Rick Perry: No Arizona-style immigration law for Texas, thanks

posted at 5:20 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Rick Perry awfully worried about the Latino vote in this year’s gubernatorial election.”

“I fully recognize and support a state’s right and obligation to protect its citizens, but I have concerns with portions of the law passed in Arizona and believe it would not be the right direction for Texas,” Perry said in a written statement.

“For example, some aspects of the law turn law enforcement officers into immigration officials by requiring them to determine immigration status during any lawful contact with a suspected alien, taking them away from their existing law enforcement duties, which are critical to keeping citizens safe.”…

Perry took heat during this year’s Republican primary for backing in-state tuition for illegal immigrants, saying in a debate that the students are on a path to citizenship.

In fairness, he’s called for Congress to provide border security before considering amnesty, and his concerns about cops getting bogged down in immigration policing aren’t unfounded. WaPo’s got several Arizona officers on record saying they’re too busy to go after illegals or worried about getting sued — by both sides — depending upon on how strictly or not strictly they enforce the law. The thing is, I’m not sure even the cops out there know the ins-and-outs of the statute yet. For instance:

“We’re way too busy,” Charlton said of the law’s requirement that police officers question anyone they reasonably suspect of being in the country illegally. “We don’t have enough officers on the street to look for other stuff like that. If they’re not doing anything, they’re just being normal people. Why would I do that?”…

The day after the Arizona legislature approved the bill, the police headquarters was flooded with phone calls. A typical complaint, according to Villaseñor, was this: “Hey, there are some Mexicans standing on the corner? You need to check them out.”

The police chief considered the requests “ridiculous” because “a lot of people stand on street corners.” Villaseñor, a Tucson native who joined the police force in 1980 and became chief last year, said he understands the frustrations but objects to the law on several levels.

Those requests are indeed ridiculous. The good news? The law doesn’t ask cops to act on them. As was made clear by yesterday’s revisions, only those who have been detained on suspicion of a crime are subject to it. Which is to say, it’s not “anyone” who has to worry; it’s people who are doing things that would normally attract a cop’s attention in the first place. It’s astounding that misinformation about the statute has penetrated so deeply that even Arizona police aren’t straight on it yet, but then, as Ed noted this morning, drafting the law clearly in the first place would have gone a long way towards solving that problem.

Elsewhere, Major League Baseball’s players union has denounced the law and hinted about taking “additional steps” if it’s not repealed or modified, by which I assume they mean boycotting the All-Star Game this year or something along those lines. In semi-related news, I will continue not watching baseball until October. Exit question: What’s Rick Perry going to do when Arizona’s illegals take the hint and head east?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Man up, Rick. Check the polls, and then try to remember what doing the right thing (not the PC thing) looks like.

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I will continue not watching baseball until October.

The Mets winning 7 in a row can’t get you to tune in for an inning? Or are you just waiting for the annual September collapse?

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

In semi-related news, I will continue not watching baseball until October

Me too… but I will be extremely pissed if MLB gives in… fark the unions…

ninjapirate on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Rick Perry is right. I have many illegal neighbors and I hardly ever have to shoot at them.

GoodBoy on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

So he would veto the one that’s been proposed for the next session, starting next January?

Keep in mind, our legislature only meets every two years, for 140 days, beginning in the month of January, in odd-numbered years (unless the governor calls a special session). Less mischief that way.

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

What??? So if I come to Texas from Ohio, I can’t get in-state tuition because I’m not a resident of Texas… but if I come in from Mexico, I can, even though I’m not a resident of Texas OR a US Citizen? Is that really what this was about?

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Exactly. Which is why I was shaking my head at Perry’s comments. The law doesn’t distract from police work, because you can ONLY begin the illegal immigrant stuff AFTER already addressing a normal violation of the law that they would’ve been engaged in anyway.

Yup. When Texas has a few dead ranchers on its hands, maybe we wont think too badly about Arizona.

Weight of Glory on April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

What I’d expect a leftie to do — flood the phone lines.

unclesmrgol on April 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

The question of the year!

What, indeed?
Until the feds (yes, Maobama, this means you and Congress!) get serious about closing and defending the borders and pass meaningful immigration reform for those illegals left behind after we’ve done so, the problem will continue.

Further problem is that to the Left and the Democrats, immigration reform means “amnesty.”
To the Right and Conservatives, it means “closed borders.”
Will the twain ever meet?

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Perry may be a follower of the Crist School of Politics.

faraway on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Adios, Rick.

Ronnie on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

When Texans have had enough, the Governor will change his mind. It is about the people of Texas and what they want.

d1carter on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

He is.

Mark1971 on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

The polls on this illegal immigration effort from Arizona show majorities *supporting* it. His comments put him on the opposite side of the fence from those majorities, do they not?

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Perry is like so many others on the issue of illegal immigration; they don’t want to provide amnesty, they don’t want mass deportations, they just want continue with the status quo while giving flowery speeches about “path to citizenship”, “hard working immigrants”, “melting pot of the world”, etc.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Pretty crappy huh? This is what decades of unfettered open borders has done. We have a hellhole socialist country to the south sending everyone here for us to take care of them. In fact … most illegals come from communist or socialist crap holes.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

As far as the gubernatorial race, White, Perry’s opponent, made Houston a sanctuary city.
(And Houston’s a lot closer to the “border” than Austin)
Need I say more?

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Atta boy, Rick. Suck up to those Texas illegals.

Fletch54 on April 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Weight of Glory on April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Already there. FBI: Kidnappings spike in Texas-Mexico border town.

publiuspen on April 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

If Arizona’s law stands then the pressure will increase on the remaining border states to do the same since the overflow will now be heading their way.

Hard cheese there, governor.

trapeze on April 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Poor Rick Perry , he thinks all those illegals who move from AZ into TX , will vote for him ;-)
Someone needs to tell him that they only vote for D and save him a huge future disappointment

Ask ACORN (or whatever the heck they are calling themseves these days ..)

macncheez on April 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Are we the only country that treats its law-abiding citizens worse than any other class of people, including criminals and terrorists?

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

It should be funny… but it’s just sad.

Act like a man Perry.

tetriskid on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I’m really suprised at this Perry seems like the one guy in the country who would support this.

lavell12 on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

SCUMBAG!!

OK this pisses me off. I live in Texas and it was hilarity that he was on Crapweek, er, Newsweek as being some sort of uber-right wing kinda guy. Laughable. I am sick and tired of living in a sanctuary city where the lawless can get away with anything and where local taxes continue to rise each year due to a declining tax base!!!!

Dick Turpin on April 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

And I repeat…

But you clowns don’t mind turning every businessman in the country into an immigration official, do ya.

I’m with Barry and Gary:

Don’t offer amnesty to those already here illegally. Sanctions against employers who hire illegal immigrants are unfair; it is the government’s responsibility to determine who is here legally.

Start a guest worker program to “channel the flow” of illegal immigrants through a legal mechanism.

Governor Johnson believes that the increase in crime along the borders is not due to illegal immigration, but to strict drug prohibition laws that provide increased leverage and power to Mexican drug cartels. “The problem is that the federal government is not able to do its job, because the current laws are just not enforceable. I respect Arizona taking action, and I believe strongly in states’ rights. But this law is just not well grounded. We need to implement an immigration policy that allows for better documentation and more easily obtainable permits for temporary guest workers to fill jobs that are available,” Johnson said…

Rae on April 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Every state is different. That is the whole point of a law like this, each state has a legislature and that legislature writes it laws.

If the state legislatures in Texas want something like this, they can work on it and deal with the political realities within their state.

Terrye on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I always consult with Major League Baseball before taking a position on national security-related issues.

amerpundit on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Already there. FBI: Kidnappings spike in Texas-Mexico border town.

publiuspen on April 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Dang. You got a link?

Weight of Glory on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I’m shocked, SHOCKED, to discover that Rick Perry, who was George W. Bush’s handpicked successor as Texas governor and tried to shove the Trans-Texas Corridor down our throats, is against the Arizona law.

Some other startling news – the sky is blue and grass in green.

Phildorex on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

It’s certainly no “adios, Rick” deal. The Governor of Texas isn’t anywhere near as powerful as in some States, so cool your jets on that one. Of course he’s watching the polls; who doesn’t, but remember that Perry was strongly in favor of securing the border long before any of this current crap hit the fan, and he still is. Texans are a heavily armed lot; they won’t accept murdered ranchers, not for a minute. I’m thinking any illegal with half a brain will head for California before taking on those “cowboys with guns” in Texas.

GoldenEagle4444 on April 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Once 0bama has turned us into one, where will they go then?

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

No, muslims get far better treatment in Euro countries … especially the UK, than their citizens. Seems like a theme in western countries.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Dick Turpin on April 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Do you live in Houston?

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Once 0bama has turned us into one, where will they go then?

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Nowhere … we’ll all just live in our respective socialist or communist crap hole.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Disappointment in Perry? Too bad so sad Texas conservatives bought the lies about Medina that the smear merchant, tea party-loathing establishment put out there.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda, establishment dupes!

Rae on April 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

lavell12 on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Apparently he thinks he needs Hispanic votes to win the next election.

I hate politicians.

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Tap meet Dance.

Texuhs staahl.

profitsbeard on April 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Some other startling news – the sky is blue and grass in green.

Phildorex on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Hmm, as a fellow Texan, I seem to recall Perry being elected as Lieutenant Governor when Bush was Governor. Didn’t he then become Governor when Bush left to go to DC, and then hasn’t Perry won elections to retain the seat since then?

Where is the ‘handpicked successor’ part of the equation?

I’ve got beefs a-plenty with Perry, but let’s not get silly about it.

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

So the MLB players union might boycott the game? Gee, I won’t get to waste 4+ hours of my life watching the crap. How will I cope?

changer1701 on April 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

“Perry is like a cartoon version of what somebody in New York or Virginia thinks a Texas should act like.
tetriskid on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM”

You got VA all wrong tetriskid. You are thinking about N.VA. That’s where all the DC denizens reside and foul up the place. We keep trying to get rid of these @#$#% or get them to secede. Many, many Yankees living there with their leftwing ways. No offense all you conservative Yanks, but keep your libs at home, OK?

JimP on April 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Another POS that would rather see his Country go down the toilet than lose an election.

I’m curious about the polling numbers after the big protests tomorrow…These people are their own worst enemy.

repvoter on April 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

The TX legislature doesn’t meet until next year…they have a way of correcting Rick when he goes astray.
We’ll see.

For those of you unhappy with Rick over this, White would be far, far worse.
Trust me on this one.
In addition to making Houston a sanctuary city, he invited in thousands of Katrina refugees, quite of few of whom were/are criminals.
The murder and crime rate in Houston went up accordingly.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Rae:

I don’t think they are turning every businessman into an immigration official. I mean it is totally ridiculous to complain about people hiring illegals and then say they are being turned into immigration officials if you tell them not to hire illegals.

But those employers are only responsible for their own businesses, not everyone else’s.

The truth is it is not really fair in many ways to expect local cops to have to do this job. That is especially true when they work in big cities with huge hispanic populations. But the people of Arizona want this law and so they passed in that state.

We will see what happens in Texas, they might come up with their own law not just like the one in Arizona. I am sure they are capable of making that decision themselves.

Terrye on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Trust me. We Texans are at the boiling point. If the illegal pull the same kind of garbage they’ve been pulling in Arizona, they’ll find a world of pain waiting for them.

madmonkphotog on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

madmonkphotog on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Estimated 200k to march tomorrow in Dallas alone.

News media will show an endless parade of lawbreakers expressing their demands on the rest of us.

Probably won’t be much ‘pain’ for them tomorrow at any rate. Maybe down the road if it pisses off enough people.

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I got news for you, we already have a pretty bad border situation with criminal gangs coming across and killing targeted people. I cannot believe he said this today and makes me think he is protecting himself for a Presidential run. I voted for Perry but I am certainly not happy with him now. Someone said it a couple of different posts above and I will paraphrase them.

Man up Rick Perry, it is about the people of Texas and not your long term political career.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

He’ll do what he’s always done, pretend to be a tough on border enforcement conservative while in reality being an open borders opportunistic ex-democrat. The only difference between Rick Perry and Mike Huckabee is Perry has better hair and is better at lying and covering his a**.

clearbluesky on April 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Personally, I’ve never quite understood the emotions behind the nativist stance. What is so scared about being born in this country? William Ayers was born in the US. Why does this bastard who hates our country have the right to be here whereas a someone from south of the border, risking his life journeying across barren desert to be here, has no claim? Illegal immigrants aren’t destroying our country. These people work. When you sit down to dinner tonight, there’s food on the table thanks to illegal immigrants. There’s a roof over your head probably thanks to illegal immigrants. Why do people have to be so darn vicious towards people who simply want to be in our country?

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Atta boy, Rick. Suck up to those Texas illegals.

Fletch54 on April 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I don’t think that is really fair. Chances are it has more to do with the reaction of law enforcement than the illegals. People seem to think the only reason Perry would say this is to cover his ass politically, and yet truth be told he could probably get more political support by being tough on this issue. So politics might not be the only reason. After all, look at the way the Arizona Governor’s numbers went up.

If Texans want a law like that, then they need to pressure their state reps and let them pass a law that will work in Texas. Let them put more pressure on the feds too to help pay for it.

Just the other day I heard that Perry had asked for more troops on the border, he is not ignoring the issue.

Terrye on April 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

We’ll see.

For those of you unhappy with Rick over this, White would be far, far worse.
Trust me on this one.
The murder and crime rate in Houston went up accordingly.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I agree with you, White would be terrible and I certainly did not want Kay either. I think he needs to wake up, the border situation is bad here, he knows and we know it.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 5:55 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Why do people have to be so lenient towards those who don’t even have the decency to come here legally? There’s plenty of immigrants who respect this country enough to follow it’s laws and come here legally, the ones who come here illegally just make it harder for them. And feel free to come here to Texas and watch as it whole areas get turned into spanish only little mexicos because of illegals, they don’t assimilate, immigrants who come here legally do.

clearbluesky on April 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

changer1701 on April 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Many of the higher salaried ones chosen boycott it anyway. Afraid of injuries. The whole thing could be scrapped at no great loss.

a capella on April 30, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Wow, I guess when it comes to cojones, not everything in Texas is bigger…joking…

Badbrucskie on April 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

What??? So if I come to Texas from Ohio, I can’t get in-state tuition because I’m not a resident of Texas… Correct but if I come in from Mexico, I can, even though I’m not a resident of Texas OR a US Citizen? Incorrect. Is that really what this was about? FAIL

You go to high school here, graduate here, get accepted to state college or university, you get in-state tuition.

blogRot on April 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Coward.

rrpjr on April 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Illegals cost taxpayers billions and are a major factor in rising health care costs. Many are quite the “nativists” themselves and don’t care about living here, becoming a citizen or learning english. They get free school, health care and special rights.

Illegals also account for a significant portion of the incarcerated and they’re being taught to hate whites, blacks, the US, and that we “owe” them the Southwest.

It appears viciousness goes both ways.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Man up? Are you kidding me? Anyone who uses that much hairspray needs a lot more advice than man up. Just sayin, and BTW I am really glad I did not vote for him.

txmomof6 on April 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Uss should replace err in Risks last name!

Cybergeezer on April 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM

RINO! lol

It's Vintage, Duh on April 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM

For those of you unhappy with Rick over this, White would be far, far worse.
Trust me on this one.
The murder and crime rate in Houston went up accordingly.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Jenfidel is right. I live just outside of Houston and believe me if White gets elected there will be a major push for amnesty.

Yes, Perry is playing it safe because right now he needs to.

redridinghood on April 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Poppycock! Drivel!

You’re painting some really, really broad strokes with that brush.
Are there good illegal aliens? Sure. Are there bad ones? Sure.

But it doesn’t negate the fact we have an immigration policy in place for a reason. Can you guess what that reason is?

Another question, do you think the correlation between the liberalization of immigration and the decline of our culture is coincidental?

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

perry:ruh roh

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Nice retort; But, there’s also the underground economy they thrive in which is tax free and has enough revenue to cancel the U.S. debt.
There are concrete figures of how much money is sent to Mexico every year; The U.S. should send Mexico a bill for unpaid taxes.

Cybergeezer on April 30, 2010 at 6:07 PM

For all those in Houston Michael Berry is on the radio talking about the “Major” LULAC protest. They are all afraid because Michael Berry threatened to call ICE on them….hilarious.

redridinghood on April 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Why do people have to be so darn vicious towards people criminals who simply want to be in our country in your house?

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

You still want them? Because they are criminals and in Arizona the people are scared to leave their property for any amount of time due to thieves and at the same time are scared to stay because of same thieves or worse. They stay because it is their hard work and property at stake. Here is a question for you ..

Why do people not understand the civil right of a United States Citizen to expect his government to protect him and for same Citizen to feel safe at home?

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Character is getting harder and harder to find, the disappointments and piling up.

tarpon on April 30, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Anyone who just came in on The Rick Perry Story during the past year — when he was playing up to the right and social conservatives to co-opt any chance Kay Bailey Hutchison had to win the GOP primary in March — got played, used, suckered, taken to the bank, hosed. Chumps.

If you had been paying attention to Perry since at least 2006, you knew if the polls came back saying the only way he could lose in November to Bill White was if there was a huge Latino turnout based on the immigration issue, you knew Rick was going to chuck whatever principles he had shown on illegal immigration over the past 18 months in the nearest dumpster. It the exact same reason why in 2006, with Bell, Kinky and Scott McClellan’s mom scaring the hell out of him in that governor’s race, he lurched to the left at the start of the 2007 Texas Legislature session, pushing the eminent domain land seizures for the Trans-Texas Corridor toll road projects and pushing the state-mandated cervial cancer vaccines for 12-year-olds, because Perry thought Texas was trending left, and wanted to beat the voters to the spot. Because Rick Perry always knows which way the wind blows. Always.

As long as Obama’s in the White House and the Democrats in D.C. are disliked as they are, Perry’s not going to move very far left in the current election cycle. But he knows he has no challenger on the right in November and simply decided making a statement like this makes sure White doesn’t get a new pool of engaged Hispanic voters (but like I said on another thread last night, if the Mexico violence spills across the border and you suddenly see a bunch of people dead one day in the Sunland Park Mall in El Paso for example, Rick’s stance on illegal aliens will suddenly make Arizona governor Jan Brewer’s stance on the issue look like she’s Janet Napolitano).

jon1979 on April 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Got to keep them illegals happy hey Gov.

thmcbb on April 30, 2010 at 6:19 PM

…but if I come in from Mexico, I can…

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Not if you came in from Mexico legally.

exception on April 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

“We’re way too busy,”

One of the reasons that they are way too busy, is because of the crime, hit and run’s, DWI’s and such, by illegal immigrants.

Johan Klaus on April 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Here is some perspective

Has any “hispanic” or ” latino” or ” immigrant” or
” civil rights” group ever apologized to families of these officers ? Ever ?

Has Al Sharpton or Shakira ever said sorry to the friends and families of these brave men and women ? Do they plan to do so in the near future ? Ever ?

macncheez on April 30, 2010 at 6:25 PM

RINO! Good thing he was outed now instead of when everyone was touting him for president. If they have 200K marching tomorrow, why don’t they just keep going South and don’t stop til they hit Mexico City.

Kissmygrits on April 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM

For those of you that voted for our tea party-themed GoDaddy.com Super Bowl
commercial, thanks much!!

But please don’t give us a “1″ rating because we don’t have any GoDaddy babes in it, thinking it will help us. It actually brings down the overall rating. :(

The Zoo Keeper on April 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Some of y’all are awfully fair weather folks.

When it was Rick v. Kay, it was all about how RINO Kay was. Now Rick is a RINO and has to go.

Just because a pol doesn’t agree with y’all 100% of the time, its “off with their heads”. I won’t go into the illegal alien thing again, but if a local government wanted to do it, they could really crack down on the illegals. IIRC, Sheriff Joe in Arizona is what got their law started. The laws already exist, but the Fed’s are balking at the job.

I heard about the kidnappings, McAllen I think. And it is bad, mostly because of the violence just across the river. And while I don’t agree with the in state tuition, most of those kids have been here their entire school age years and their families have paid school taxes that entire time (even if they rent, the rent covers the property taxes for the owner).

When the legislature passes a law similar to the Arizona law, then it will be time to bag Perry if he doesn’t sign it. For now, its just another topic to gripe at another state about.

Its the fault of the feds for not doing what they are constitutionally obligated to do, while sticking their claws into things aren’t supposed to be into. Direct your ire accordingly.

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

They broke the law by coming here, they break the law every day that they are here; by not paying taxes, driving without a license and insurance, filing false government forms, ect., ect., ect., ………..Try any of those things and see if you do not suffer the consequences.

Johan Klaus on April 30, 2010 at 6:32 PM

This is a smart move by Rick. Personally, I know he would adopt the Arizona statute in a minute, and put it on steroids.

He’s not pandering for MA votes here, just trying to keep the noise down, noise which could benefit his opponent, Bill White, who was Texas Democratic Party Chairman, then Mayor of Houston, and, who I might add, is a smart campaigner. He knows, like Billy Jeff, how to sound conservative or centrist, and we don’t him picking up freebies from outraged MAs who’ll otherwise sit this election out.

TXUS on April 30, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Just imagine if Perry had been a governor of one of the 13 original colonies.

“The Declaration of Independence is not right for my state”.
- Governor Perry

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Brave Governor Perry ran away
Bravely, ran away…away…
When danger reared its ugly head
He bravely turned his tail and fled
Yes, brave Governor Perry turned about
And gallantly he chickened out
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat
Bravest of the brave, Governor Perry

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Some of y’all are awfully fair weather folks.

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Good point … you’re right.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You’re painting some really, really broad strokes with that brush. Are there good illegal aliens? Sure. Are there bad ones? Sure.

ButterflyDragon on April 30, 2010 at 6:05 PM

There’re good and bad Americans too, you know. In general, I think the native-borns have a far large sense of entitlement–the worst moral sin in my opinion.

Of course, illegal immigration is a major problem. When you have penniless people showing up here owing coyotes thousand for their passage, of course a sizable chunk will end up turning to crime out of desperation. I just don’t think it likely that those already criminal-minded would make the effort to come into the US and deal with our superior law-enforcement, when they could very easily remain criminals in Mexico. I see the number of illegal immigrants as the problem, not the illegal immigrants themselves. Their demonization is neither just or helpful.

And to answer your question: No, I do not see any correlation between the decline of our culture and our immigration policy. My opinion is, in fact, the exact opposite. I’m somewhat of an anti-nativist. I think it’s it’s Americans taking the freedom and riches they enjoy for granted who are destroying our culture. Some unnamed Jose isn’t destory our culture. It’s people like Ayers and Chomski. Heck, if I could choose, I would rather have a real born-and-bred Kenyan as president over the amoral clown that we have now, the embodiment of the worst aspects of our national character.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM

This is the difference between a Sarah Palin and a Rick Perry candidate. One sticks to their principles despite the nasty comments that come from the “lame stream media”. The other will only issue policy statements when there is no other alternative, get consensus speech writing, and do what is in his best interest versus maintaining principles. Sorry Rick. You don’t define the choices your constituents take up. It’s not your SOLE decision. Remember the will of the people or lose your power.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Governor Rick Perry: I did the safe thing. You are in great peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: I don’t think I am.
Governor Rick Perry: Yes, you are. You are in terrible peril.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, let us both stand up for our states and for America and together face any peril.
Governor Rick Perry: No, it’s too perilous.
Governor Jan Brewer: Look, it’s our duty as Governors of American states to sample a little peril in the service of our states and America.
Governor Rick Perry: No, we’ve got to find a way to just submit and become Mexico el Norte.
Governor Jan Brewer: Oh, can’t you join with me and let us together face just a little bit of peril for our states and for America?
Governor Rick Perry: No. It’s unhealthy.
Governor Jan Brewer: I bet you’re gay.
Governor Rick Perry: Am not.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

No, that’s not it at all. It’s about having principled, reliable politicians who say what they mean and mean what they say. We’ve all had enough of the politicians who do what is in the best interest of themselves and screw the good voting folks who work hard to earn a dollar and play by the rules. If you can’t stand up to your principles and take the heat for it then get the freaking heck out of dodge. It’s not my responsibility to “understand” the reasons a Conservative sets aside his ideology and principles in order to get elected. It’s up to them to prove to me they are trustworthy enough to earn my respect and my vote.

I’m not interesting in having a Grahamnesty or a Specter for that matter who gets voted in on a lie and does the bidding of the opposition. You’re either Conservative and a Capitalist or you’re not. There really isn’t a middle ground as much as Leftist like to make a case for it.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I’m sorry, but illegals know they’re breaking our laws. They also know that if they go to a ER that they’ll be seen … on the taxpayers dime. They take full advantage of “sanctuary” cities and take jobs from American citizens.

No one is “demonizing” illegals … we’re calling it as it is. They’re breaking the law and placing an enormous burden on the taxpayer, not to mention our medical system. LA County alone spends millions every year just for birthing and caring for children born to illegals.

The sad part is I know many are good, hard working people … but I also know many aren’t and come here to take full advantage of our politically correct weakened society.

They are imposing themselves here. Something needs to be done.

What’s with this “nativist” crap anyway? People are free to immigrate here legally. Also, some of the worst “nativists” are illegals themselves who refuse to embrace the country they supposedly want to become a citizen of, much less speak it’s language.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I never can think of Judas Iscariot without losing my temper. To my mind Judas Iscariot was nothing but a low, mean, premature, Governor Rick Perry.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

clearbluesky on April 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Our current immigration is system is based on blood-ties. If someone has not the fortune of having a relative here, then they’re out of luck. No matter how hard one tries, no matter how well one speaks English and knows everything about Mark Twain, no matter how pro-American a person’s political views are, you cannot get into the country. In fact, our consulate staff actively reject travel visas to those who love America most–because there’s a higher probability that they’d stay.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

This is the difference between a Sarah Palin and a Rick Perry candidate.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Palin’s hands are not exactly clean in all of this.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

…the smallest minds and the selfishest souls and the cowardliest hearts that God makes.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Read in our paper today that Oklahoma legislators will consider filing an immigration bill this session that will be tougher than Arizona’s. Love these two additions: will confiscate their vehicles if they are stopped for a traffic violation and have no driver’s license or insurance, and prevent children from becoming citizens at birth if both parents are illegal aliens. Rush was saying today that Arizona’s bill calls for ending all ethnic studies in schools and no one can teach English that has a foreign accent.

silvernana on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

cozmo on April 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

But the feds will malign anyone and unleash their rented thugs on whoever is actually doing something totally lawful and constitutional ….

AZ lawmakers are just doing the job feds won’t do . Now where have I heard this excuse before ????

macncheez on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Daggett on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Yes. A fair number of states have done this. If you are a legal resident of the state even though you are a US citizen you pay higher tuition rates than the children of illegals. Welcome to the real world of leftist politics.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Say some more things like a sissy girl, Governor Perry. Swing … your … hips. Make them sway and flap your wings.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

if you are = if you aren’t

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

That’s very inaccurate. Anyone can sponsor someone who want to immigrate here.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I wonder if Governor Perry knows the Alamo is in Texas. I guess it’s still in Texas. Personally, I think it should be moved to Arizona.

MB4 on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM

I didn’t known our national character encompassed third world Indonesian teachings, communist teachings and Black liberation theology. The training that the amoral character you are referring too underwent.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Maybe it’s news to you, but more than half of Americans don’t pay federal income tax. Yet these people get to vote. They get to legally take from us what we earn. Is it just because it’s the law? ObamaCare is the law of the land now. Should people be kicked out of the country if they refuse to obey the mandate?

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

You mean like keeping them safe from criminal illegal immigrants?

xblade on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

That’s very inaccurate. Anyone can sponsor someone who want to immigrate here.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

If you’re ready to marry that person…

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM