Open thread: Shameless careerist ready to “fight the machine” or something

posted at 4:52 pm on April 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Coming at 5 p.m. ET to a cable network near you, Charlie Crist explains the deep, principled opposition to our decadent two-party system that he suddenly developed, like, two weeks ago. How cynically repulsive is this party switch? Repulsive enough to have David Frum suddenly waving the banner of tea-party darling Marco Rubio. No foolin’:

The center right has got to hold together. We cannot afford more NY-23s. In all but the most extreme circumstances, the rule has to be that those who participate in a party contest abide by the results of that process. It’s one thing if the race is Lieberman v. Lamont, and what’s at issue is success or failure in war. I used that comparison in a tweet today, but it does not stand up to scrutiny: the differences between Crist and Rubio are much more differences in tone, temperament, and personality. Had Crist prevailed in the Florida Republican primary, he would have had every valid reason to expect Rubio to support the outcome. The reverse should have held true.

Top Republicans are naturally demanding their money back from Crist today; true to venal form, he’s returning donations pro-rated. Why do that given the bad press it’s going to stir up for him? Because he has no choice. The well is running dry:

[O]ne Florida source with knowledge of the Republican money game argued that Crist is badly underestimating the number of refunds that will be asked for/demanded. If it’s $1 million then Crist can weather it; if it’s $3 million (or more) that is a problem. The other piece of the money puzzle for Crist is how he can raise enough money — in addition to what he has already collected — to be competitive in such a pricey state in which to run for office. Crist will undoubtedly keep some of his closest money men (and women) but we are talking about a $15 million plus endeavor for a serious general election campaign and it’s not yet clear how he can get to that number. It’s also worth remembering that Crist has never in his political career had to worry about being outspent; he had been, until very recently, one of the pre-eminent fundraisers in the GOP.

The other question o’ the day is whether he can win. Larry Sabato thinks he’s got a slim chance, but check the math in this post by Ben Smith. To have a credible shot, he needs 35 percent of Republicans and 30 percent of Democrats, which almost certainly isn’t happening. Which brings me to Jay Cost’s spot-on analysis on why Crist is simply insane to run this year instead of cooling off and trying again in 2012. Some of it overlaps with things I’ve been saying lately, but the point about strategic voting bears quoting:

Remember the New Jersey governor’s race? Independent Christopher Daggett was polling at 10%, but only got 5.8% on Election Day. There’s a reason for that. American elections are winner take all, which makes it very difficult for third parties to thrive. Once voters catch wind that a vote for a third party candidate is a waste, they’ll bail on that candidate. This suggests that Crist is going to have to “defeat” either Marco Rubio or Kendrick Meek prior to Election Day. Now, how do you suppose he’s going to do that? He hasn’t been able to defeat Rubio yet. That means he will have to nullify Meek. I’m skeptical he’ll be able to do that. As an African American, Meek can expect strong support from the roughly 14% of the electorate that is black. That’s one big problem. Another big problem is that Crist will first have to get the Democratic Party establishment to get behind him, and the White House is refusing to take his calls. With good reason. They’re banking that Crist will siphon off just enough votes from Rubio to elect Meek. And anyway, with Roland Burris leaving the upper chamber next year, there might not be a single African American Senator in the 112th Congress. Can the Democratic establishment really turn its back on Meek – for Charlie Crist of all people? No way!

Independent candidates simply don’t win true three-way elections, and cynical, careerist, opportunistic, lying candidates really don’t win in a political climate like 2010. This guy is virtually the antithesis of the tea-party ethos — ironically, given the media blather about tea partiers embracing third parties — and yet he’s betting his political future that he can overcome it all and squeak through. I’ll give him this: He’s got balls. But not much else. Stand by for video.

Update: MSNBC’s got a live feed. Commenters are telling me the presser’s been pushed back to 5:30.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Indeed.

To prevent that, I suggest making a hat out of bacon. Crispy…crispy…bacon.

Slublog on April 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM

You must dribble milk chocolate on it….

can I help you eat it?

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Does anyone have any idea what that means? Sounds shady to me.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2010 at 6:33 PM

My guess is….what he hasn’t spent, will be divided, and given back to said donators? However…he should be ashamed of himself. He gave his word he’d not run as an independent, and rather than do what’s best for his party, and his state, he’s doing what’s best for himself, and the Dems. He’s a disgraceful creature.

capejasmine on April 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Kensington on April 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM

I wonder how long it will take for this mistake to become obvious to him?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Here’s hoping you go hungry.

bw222 on April 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Why? Have you had Port’s wife cake… I think Port wants to have a talk with you.

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Politico: Crist says he’s remaining a registered Republican as governor but is going Indie for Senate.

amerpundit on April 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I’m thinking of demanding my donation back from Crist, and I didn’t give him one.

GnuBreed on April 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

OT: Obama is clueless. He sent a SWAT team to the leaking oil rig. (Eyeroll).

andy85719 on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

He announced they were sending SWAT teams to all the Gulf rigs. The rig in question sunk days ago.

This incident began with an explosion, highly unusual. And the automatic cutoff valves at the well head deep below the sea somehow didn’t work or perhaps were damaged. Environmental terrorism is suspected and the move to send SWAT teams, with bomb detection technology, to the other rigs is an indication, at least, that the Regime is taking the suspicions seriously.

If it turns out to be an act of terrorism, and I wouldn’t doubt it, our problems just got a lot bigger.

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Jetboy, I voted I think you’ve suffered enough…

So are ya backing Rubio now or Meeks?

CCRWM on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I wonder how long it will take for this mistake to become obvious to him?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2010 at 6:37 PM

It all depends on how delusional he is, and he appears to be quite so.

But I’d like to think there will be a time later this evening when he’s alone for a moment, and he sits down, and it hits him, and he knows, really knows, that he just screwed everything up and threw it all away.

Kensington on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

While it is easy to have contempt for Crist, we will not be laughing when the next batch of hurricanes hit and FL is bankrupt because this phony, 90 IQ populist ran off the property insurers. And we are on the hook for the entire liability.

johnboy on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Yeah I have to agree with you. The only thing that I could think of is the flare malfunctions and didn’t spark up or the spark died and that had a back flare. Or somewhere there was a methane leak. Diesel doesn’t blow up right away.. it takes some good burning time. Working in a Semi shop you learn you can smoke around the engines and not have to worry about blowing up.

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

That’s already happening. Crist has said he’ll return donations on a “pro-rated” basis.

speed911 on April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I know how that deal works:

“If you are not completely satisfied, simply return the unused portion of (fill in the blank), and we will return the unused portion of your money.

JusDreamin on April 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

you both are forgetting that before the Az immigration law the senate was about to take up cap-and -trade. as we all know Obama needs a crisis to move his bills what better way to pass his green energy boondoggle then to highlight how unsafe oil drilling is?

Yes the socialists have gotton to the point where I see connections to everything

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yet, do you realize how hard it is to get on a Rig? I don’t think this was sabotage. A fire like that is due to a leak.

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Blasphemer!!!!! /s

portlandon on April 29, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Cultist!!!!! /s

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM

JetBoy on April 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

ood to see edible ahaead. We do feel your pain.

katy the mean old lady on April 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

You are probably right but like the Goldman suit before finacial reform I just find the two events to close. I guess I’m saying I question the timing.

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I guess I’m saying I question the timing.

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Kind of like Obama and Medevedevedeved signing the START Treaty, the riot breaks out dismantling a President and the Polish President dies in a horrific plane crash 12 hours later?

A Rig fire is statistically more prone to happen than what I just posted.

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

On rigs these days, there are so many systems and redundant systems to detect, limit and control flammable gasses, and to immediately shut down the rig should anything happen, it’s enough to raise serious suspicion.

Also crude oil itself is damned hard to set on fire, but when it does catch fire, particularly on a high volume/pressure well like this one, the fresh crude will suffocate the fire. Again, assuming a freak explosion, why didn’t the shutoff valves and the redundancies there also not work?

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I “Flipped The Switch”

Thank you for your recent contribution of $24.00 to Marco Rubio for US Senate.

Your support provides the necessary resources to help Marco Rubio for US Senate succeed in their efforts.

We look forward to working with you as the campaign progresses. Thank you again for all of your support and dedication.

Best regards,

The Marco Rubio for US Senate Team
04/29/2010

I’m not cheap, but I wanted to make a statement and am keeping my powder dry (so to speak) for the rest of the year. It’s going to be expensive! And political contributions, also…

Who is John Galt on April 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

johnboy on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I was wondering if anyone remembered that smart-boy oompa-loompa put the state of FL taxpayers on the hook for insurance.

belad on April 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

A Rig fire is statistically more prone to happen than what I just posted.

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM

yes but nothing says both can not occur. the plane crash seemed like a KGB plot to me. The roit again a KGB plot. this seems more like attempted sabatoage gone wrong.

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Man! How can Rahm Emmanuel get his hand up so many asses to make these puppets work?

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

upinak on April 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

We don’t know enough yet about the explosion but with enough C4 planted at the base, underwater via scuba divers, no access to the rig would be needed. Just sayin’. . .

But messing with the shutoff valves would require some pretty sophisticated work.

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Gross! There’s Crist ads on this here site already!

thebrokenrattle on April 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM

What the heck, why did this site turn into “Crist for Senate” central? Dang, does he really have money to waste like this, because I can’t imagine many people here voting for this . uh, uhm, err, ahh, . . . guy?

Fatal on April 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You know Three Mile Island happened 12 days after the release of The China Syndrome.

agmartin on April 29, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Well, vote at that poll in my screenname and lemme kno what to do. The vid will go up Monday. I’m out.

JetBoy on April 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Make it out of cake! With orange frosting! I really don’t want you to go to the hospital, because that would be cruelty on top of what you’ve suffered.

pookysgirl on April 29, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Put Amercians above self-serving politicians! Vote Marco Rubio!

*Charlie Crist ad ninja’d*

pookysgirl on April 29, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Hat eating time for JetBoy…

Somebody post the eating of the hat on YouTube!

JohnBG on April 29, 2010 at 8:26 PM

We’re all waiting for this…

JohnBG on April 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Only a uninformed fool would vote for a repeated liar. He was denying he plans to run as an independent as late as yesterday.

bayview on April 29, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Orange Judas…

Gohawgs on April 30, 2010 at 7:02 AM

unseen on April 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I, too, question the timing. Why did it take Obaka eight days to even acknowledge this happened?

ladyingray on April 30, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Whatever the final outcome of the race it is good that the Republican Party dumped this phony, self serving puke.

rplat on May 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM