Palin on oil spill: We must continue to drill, baby, drill

posted at 6:55 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

A noble effort, especially given Alaska’s experience with the Valdez, but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

As an Alaskan, I can speak from the heart about the tragedy of an oil spill. For as long as I live, I will never forget the day the Exxon-Valdez ran aground on Bligh Reef and millions of gallons of North Slope crude poured into the waters of our beautiful Prince William Sound. The spill was devastating to so many Alaskans who, like my own family, make their living on the water from our commercial fishing industry. “Heartbreaking” was the word my husband Todd, an Alaska Native and trained oil spill responder, used to describe the scene as we watched it unfold on land and water that we feel is sacred…

In the coming days, there will be hearings to discover the cause of the explosion and the subsequent leak. Actions will be taken to increase oversight to prevent future accidents. Government can and must play an appropriate role here. If a company was lax in its prevention practices, it must be held accountable. It is inexcusable for any oil company to not invest in preventative measures. They must be held accountable or the public will forever distrust the industry…

All responsible energy development must be accompanied by strict oversight, but even with the strictest oversight in the world, accidents still happen. No human endeavor is ever without risk – whether it’s sending a man to the moon or extracting the necessary resources to fuel our civilization. I repeat the slogan “drill here, drill now” not out of naiveté or disregard for the tragic consequences of oil spills – my family and my state and I know firsthand those consequences. How could I still believe in drilling America’s domestic supply of energy after having seen the devastation of the Exxon-Valdez spill? I continue to believe in it because increased domestic oil production will make us a more secure, prosperous, and peaceful nation.

The White House insists that Axelrod was misinterpreted this morning when he said there’s a freeze on new drilling; apparently, production drilling that’s currently in the works is still okay. I’ve got a feeling that position won’t hold, though. This harrowing AP story on the spill makes the case — convincingly — that it could be one of the worst man-made environmental calamities in modern history, like some sort of oily Chernobyl. The type of oil that was being drilled is especially crude and gooey; the type of marshlands at risk in Louisiana are especially fragile and hard to clean; and because the exploded part underwater is actually a live well, there’s theoretically no limit to how much oil can leak from it. Unlike the Valdez, whose supply was finite, it’ll just keep bubblin’ up until they cap it. (That’ll be the argument for why we need to go back to importing oil instead of drilling our own.) Louisiana’s already opened shrimp season early to let fishermen catch what they can in case the local supply gets wiped out. How do you think the “drill, baby, drill” movement will be doing a month from now if there’s a small black sea growing in the Gulf of Mexico?

More good news: Apparently there are three separate breaks in the rig from which oil is flowing. Experts say that’s not a sign that the riser will collapse and that the flow will increase, but stay tuned. As for the politics of it, our liberal betters who blamed George Bush for every misfortune to befall the world for eight years are now on the lookout for crazed wingnuts attempting to blame this somehow on Obama. I won’t take the bait, but do read lefty Michael Roston’s post on how the federal agency charged with policing oil producers has been preoccupied lately with … green energy.

Update: CBS notices that, aside from Palin and Bob McDonnell, Republicans are being awfully quiet about further drilling thus far.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Big thumbs up, buddy. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Frankly, as a professional in the O&G industry for the past 32 years with hundreds of drilled wells under my belt, I’m appalled by the ignorance displayed on this thread. If you folks want to get a better feel for just what happened here, I suggest you link to that Mark Levin interview with “James”. If you want to whine about the slow government response to this accident, I’d like to point out that there was minimal spill while the drillship was still afloat and its riser maintained structural integrity. The flowing oil and gas was being consumed by the fire. Efforts to put out the fire by pouring water on it may very well have contributed to swamping and sinking the drillship which then twisted the riser onto itself as the ship sank to the sea floor. Drilling in deep water where you are a mile removed from the well head is as complex and challenging as brain surgery or rocket science.

Eff Cliffy on May 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I am with you!

bluemarlin on May 1, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Amen Eff. I worked on crewboats and workboats 20 years ago in the gulf, and when I heard the rig sank so did my heart. Someone got overzealous with putting out the fire instead of thinking out the issue of the oil. Jeez, just watch “Hellfighters”. John Wayne would tell you don’t put out a fire until you’re ready to cap it.

itsspideyman on May 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Four-Fourths (4/4) of your statements are irrelevant….
Inanemergencydial on May 1, 2010 at 12:20 AM

…he says while responding to an “irrelevant” comment directed at somebody else.

The Race Card on May 1, 2010 at 2:40 AM

I happened to catch Mark Levin this evening. They received a call from a gentleman who was working on the oil rig when the explosion occurred. They verified his identity off air, but would not reveal his real name.

The conversation was fascinating in that he explained exactly what happened. This was not an instance of deliberate sabotage.

This is a dangerous and extremely volatile job that is constantly in a state of flux and requires accuracy of pressure readings and working condition of their equipment.

This gentleman also discussed how they would need to cap the well below the water’s surface, which is another dangerous situation as they are dealing with thousands of pounds of pressure. I am not a technical person, but his description of what needed to happen was riveting.

We are so wrapped up in the political discourse and snarking about what the Toddler-in-Chief may do, we have forgotten that 11 people lost their lives that day.

This caller lost 11 friends that day and now he will be faced with answering to the stupid pols yakking and whining about something they know absolutely nothing about.

Next thing you know, some moronic liberal political hack will write up some insipid bird cage fodder about how the government needs to step in and save the oil drilling industry from itself. If this happens, better oil up the Schwinn.

CattyConservative on May 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM

With a title (alone) that reads like this, how did I know that Allahpundit wrote it?

And why, exactly did you choose your name, Allahsomething?

Truly. Inquiring minds want to know.

Opinionator on May 1, 2010 at 3:55 AM

Allah bs……..why would you choose that name to begin with?

Why?

And instead of focusing on Palin, why not focus on the 9 days
that ObamaAllah failed to act?

Waiting………..I will not repeat your ‘name’.

Opinionator on May 1, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Here’s a couple of minor items….

1. Natural seepage was more than the spills we’ve had. Since we’ve started drilling in the oceans, we’ve converted these natural seepages to wells. We have less oil released into the oceans than we would WITHOUT offshore oil activities.

2. If this spill had happened 50 miles offshore, I live in Cape Coral, Florida and fish out there, that is approximately 150′ of water. The options for getting to and fixing a problem in water that shallow would be much more than in 5,000′. Forcing drilling to be so far offshore actually creates more of an opportunity for a more severe problem than permitting them to drill in shallower water.

CC

CapedConservative on May 1, 2010 at 6:23 AM

but I think she’s fighting a losing battle

Haven’t you always thought that?

Par.

Sure we have a mess. A big mess. In the Book of Proverbs the sage writes, “Where there are no oxen, the stalls are clean.”

We will learn from this disaster, and be better prepared the next time.

Stuff happens. I mean, it’s not like millions of unborn babies are going to die.

davidk on May 1, 2010 at 6:35 AM

I talked about $14 a gallon gas here at HotAir back when we were discussing if MackDaddy would order our troops to shoot down Israeli fighter/bombers if they went after Iran.

This spill alone will cause enough angst among day traider to send oil futures sky high. Gas will be over $4/gallon.

And if Iran farts, I may have been optmistic about $14 gallon gas.

Vegetable canning companies are dumping last years supplies to make warehouse room for this year’s harvest, so you can find some (relatively) good deals in canned veggies about now.

And don’t talked about what you have stored up, or you will need more ammo–to protect your storehouse.

Things like coffee are good barter items. Wouldn’t hurt to have barter stuff around.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

And I, too, would like to know why MakDaddy sent swat teams out.

davidk on May 1, 2010 at 7:07 AM

Same old reactionary thinking on the left to further hamstring America. I read about the Bakken Field in North Dakota and Montana, which supposedly has something like a thousand times more petroleum than the Middle East had to start with….Why not in the news?

Look at one of the charts with the hundreds of oil wells in the Gulf. One has an accident(do you remember the last one? I sure don’t)and everyone on the left wants to go to horse and buggy. Clean the damn thing up, and move forward. Find the reason that there was a disaster to start with and act accordingly. Ameicans, especially those on the left have forgotten what it means to be American. Instead of whining and being generally stupid, grow some balls, roll up your sleeves and get your ass to work to make America number one, where it deserves to be.

Sorry for my rant. I just watched the Bill Maher show, and it’s hard to handle that kind of Non-Think first thing in the morning without any coffee yet….

adamsmith on May 1, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Allah bs……..why would you choose that name to begin with?

Why?

Do you really have to ask that question? Here’s why.

Pablo on May 1, 2010 at 9:24 AM

This was a state of the art, floating exploration rig that suddenly explodes. They can’t seem to get the flow capped. We’re already being warned about $4 gas, and it won’t stop at that price. The federal govmint ignores the disaster for 10 days. Don’t tell me this wasn’t a set up.

Kissmygrits on May 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I pray for the days Allapundit is not posting articles here.

rlwo2008 on May 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Below is a fairly technical and dispassionate analysis re the Gulf deepwater well accident and the safety features of the site. It includes diagrams and photos.

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I thank the oil and gas experts in our midst for shedding light on the situation and largely putting the sabotage theories to rest; as I mentioned initially, I’m always open to being persuaded but cynicism is a natural state for me. I’ll admit that it crossed my mind on 9/11 that someone other than al-Qaeda could have been involved, but I like to keep an open mind and I think the evidence bears out that’s not true. I think this is the difference between garden-variety suspiciousness and outright trutherism. Truthers cling to their theories even when there is nothing to support them except their wild imaginations.

That being said, I don’t think it’s necessary to describe people as being ignorant merely for having suspicions. We simply aren’t in the oil and gas business so how would we know what is possible and what isn’t? I wouldn’t scorn any of y’all for knowing jack shyte about what I do for a living. And I believe any thinking person would have to admit the timing is terribly, terribly convenient for an administration that is pretty hostile to any sort of energy production that isn’t green.

NoLeftTurn on May 1, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Well done, Sarah.

Actually, I was surprised by my very Green, liberal son who said, “That’s the cost of doing business, unfortunately.”

So I’m not so sure people are going to automatically wish to stop drilling.

AnninCA on May 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Well done, Sarah.

So I’m not so sure people are going to automatically wish to stop drilling.

AnninCA on May 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Dittos Ann.

AP thinks about posing, just like a politician. Krauthammer is declaring drilling dead but Sarah isn’t following the pundits. She leads by telling us what we need to hear, I paraphrase, “Accidents happen. Man up and get on with it.”

Damn, she’s getting better all the time.

For you Romney lovers, just wait, as soon as his polling’s done he’ll have something to say.

rcl on May 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Damn, she’s getting better all the time.

rcl on May 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

I’ve been watching and waiting for her to say or do something “politiciany”and posture like most of them do. She has yet to disappoint me. Like her or not, she’s authentic.

ncborn on May 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Make me rich Barack make me rich !

Buying Plains Exploration & Production Company, George Soros Is Betting on Rising Oil Price

William Amos on May 1, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Maybe this was a setup like the housing bubble was.

Hey if your gonna drill near critical areas, why not have a barge or two full of barrier to deploy to seal off the issue a little huh? Drill baby drill, yes, but brains baby brains too while your drilling.

johnnyU on May 1, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Has any other prominent Republican spoken out in support of AZ Gov. Jan Brewer?

Sarah Palin: a .45 caliber woman in a world of .22 caliber RINO males. I saw her this morning making a speech in Clarkston, MI at an Americans for Prosperity event. She was great.

bw222 on May 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM

rcl on May 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM

We have a thread winner here!!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on May 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM

That oil is just trying to sneak across the border. Not this time, bub.

BDavis on May 1, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I pray for the days Allapundit is not posting articles here.

rlwo2008 on May 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

They could replace Allah with William Ayers and no one would notice.

bw222 on May 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM

When will more people here realize and admit that neither Allapundit nor they are conservatives. NEOSTATISTS!

Eyas on May 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Sarah and Charles are both right. Drilling is dead in the sense that Obama’s fake exploration initiative was…well…fake. There weren’t going to be any new wells under his plan; the language of the proposal made sure of that. This spill just gives him an excuse to back off entirely. The Left has too much strategy invested in alternative energy to ever support legacy energy production.

Sarah is right in that to any SANE person, the accident doesn’t change a darn thing about the realities of energy production, and while a tragic accident, it’s no excuse for overhauling our energy policy.

The Dems are all about overhauling things. Overhaul health care, overhaul Wall Street, overhaul energy. Well, they’ll be getting a nice hopey-changey overhaul in about 7 months.

rbk2000 on May 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Sarah Is Right! Drill baby drill!

dhunter on May 1, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Breaking: It is alleged that the oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico was torpedoed by a North Korean submarine launched from Cuba.

Emperor Norton on May 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM

We have to continue to use our own resources for oil.

Period.

As a Nation, we won’t last long with out it.

Kini on May 1, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Honestly, who cares about the environmental damage? My primary concern is (in addition to the 11 lives lost) the amount of oil we’re losing that isn’t making it into the supply chain. We need all the domestic oil we can get – so, yes, Drill Baby Drill!

KSgop on May 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

On second thought, don’t click that link above at

Emperor Norton on May 1, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Here’s what macncheez says:

BUT
PLZ DO NOT CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK UNLESS COMPUTER HAS THE BESTEST SECURITY

macncheez on May 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Emperor Norton on May 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Damn! Sarah is one of the very few politicians in America who have both the intelligence and the courage to talk sense! Thanks for you, Lady!

materialist on May 2, 2010 at 1:48 AM

OH NOES YOU NEED MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION HEADS EXPLODE AT HOTAIR

THANKS FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS PALIN

Dave Rywall on May 2, 2010 at 2:08 AM

OH NOES YOU NEED MORE GOVERNMENT REGULATION HEADS EXPLODE AT HOTAIR

THANKS FOR STATING THE OBVIOUS PALIN

Dave Rywall on May 2, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Sold your car right?

ClassicCon on May 2, 2010 at 2:44 AM

duh baby duh or you won’t be able to fly baby fly to your lame baby lame spokesmodel gigs

happyfeet on May 2, 2010 at 3:29 AM

So, this was a test well, not a production well. Wow. Reasonably speaking, that means oil companies are going to have to hold off on test wells until they figure out what went wrong — if they are already baring the cost of containment and clean up, they will do this on their own, without additional regulation. Reasonably, this will slow down at least deep sea oil exploration, and possibly some of the shallower stuff.

Of course, the unreasonable will call for an end to oil exploration, period. It’s what they do.

Count to 10 on May 2, 2010 at 3:35 AM

Fast forward 20 years…..
Flight 006, an Airbus 380 with 525 passengers, is told to circle out over the bay because heavy traffic on a foggy night.
Flight 006 hits a 440 foot windmill and all souls are lost.
What do we do?

NortonPete on May 2, 2010 at 3:44 AM

happyfeet on May 2, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Duh yourself, you idiot!
You won’t be able to fly, either: airplanes don’t and can run on “flex-fuels.”

As for her “lame spokesmodel gigs,” I’ll put one of Sarah Palin’s eloquent speeches on Freedom and Independence up against one of Comrade Urkel’s TOTUS-aided Socialist enslavement pep talks any day, buddy!

Jenfidel on May 2, 2010 at 6:09 AM

We need to drill shallow waters,dry land,tar sands,shale and get on the stick with NUK LEAR right now. boma will muck up anything he and the professional political types do. Kick em all out of office and get real people in to run the little bit of things this great land really needs from the feds.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Fast forward 20 years…..
Flight 006 hits a 440 foot windmill and all souls are lost.
What do we do?
Blame it on pilot error, the FAA,or the fact that airbus is a fly by wire pos.The NYT will say the pilot should have landed in the water as it worked well a while back,course Sully knew how to out fox the bus,and is a great pilot.We could blame it on the Dutch as they kinda introduced the world to windmills.
Maybe better to cut out the blame thing and just chalk it up to bad karma.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Agreed. We have only explored 5% of the planet. Transocean operates at least 30 deep water rigs and there has not been a failure in 40 years. Learn from this, clean it up and learn from this. Oil seeps into the ocean from many natural sources every day.

NortonPete on May 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Eff Cliffy on May 1, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Wonder whose decision that was, a gubmit bureaucrat or BP.

Col.John Wm. Reed on May 2, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Yep, especially the gas shale and NUK LEAR. Trouble is, Dear Leader thinks it’s best for us for energy prices to sky rocket.

petefrt on May 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM

~~Proverbs 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I think the magnitude of the problem will discourage drilling, for sure.

However, the only good thing about the event is that it really brings the issue into reality.

No, it’s not without risk.
Yes, our consumption of energy is the problem.
Yes, we need solutions.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Indeed. America is deliberately ignoring the coming energy crisis, and reality has to basically plant a boot on our butts to get our heads out of the sand.

But will we have the sense to discuss real solutions this time? I doubt it. Obama, coward that he is, will just backpedal on his recent drilling decision and put in place some ridiculous countermeasure(s). And sure as the sun will rise we’ll get the greenie-goofs spouting their mantra of total replacement with wind and solar.

Dark-Star on May 2, 2010 at 1:52 PM

No, it’s not without risk.
Yes, our consumption of energy is the problem.
Yes, we need solutions.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

You’re playing Obama’s game swallowing the green Kool-Aid.

Solutions are coming but not from squelching private industry. The billions of $$$ BP’s going to dump over this fiasco is PLENTY of motivation to come up with a solution. You’re just being a sucker for Big Government by parroting the Dems’ “Consumption is the problem” line.

Most of the world’s population lives like crap compared to the USA. I want to see them doing BETTER not WORSE. So I want consumption to rise geometrically; the faster the better. Free people seeking solutions in a free market will get us there better and faster than a bunch of hand-wringing professors and lying politicians.

BTW, if you follow the threads on the Levin audio interview you’ll find out from the pros that the real problem was the firefighting team sank the rig. They should have let it burn. As one commenter noted if they’d listened to John Wayne in Hell Fighters they’d know that you “Never put out the fire until you’ve capped the well”. The fire was burning off the oil as it came up the shaft. The firefighting crew flooded the fire with so much water they sank the platform. That bent and broke the shaft and released the full flow into the sea. That’s how 40,000 gallons/day became 5,000 barrels.

rcl on May 2, 2010 at 1:54 PM

happyfeet on May 2, 2010 at 3:29 AM

Stinkyfeet is all consumed with Palin hatred. OCD drugs should help … see your doctor pronto before Obama DeathCare kicks in.

darwin on May 2, 2010 at 2:39 PM

How\’s that oily-drilly thing working out for ya?

Constant Parrhesia on May 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM

How\’s that oily-drilly thing working out for ya?

Constant Parrhesia on May 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM

How’s that most open, transparent government evah working out for ya?

darwin on May 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM

How\’s that oily-drilly thing working out for ya?

Constant Parrhesia on May 2, 2010 at 4:05 PM

How’s that solary/windy thing working out for ya?

darwin on May 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM

How’s that solary/windy thing working out for ya?

darwin on May 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM

It isn’t a very smart thingy…

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Sarah … at least she hasn’t given up on being an idiot … she usually quits everything else.

Monkei on May 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Monkei on May 2, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Uh, that is so 2009. Can’t you update your ridicule? How sad…

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM

QuitterCuda speaks from the safety of her Facebook account.
She still hasn’t held an open press conference. Her personal appearances are tightly controlled and only screened, written questions are allowed. How brave and fearless Palin is!

It’s easy to cling to empty sloganeering when you hide from the press. Why does anyone take this woman seriously?

chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM

How brave and fearless Palin is!
chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Talk about bravery! You should have waited till this post was in the vault before you brought your A persuasion game!

;p

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM

allapundint never ceases to annoy.

drill baby drill referres to LAND DRILLING. and if we were allowed to do it, there wouldnt be oil in the ocean right now. duh

this accident only STRENGTHENS the drill baby drill mantra nore than ever

sidewinder22 on May 2, 2010 at 9:38 PM

;p

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM

There’s no persuading the losers who love the Quitter. I only hope she runs in ’12, thereby guaranteeing a second term for President Obama!

chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM

There’s no persuading the losers who love the Quitter. I only hope she runs in ‘12, thereby guaranteeing a second term for President Obama!

chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Well there ya go. So brave of you to ridicule those who are incurable in your own stalwart mind. Good to hear you rooting openly for Obama, no surprise where your alliances are.

Brave and smart, thank you for gracing us.

Inanemergencydial on May 2, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Fast forward 20 years…..
Flight 006 hits a 440 foot windmill and all souls are lost.
What do we do?

Uh …. don’t fly planes at 440 FEET!!!!!!!

Eyas on May 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM

She still hasn’t held an open press conference.

chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Hey chump: Where have you been? Didn’t you see her interviewed outside the courthouse after she testified at the trial of the little Democrat scamp who hacked her email account? There, she comfortably answered every question put to her and didn’t need a tele-prompter to do it. Try to keep up. Anyhow, being a private citizen she’s not obligated to routinely hold press conferences unlike your boy is. Stark contrast, huh?

ncborn on May 2, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Sounds to me like a faulty blowout preventer was the final cause of this spill. Also, someone should have noticed the pressure rise and kept the mud column big enough to prevent this from happening. I suspect they’ll find out that TransOcean made a mistake somewhere.

gordo on May 3, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I think the magnitude of the problem will discourage drilling, for sure.

No, it’s not without risk.
Yes, our consumption of energy is the problem.
Yes, we need solutions.

AnninCA on May 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Ann, I think you’re right, but rig accidents happen all the time around the world. Would we stop flying after a plane crash? No, we would find out what caused it, fix it, and keep flying. That’s what should happen here. I wish that wind and solar power would substitute for our dependence on oil, coal, and natural gas, but simple math tells me that cannot happen. Until we build a massive amount of nuclear plants or discover a way to harness fusion power, our economy will continue to run on fossil fuel. My take is, use fossil fuel wisely, safely, and conserve it when you can, but use it until something better comes along.

gordo on May 3, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Hmmm AP, how about if we drill in Alaska on land that is rich in oil and you go post over at Huffington?

Nalea on May 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Of course she is fighting a losing battle because know nothings about the offshore oil industry, like Allahpundit, are editorializing their uninformed views.

Kermit on May 3, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Here is the largest spill in the Gulf of Mexico…

Kermit on May 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM

How do you think it will be doing when gas is $4+/gallon?

Midas on May 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM

It’s easy to cling to empty sloganeering when you hide from the press.

chumpThreads on May 2, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Yeah, I was wondering why Obama hasn’t had an open press conference in a long time as well – glad you brought it up.

Midas on May 3, 2010 at 9:55 AM

but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

And who the hell are you?

long_cat on May 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

long_cat on May 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM

This is an accident, or an incident if you will, but that’s all.

You fix the problem and move forward.

Yes, we need drilling. We also need better procedures, and maybe better equipment, for dealing with situations like this. Assume it’s going to happen, and plan for it.

JEM on May 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM

This is an accident, or an incident if you will, but that’s all.

You fix the problem and move forward.

JEM on May 3, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I think that you hit the nail right square on the head. While I understand the political nature and approve of cutting down Zero every chance possible. The best thing that he can do is stay the heck out of the way and let the pros do their job.

The USCG and other government agencies can do little to help other than loaning those AF planes to spray dispersant on the spill from the sky. BP is already using ALL of the contractors that the Feds would have to rely upon.

The only upside is that these environmental spill response companies are making out like bandits, and will for months to come.

Most of the dumb comments are likely for those who have little to do except sit before the computers and blog all day long.

Back to work for me.

Kermit on May 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I pray for the days Allapundit is not posting articles here.

rlwo2008 on May 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Millions of blogs out there, and you visit one hoping that the main blogger isn’t there.

RINO in Name Only on May 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

MSNBC ticker on the WH press briefing “Gibbs says WH will keep their boot on the throat of BP”.

Government boots on the throats of people or private citizens- welcome to modern America.

hawksruleva on May 3, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Why would we want to spray dispersant? Looks to me like the best plan would get it to stay together, so it could be skimmed off more easily.

hawksruleva on May 3, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Looking at that creep from Iran at the U.N. today is all it should take to convince even Dems to STOP sending our money to these terrorists in Arab lands our energy dollars……Drill Baby Drill would solve that National Security problem and jobs and the deficit and lowering taxes to boot. It’s a win win win win situation. When a 747 crashes – do we stop all air transport? No – we investigate and fix the problem. Same here with this oil spill – when Sarah is Prez, she’ll open up the valve wide and we will finally have some common sense running the ship of state…..

Cinday Blackburn on May 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I’ll tell you a little something else about the S.W.A.T. teams. The Health Care Bill/Law allows Bomma his own Army. well, read it. See what you think. I forget the page #

johnnyU on May 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

How do you think it will be doing when gas is $4+/gallon?

Midas on May 3, 2010 at 9:52