Tech alert: Hot Air server migration tonight; Update: What to do tomorrow

posted at 8:09 pm on April 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

As Joe Biden might say, this is a big f***ing deal. We’ve been cruising along on Michelle’s server since the Salem acquisition in February, but as of this morning our tech wizard (and new dad!) Mark Jaquith has the virtual U-Haul packed and ready to roll. The good news? Salem’s servers should make the site load twice as fast and will guarantee stability as traffic gets heavy in the fall. The bad news? In order to shift us over to Salem HQ, Mark has to unplug parts of the site tonight — including comments. Things should be fine until 9 or 9:30 ET, but after that everyone’s posting privileges will shut down (including mine and Ed’s). So don’t get nervous when you see the “you are not permitted to leave comments” message. You haven’t been banned; that just means that Mark has the U-Haul on the road.

We’ve also got a minor redesign in the works which should be visible soon. Everything will be in its familiar place — Headlines, Top Picks, the Blog, the Greenroom — but things should look a bit tidier on the front page. Stay tuned.

Update: A word to the wise from techies who are e-mailing: If you find yourself still unable to leave comments tomorrow morning, try clearing your cache. And please be patient. For some readers, it could take a full day before the migration is complete and you’re able to see new content on the site.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Some of the IE6 layout problems can be seen here.

RD on April 30, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Okay, now I’m here from the iPhone to using FireFox. My comments box is being jicky. Sometimes the HA logo shows up and it says I’m logged in but no box. And don’t tell me to clear the cache, I’ve done it multiple times. Refreshing and re-logging in I’m getting the comment box 20% of the time and the HA logo the rest.

Okay, FireFox has it loading fine which if that’s what you’re here for then I guess that’s okay. But the, again, I don’t like the design. It looks like it was done on MS Word and more like a typeset design rather than the original unique feel. It really looks like TownHalls stepchild with all the ads although it’s probably worse, I suspect without Firefox. Ads everywhere and it makes reading the content harder. Sorry, not trying to tell you not to make money and have ads but when the ads overpower your own logo and design it’s TOO MUCH. I see that Salem tried to keep the content intact as much as possible while providing themselves traffic via the links. I understand the reasoning and it’s smart on their part since HA is so popular with Conservatives. BUT, I just think they missed the mark in design. Nice effort. I’m sorry, I just don’t like the cramped word processing feel of the site. *shrug*

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Sha-zam!

Nice new look.

BobMbx on April 30, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Too much… Don’t like the new design at ALL.
Diane on April 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM

On IE6 the maroon color and bad anti-aliasing is really obnoxious. On Firefox it looks a lot less intrusive and, therefore, “better”, because the color clash is less noticeable.

OTOH, on Firefox, the whole page jogs to the left as soon as it starts loading the new, fatter right banner. New sport on page load: “watch the HotAir logo jump to the left”.

RD on April 30, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Let’s see if it works…

Bob's Kid on April 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Oh, and I don’t much like the red either, but then…I went to Cal where red is evil, so I guess that’s to be expected. :)

Bob's Kid on April 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Thought i’d come back after i had my coffee to see if i liked it and, no, i don’t. Like i said earlier, it feels like Townhall in that it seems designed for ads, not content. The things i want to read are all squished over to the left, in fact the way the huge banner ad on top ridicolously dwarfs the Hot Air logo pretty much sums it up. Plenty of sites can make their money with ads whi;e staying reader friemdly with a good design, too bad Salem can’t figure that out.

clearbluesky on April 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Title now showing, behind the menu bar except for the top of the flame, Firefox 3.6.3.

Also, a redesign and move all at once? How many times does THAT lesson need to be learned?

Merovign on April 30, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Love the new look. It looks so…….. Newy!

ThePrez on April 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I don’t like the design. It looks like it was done on MS Word and more like a typeset design rather than the original unique feel. BUT, I just think they missed the mark in design. Nice effort. I’m sorry, I just don’t like the cramped word processing feel of the site. *shrug*

Sultry Beauty on April 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and the colors don’t seem as vivid or vibrant, which for me made HotAir a happy and cheerful place to be. Bold colors no pale pastels. In other words I like the old eye candy not this washed out version.

redridinghood on April 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Complained last night about the design. I can’t stand it this morning. This has become an ad nightmare. Not sure if I will log onto hotair 5 times a day now. I might not log in 5 times a week. Sorry, but it has totally sold out now and just isn’t the same.

flash044 on April 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Maybe it’s nitpicking, since the “Home” button is right underneath the HotAir logo, but can’t someone take 90 seconds and make the logo a link that does the same thing?

HotAir is usually the first place I go in the morning, before coffee, and neither my eyes nor my fingers are at their best then. A larger target for my clicks to refresh the page would really help.

Also, perhaps it’s just my taste, but I too dislike the overly-corporate new design. There was just the right measure of “casual” on the old page.

LooseCannon on April 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Test

Warner Todd Huston on April 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM

In Firefox 3.6.3, the Hot Air logo at the top of the homepage is hiding behind the title bar and body. All I can see is the tip of the flame. Can that be fixed?

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM

flash044 on April 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Use Firefox, along with the AdBlock Plus add-on.

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Use Firefox, along with the AdBlock Plus add-on.

Ward Cleaver on April 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

It still looks annoying….oh well thats the way things go.

flash044 on April 30, 2010 at 7:06 PM