Democrats may get run over by the Grandmas

posted at 3:35 pm on April 30, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama surged to power in 2008 mainly on the enthusiasm of younger voters. He may find his Democratic allies on Capitol Hill swept out of power by the other end of the demographic spectrum. McClatchy reports that a new George Washington University Battleground poll shows that seniors will charge to the polls on Election Day, and that’s bad news for Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid:

Democrats have glimpsed their biggest threat this fall, and she is Grandma.

One reason President Barack Obama and other party leaders are rolling out campaigns this week to energize young and minority voters for November’s elections is that they’ve seen the polling data on senior citizens, and it’s ugly.

Democrats once counted on voters older than 65, but many seniors’ loyalties changed in the past decade. That’s partly because of the parties’ stands on policy such as fiscal and personal responsibility, and partly, experts said, because the demographic changed. Many of today’s seniors started voting in the 1950s, when Republican Dwight Eisenhower was president. The number of seniors whom FDR converted to Democrats in the ’30s is shrinking fast. …

A George Washington University Battleground Poll this month found that only 36 percent of likely voters who were 65 and older approved of the health care legislation, which expands and mandates health insurance coverage. That was the lowest approval rating of any voter age group.

For November’s congressional elections, the poll found that seniors are far more inclined to vote for Republicans than for Democrats, by 48 percent to 33 percent.

Building a power base on younger voters is akin to building a house on sand. It might work well because there’s just so much sand, but the next wave carries a good portion of it out. Reigniting the enthusiasm of younger voters will be harder this year, mainly because there will be no Barack Obama at the top of the ticket. Instead, younger voters will see choices of eminences grises and wonder what happened to the Hope and Change.

For older voters, the rapid and radical shift to the Left has them worried.  McClatchy tries its best to chalk it up to dastardly Republican “myths” about ObamaCare, but the 25% of them who relied on Medicare Advantage know that the cuts to the program were no ghost story.  These seniors have seen their life savings dwindle during the economic collapse and bailouts, and the lack of larger-scale economic growth in the normal recovery period has to have them anxious about their ability to keep pace with their fixed and sudden costs.  Couple that with the coming burdens on energy prices from cap-and-trade, and those living on fixed incomes have plenty of reason to dump Democrats.

Comments

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head.

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas Eve…”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

[tap, tap]

Is this thing on?

Hello?

YYZ on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Democrats have glimpsed their biggest threat this fall, and she is Grandma.

It would explain the need to call in SWAT teams to handle those evil TEA Party protesters.

VibrioCocci on April 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Haha….revenge of the “blue hairs”. I love it. Go get’em grandma!

milwife88 on April 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Watch Nancy speed up the Granny Killing machine once this reaches her desk. We can’t have the pesky elderly mucking up the liberal agenda now, can we? It’s for the greater good!

capejasmine on April 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM

This Xmas may not be punctuated by Grandma got run’d over by a reindeer,

We may talking more about Grandma got to run’d over a red nosed moonbat.

Speakup on April 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

VibrioCocci on April 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM

How dare they sing the national anthem, and how dare they believe in God Bless America, without their God being Obama!

capejasmine on April 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Considering that they called the riot squad on Grandma, I can understand Grandma quite well.

INC on April 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Well, Grandma is obviously a racist.

I mean, she bakes chocolate cakes for crying out loud.

BacaDog on April 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Nice.

BadgerHawk on April 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM

“Radical shift to the LEFT” has them worried. Democrats? Why would they be worried about a shift to the left? Am I reading this RIGHT? BTW: I chalk it up to the all-pervasiveness of the dems legislative agenda. If I wanted to live in Russia, I would move there. Why don’t they?

TimothyJ on April 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM

How do they get this old not having learned that you don’t piss off Grandma, and not live to regret it? Not the typical white OR any other shade of Grandmas. They just get sick of monkey business and let you know what’s what.

A grandma in my family was having the 1-2-3 time-out concept explained to her. The next time a young one in her charge misbehaved, she looked at him the first time and said “That’s THREE!” In her day, they just didn’t put up with it.

hoosiermama on April 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Ed, you didn’t get the article I sent you earlier? This would have been a perfect place to add a link to that story.

Abby Adams on April 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Let me just remind everybody that “Grandma” is not that old. Ed is a “Grandpa” — no? — and he is only 47. Presumably the FirstMate is similarly aged.

So, senior citizens are one thing, but watch who you’re callin’ grandma.

DaydreamBeliever on April 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Rostenkowski!

Inanemergencydial on April 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head.

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas Eve…”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Giggle,! Ya beat me to it. That will be stuck in my head longer that Lydia the Tattoed Lady

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Does anyone benefit more from Obama’s socialism than grandma? Grandma’s entitlements will continue to increase Chinese control over US fiscal policy.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

The college voter in Kalifornia got hit with a huge…nay DRACONIAN increase in tuition under Komrade Obama and the donks.

jukin on April 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Nice.

BadgerHawk on April 30, 2010 at 4:21 PM

The current sand is full of cat poop.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 4:31 PM

“Typical white women” ?

macncheez on April 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Remember when Harry Reid’s put his foot in his mouth with his remarks about Obama’s non-negro dialect?

It was called a “grandpa-ism” by a MSM desperate to preserve Dear Leader’s cabana boy during the HCR fight.

Look for that term to come roaring back to life as an explanation/slander as to why older people are not supporting a non-lily white president.

Mr Snuggle Bunny on April 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM

My mom is 87 and lives in an area with a lot of old people. They are all going to storm the polls in November. Their troll Congressman voted for ObamaCare because he was afraid of a primary challenge from a black state senator. They had a huge Tea Party last August and those people have a lot of time on their hands to organize and get out the vote.

rockmom on April 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Do you mean that SS thingy that I paid into for over 40 years? Believe me, you couldn’t support na cat on that. Gee, so sorry you think you are supporting me. I’ll be working till the grave.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

jukin on April 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, but they’re all blaming Ahnold because he won’t ask for another ginormous tax increase.

rockmom on April 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

blink and ernesto will be along shortly to explain why the older folks are wrong to be worried here; there’s nothing really wrong, and that to focus on that is simply cherry-picking when there’s so much offsetting good news out there.

Any moment now, as soon as Axelrod faxes them their talking points…

Midas on April 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Though they suffered through Carter, this older generation never sat around whining for Democratic members of Congress to extend employment benefits while a Democratic president took an Econ 101 course. And the sure as h*ll expect to see an administration shell out so much stimulus money to union constituents.

My parents are in their late 70s, and they and all their wide circle of friend hate Obama with a passion. In fact, hate isn’t a strong enough word.

BuckeyeSam on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I learned at a very young age….

You don’t mess with old people!

CurtZHP on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

This is just one demographic. The country is quietly, but restlessly and on allert, laying is wait, like a lioness observing her prey, until Nov. 02.

1966 likely

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

That and Medicare, especially the prescription drug portion. The demographic shift along with health care inflation will squeeze the other parts of the budget or lower the US credit rating.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Are grandmas and grandpas racists?

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas EveElection Eve…

You can say there no such thing as Re-venge, as for me and America, we believe!”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

FTFY :)

upinak on April 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Lefties do their best to destroy civic-mindedness, the idea of citizenship, and the sense of duty to maintain ones rights and privileges.

Then they wonder why it is so hard to get their target constituencies out to the polls……

Sekhmet on April 30, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I’ve lived 3/4 of a century and I have never seen a better reason to rush to the polls and vote than now. If theey aren’t deliberately trying to take America down then they are accidentally doing exactly what is necessary to do that.

It isn’t that Obama is inexperienced -it’s that the voters are too inexperienced and naive about this radical turn in history. Every day rational people have to blink and ask themselves why no one is stopping them.

Never before in history has a great nation voluntarily given away its freedom -and we’re doing just that every day by not stopping this travesty.

Vote them out and don’t be intimidated granny because they’ll try, believe me, they’ll try!

Don L on April 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I can hear Rahm on the phone with AARP now. “Get your @#$!%@#!%$#@% Methuselahs in line there, you @%!@#!% old @^!^#^#!%^&#ers!!!”

Patrick S on April 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

So, senior citizens are one thing, but watch who you’re callin’ grandma.

DaydreamBeliever on April 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Yeah. I’m 40 & now I’m a grandma.
I was hoping to be at least 45.

Badger40 on April 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

BuckeyeSam on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Much to dislike about Team Obama, but our fiscal irresponsibility largely benefits the elderly over the generations currently working and paying taxes. Even Reagan couldn’t address social security w/o the elderly rebelling.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Uh huh, so you are young and all p$ssy about that huge chunk out of your paycheck. Complain to your representatives. I haven’t seen a doctor in 30 years. Not costing you a dime.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Give the “youth” another two and a half years of double digit unemployment and just see how excited they are about re-electing President Toonces.

trapeze on April 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Yeah. I’m 40 & now I’m a grandma.
I was hoping to be at least 45.

Badger40 on April 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

But he /she is a cutie, yes?

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Oh great ……. so does that mean that on election day the roads will be filled with cars with their blinkers always on ??

Jerome Horwitz on April 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

This is what the death panels are for…

Kafir on April 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

For older voters, the rapid and radical shift to the Left has them worried. McClatchy tries its best to chalk it up to dastardly Republican “myths” about ObamaCare, but the 25% of them who relied on Medicare Advantage know that the cuts to the program were no ghost story. These seniors have seen their life savings dwindle during the economic collapse and bailouts, and the lack of larger-scale economic growth in the normal recovery period has to have them anxious about their ability to keep pace with their fixed and sudden costs. Couple that with the coming burdens on energy prices from cap-and-trade, and those living on fixed incomes have plenty of reason to dump Democrats.

These older voters also have longer memories. They remember an America far different from the one Obama is trying to create. It is just too much change for them and they don’t think it is for the better, for them or anyone else.

Terrye on April 30, 2010 at 5:16 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM

It’s the aggregate not the individual numbers. In 1950 there were 16 workers for every retiree. Today that number is just over 3, and heading lower.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

One of the consequences of abortion, IMHO.

INC on April 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Check out this grandma from Nevada – someone of whom Harry Reid should be very afraid.

She set NV state records in weightlifting 20 years ago, still works out regularly, and occasionally packs a S&W 44 Magnum.

She also won the Ronald Reagan Freedom Medallion for defending the NV state constitution from all 3 branches of her own state government (see Angle v. Guinn at SCOTUS).

fred5678 on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I learned at a very young age….

You don’t mess with old people!

CurtZHP on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

WildBillK on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Obamacare, just one example, is a terrible policy response to a serious matter. It’s so ill-conceived I could spit. And now, even the Obama administration wants discussion of it shoved to the sideline.

These people didn’t sign up for European-style social democracy while Democrats ruin markets on the underside by irresponsible lending to deadbeat borrowers and on topside with financial “reform” that favors all the big Democratic contributors. Seriously, no Fannie and Freddie reform? It’s like trying to talk about “comprehensive” immigration reform without shoring up the borders first.

BuckeyeSam on April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

One of the consequences of abortion, IMHO.

INC on April 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Yes, along with the pill.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Some of us younger voters (not many, sadly) will be laughing up our sleeves at the suckers who believed it was coming in the first place.

Better late than never I suppose…but let’s hope it’s not too late!

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Aww, got some news for ya. I’m still paying into it with my taxes. Maybe you should be whining to the welfare rats.

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

As James (“Serpent Head”) Carvelle once said :”There is a term for candidates who depend on the youth vote. The term is ‘Loser’.”

kurtzz3 on April 30, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Just wait until all of those college grads start looking for jobs. My nephew in his sort college career has changed his major a couple of times or sought out extra education for the changing job scene. He wants to buy a house and start his life. Fortunately, he was one of the McCain voters, but his friends are having a difficult time finding work.
I’ve never seen unemployment this bad this long. Grandma or not, we are not going to put up with this administration.

BetseyRoss on April 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Sorry if I am repeating

“You would think, they would be thanking me!” Obama

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

rockmom on April 30, 2010 at 4:35 PM

And they have been to this rodeo before many, many times since they were young and foolish. They know how important it is to GOTV, they know how, and they will.

txmomof6 on April 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I’m not actually a grandma but I am grandma-aged. I will eagerly “charge to the polls” next year to do my part to try and get politicians who actually represent me instead of minimize me.

FEAR ME, SUCKAS! I’m your worst nightmare!

TeeDee on April 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I’m not grandma-aged, but I’m in line for Nov. 2nd already. I’ll just wait right here ’til the polls open….

Grace_is_sufficient on April 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM

What’s interesting about this is that most of the Dems in Congress are Blue Hairs! The only thing different is that Congress critters are not on fixed incomes, they vote themselves raises practically every session, they are not part of Social Security and they have their own golden health care. What’s not to like?

I’m ready to drive every Grand Ma and Grand Pa to the polls. Matter of fact every Republican should make sure their cars are loaded with our Seasoned Citizens this November. Now that’s Hope and Change I can believe in!

Atlanta Media Guy on April 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas Eve…”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

winner on the first post!

cmsinaz on April 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Atlanta Media Guy on April 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

You forgot what a great pension plan they have for completing one term only.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I’m a grandpa 3 times now, and you can f$%^ with me all you want. But, you F^&*ed with my grandkids’ future and now I’m really p.o.’d. Vote the b’tards out!

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head.

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas Eve…”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Can’t get rid of that song….

But me and all my KS geezer friends will have better luck getting rid of our Blue Dog Congressman Moore…and his wife…and their little dog, too!!!

(Constant humming in my head…)
‘Bama got run over by a Grandma….

landlines on April 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM

fred5678 on April 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM

A GMILF.

TXUS on April 30, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Both hubby and myself are the over the hill thing. I just love it when aarp sends us stuff in the mail. If it has no postage required, it gets other crud we get in the mail sent back to them at their expense. I would NOT ever support this group. We are mad and we vote!
L

letget on April 30, 2010 at 6:58 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Two things have affected that ratio.
1) less children per family
2) 40 million + abortions.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Mirimichi on April 30, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I might have overlooked the screw job on me but messing with the future of my 2 children and 7 grand children changed the dynamics. I’ll do what it takes to target these spendthrifts for unemployment in the upcoming election cycles.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Keep in mind that Sarah’s parents really like her and she really likes them. A few well-placed comments by Sarah about how important they are to each other will cause a tsunami among the seniors.

Also, keep in mind that seniors visit doctors far more than any other age group. And just what do you suppose those seniors are talking about while with their doctors?

They’re discussing how much seniors need doctors and vice versa.

November 2 – there will be blood, none of it conservative.

platypus on April 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Two things have affected that ratio.
1) less children per family
2) 40 million + abortions.

chemman on April 30, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Good point, though as Rummy might say, “you don’t pay for social programs with the demographics you wish you had..” It takes about 25 years to grow a taxpayer. We either have to import more or trim entitlement programs.

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 7:13 PM

This Grandma is not only going to vote, I am going to do everything in my power to get them out! Money,time, and effort. I have already been working against them and will continue until the Progressives are gone! I am willing to do anything legal to get it done. I have NEVER done much more then vote. How many are like me? 100′s, 1000′s, millions?
mmmmm mmmm mmmm

IowaWoman on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

“Obama got ran over by a Grandma… walking from our house Christmas Eve…”

Enoxo on April 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I’d suggest a slight modification:
“walking from the White House Christmas Eve”

But I certainly like the idea.

Bigfoot on April 30, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I can only guess that the SEIU will be present on election day to beat the living hell out of any one sporting a hint of grey in their hair.

elderberry on April 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I hope Grandma is carrying weapons to deal with SEIU thugs and Black Panther hoodlums with their nightsticks.

royzer on April 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM

IowaWoman on April 30, 2010 at 7:25 PM

You and me and everybody I know! I have never been so determined to not only vote, but knock on doors, make phone calls, personal visits, send emails, to work to defeat the Obama statist agenda.

When I was a younger sort, I was busy raising kids and making ends meet. I was very sanguine about politics, let things just flow. Whatever….

Now, I am a warrior. I am computer literate and am also on first name terms with my state rep. I have lots of friends and I have all the time in the world to be politically active.

I am not yet infirm, I am aware, I am not alone.

marybel on April 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM

How about the moose-shootin’ Grandma herself, Sarah Palin?

Steve Z on May 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Go Granny, Go Granny, Go Granny, Go! :)

Greyledge Gal on May 1, 2010 at 2:48 AM

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 4:36 PM

dedalus on April 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 30, 2010 at 5:32 PM

I’m with Katy here…

Describing Social Security pension benefits as an entitlement is really not accurate. It is a GOVERNMENT RUN pension fund that has been raided by the government for decades. It’s really not reasonable to our retirees to give the impression that it’s a Senior Citizens Welfare Check from Uncle Sam, because it’s not. It is however a fixed cost in the government budget.

Our current seniors are a huge block of hard WORKING people who have paid into the system for decades. During the healthcare town halls, seniors were mocked that THEIR government entitlement was ok. The current and upcoming senior generation was the largest block of workers ever. They have paid more of their hard earned dollars into social security than any other generation, have paid more in taxes to support The Great Society than any other generation and have worked their butts off to turn the country around after the debacle of the Carter years. Many are still working and paying into the system.

There are many contributing factors why the Social Security fund is broke, such as fewer younger workers contributing to the pool and that big block of baby boomers entering retirement. But one big reason the fund is broke is that for years the government “borrowed” from the social security fund to use the money for other things. Then the gov’t was issued IOUs by the Treasury Dept. Payouts for retirees’ social security checks were made on borrowed money. So now the Treasury IOUs are coming due and we have massive national debt and the gov’t more than likely cannot borrow anymore funds (not that we want them to).

Bill Clinton used Social Security funds pay the national debt. So the government once again has taken our money and used it in a shell game reminiscent of how GM paid off their TARP loan with ….TARP money. What would happen if evil wicked business had misused contributors’ pension funds?

So keep going Obama admin… keep insulting the biggest block of workers and voters ever.

EternalVigilance on May 1, 2010 at 10:14 AM

I am not yet infirm, I am aware, I am not alone.

marybel on April 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Well stated, Mary. A great President of ours once said that ‘all change in America begins around the kitchen table’ and that change in attitude and willingness to work for political change has been happening for the past fourteen months at kitchen tables all around the country. I fully expect a political tsunami this November, and also expect the MSM to still not understand what is happening or why it is happening.

Red State State of Mind on May 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM