Video: Bored troops go Gaga in Afghanistan

posted at 5:58 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

The real news from Afghanistan today is too depressing for a slow Friday evening, so let’s stick with a morale booster. As a bona fide viral smash — inadvertently so, according to the Smoking Gun — this would be postworthy under any circumstances, but the idea of a Lady Gaga production going on in the heart of Taliban country makes it downright irresistible. If you asked me what type of music vid I’d expect from the 82nd Airborne, I’d have guessed metal or hip-hop. Instead they picked a dance hit from the reigning queen of camp, whose eyebrows in the original video for this tune would make a Marine blush. Maybe the military really is ready to end “don’t ask, don’t tell.” (Or is it?)

The first 1:40 is a little slow, but stick with it. Trust me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

FlickeringFlame on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Wow. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight, knowing RogerWaters/TheWall/TheFinalCut/TheFlickeringQueen called me “Portlandumb”.

I can’t get excited enough to even trash you tonight Pink Floydeeeee.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Update from previous post: Nevermind, I FU’ed. These were Army guys, not Marines. Read the story wrong. Spent too long at happy hour. Time to go to bed now.

Hummer53 on April 30, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Hoo-ah!

Mojave Mark on May 1, 2010 at 12:44 AM

This is:

FUNNY

SAD

ODD

Comfort for the enemy

What were they thinking?

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM

At the 1:37 mark…

They guy in the background on the left.

Is that a TCN?

F15Mech on May 1, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I love it! Good for them for doing something creative instead of indulging in something self destructive!

I know how stressed my son was during his deploy. He could have used a good laugh like this.

alohapundit – Godspeed, take care of yourself and come back to us whole and sound.

Mommynator on May 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Look how the different races work together.

Boy, is The Race Card going to be p.o.’d!

Blake on May 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I was a Lady Gaga fan at least two years ago, before all of you johnny-come-latelies jumped on the bandwagon.

She’s the modern day Madonna. And I mean that in a GOOD way.

Vyce on April 30, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I beg your pardon…it’s been at least two years that Lady Gaga took out the restraning order against Allahpundit. So, who’s the jonny come lately??

Blake on May 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM

@ Blake on May 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM: ROFL!

____________________________

Comfort for the enemy…Will be used to show American decadence to the Muslim world reinforcing “Americans and the west are infidels”.

What were they thinking?

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 1:04 AM

Pappy, Americans and the West are, by definition, infidels. There’s no way to get around that one no matter what we do.

Are you really suggesting that members of the US Military should comport themselves in compliance with the dictates of Sharia Law in order to avoid giving comfort to the enemy?

I should think that the converse would hold: the Islamofascists would get a great deal of satisfaction knowing that they had forced enemy troops to conform to their own fanatical value system and had, in effect, established dhimmitude among the infidels without even having had to conquer them militarily first.

leilani on May 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM