Ryan: GM repayment claims a “shell game”

posted at 12:15 pm on April 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Last week, General Motors began airing ads claiming that they had repaid the money used to bail them out of their deep financial distress. Barack Obama and his supporters seized on the announcement to declare the bailouts a success. Only after careful scrutiny did it come to light that GM had paid off one set of taxpayer loans with another line of taxpayer credit — in effect, moving bailout funds from one account to another. Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) wants a full accounting of GM’s status and their claims, and “an end to crony capitalism”:

You may have read reports from the Obama Administration or seen ads on TV claiming that General Motors has fully paid back what it owes you the American taxpayer.

These claims struck me as odd and misleading. The federal government still owns over 60% of this auto company. This so-called repayment is actually a transfer of $6.7 billion from one taxpayer-funded bailout account to another.

As this is your money, I think you deserve some clarity on this shell game. My colleagues Congressmen Jeb Hensarling, Scott Garrett and I have asked Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner to provide an updated, accurate, and honest account of the taxpayer money that is still propping up General Motors.

If anyone is owed a clear and honest explanation it is those hit hardest by the downturn in the auto industry, including those I serve in Janesville, Kenosha, Oak Creek and the surrounding communities in Southern Wisconsin.

It is time to put an end to the crony capitalism in Washington.

Shouldn’t the FTC check into GM’s advertising as a violation of truth-in-advertising regulations? The intent of this ad was to sell cars under the false pretense that the government was no longer keeping GM afloat. GM knows that the perception of failure has badly damaged their brand, and ridding itself of the stench of the unpopular bailouts would mean ending a competitive disadvantage. This looks like a fraudulent attempt to achieve that result.

Or does the FTC not concern itself with government-owned businesses? Crony capitalism, indeed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

ummmmm…. he won’t be using Turbo Tax to get you that information now, will he Paul? If so, we might have a teenie issue there… yeah..

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

You mean Ed Whitacre lied to us in that GM commercial? I’m shocked.

Fletch54 on April 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

We know politicians can lie to our faces 24/7 because their speech is protected and it is our responsibility as citizens to stay informed and call them on their “BS”…

… But when a car company goes on the air waves and blows multi-colored smoke up your a%s to try to make you buy their cars, in my opinions that violates the “Truth in Advertising” laws!

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Good question. Perhaps the FTC only regulates private industry.

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

A LLL friend and I get into a screaming match over this. According to him I have no concept of high finance and GM really did pay back everything they owe the Fed. When I referred him to a few articles all I got back was I am a racist redneck who is stupid and can’t understand how the finance world works. It must be really bad in LLL land as he has never called me a racist to my face before.

Johnnyreb on April 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Wouldn’t it be sweet if Toyota ran an ad pointing out this shell game?

Patrick S on April 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Waiting for the trolls to denounce a congressman who’s fighting for his formerly employed by GM, union member constituency.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I would like to know how GM got my email address. Last week they emailed me lying that they had repaid the loans.

farright on April 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

The GM ad is downright insulting. It spotlights the thugs who are running GM and the government who owns them. Keep it up, fools.

d1carter on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Govt. Motors: Robbing Peter to pay Paul

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Well he did vote for the GM bail out and Tarp.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Does this mean the cost for ObamaCare will also be paid off early?

Rovin on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

*confirmed*
as of today, I am still committed to NOT, yes NOT buying a GM product.

Bail yourselves out of that one, GM. Just to turn the screw, I grew up in a Chevy-only family and swore I’d never drive anything else. I had a ’66 Chevy II Super Sport, loved it, and loved the brand.

Nowadays, ehhhh, not so much.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

It would be great if they made GM run an ad to correct their previous run. Quite astonishing that the CEO would come on saying he “could respect” Americans not wanting to bail out GM… while not respecting us enough to tell us the truth about their supposed “repayment, ahead of schedule and with interest.”

Firefly_76 on April 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Didn’t Beck threaten to expose the Ed Whitacre and Rahm connection?

d1carter on April 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

“GM” put the gm in lyinGMotherf*&^%$’s

VegasRick on April 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Govt. Motors: Robbing Peter to pay Paul

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Paul? I thought Whitacre’s name was Edward.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Slide of hand. GM style.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Chances of me buying a GM made vehicle just went from “virtually non existant” to “when hell freezes over”

veni vidi vici on April 30, 2010 at 12:27 PM

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

He had to vote for the GM bailout; Janesville is where they made the light trucks. As for the TARP stuff…

Oh, well.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM

One would suspect that Hussein and his Posse of Clowns are behind the propaganda Government Motors is spewing. Again, it’s Unconstitutional for our Government to be involved in Private businesses so the whole “Too Big To Fail, the clowns are projecting is non-sense. Our Narcissistic President is behind doing all of this attention grabbing non-sense while raping our Constitution. The supportive Clowns, are too busy trying to reform everything after they lined their pockets full of money.

BigMike252 on April 30, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Paul Ryan is def. on my top 3 list of guys I would have a Bro-mance with. We could hang out, catch a ball game, fist bump, we could talk about about a flat tax over beers and wings at Hooters. Man, that would be so awesome!

Jussi on April 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM

GM=Zil=Yugo=Fiat=British Leyland

All junk.

Inanemergencydial on April 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Isn’t it funny how every time a Democrat lies, some one’s accelerator mouth gets stuck to the floor?

Rovin on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I heard that radio commercial last week and the guy sounded gleeful and gloating. He boldly lied and nobody will know unless this ruse is exposed. I’m glad Ryan is bringing this cronyism to light, but unless someone in the MSM or Fox gives him air time and exposes this, it’s a moot point.

conservative pilgrim on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Acting stupidly.

Obama says we sold Chrysler to Fiat. We check Fiats web site and reports to their investors and there is no record of the claim. We are getting dishonest financial reports from the Regime.

seven on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Took long enough. This news dropped some time ago.

ernesto on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

You mean Ed Whitacre lied to us in that GM commercial? I’m shocked. Fletch54 on April 30, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Really. It’s really the height of arrogance to say, “Some of you didn’t want to give GM a second chance. And frankly, I respect that.”

A second chance? We didn’t run that company into the ground, your predecessors and your union did that. Some epople don’t want to give you a second chance? Are you going to keep putting $1,500 of pension funding into your cars? You want a second chance for that? A second chance means you stop that crap, among other things.

And “I respect that”? Well we don’t respect being told you paid off your loan five years early when you’re lying thru your dentures.

Akzed on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Govt. Motors: Robbing Peter to pay Paul

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Worse. They’re robbing Peter to pay Paul, and then robbing Paul on the pretext they’re paying back Peter, when all they’re really doing is paying themselves with everything they’ve stolen from both those poor schmucks.

leilani on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

GM transferred their credit card balance to a new card…and proclaimed themselves debt-free. That dog won’t hunt, kids.

Jorge Bonilla on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Maybe we need a link to an FTC complaint submission portal and a viral movement to inundate them with demands for an investigation and prosecution for violating truth-in-advertising regs… ? Anyone? Anyone?

Something like an online FTC Complaint Assistant, perhaps?

Anyone have a better/more appropriate link?

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Oh, well.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Ummm no he didn’t. He could have said no. I understand trying to save your State.. but voting on a national bail out for a small population of your State is insane and the reason why the mass majority of people are getting screwed!

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Absolutely! This is not “puffery”, this is outright false advertising! I change the channel every time this commercial comes on because I am sick and tired of people lying to my face.

HawaiiLwyr on April 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I’ve had many GM products over the years (2 Suburbans, 2 pickups). I even faithfully endured a Vega. At this point, however, it really doesn’t matter what they say. Why would I give my money to a company that helps support a bunch of marxist union thugs. My next car might just be a Ford, if they’re willing to stand up against the unions.

ClanDerson on April 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM

The loans are repaid….and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Kafir on April 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM

That’s not a flattering picture of Paul Ryan.

Key West Reader on April 30, 2010 at 12:38 PM

ClanDerson on April 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Ford is doing better and better. But what can they do about the unions other then tell them to work or get lost?

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I was just checking up on who the commissioners are on the FTC. What an assembly of weasels; you got people who were on the Harvard Law Review when Obama was head, spouses of WaPo writers, big time trial lawyers. Basically, the last people you’d want in a position of trust.

Buddahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM

A used car salemen lied?!?!

That’s as shocking as a lying politician.

profitsbeard on April 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I had a ‘66 Chevy II Super Sport, loved it, and loved the brand.

Nowadays, ehhhh, not so much.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Could sure use that car for my newest engine.

heshtesh on April 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM

The only thing transparent about this administration is their lies.

docdave on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Government Motors sure got used to government accounting fast.

Slowburn on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

GM lost $4 billion from bailout (April) through Dec 2009.

How do you lose money and pay off loans?

faraway on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Johnnyreb on April 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Um, “friend”? The guy doesn’t sound like much of a friend.

needtoknow on April 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM

GM lost $4 billion from bailout (April) through Dec 2009.

How do you lose money and pay off loans?

faraway on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

That’s what I asked myself when I first heard the GM ads claiming to have paid off their loans in full. It was obvious they were lying.

forest on April 30, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Um, “friend”? The guy doesn’t sound like much of a friend.

needtoknow on April 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM

He is more of a long time associate (16 years) than a friend. We know and hang out with some of the same people on occassion so we run into each other quite a bit.

Johnnyreb on April 30, 2010 at 12:49 PM

On a positive note, Paul Ryan is an example of a smart, hard-working public servant doing his very best for not only his constituents in Wisconsin, but all citizens in the U.S.

Not sure if his path will lead him to the White House one day, but I know he’s the type of guy that would make a worthy leader of Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

Here’s hoping Paul Ryan goes on to bigger and better things. America will be better off for it.

jdflorida on April 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM

You mean if I use my American Express card to pay of my Visa card, I’m … what… still in debt?? oh oh.

kurtzz3 on April 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Rep. Ryan, you’re asking Tim tax-cheat Geitner for a “honest” accounting? Good luck getting that.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Could sure use that car for my newest engine.

heshtesh on April 30, 2010 at 12:42 PM

it had a 283 w/ a 2 barrel carb. it was okay, I would’ve liked to put a 327 or 400ci SB in it.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Undoubtedly, the ads about paying back the bailout loans with bailout loans were paid for with

bailout loans.

Ponzi.

juanito on April 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Shouldn’t the FTC federal government check into GM’s the federal government’s advertising as a violation of truth-in-advertising regulations?

Yeah, sure. That’ll fix all of the incurable problems of Socialism.

I wonder why no one ever thought of this before?

logis on April 30, 2010 at 1:01 PM

It is time to put an end to the crony capitalism in Washington.

“crony capitalism”….hmmmmmm, where have I heard that term before?…

tencole on April 30, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Well, this is certainly unexpected.

riverrat10k on April 30, 2010 at 1:07 PM

What this story is REALLY about is the shift from the Bush bailout LOAN to the Obama bailout GIFT!

Bush did not want to simply hand cash to the UAW and GM management without any strings. Bush modeled his bailout on the Chrysler deal that Carter made decades ago.

Obama simply handed GM more money than they needed to ‘get by’ for a couple of years so they could DITCH the RESPONSIBILITY that Bush had left them with.

Look for Obama, and the Democrats, to HAND GM 12 BILLION more to cover that UAW pension fund in the near future!

Freddy on April 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Evidently part of the the 17.5% of GM the UAW gets total control over is the marketing department.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I understand the anger at a self-professed conservative voting for the GM bailout and TARP. Believe me, I do. But a congressman still has to repond to his constituency; and they overwhelmingly demanded that action. I know; my home of record is in the adjacent district. Even now, he’d be staring at the boot if he had voted against, and then where would we be? With another Obey or Baldwin, is where.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM

GM is just begging Ford to run a “We did not need a bailout ad”

Theworldisnotenough on April 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM

So GM has paid all the taxpayer money back? They paid back about 10% of our money: when they come up with another $60 billion or so to completely buy out the government stake in GM, that claim will be nearly true.

Meanwhile, I’m not interested in GM products.

landlines on April 30, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I knew it in my bones; Ryan didn’t have to say GM’s lying.
But, I’m glad somebody with a high profile is calling them on it.
Ryan seems to be the ONLY Republican in Congress that is actually performing his duties as he should.

Cybergeezer on April 30, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM

went there, did that.

riverrat10k on April 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Ryan voted for bailout funds for GM to prevent TARP funds from being required and used for that purpose. They were anyway. As for TARP, a lot of people were misled on that one.

Amazingly, I saw Neel Kashkari on CNBC earlier in the week. Dude actually has a job!

Took long enough. This news dropped some time ago.

ernesto on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

You’re pathetic, you know that?

DrSteve on April 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Charles Ponzi, phone home.

Mason on April 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Not to mention the SEC.

xblade on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

The wife and I bought a brand new SUV last weekend. It was a 2010 Toyota Highlander. Suck it, GM!

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM

This isn’t anger… this is rage.

Don’t let crap slide! When people get a pass for something they KNEW was wrong to begin with…. they don’t get a pass. No one should. It makes no sense why people are allowed to slide when everyone else doesn’t get a pass.

I am tired of people getting away with murder as I have to work my butt off. Ryan SCREWED UP. And NO ONE has called him to the floor for it… and to those people who don’t. They are pathetic.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Or does the FTC not concern itself with government-owned businesses?

Two sets of rules – one for Private enterprise, one for Government.

One set for Republicans, one set for the National Socialist Left.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

The ad (and the news conference in which the original claim was made) will be blamed on an outsourced PR firm. Geithner and GM will escape free and clear. Such is the way things are done in the Obama world.

southsideironworks on April 30, 2010 at 1:25 PM

I heart Paul Ryan.

D2Boston on April 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

That’s a really nice car.

DrSteve on April 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Related: New GM Cars Run on Efforts of U.S. Taxpayers

Mervis Winter on April 30, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I was in an accident and the adjuster totaled out my car. So now I am shopping for a new ride. All I know at this point is that it won’t be a GM vehicle. One of the pleasures of shopping for a new car will be knowing that GM will no longer get my hard-earned money.

Mallard T. Drake on April 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM

That’s a really nice car.

DrSteve on April 30, 2010 at 1:28 PM

The wife tells me it’s great. I’m a compact car kinda guy though, so I’ll stick with my Camry.

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM

conservative pilgrim on April 30, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Bbbbbbbut, the guy on the radio commercial I heard sounded like such an honest, principled, southern gentleman! Like a Fred Thompson-esque guy was running GM.

I’m sure that was no accident.

hoosiermama on April 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Rage away.

I don’t agree that Ryan “KNEW” that those votes were wrong. And neither did the thousands of people put out of work when the Janesville plant closed. You can talk about union involvement and mismanagement and you can talk about TARP inefficacy and apparent corruption with perfect hindsight.

But nobody in the Wisconsin 2nd district gives a s**t about your or my indignation. They do, however, want a representative that represents the 2nd district. And that’s how it’s supposed to be. Your and my opinion don’t really count in those parameters.

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Leave it to liberals to politicize car-shopping. This country is getting repulsive to me.

leftnomore on April 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

CALL THE FTC!

I did. They will take the complaint right over the phone.

Report a General Complaint:

Your complaint, comment, or inquiry may help us spot a pattern of law violations requiring law enforcement action. It also may help us recognize and tell people about bigger trends affecting consumers. We do not resolve individual consumer disputes.
About a Company, an Organization, or a Business Practice

* Online: Use our secure complaint form.
* Phone: Call our toll-free helpline: 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357);
TTY: 1-866-653-4261
* Mail: Write to:
Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580

Opposite Day on April 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM

The Government does nothing when Government Motors makes outrageous and misleading claims. Look at how nobody batted an eye when Government Motors announced that the Chevy Volt would get 230 MPG. This is obviously fraudulent, but the government let them get away with it.

Haiku Guy on April 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Johnnyreb on April 30, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Isn’t that the LLL way, if you can’t win the argument with facts, resort to ad hominine attacks.

I’ve never been a GM man, and government motors only reinforces this for me. If I were in the market I would strongly consider a new Ford but my 11 year old F-150 is going strong and my wife’s Mazda 6 (built by Ford in Michigan) is still in its prime.

Sparky on April 30, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Cooperation from tax cheat Timothy should not be expected. But thanks for getting the word out on these crooks!

Sherman1864 on April 30, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Like I said on another comment site:

Do they think we the taxpayers are so easily fooled? That says a lot about how GM viewed its potential customers.

Sir Napsalot on April 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM

GM CROOKS!

Doesn’t bother me though…. I drive a Mustang and an F150.

It’s only a matter of time before the rest of GM’s offerings go the way of the Oldsmobile and Pontiac.

bannedbyhuffpo on April 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Does this mean the cost for ObamaCare will also be paid off early?

Rovin on April 30, 2010 at 12:24 PM

You betcha!

Now everybody can rest easy. /

Sir Napsalot on April 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Freddy on April 30, 2010 at 1:09 PM

You mean they’ll do the same, when Fannie and Freddie come knocking, too?

Sir Napsalot on April 30, 2010 at 2:24 PM

That GM commercial makes my blood boil every time I see/hear it.

HornetSting on April 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Doorgunner on April 30, 2010 at 1:14 PM

This isn’t anger… this is rage.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 1:24 PM

It is called representing his constituents. You know what did not happen with Obamacare.

Slowburn on April 30, 2010 at 2:52 PM

They should be forced to pull that ad, it is a total fabrication. Wonder how much of our hard-earned tax dollars they paid to air that lie.

Susanboo on April 30, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I got one for GM:

My 2 day old 2010 Nissan Murano sitting in my drive way made in TN by non-union americans! I got the LE, too, so…suck it GM. Parked it right next to my 5 -year old Xterra.

erakis on April 30, 2010 at 3:12 PM

My next vehicle will either be another Acura TSX or a Toyota Tundra. I stopped paying the union boys a long time ago.

stvnscott on April 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM

It’s obvious now that we erroneously assumed that TARP was an acronym!!

TARP is in fact a gigantic cover designed to keep the sunlight off of Washington and Washington-Industrial Complex corruption!!!

landlines on April 30, 2010 at 3:30 PM

This country isThe democrats are getting repulsive to me.

leftnomore on April 30, 2010 at 1:37 PM

yea?

Inanemergencydial on April 30, 2010 at 4:42 PM

You know … they said “Bush Lied” when he was simply wrong about WMD’s in Iraq (or, well so far it looks like he was wrong). He wasn’t the only one “wrong” about them either – but they said …

HE LIED.

But these OBVIOUS LIES coming from the Obama administration about the success of the bailouts, about how ObamaCare would DECREASE premiums and DECREASE the deficit – no one calls him out on this stuff.

Bush was wrong – and got accused of lying.

Obama is flat out lying – and no one in the Lame Stream says a word.

HondaV65 on April 30, 2010 at 4:54 PM

That Paul Ryan, he’s going places, yes he is. He’s the young face of the GOP, and thank God for it.

Bob's Kid on April 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Creative accounting practices are de rigueur for the federal government, so I’m not surprised that Government Motors also practices such shady shams when manipulating the numbers. Especially since GM is not using its own money to repay taxpayer loaned monies.

KendraWilder on April 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

GM is lying and BO is lying by not calling GM out.

proconstitution on April 30, 2010 at 8:44 PM

It is a total insult to the American people to be told such an obvious deception and expect anyone with a double digit IQ to not recognize it as nothing, but a lie. What is sadder, liberals will swallow the kool-aid and swear it is the truth. When the brainwashing of the lemmings are in the advance stages, the lies and deceptions of this administration become reality.

volsense on May 1, 2010 at 11:10 AM

The biggest problem with lying is remembering all of them and these folks don’t have much of a memory. They hope we don’t, either.

LarryG on May 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM