Hey, shouldn’t Obama skip that odious White House Correspondents Dinner and head to the gulf?

posted at 9:11 pm on April 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not my idea, although I wish I could take credit for it. In fact, it comes from far-left Nation editor Katrina Vanden Heuvel by way of Tapper. She’s predicting exactly what’s going to happen, I think: If the spill is as horrifically bad as news stories are making it sound — the environmental equivalent of a Category Five hurricane — then the optics of The One larfing it up with Jay Leno while star-humping journalists look on simply won’t fly. In fact, I’m already hearing grumbles on Twitter about him and Michelle having enjoyed a getaway in North Carolina last weekend, days after the oil rig exploded, even though the magnitude of the disaster didn’t become apparent until the last few days. Get thee to New Orleans, champ. I’m sure Biden will be happy to hobnob with the “Jersey Shore” cast or whatever at the big f***ing deal that is the WHCD.

Or am I being too hard on The One? His attendance at “Nerdprom,” as the people who desperately want to see and be seen but are too ashamed to admit it ironically dub the event, won’t make the oil flow any faster or slower. Shouldn’t we be beyond the dopey photo-op politics that the left demanded of Bush? A galaxy of status-obsessed losers will be in D.C. this weekend hoping to glimpse the president. It’d be a shame to disappoint them. Let’s vote on it!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If Katrina was Bush’s fault, then this oil spill is…..Bush’s fault??

nazo311 on May 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM

nazo311 on May 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Thats what they’ll be saying!

becki51758 on May 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Barracky boy:
“What? There’s an oil slick on my golf course? Send in the SWAT team”

Cybergeezer on May 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I’m really happy for you and imma let you finish, but I heard that Barack Obama blew up that oil rig as part of his plan to cripple the oil industry and end all offshore drilling. That way we’ll be beholden to Hugo and the Muslims.

Also, Barack Obama doesn’t care about white people.

/Kanye East

Pablo on May 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Dont look now but as of Saturday morning the new estimate is that the gushing oil is coming out at about 5x the original estimate and it could take WEEKS to get it stopped.

This could be a perfect Environmental storm so-to-speak.
Worst case scenario? Oil coming ashore (and the consistent descrip has been it’s a heavy asphalt type oil) from Louisiana to the white sands of the Emerald Coast in the Destin,FL area all the way down to the Florida Keys.

That happens you could be looking at a shutdown of 1/4 of US domestic production. Think of the impacts across the economy!!

If this goes worst case BP could be bankrupt /assets seized and this could even be used as an excuse for nationalization of the Energy Industry.

But don’t worry the Destroyer is in charge in DC. Go back to your Little league games and piano lessons for the kids America, no worries.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM

The MSM needs to get with ‘the program’; Start using ‘Twitter’ and ‘FaceBook’ for news flashes, especially to Barracky boy. Otherwise, he’s as far in the dark as Usama.

Cybergeezer on May 1, 2010 at 9:01 AM

PappyD61 on May 1, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Right you are. This is better than any ‘manufactured crisis’ they could imagine.
They haven’t even begun to harness it’s potential to cripple a huge segment of the U.S. economy, as you say.
We know it’s coming!

Cybergeezer on May 1, 2010 at 9:05 AM

So; How is it that these ‘accidents’ don’t happen to oil rigs of other nations, whom just so happen to be working the Gulf along with the U.S.?

Cybergeezer on May 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM

wow, and i thought the great one could hold back the waters, turn the winds, and perform an assortment of other miracles.

i guess he is human afterall….and a failing one at that.

jbh45 on May 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM

H*ll no. That meme was used for years for the libs to bash Bush and it should be just as useful for the right. Obama doesn’t care about white fishermen. /

katiejane on May 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM

or, he could just send the plane for a flyover. This is turning out to be a win-win perfect storm crisis for Rhambo to manage.

Kissmygrits on May 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Well, he can raise and lower the levels of oceans. That might come in handy.

bitsy on May 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Has there been any mention that this could be a case of domestic terrorism, committed by eco-terrorists who are determined to shut down ALL oil production in the Gulf?

Just a thought.

pullingmyhairout on May 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Even the NYT is pitching in with a front-page article on how the US missed chances to act.

Most amazing of all, their lead editorial seems to be comparing The One to “hapless Bush.”

They should have titled it Heck of a Job, Bamy.

Drained Brain on May 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Cybergeezer on May 1, 2010 at 9:07 AM

BP stands for British Petroleum.

darclon on May 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM

katiejane on May 1, 2010 at 9:09 AM

How about Vietnamese fisherman? How does Cao feel about that?

darclon on May 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Piffle. The One giving up an opportunity to be slobbered over for an evening vs. being seen as caring?

Not a chance.

tru2tx on May 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Plus, he’s speaking to the Univ of Michigan Commencement.

kingsjester on May 1, 2010 at 10:33 AM

What should Obama do on Saturday night?

1. Go to the gulf. Show us you care!

2. Go to the dinner. “Caring” photo ops are for chumps.

3. Resign the presidency in disgrace and let sane people take charge of this country.

I say 3

Wine_N_Dine on May 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM

If Katrina was Bush’s fault, then this oil spill is…..Bush’s fault??

nazo311 on May 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM

This disaster was BP’s fault. I just heard of Fox News that they did not prepare for such a disaster and downplayed the possibility that it could even happen. This isn’t a natural disaster so the comparison is silly.

fastestslug on May 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM

ChickaBOOMer: Washington’s Lost Weekend

StewartIII on May 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Can`t vote because no option three:

Obama don`t care about nothing but doing things his waaaaaay . . . .I did things myyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyy!!

Obama in Vegas, baby. And I hope Obummer stays in Vegas.

Not that he is really welcome there, as you folks well know.

Sherman1864 on May 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM

He should go to the WHCD and laugh it up, so we can use the video in ads this fall and in 2012.
rockbend on April 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Yes. And if we do, God knows they’ve got it coming, after they way they acted in 2005. But the truth is there is absolutely nothing useful he can do here – except get in the way while he has a photo op. Bush had the decency to stay in the plane and just do a flyover. I hope that Obama does too – though I seriously doubt it.

Laura on April 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Couldn’t agree more Laura and I live in S.Louisiana.

Reminds me, a month or so after Katrina, I was in the Reagan Airport in DC. So happens Sharpton was leaving a line I was standing in. I said, as he passed me, “I hope you’re not going to Louisiana.” The lady standing next to me said, I hope he’s not going to S. Carolina either. Another guy, who overheard, got angry with both of us, and left the line.

Bush made the right decision to do a flyover after Katrina. The Katrina disaster was the result of incompetent LA State officials.

SoldiersMom on May 2, 2010 at 10:56 AM