Palin on oil spill: We must continue to drill, baby, drill

posted at 6:55 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

A noble effort, especially given Alaska’s experience with the Valdez, but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

As an Alaskan, I can speak from the heart about the tragedy of an oil spill. For as long as I live, I will never forget the day the Exxon-Valdez ran aground on Bligh Reef and millions of gallons of North Slope crude poured into the waters of our beautiful Prince William Sound. The spill was devastating to so many Alaskans who, like my own family, make their living on the water from our commercial fishing industry. “Heartbreaking” was the word my husband Todd, an Alaska Native and trained oil spill responder, used to describe the scene as we watched it unfold on land and water that we feel is sacred…

In the coming days, there will be hearings to discover the cause of the explosion and the subsequent leak. Actions will be taken to increase oversight to prevent future accidents. Government can and must play an appropriate role here. If a company was lax in its prevention practices, it must be held accountable. It is inexcusable for any oil company to not invest in preventative measures. They must be held accountable or the public will forever distrust the industry…

All responsible energy development must be accompanied by strict oversight, but even with the strictest oversight in the world, accidents still happen. No human endeavor is ever without risk – whether it’s sending a man to the moon or extracting the necessary resources to fuel our civilization. I repeat the slogan “drill here, drill now” not out of naiveté or disregard for the tragic consequences of oil spills – my family and my state and I know firsthand those consequences. How could I still believe in drilling America’s domestic supply of energy after having seen the devastation of the Exxon-Valdez spill? I continue to believe in it because increased domestic oil production will make us a more secure, prosperous, and peaceful nation.

The White House insists that Axelrod was misinterpreted this morning when he said there’s a freeze on new drilling; apparently, production drilling that’s currently in the works is still okay. I’ve got a feeling that position won’t hold, though. This harrowing AP story on the spill makes the case — convincingly — that it could be one of the worst man-made environmental calamities in modern history, like some sort of oily Chernobyl. The type of oil that was being drilled is especially crude and gooey; the type of marshlands at risk in Louisiana are especially fragile and hard to clean; and because the exploded part underwater is actually a live well, there’s theoretically no limit to how much oil can leak from it. Unlike the Valdez, whose supply was finite, it’ll just keep bubblin’ up until they cap it. (That’ll be the argument for why we need to go back to importing oil instead of drilling our own.) Louisiana’s already opened shrimp season early to let fishermen catch what they can in case the local supply gets wiped out. How do you think the “drill, baby, drill” movement will be doing a month from now if there’s a small black sea growing in the Gulf of Mexico?

More good news: Apparently there are three separate breaks in the rig from which oil is flowing. Experts say that’s not a sign that the riser will collapse and that the flow will increase, but stay tuned. As for the politics of it, our liberal betters who blamed George Bush for every misfortune to befall the world for eight years are now on the lookout for crazed wingnuts attempting to blame this somehow on Obama. I won’t take the bait, but do read lefty Michael Roston’s post on how the federal agency charged with policing oil producers has been preoccupied lately with … green energy.

Update: CBS notices that, aside from Palin and Bob McDonnell, Republicans are being awfully quiet about further drilling thus far.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Losing battle?
I didn’t notice more people walking to work this morning..

TexasJew on April 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

How will it be any better for Cuba to drill in the Gulf than for US companies to do it?

The Monster on April 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

How do you think the “drill, baby, drill” movement will be doing a month from now if there’s a small black sea in the Gulf of Mexico?

On the flipside, how do you think $4/gallon gasoline will be doing 2 months from now? Americans vote with their pocketbooks. As devastating as this oil spill may turn out to be, relying on foreign sources of energy could be even worse.

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Well I suppose the only solution now is to wipe out the internal combustion engine. See, that was easy.

fiatboomer on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Could be, but let’s see if you and everybody else feels the same way when gas reaches $4/gallon again.

ncborn on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

So the solution is to let foreign companies drill in the same waters off our coasts and then buy it from them, right?

UnderstandingisPower on April 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Yeah? Say that again later this summer when gas prices have gone back up. [rolls eyes]

FloatingRock on April 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Candy-ass alert!

Jim-Rose on April 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM

It’s Obummer’s fault! Lots of bad stuff to come is his fault too! He sent Lawyers and swat teams to take care of the problem!
mmmm mmmm mmmm

IowaWoman on April 30, 2010 at 7:02 PM

ncborn on April 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Allah doesn’t drive.. he doesn’t care.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM

If I read this right…there is now no new chance of even reducing our energy dependence on the middle east. This coming at a time when we are fast losing any influence there at all…plus a soon to be nuclear Iran will negate everything anyway.

No need for Cap and Trade then. We’ll soon be out of oil (at any price).

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Stop all domestic drilling please so we can see how the Spill baby Spill crowd is going to handle paying 8 bucks per gallon.

TimeTraveler on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Only in the sense that Obama never had any intentions of drilling offshore anywhere. We’re still going to need fuel, baby, fuel…and the public will still agree with Palin, especially when we hit that $4/gallon mark again.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Losing battle? Nahh.

I’d encourage all of us to reject the opportunistic pile on of “Big Oil” in this regard. Keep all options open from Jimbob asleep at the switch and causing an accident, to enviroterrorists, to international terrorists (whom we’ve suspected of conducting clandestine underwater operations in the past), to mechanical failures etc. It is awfully strange that an oil rig exploded and sank. If the well head (5,000 feet underwater) broke, then how did the rig itself explode? All options are on the table. This was either an accident, or it was deliberate. Beware of those who benefit from this disaster, and who suffer. Also consider the timing, and that somewhat inconvenient Coal Mine Disaster that is still an open question mark. I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but I’m unwilling to accept theory one, nor two from these guys until we see proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

She’s right.

Drill, damnit. It’s criminal that a country with our resources does nothing to utilize them.

I really want Palin in the WH. You, betcha, baby!

Cody1991 on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Get them bikes out and lubed up. Going to be a interesting ride soon.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

At least one leader is willing to step up to the plate and keep the economy going through some tough times.

pedestrian on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Its time to stop air travel. Its to dangerous. Eventually another plane is going to crash.

Amadeus on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

AP said:

Obama’s not to blame for the spill itself, but the 8-day delay in a serious federal response is a different story. Certainly Dems and the media would be tearing Bush apart right now if that delay had happened on his watch.

Jon0815 on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

There is a place called ANWR out there in the middle of nowhere. All you have to do is start drilling. The oil is waiting.

Wait and see what happens when gas is $7.00 a gallon.

oldyeller on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

So because of this we should quit drilling for oil????? Yeah right. I guess that logic means Toyota should quit making cars since they had brake issues. Wouldn’t the better response be let’s learn from this so there isn’t a next time or if there is maybe we learn how to fix this quicker??

Maybe The Won can dispatch a unicorn to crap skittles on the leaks and fix the problem.

VikingGoneWild on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Where’s FEMA? Where’s the Red Cross? Where is the National Guard? Why is Bush allowing all of the animals to die and people to suffer? When is racist Bush going to get off his ass and stop playing golf and do something?

Oh wait, racist Bush isn’t President anymore?

Nevermind then.

alohapundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Oh noes! The reactor core will burn straights down to China! It’s a syndrome! Ban everything in sight!

John the Libertarian on April 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

“The war is lost”

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Jon0815 on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

The messier and more catastrophic that spill is, the better for Obama. Those are the sorts of folks we’re dealing with now.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Did we stop the space program when those three astronauts died on the launch pad back in the 1970′s IIRC? Ummmm, nope… but we sure as hell never used pure oxygen in the cockpit anylonger. We evaluate the issues, catalog the mistakes, learn from them, and drive on. Oil spills are messy, rocket disasters deadly, nuclear reactor meltdowns are very messy and deadly, however, we march on.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Losing battle?
I didn’t notice more people walking to work this morning..

TexasJew on April 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Yeah. I guess my car will start running on skittles & Hope & Change.

I need to go out and trim my lawn with a pair of scissors.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Wait and see what happens when gas is $7.00 a gallon.

oldyeller on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Permafrost and lichen are more important than people, you homosapiensapiensist, you.

fiatboomer on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Open ANWR. If oil spills there, it’s going to get all gucked up quicker because it’s cold, easier to clean maybe? than in the warm as hell Gulf of Mexico where it’s all over the place now. A great argument.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Why do we have to keep saying this. Bush declared a federal disaster 2 days before landfall. Bush could not just send troops in until requested by the governor. The hurricane was not Bush’s fault, nor the delayed federal response.

This is clearly a nuisance to Obama and his minions are looking for a way to capitalize on the disaster. Blame Halliburton.

Jocundus on April 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Isn’t interesting that things just happen to occur to bolster Obama’s agenda? I know,it’s unlikely that foul play was a part of this spill, but the timing couldn’t be better. You know, cap and trade, Government take over of industries. Same thing with the SEC charges coming out against Goldman Sachs. What a coincidence that Congress was right in the middle of trying to pass their take over of Wall Street. Just saying…..

sandee on April 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I need to go out and trim my lawn with a pair of scissors.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

j

i have my unicorn grazing on mine…

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I think the explosian was sabotage. Of all of the off-shore wells in the world, we have one that explodes. And it happens after a month or 2 when 0bama opens off-shore exploration. I think some ET (Environmental Terrorist) somehow got out there or infiltrated the workforce on the platform and caused this. Yeah, I know, I’m crazy.

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Nature has a way of coming back. God created it that way. So, why all the hand-wringing? Ohhh yeah…

pugwriter on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

I for one welcome our new oil producing overlords…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Yep, game over…until we hit $10 a gallon prices at the pump…and our economy collapses. We were going to get there one way or another…now we’re going to get there within 2 or 3 years.

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

So, it’s okay for Russia, Cuba, Brazil, China and Mexico to continue drilling but not us……hmmmmm makes a whole lot of sense to me……not!
Accidents happen…this doesn’t warrant not to drill. You can use all the possible preventions you have and accidents STILL happen.
Might as well not get up in the morning, don’t cross the street, don’t drive at all and a million more scenerios….and guess what, accidents STILL happen.

Speaking of that….pretty coincidental to be accidental…just saying.

tencole on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I don’t understand why they didn’t try to contain the oil as quickly as possible. There are several devices that can be used to contain floating oil. It can be sucked up and taken away. Now I realize that this is a huge spill and oil is still flowing but I’m at a loss as to the slow and inept response.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

NOTHING surprises me anymore.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

“The war is lost”

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I’m afraid you’re right. The first picture of some cute critter covered in oil to hit the nightly news will end all debate.

Critters is agony trumps discussion. No really.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

now on the lookout for crazed wingnuts attempting to blame this somehow on Obama. I won’t take the bait.

Well AP, I’ll take the bait. Obama waited eight days to respond to this and then they use the lame excuse that BP didn’t tell them how bad it was. What, were they just taking BP’s word for it from the get-go? Shouldn’t they have sent inspectors and experts to analyze it independently?

As the saying goes, “If this had been Bush…

JohnInCA on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Wait and see what happens when gas is $7.00 a gallon.

oldyeller on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

LMFAO… gas at 9.20 in Alaska “in the middle of Nowhere”. So tell me how much you pay? I pay 3.37 right now.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM

“Never let a good crisis go to waste…” Like Limbaugh’s been saying lately, there are no coincidences.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Someone got to lead..

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Tough doo doo. They’re being discerning if they’re keeping their yaps shut just as a great way of increasing the vacuum that Mr. I-got-there-after-8-days Obama has to fill.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

So tell me how much you pay? I pay 3.37 right now.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

$2.70 here for regular.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

In this case, it appears that the failsafe shutoff failed. If it turns out this is a once per generation failure, then improve the safety measures as much as possible, and keep going. Having enough of our own oil is also a security issue.

RBMN on April 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I hadn’t read your post when I put mine out there. Yeah, something is up.

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Wait and see what happens when gas is $7.00 a gallon.

oldyeller on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

It would be very much easier to contain a damaged drill on land and easier to cap it and clean the area. Even if we were allowed to drill closer to shore, it would be easier to take care of a problem like this.

Lily on April 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

The day Iran get’s the bomb, is the day we no longer have any foreign supplies of oil. And since we have no domestic supples either, we’re toast.

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM

What else is new???
Palin has been out in front on most issues with chirping coming from the rest of the republicans.

tencole on April 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM

$2.70 here for regular.

ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

$2.97 here in Portland. I’ve seen $2.99 in the burbs. It isn’t even summer yet.

I predict $3.89 by summer.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Wait and see what happens when gas is $7.00 a gallon.

oldyeller on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Gas in McGrath, AK is $9 a gallon

ConservativePartyNow on April 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I hadn’t read your post when I put mine out there. Yeah, something is up.

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I’m keeping all possibilities open–truly. If some worker tripped the wrong switch, or a unfortunate series of events, or sabotage, or enviroterror or what—I’m open–pump failure, greedy execs cutting costs by buying cheap pipe, etc… D) all of the above—this needs to be investigated to the singular end point—the truth. The same goes for that coal mine disaster in WV. This Big Coal=bad, whoa look disaster! and Big Oil=bad, whoa look! disaster! are simply too fortuitous to look away from.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

…but I think she’s fighting a losing battle here.

Love it. True to form. If there’s an angle that will put Sarah Palin down AllahPundit will be all over it. The meme, it’s not politically expedient to say we should continue drilling because this incident shows that gas is bad and trying to have it a a low cost is even worse and the accidents should NEVER, EVER HAPPEN because it’s up to the government to protect us children from our own greedy, destructive behavior. All I can say is, if that’s the way we’re playing it it’s a major FAIL. We might as well give up on everything. Life isn’t expedient or safe from accidents. The sooner we get back to understand that particular fact of life the better the USA and the world will be.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

I predict $3.89 by summer.

portlandon on April 30, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I wonder what our strategic oil reserves look like. I wonder if those are being tapped right now to keep prices low. They certainly will as soon as the market starts tightening…which I suspect it will, very soon.

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

The big difference between drill in the Gulf and drilling in ANWR is that, drilling up in ANWR, you don’t need these oil rigs in the middle of the ocean. However, that said there is natural gas in the outer cont shelf up here

ConservativePartyNow on April 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

tencole on April 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM

That’s what makes her a Leader and all the others sub-text.

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

there’s theoretically no limit to how much oil can leak from it.

Actually, there is a limit to how oil can leak from it, unless BP stumbled upon the only unlimited supply of oil on the planet.

xblade on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Right. That’s why I called it a noble effort. To put her down.

Some of you people are impossible.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Yet another reason to support Palin. she leads when all other politicans are ducking for cover.

Oh I so do question the timing of this oil spill. And why did Obama send the swat teams to the other oil rigs? and why wasn’t inspections going on, and why did the federal government wait 8 days.

unseen on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

In case you didn’t notice Sarah Palin is leading.

And where is Romney’s response? He may give his response depending on the reaction to Sarah Palin and the direction of the wind.

Amadeus on April 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Har har. You got my point.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Well, at least this will breath new life into extreme environtmentalist groups.

Crap.

WitchDoctor on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I want the survivors of that rig interviewed, a timeline created, catalogues of visitors, any surface or subsurface activity in the area, coast guard logs of flyovers, satellite shots, intel reports of joint Russian/Venezuelan naval/clandestine activity all on the table as possibilities. Moreover, don’t forget we just had a S. Korean ship sunk most likely by a torpedo. I’m not saying this rig was torpedoed, but, was this the first in a series of events by some around the world to weaken the US right where it would weaken us the most?

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Only by then it’ll be too late. It takes a long time for this oil to actually reach the market. The exploration alone can last years. I’m sick of these cowardly politicians who only react to a crisis after it arrives.

We know what’s at stake if we don’t develop our own energy supplies. We’re at the mercy of the rest of the world. If we as a nation are ok with that, fine. Then don’t b-tch and complain about $4+ a gallon at the pump. Don’t have a hissy fit about the cost of food and other goods rising as a result.

What bugs me about the so-called environmentalists is that nothing is good enough for them. Nuclear is a no-no thanks to 3 Mile Island and a Jane Fonda movie. Coal is bad because of alleged manmade global warming. Oil is now evil because of what’s happening in the Gulf. But not so fast with those windmills. They look bad off the coast of MassachusettEs and they kill little birdies. I guess that leaves us with ethanol and solar panels. I think the environmentalist wackos are still ok with those.

What we need in this country very soon is a comprehensive, no BS, everything’s on the table energy policy. I don’t think we’ll get it from this administration or Congress unfortunately, so it looks like we’ll be suffering til at least 2012.

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I think the explosian was sabotage…
Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Hmmm. You know, wy else would DHS get involved in an oil spill

ConservativePartyNow on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

heh. take it in stride my friend.

Amadeus on April 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Some of you people are impossible.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

hmmm allah before you make a rash judgement about the entire future of oil drilling in the United states don’t you think you might want to wait for some polls to show what the population thinks about the risk/rewards of oil drilling instead of a couple of sensational news stories intended to drive emotion?

unseen on April 30, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I appreciate Sarah’ s calm words in this situation. I’m sick and tired of the sky is falling mentality we’ve been seeing lately.We just spent a week of insane commentary on the bill in Arizona.Politicians threatening boycotts etc. and saying it’s the same as Nazi Germany. Obama spent the week condemning Arizona instead of paying attention to this disaster. Some leader.

sandee on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Hmmm. You know, wy else would DHS get involved in an oil spill

ConservativePartyNow on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

they’re certainly not doing jack nor squat about the border, so why not an oil spill. Don’t forget the Bounty Paper Towels, Big Sis!

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Oh definetly, I want an investigation, too. But, I don’t want it dragged out for a year or 2. Lets find out what really happened and then fix/repair the materials used and/or the procedures. This should not be a show stopper.

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

This may be the first time in the history of Hot Air that a commenter had scolded me for not paying enough attention to polls.

I agree that if they bring this thing under control quickly, the political damage will be minimal. If not, look out.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM

right, it may seen paradoxical, but the answer to solving the worlds reliance upon oil just may be discovered by doing just that, exploring for oil.

You never know what you’ll find, till you look for it. Stranger things have happened.

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Nice picture of Palin, thx AP

Amadeus on April 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

They have a ship going out with casing mud at this moment but are being held up due to the political red tape. So whos fault is it?

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

You don’t just hold the entire industry hostage just because one accident as bad as it may be.

I grew up I Ketchikan and my old man worked on one of the State Ferries that was dispatched up to Prince William Sound to house those who were cleaning up the mess. Nobody wanted the industry abolished. They just wanted Exxon’s ass for it.

Allah left part of Palin’s piece out.

She mentioned BP getting cited for poor maint.practices up in AK. Who’s running the rig that just blew up?

Chrisin206 on April 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Doughboy on April 30, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I see no way out…and sure it’ll be too late by then. That’s the point. Cowards are always the last to know. Sadly, cowards are all we have now. All 90% of them think about is how to get re-elected.

You know what though….we can’t blame the politicians for this. If you look at the everyday average American idiot, they are the ones who force the politicians to pander to this suicidal crap. Go ask any idiot on the street about energy policy right now, and they’ll start blubbering about the environmental impact and how sure they are that solar is going to fix everything. It’s hopeless.

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

TYPICAL ALLAHPUNDIT: “losing battle”…

Palin is right not to appease the eco-nutsies.

It takes courage and commitment to principles for her to say what she said as plainly as she said it and this is a chief reason she is considered presidential by so many people like me.

Courage and commitment to values are much more important than loquacity and an ability to assuage the ruling class.

reliapundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Right. That’s why I called it a noble effort.

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I think she’s playing safe, but no risk no reward , is there any real alternative to oil for at lest the next 20 years.
Apart from unicorns and skittles.

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Maybe. I think the pocket book will trump any and all concern over some sea gulls/otters etc. Gas has already shot up 30 cents in my neck of the woods. Another dollar at the pumpp and we go into double dip recession and a 30% unemployment rate with a deflationary headwind with a backdraft of Fiscal soverign debt collapse and the corresponding increase in credit rates across the board.

unseen on April 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Chrisin206 on April 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

hmm BP.

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:30 PM

It’s not strange to me the rep. are quiet.They’re afraid they might offend some group.I am sick of it and this whole oil thing is..let’s see how did rahm say it…we can’t let a good crisis go to waste! Obama spent all week attacking w/street and Arizona,he purposely stayed away from this.Where and when will all the env. wackos give obama the kind of hell they gave Bush?

ohiobabe on April 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM

And this happened on Obama`s watch,where is the criticism,
where is the manufactured outrage,like Bush recieved from
Katrina,where are all the Liberal pundits screaming holy
h*ll about this disaster!!

canopfor on April 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

AUINSC on April 30, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I doubt we will need the reserves, I am not sure how far along this well was in production but we have a lackluster refinery utilization right now and plenty of crude supplies to make up for whatever this well was producing. The bigger problem I see right now for prices would come from a major port being shut down and said refineries around those ports maybe running out of crude or more likely not being able to get their products out. If they get shut in like that they will have to reduce their refining rate and we lose gasoline/diesel/jet etc. production. Florida is supplied by ships, they do not have petroleum piplines and if ship traffic is hindered that could be a problem. In the short term, since a state of emergency has been called in Louisiana, Alabama, and the panhandle of Florida prices have been frozen there. Most of those refineries on Loisiana are connected to piplines to ship their products all over the place but those pipelines can only handle so much volume.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Allahpundit on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

It could be a problem for november , not 2012. Oil demand wont go away, but the hysteria will.

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I know. The irony is that ANWR is the safest place we could drill. I don’t think you can have a oil spill on land. Well, at least I’ve never heard of one.

In any event, I’m going to insist that the oil platform was destroyed by controlled demolition.

year_of_the_dingo on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The US had such a massive response just hours after the haitian earthquake. Here its a week later, and the US has barely begun to mobilize to protect our shores and environment.

I don’t’ get it.

Vincenzo on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

One thing I learned during Bush’s presidency is that the left never missed an opportunity to damage Bush. They never took their foot off of his throat.

Now, we have a bit of an opening, but some of us don’t want to “take the bait”. We should be hammering the point home that the spill wasn’t his fault, but the inept response sure was.

JohnInCA on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

well well, ain’t that fortuitous. BP–poor “maintenance” practices, by who’s standards. Same in the coal mine. So, the company that provides the energy gets it in the neck both coming and going. They probably didn’t have the sanitary napkin dispenser low enough so it’s a “maintenance” issue….

*eyeroll*—don’t buy that same old song and dance BS of “maintenance” practices, not until it is proven. Show us the proof. If they’re so damned low on maintenance, why don’t we have shiite spilling all over the place and workers getting capped by swinging rigs or getting sucked in drill holes or something.???????

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Don’t give up just because of one oil well blow out. WTH people. We gonna let the tyrant tell us we can not drill for oil because of one blow out?

Have we, as a country, become so cowardly that we give up at the first accident?

If we really have become that pussified …. words fail me. How the h*ll will we take back the country if we won’t fight for what we need?

Skandia Recluse on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

If anything, all this proves is that it is far better to drill on land in remote locations.

Drill baby, drill!

There simply is no substitute for oil for energy. One day there will be but not yet. In the meantime learn from the accident and move on.

Guardian on April 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Once again Palin is right. Obama and the liberal hoards are creating a “death panel” for energy development. Government cheese and rice fields here we come.

wheelgun on April 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Nope the hysteria will stay. People are tired of paying 50 bucks for a full tank of gas. Over 150 for electricity and to heat their homes. And I am not talking about the people who use fuel oil. They are tired of the prices going up and for no reason. Well they know the reason now…. do you blame them for getting upset?

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM

And this happened on Obama`s watch,where is the criticism,
where is the manufactured outrage,like Bush recieved from
Katrina,where are all the Liberal pundits screaming holy
h*ll about this disaster!!

canopfor on April 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I did see a headline, maybe Washington Examiner “Heckuva Glob” already. I think it will come but nowhere near what W went through.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM

NOTHING surprises me anymore.
ddrintn on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Wasn’t there a Saturday a week or so back where no one knew where Obama was?

Hmmmm….

turfmann on April 30, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I don’t’ get it.

Vincenzo on April 30, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Just follow the bread crumbs on who a slow response helps.

unseen on April 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I definitely question the timing, not only of the explosion itself, but for NObama waiting until it had become such a huge, seemingly unsolvable problem.

BTW, I don’t believe *anything* the MSM tells us.
They shut down air traffic for days, telling the Western world that there was an “ash cloud” that forbade planes from flying…
Turns out that was horse hockey.
What if this is the same?
What if the leak and the attendant slick and spill aren’t that bad?
We’ve seen plenty of proof that the Maobama Administration will tell any kind of lies to get their way, playing up non-problems into “crises,” and down-playing other threats like the Ft. Hood shooter and the Christmas Day bomber as “no big deal.”

Kudos to Sarah Palin for getting out in front of the problem with the right attitude and approach!
In her FB Note, she does mention having to get after BP, the same company involved now, in AK for lax infrastructure maintenance which very well may be the cause of the problem in this case.

Jenfidel on April 30, 2010 at 7:36 PM