazy dream?

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still praise me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away
And leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance
As you whisper down the phone?
Would you send me packing?
Or would you give me 2012?

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings,
Thought I oughta tear the curtain down.
I held the blade in trembling hands
Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

Rahm: “Hello? Listen, I think I’ve got it. Can’t waste this new crisis!”

H/T to ‘Pinky’

AH_C on May 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I don’t think I have ever seen a more hollow, self-centered, egotistic, liar, than our current potus. Astounding…. thanks, liberals. Fortunately, he will be a lame duck after November. If only our gutless Republicans in Congress can hold the line until then…….. in my dreams.

ultracon on May 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Can I eat my waffle?

HornetSting on May 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Cafferty smacks Mr. Utopia, on topic, like no other.

Scroll down a tad and be sure to watch the video to the very end. It’s short.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

We were a Nation of Laws. The Law of the Land was supreme.
We have become something less than that now. We are now Obama Nation and cheapened and soiled by partisanship, reverse racism and transformed by the Pretender and a totally irresponsible Congress.

I miss My Country.

old trooper on May 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Its really too bad that this HNIC hasn’t seen that his policies and beliefs aren’t getting the traction that he wants.

Its time for the HNIC to take a hike.

belad on May 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM

A law not followed is an illegal act. Therefore, being in this country without permission is an illegal act, thus making you and illegal immigrant.

Does anyone remember young Elian Gonzalez. The six year old was brought to America by his mother to live in freedom, but was deported back to Cuba and is now a member of Castro’s wonderful and well heeled military.

If his mother had sought asylum, with the help of legal relatives in the U.S. Elian would not be a Junior in High School and fully eligible within a year or so of becoming a naturalized citizen. But, no, Bill Clinton and Janet Reno sought to have Elian deported to face the depressing and repressive Regime of Castro’s Cuba.

MSGTAS on May 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM