Rick Perry: No Arizona-style immigration law for Texas, thanks

posted at 5:20 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Rick Perry awfully worried about the Latino vote in this year’s gubernatorial election.”

“I fully recognize and support a state’s right and obligation to protect its citizens, but I have concerns with portions of the law passed in Arizona and believe it would not be the right direction for Texas,” Perry said in a written statement.

“For example, some aspects of the law turn law enforcement officers into immigration officials by requiring them to determine immigration status during any lawful contact with a suspected alien, taking them away from their existing law enforcement duties, which are critical to keeping citizens safe.”…

Perry took heat during this year’s Republican primary for backing in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, saying in a debate that the students are on a path to citizenship.

In fairness, he’s called for Congress to provide border security before considering amnesty, and his concerns about cops getting bogged down in immigration policing aren’t unfounded. WaPo’s got several Arizona officers on record saying they’re too busy to go after illegals or worried about getting sued — by both sides — depending upon on how strictly or not strictly they enforce the law. The thing is, I’m not sure even the cops out there know the ins-and-outs of the statute yet. For instance:

“We’re way too busy,” Charlton said of the law’s requirement that police officers question anyone they reasonably suspect of being in the country illegally. “We don’t have enough officers on the street to look for other stuff like that. If they’re not doing anything, they’re just being normal people. Why would I do that?”…

The day after the Arizona legislature approved the bill, the police headquarters was flooded with phone calls. A typical complaint, according to Villaseñor, was this: “Hey, there are some Mexicans standing on the corner? You need to check them out.”

The police chief considered the requests “ridiculous” because “a lot of people stand on street corners.” Villaseñor, a Tucson native who joined the police force in 1980 and became chief last year, said he understands the frustrations but objects to the law on several levels.

Those requests are indeed ridiculous. The good news? The law doesn’t ask cops to act on them. As was made clear by yesterday’s revisions, only those who have been detained on suspicion of a crime are subject to it. Which is to say, it’s not “anyone” who has to worry; it’s people who are doing things that would normally attract a cop’s attention in the first place. It’s astounding that misinformation about the statute has penetrated so deeply that even Arizona police aren’t straight on it yet, but then, as Ed noted this morning, drafting the law clearly in the first place would have gone a long way towards solving that problem.

Elsewhere, Major League Baseball’s players union has denounced the law and hinted about taking “additional steps” if it’s not repealed or modified, by which I assume they mean boycotting the All-Star Game this year or something along those lines. In semi-related news, I will continue not watching baseball until October. Exit question: What’s Rick Perry going to do when Arizona’s illegals take the hint and head east?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I wonder if Governor Perry knows the Alamo is in Texas. I guess it’s still in Texas. Personally, I think it should be moved to Arizona.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Whoa, hold on there MB4. Don’t Mess With Texas!

redridinghood on April 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Maybe it’s news to you, but more than half of Americans don’t pay federal income tax. Yet these people get to vote. They get to legally take from us what we earn. Is it just because it’s the law? ObamaCare is the law of the land now. Should people be kicked out of the country if they refuse to obey the mandate?

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

You’re conflating Americans who don’t pay taxes, and Americans who would pay a fine rather than get expensive insurance to people blatantly coming here illegally and burdening the people that do pay taxes even more?

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:28 PM

If you’re ready to marry that person…

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I don’t know where you get your info, but it’s wrong.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Whoa, hold on there MB4. Don’t Mess With Texas!

redridinghood on April 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

When Texas starts acting like Texas again then I won’t mess with Texas. Right now Arizona is acting like Texas and Texas is acting like one of those states that is between states number 51 and 57.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

It’s a weird world we live in that people who want the laws to be obeyed are horrible. Is baseball doing well enough to alienate (not pun intended)ticket buyers and viewers?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I don’t know where you get your info, but it’s wrong.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Well then, how are am wrong? Your statement is that any American can sponsor anyone from another country to come to the US and I said it’s not true. To prove me wrong, please describe the mechanism by which an American can bring a foreign national, not related by blood or marriage, into the country.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

News media will show an endless parade of lawbreakers expressing their demands on the rest of us.

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM

If it’s anything like what happened here this week (and what will likely happen again tomorrow at the May Day protests), the media will report on the “mostly peaceful” demonstrations, while carefully avoiding any mention (or video) of the “mostly peaceful” protestors throwing rocks and bottles and other debris at the police, or shouting racial slurs at us “thieving gringos” or shouting threats about how they’re going to “invade” our state (like they’re not doing that already) and take back “their” country that we “stole” from them.

AZCoyote on April 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I’m not interesting in having a Grahamnesty or a Specter for that matter who gets voted in on a lie and does the bidding of the opposition. You’re either Conservative and a Capitalist or you’re not. There really isn’t a middle ground as much as Leftist like to make a case for it.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

And when a candidate better than Perry comes along I will vote for them (I think he has served too long). The choice now is between Perry and White. Will you vote in Texas?

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

If you’re feelin’ froggy, come and take it*.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

As opposed to another state, what is yours?

*Texas historical reference.

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Employment, or several other ways. Please see “Immigration and Naturalization Services”.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Well, specify them, if you please. As far as I know, H1B visas are non-immigrational. Moreover, not every American can sponsor someone on an H1B.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 8:07 PM

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

If you’re feelin’ froggy, come and take it*.

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM

The physical building itself remains in Texas but the spirits of those who fought there have quite obviously moved to Arizona. Arizona’s woman governor is more of a man than Rick Perry and that is plain for the whole world to see.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:47 PM

‘Professors’ in US taxpayer funded Universities sponsoring muslim men / taliban members for student visas

All those H and J category visas, and other such visas

to name just a few

macncheez on April 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM

In addition to making Houston a sanctuary city, he invited in thousands of Katrina refugees, quite of few of whom were/are criminals.
The murder and crime rate in Houston went up accordingly.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

You got that right. Bill White was horrible and while I’m really pissed at Perry, looked what happened when people stayed home in 2008. Next month, I’m moving out of the neighborhood I grew up in because the illegals have turned Houston into a barrio. Let these elitists live among the trash, the old cars in the street, the overgrown lawns, the 20 people living in one house, or stand in line at Kroger next to an illegal with their 5 kids, none of whom can speak English, only to whip out the welfare card, the one that I’m paying for. I AM SICK OF THEM.

TxAnn56 on April 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM

One,Rick is right,in TEXAS this immigration law thing would tie up the 140 every other year day session and waste a lot of time needed to fix other state needs.Every other year limits the damage.
Two, The bill that should come up is to cut all state funds to Austin (and cities like it) until they cut that sanctuary city S$%t out.
Thirdly keep the heat on Mr oMajik to get the Feds to do what we pay em to do.

Three, As to the ALAMO moving?

DO not ever even begin to think that you will win any fight with
The Daughters of The Republic of TEXAS.
1836, 1842, 2010 The DRC will whoop A.

Col.John Wm. Reed on April 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Illegal immigrants aren’t destroying our country. These people work. When you sit down to dinner tonight, there’s food on the table thanks to illegal immigrants. There’s a roof over your head probably thanks to illegal immigrants. Why do people have to be so darn vicious towards people who simply want to be in our country?

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Wow. I hope you’re some sort of concern troll, and not a person who is actually this uninformed. Arizonans aren’t as up in arms as we are because we’ve got a bunch of law-abiding foreigners here who just want to pick lettuce and strawberries and become good citizens. We’ve got vicious gangs of foreign criminals roaming our streets and victimizing our citizens and legal residents. We’re just #20 of the 50 states in terms of population, but we rank #1 in crimes like home invasion, kidnapping, carjacking and identity thefts — and AZ law enforcement says the majority of this crime is being committed by illegal aliens. Our state prisons are full of illegal aliens who’ve committed violent crimes against AZ residents.

The crime alone would be reason enough to want illegal immigration stopped, but there’s also the enormous cost. AZ currently has a $2 Billion budget deficit. Our taxes (of all kinds — property taxes, state income taxes, state and local sales taxes, etc.) keep going up, and yet we continue to have to pay millions every year to provide “free” public education for the children of illegal aliens, and “free” emergency medical care, not to mention all the welfare fraud we pay to illegals who are using identities they stole from legal AZ residents. And of course, there’s also the many more millions we have to pay each year to investigate, prosecute, and incarcerate all the illegal alien criminals we’re able to catch — and we only manage to catch a small fraction of them.

So why do people like you have to be so darn unconcerned about the millions of AZ citizens who are being victimized in so many ways by foreigners who believe they have some natural entitlement to violate whichever of our laws stands in the way of something they want?

AZCoyote on April 30, 2010 at 8:38 PM

–The cost of landscaping in TX will go down, so he’ll cut the Capitol’s lawn every week now.

Jimbo3 on April 30, 2010 at 9:01 PM

The murder and crime rate in Houston went up accordingly.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

TxAnn56 on April 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM

–I’m voting for White over Perry.

Jimbo3 on April 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Governor Rick Perry: I did the safe thing. You are in great peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: I don’t think I am.
Governor Rick Perry: Yes, you are. You are in terrible peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, let us both stand up for America and together face any peril.
Governor Rick Perry: No, it’s too perilous.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, it’s our duty as Governors of American states to sample a little peril in the service of America.
Governor Rick Perry: No, we’ve got to find a way to just submit and become Mexico el Norte.
Governor Jan Brewer: Oh, can’t you join with me and let us together face just a little bit of peril for America?
Governor Rick Perry: No. It’s unhealthy.
Governor Jan Brewer: I bet you’re gay.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Jimbo3 on April 30, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Was that supposed to be a surprise?

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Wow, I was saying the same thing about Phoenix before I left there. No one who saw the beauty of it 40 years ago would recognize it today, it looks like Nogales now except with more freeways.

Flash from the past…can’t let it happen here.

sloopy on April 30, 2010 at 10:03 PM

There’re good and bad Americans too, you know. In general, I think the native-borns have a far large sense of entitlement–the worst moral sin in my opinion.

Of course, illegal immigration is a major problem. When you have penniless people showing up here owing coyotes thousand for their passage, of course a sizable chunk will end up turning to crime out of desperation.

You think coyotes have a payment plan? Um, no. They get paid in advance.

I just don’t think it likely that those already criminal-minded would make the effort to come into the US and deal with our superior law-enforcement, when they could very easily remain criminals in Mexico. I see the number of illegal immigrants as the problem, not the illegal immigrants themselves. Their demonization is neither just or helpful.

Our law enforcement is not that much more superior. They have just as many smart people there. The reason criminals are enticed to come to the United States is the same reason why thieves go to rich neighborhoods. You don’t go to the ghetto to rob houses. The drug trade is due to the insatiable demand in the United States.

And to answer your question: No, I do not see any correlation between the decline of our culture and our immigration policy. My opinion is, in fact, the exact opposite. I’m somewhat of an anti-nativist. I think it’s it’s Americans taking the freedom and riches they enjoy for granted who are destroying our culture. Some unnamed Jose isn’t destory our culture. It’s people like Ayers and Chomski. Heck, if I could choose, I would rather have a real born-and-bred Kenyan as president over the amoral clown that we have now, the embodiment of the worst aspects of our national character.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM

We can disagree about the cause of our culture declining because it’s purely an opinion. There will never be a satisfactory explanation because of all the moving parts.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Yep

Everyone was making excuses for Perry’s stance when he was running against Hutchinson in the Republican primary…hmmm his wide stance on illegal aliens. Of course he suxed up to the Tea Party Folks, and they apparently don’t get that this guy doesn’t change his stripes. He was elected to make sure the NAFTA Superhighway goes through and he has done a very good job of it.

People get the government they deserve, Thomas Jefferson.

We have Hutchinson, Cornyn and Perry, down here, the pickins are slim to none.

If Texas goes Democrat people will know why –

The Three Amigos I listed above “All Hat and No Cattle”

Dr Evil on April 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I’ve said this before…….RICK PERRY IS A RINO.

He’s a friend of the Bush Fam and an OPEN BORDERS / NAFTA / NORTH AMERICAN UNION supporter.

The open borders thing alone is enough to disqualify him.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Perry may beis not a follower of the Crist School of Politics.

faraway on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I’ve said this before…….RICK PERRY IS NOT A RINO.

He’s used to be a friend of the Bush Fam and an OPEN BORDERS / NAFTA / NORTH AMERICAN UNION supporter, as were a lot of Republicans.

He does not believe in The open borders thing alone is enough to disqualify him.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I totally disagree with both of these posts. Perry was a friend of the Bush family, but they had a falling out when GW became a big spender as President, and if you had paid attention to the primaries, the Bushes and the Cheney’s supported Kay Bailey RINO Hutchison, not Perry.
I wish Perry backed the Arizona law more strongly, but he didn’t say he was against it, just that it was not right for Texas at this time. He is for enforcing the border and building the fence, (which was stopped by the way, by the Feds).
If Perry loses, we get a Democrat. No matter how nice of a guy Bill White may be, he is a Democrat, and the Dems in the Texas House and Senate can be just as liberal as the Dems in Congress. If we let them take over Texas, we will see a State Income Tax in the very near future, as well as many other liberal changes.

Susanboo on May 1, 2010 at 2:43 AM

I guess anyone can shoot a coyote – as long as it’s four legged.

Woody

woodcdi on May 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Perry is up for re-election against Bill White the
former Mayor of Houston. White turned Houston into a
sanctuary city. . . .I’m guessing Perry is keeping his
powder dry. White can be very sneaky.

Texyank on May 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Rick Perry turned me completely off when he wrote the executive order mandating the ‘fast tracked’ HPV vaccine for 11 year old girls in Texas. That was a HUGE disappointment. And I know he claims it wasn’t a mandate because people could opt out on concientious objector grounds. Doesn’t matter… Now this….I hope he doesn’t have national aspirations. He wouldn’t get any support from me.

pannw on May 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

What people fail to realize, is that its not a given that Rick Perry will win on 11/2/10. If he keeps vacillating there’s a good chance that many conservative voters will simply stay at home on election day. They’re already disgusted w/him. He can kill as many coyotes as he wants w/his Ruger 380, its not gonna help. democrat Bill White is only 4 point behind right now. Last go around in 06 Perry only won w/ 38% of the vote. DD

Darvin Dowdy on May 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM