Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on April 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Arizona’s new immigration-enforcement law has caused many in political life to rethink their assumptions — but not their geography. In a town-hall meeting in Ottumwa, Iowa this week, Barack Obama tried walking the fine line between welcoming people to the country and actually enforcing the law, while somehow ignoring the fact that his job really only involves doing the latter. Obama tried to salute the US by pointing out that we treat immigrants different than other countries do … like, say, that big country across the pond called Europe:

So the challenge we have now is how do we set up a system where, yes, we’re welcoming new people to our country, which by the way makes us stronger. One of the things that is a huge advantage for America compared to countries like Europe is, actually, we’re constantly replenishing ourselves with hungry, driven people who are coming here, and they want to work, and they start a business, and our population is younger and more dynamic, and that’s a good thing!

One of the things that is usually an advantage is that we have a legal system of immigration that allows those people to enter the US properly. The problem isn’t that we don’t welcome legal immigrants. It’s that we don’t bother to enforce our immigration laws so that we can have more legal immigration that favors the law-abiding and productive over those who start off their stay in America by breaking our laws. And one of the problems with our brilliant President is that he’s apparently never learned that Europe isn’t actually a country, but a continent which contains many countries.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

His ignorance is no longer surprising. If he showed an iota of sense, now that would be a surprise!

Crusader Rabbit on April 30, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Gawd,Hopey is an expert in everything!!

canopfor on April 30, 2010 at 8:09 AM

I don’t know about you but, I am tired of being embarrassed by this tool every day. Someone please shut him up.

milwife88 on April 30, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Of course Europe is a country. It’s just rubes like Palin who allegedly say Africa is a country.

Wethal on April 30, 2010 at 8:10 AM

How can these people be so obtuse?

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2010 at 8:10 AM

I don’t have comment. I was just seeing how things went after last night’s big move. Smoothly!! Cool you guys. Really cool!

jeanie on April 30, 2010 at 8:10 AM

he cut class that day

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Words. Just words….

Fletch54 on April 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Refresh my memory, but wasn’t Palin portrayed as a moron for saying something like “the country of Africa?”

Seems like the MSM should jump all over this little faux pas.

I’m waiting . . . but not holding my breath.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

this would be a 24/7 hysteria for the msm if W said something like this…

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM

don’t think it will hit snl this weekend as well

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 8:13 AM

C-SPAN is doing a deplorable job this morning. They opened the phone lines to illegal aliens to call in and blubber about how hard it is to be an illegal alien.

One woman said her husband is an illegal. Oh, by her marrying him he could have made it legal. But she would have had to pay a $2,500 application fee. Not feeling it, she opted not to make him legal. Then he got deported. (Violin music, please). She had to pay a smuggler $2,500 to bring her husband back in the country.

I’m too choked up to continue…

jeff_from_mpls on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Also

…we’re constantly replenishing ourselves with hungry, driven people who are coming here, and they want to work, and they start a business, and our population is younger and more dynamic, and that’s a good thing!

This kinda dodges the concept of assimilation. Seems like people who used to relocate in America wanted to be Americans. This may still be true, but we seem to hear more and more about people who just want to relocate here permanently while completely abstaining from cultural assimilation.

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

agree, assimilation is not a part of their vocabulary…

make money and send it back to their homeland…

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 8:17 AM

One of Obama’s idiotic rants. I believe we already have a system set up. He pretends he is building this country from scratch. Does he ever show pride in his country when it does not involve him. This man sets new levels of narcissism. geesh my teeth hurt!

texriot on April 30, 2010 at 8:17 AM

**sigh**

ctmom on April 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Well, that is lib speak. You see, we are not Americans, well those of us who live in the United States are not Americans. We are citizens of the United States of America.

Heck, you don’t hear our friends up north in Canada calling themselves Americans. You do hear a lot of people from south of the border calling themselves Americans though.

BobK on April 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Actually, Europe does have a lot of immigrants from Muslim countries. Does Obama not know this or is he implying that those Muslim immigrants are lazy and do not replenish Europe?

Disturb the Universe on April 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I’d love for Paul Sorvino to see this. On FOX this morning saying how intelligent Bambi is. Stick to your last Paul.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 8:23 AM

*bangs head against wall*

ladyingray on April 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM

This is just smearing Obama referring to anonymous sources , nobody heard him say this….

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I’m choked up with laughter, coffee all over my keyboard. I guess the Obama Administration has their fingers in C-Span now. Control folks that’s all they want. Control the message, control the media, control US!

I wonder how many cops there will be in riot gear this weekend in LA?

Atlanta Media Guy on April 30, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I bet poor TOTUS got a spanking last night.

Key West Reader on April 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM

punk

blatantblue on April 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM

… that big country across the pond called Europe

Hey man, he’s just that far ahead of us! He KNOWS Europe will be a unified nation in the future!

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Magna Cum Laude? I rest my case.

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Hey, Bammy, how many states does Europe have?

JammieWearingFool on April 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Did he use the term undocumented workers to refer to illegal aliens again yesterday? I vote for that every time. A nation of laws, my ass.

Basilsbest on April 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM

he sees how Europeans are losing their individual national identities & sovereignties every day. he wants us to be like that.

kelley in virginia on April 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Palin never said that. A bitter McCain aid (redundant, I know) told Campaign Carl that she said that.

Blarg the Destroyer on April 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Yeah , he got the peace price , so what do we know.

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Also, can we get an open thread to mock the new layout. Hey, Salem…just because the ads are bigger doesn’t make me more likely to click on them.

Blarg the Destroyer on April 30, 2010 at 8:29 AM

He’s a good speech maker and a decent speaker of rehearsed academic jargon, but he is not really all that smart.

myrenovations on April 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Yeah , he got the peace price , so what do we know. – Nile

Yup, and he didn’t even hafta DO anything to get it! He’s AMAAAAAZING!

Tony737 on April 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM

silly me, I thought we already had a system in place where we welcome new people to our country. I thought I had a grandmother & grandfather who went through Ellis Island.

Dear Liar is not a drooling idiot with a substandard IQ. So is He just so woefully ignorant, unlearned or untaught about history, amongst other subjects, or is He such an inveterate liar.

rbj on April 30, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Like it or not, he’s right in part. The problem seems to be that he only talks about action and doesn’t actually take action. I read where Nancy said that they ‘needed leadership from the WH on this issue.’ I took that to mean that Obama has to take all the heat for this one if there’s any to be taken.(hah!) Perhaps read too much into her remark, but plan to watch with this nuance in mind.

jeanie on April 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

A lot of the people who are born here don’t want to be American, it appears, since about 50% of them are trying to turn America into Europe…

Who is John Galt on April 30, 2010 at 8:35 AM

plan to watch

Freudian on my part I realize. This has become a spectator sport hasn’t it. No matter what we the People think, it doesn’t matter. All we can do is sit back and watch(until November)

jeanie on April 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Just a benefit of being an EEO student all his life; Never having to pass any tests.

Cybergeezer on April 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

And Puerto Rico will be the 58th state.

singlemalt_18 on April 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Europe — one of the 57 states.

GnuBreed on April 30, 2010 at 8:38 AM

And Puerto Rico will be the 58th state.

singlemalt_18 on April 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Guam will be 59th if it doesn’t capsize first.

Disturb the Universe on April 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Regarding the new layout…. simplicity is better. Too much is annoying. Just sayin.

txag92 on April 30, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Hey Ed,

The biggest Obamateurism here isn’t mistaking Europe for a country. Obama seems to imply that European countries don’t welcome immigrants. Or is it just that immigrants to Europe aren’t “hungry” and “driven” or don’t want to work and start businesses? This whole argument is ridiculous. I live in France and there are a lot of immigrants (legal and illegal) here.

Obama also seems to imply that immigrants automatically make our country stronger. That is totally senseless. Immigrants who come with a desire to work and who are committed to American ideals and the Constitution strengthen America. Those who come expecting a free ride or with the desire to turn America into a socialist banana republic do not make us stronger.

His whole argument is bogus and amateurish.

Ordinary American on April 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Some hacker needs to create a TelePrompTer virus so The Precedent has to talk off-the-cuff every day and all Americans can see what a total rube this moron is.

Some of his supporters know Beginner Barry has us in deep kimchi but most are in MAJOR denial.

rockbend on April 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

It’s probably a telling slip. He thinks of Europe as one big socialist country … after all, the gigantic, oppressive EU government controls everything. That’s just what he wants here.

darwin on April 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Palin was torn apart for being accused of saying almost the same thing about Africa (it turned out she didn’t)…so let’s have at it MSM, I can see Europe from the White House?

right2bright on April 30, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Hey, Bammy, how many states does Europe have?
JammieWearingFool on April 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Fifty-seven, and Obooba’s been to all of them except two.

Akzed on April 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Magna Cum Laude? I rest my case.

the_nile on April 30, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Doesn’t signify what it used to. Used to mean that the student had actually studied and achieved and demonstrated mastery in a wide spectrum of subject areas. Now it just means the student was proficient in memorizing and regurgitating the same Marxist/One World Government/Evil White Man Oppresses Noble Black Savages POV and talking points favored by the student’s Loony Left professors.

That’s how you end up with a “top” Harvard law graduate who can’t even figure out what his own auto insurance policy covers, and an average Harvard law graduate (wife Michelle) who couldn’t pass her first bar exam.

AZCoyote on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

It occurs after a bit more reflection: People have spoken a more of late of Obama’s air of superiority for himself/patronization toward others. Assuming this is fair (and not mere perception), then it would not be surprising that he’d “dumb down” his thinking to speak to the masses, which would include an oversimplifications to the point of inaccuracy (i.e., a country called Europe).

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

You’re being sarcastic, right?

Keemo on April 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM

The MSM and late night talk shows sure are ignoring a lot of stupidity coming out of Mr. 57 states here to not be absolutely barbecuing his butt on a nightly basis.

….just about every day Obama shows why he has to have a teleprompter by his side 24/7 to keep him from making a fool out of himself.

Baxter Greene on April 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I am So worn out from this douchebag. November cant get here soon enough.

5u93rm4n on April 30, 2010 at 8:49 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

..if apostic is not being sarcastic…then he just jumped the shark with the biggest load of liberal,bullsh1!t spin I have ever read.

Baxter Greene on April 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Baxter Greene on April 30, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Amen to that

Keemo on April 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Can he help me with my astrophysics thesis?

Metro on April 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Really, what Solar System is this twit from? Mars?

TXUS on April 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM

wasn’t the great one born in the country of africa? /sarc.

jbh45 on April 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

You’re being sarcastic, right?

Keemo on April 30, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Grammatically careless, yes.

Sarcastic, not really. I don’t think the POTUS really thinks Europe is a country, but carelessness like that usually has a cause. I can see “I’m dealing with a bunch of ‘ill advised’ people in this country, so I’ll dumb this down for them,” as a possibile cause.

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Can he help me with my astrophysics thesis?

Metro on April 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Only if you want your thesis to be about how astrophysics unfairly discriminates against people of color (those black holes are raaaaacist!!!)

AZCoyote on April 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

This guy is a totally made for POTUS fraud.
Whoever worked on the prototype did a pretty good job but they are learning that the next one in production probably needs a higher IQ and a bit more mental stability. Either that or programmed not to speak without TOTUS.

ORconservative on April 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Yo Barry! We HAVE a system. It’s called legal immigration – ya know where you get in line, apply to come, wait until approved and THEN come?

The problem Arizona is addressing involves those that don’t follow that system and instead jump the fence illegally. What we really need is the Federal Government to actually uphold the Federal law!

katablog.com on April 30, 2010 at 9:01 AM

And Baxter, no offense sir, but you might have misinterpreted what I was saying*: that maybe the POTUS sees himself as superior — not that he IS superior.

*granted, I could’ve proof read it better before I hit the [Submit Comment] button

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Countries he knows like the back of his hand ………..

Kenya
Indonesia
Iran
Saudi Arabia
Egypt
Cuba
Venezuela

fogw on April 30, 2010 at 9:03 AM

jeff_from_mpls on April 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Too funny.

Cindy Munford on April 30, 2010 at 9:05 AM

‘set up a system’…is he nuts? We already have a system that’s been in place for awhile. How does he think his daddy got here from Africa. He must have been thinking of the European Union and all the members as part of that country. This is exactly why some of those members did not want to be part of the Union. They didn’t want to lose their identity, culture, customs or language just as we are with all that diversity BS. The illegal Mexican immigration has been going on for too long. Think back to when we didn’t have press 2 for Espanol.

Kissmygrits on April 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM

186 days and counting down.

Remember November.

publiuspen on April 30, 2010 at 9:08 AM

“…breathalizer… inhalator…”

Akzed on April 30, 2010 at 9:09 AM

POTUS sees himself as superior — not that he IS superior.

He knows his audience is hand selected, usually union tools. Oliar couldn’t get away with his faux lecturing in front of informed citizens.

I’d like to see this affirmative action manchurian on Jeopardy against a couple of retired Tea Party types with a town hall audience of recently laid off workers and watch the revealing meltdown.

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM

ontherocks on April 30, 2010 at 9:11 AM

It’s getting to the point that EVERYTHING Zero says shows just how inept he really is. He makes the Vice-Zero look like a member of Mensa.

SeniorD on April 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM

While I see your premise it was better sarcasm even if unintentional.

thomasaur on April 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Making up sh*t as he goes along, that’s our annointed leader.

docdave on April 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Wow, did he study geography with Sarah Palin? Wonder if the media will call him dumb too??

kringeesmom on April 30, 2010 at 9:24 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I love being talked down to by morons.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Barry’s getting really sloppy lately and letting us see how really dumb he truly is. Or is he so arrogantly sure that everything is in the bag and there is nothing we can do about it?

red131 on April 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Date: 30 APR
Time: 0930 hrs
Event: ted c first official new HotAir post in the era of the “new servers”
Key Outcomes: Successful view of comment after pressing of “submit comment” button

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM

While I see your premise it was better sarcasm even if unintentional.

thomasaur on April 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Spot on…

Keemo on April 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Response: Yayy it worked!

Test of rapid “submit comment”– fail

“you are posting comments too quickly” observed

Response: *sigh*

ted c on April 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

apostic on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

..I am not a grammar instructor so I would not have made my statement based on that. I care more about what someone is trying to say then I do about whether someone dotted their i’s or not.

Liberals use this excuse all the time of “dumbing down for the little people”. They said that Al Gore should have done it in the debates with Bush and he would have done better.

Two things with this.

1. The assumption that the People have to be “dummied down to” is beyond condescending and shows a serious lack of knowledge by this person concerning the general public.
This is no different than the stereotypical assumptions like “most Asian people know Karate” and “only the ignorant lower class join the Army”.

2. This “he’s to smart for us” routine is only applied to liberal leadership.When Bush or Reagen would make a gaffe,it was solid proof that they were idiots.
Obama has made an enormous amount of them and is forced to use a teleprompter (even in meetings containing only 10 people) to prevent these and all we here from the liberal crowd is “it was just a gaffe,I am sure he knows that…he just misspoke.”
You can’t have it both ways.

The “he is dumbing down for us” is nothing more than spin to try and deflect the fact that Obama is not the great leader he was sold to be.

Obama has to have a controlled environment,control of the questions (or an Obama supporter giving the questions),his townhalls have to be screened,he needs a teleprompter the vast majority of the time,and the press that is allowed to him has to be compliant(got to get those book deals).

….maybe if he spoke more Argentinean he would not get so wee weed up in all the 57 states he rides his automobile that was invented by the US in
to give speeches where he can’t tell the difference between the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

Baxter Greene on April 30, 2010 at 9:30 AM

He is far ahead of his time. Eventually continental drift will make him correct.

Yoop on April 30, 2010 at 9:31 AM

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 8:11 AM

The real question is not what classes he cut but what classes he actually attended.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 9:33 AM

It’s actually more simple than that. He just totally lacks class.

Yoop on April 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

AZCoyote on April 30, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Didn’t it take Teddy Kennedy about 5 times to pass his bar? Seems like Harvard Law graduate (Jennifer Granholm) doesn’t mean much either.

flytier on April 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Again, like Rush said…he’s the most incompetent person in any room he walks into.
I will still pray for God’s protection of America, but I suspect He’s had about enough of us.

SKYFOX on April 30, 2010 at 9:36 AM

When little Barry Obama called “Europe” a country in school his teacher said “Good boy!”, and put a gold star on his forehead.

Really Right on April 30, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Metro on April 30, 2010 at 8:54 AM

He’d probably tell you he didn’t believe in the Philosophy of Astrophysics.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Yoop on April 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

That goes without saying.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Hey, hows Affirmative Action working out for ya.

Grayzel on April 30, 2010 at 9:44 AM

*face palm* Lord but this moron Obooboo justs keeps on coming out with the most a$$inine words from his mouth. It’s always a brand new day in Oboobooland isn’t it.

sicoit on April 30, 2010 at 9:45 AM

compared to countries like Europe

Obamao learned his geography from Miss South Carolina.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I just did a little research on the Sarah Palin “mistake about Africa” and there is no independent proof that she actually said it, thought it, or believed it. The fact is that the vast majority of media, obsequious to liberals and Democrats, repeated the lie every fifteen minutes on every broadcast from local to national and now it is embedded in the national consciousness. When the national and local media do not report it, it is not front and center, not emphasized, and not “reality.”
I wonder if Dingy Harry would call the Main Stream Muckrakers “anti-American” or “un-American” if they began to criticize him as intensely as they criticize Sarah Palin. Given the arrogance and viciousness of the liberal mind, I bet he would.

ExpressoBold on April 30, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Looks to me like we replaced that evil George W. Bush with an Illegal

Hows’ that workin out for ya?

Enforce the laws the borders and oh, yea, lets see those papers Pinnochio!

dhunter on April 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM

myrenovations on April 30, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Do you think so? Most of his speeches (at least those I’ve had the stomach to read — I can never watch him) strain logic and are really rather awkward. At best, he’d make a good shopping-channel host, where you can get away with periods of nonsensical rambling as long as you get around to, robotically repeating the selling points every once in a while.

mr.blacksheep on April 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

mr.blacksheep on April 30, 2010 at 10:17 AM

The key is don’t listen to the Hopey Dopey Liar as he rambles incoherently, read what he says and Sarah sounds like a genius and he a fifth grader.

Except of course when he and O’Bidern are just makin sh.t up with authority, but I digress, read what the liar says and fact check you will be amazed.

dhunter on April 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Really, what Solar System is this twit from? Mars?

TXUS on April 30, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Obamao learned his geography from Miss South Carolina.

itsnotaboutme on April 30, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Hahahaha!

Seriously though, Obama really is a moron.

justltl on April 30, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I have brought up this President and his administration’s lack of Geography knowledge many times what do they teach up in Harvard? How about all his bowing in the Pacific? Barack Obama bowed to a Japanese figure head, the son of the Emperor of Japan that attacked US, the Chinese, The Koreans and the Philippians. First Pacific President my A$$. He doesn’t care who he insults by not observing proper protocol.

Check out Janet Napolitano’s claim that the 9/11 terrorist came across the Canadian border and that the Northern Border is as violent as the Southern Border. It’s striking because she is the Secretary of the DHS, a position which can wield a great deal of power, you would wish she would know something about the “Facts” average everyday Americans live with.

Dr Evil on April 30, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I’ve been having some trouble accessing the new site.

Initially I can see the new site but after clicking on links to pages posted yesterday I only see the version available at midnight.

The following fix worked for me (in Windows XP)

my network places
view network connections
click the connection you use
click repair this connection

Clearing history as suggested last night didn’t help.

Hope this helps those who may have the same problem.

agmartin on April 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

There is now enough of these Obama boners to fill a book and start a meme of Obama being clueless of some very important facts.

OxyCon on April 30, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I’ve been having some trouble accessing the new site.

agmartin on April 30, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Whew!
I almost freaked out when I signed on to here this morning.
I was like “WTF???” “I’ve been banned!!!” “Obamatrons have hacked the site!!!” “It’s the beginning of the end!!!” “Lock and load!!11!!!”

Buster flashed up “Chill, dude, it’s just that their IT guy is a putz.” “They’ll figure things out in a few days.”

justltl on April 30, 2010 at 11:16 AM