Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on April 29, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When speaking at a campaign event and sharing the stage with a mayor looking to get re-elected, it helps to check if the President’s speech might contain a few speed bumps for the local candidate … or perhaps some potholes. Barack Obama managed to embarrass his host with a poorly-constructed analogy that touched a nerve with the rally attendees, as Jake Tapper reports:

“This will bear on how we think about our federal budget in the future,” he said. “Everybody dislikes Washington right now, and everybody wants to lower their taxes. Everybody hates waste in government. But at the same time, you know, government does some important things like helping to make sure you’ve got clean drinking water and that your roads aren’t full of potholes.”

The “potholes” reference may have been an uncomfortable one for Ottumwa Mayor Dale Uehling, given the current situation in this small town. The headline of an Ottumwa Courier story from last month was, “Warning: Rough Roads Ahead: Conditions have made pothole season as bad as it’s ever been.”

After groans from the crowd, the president turned to Uehling. “I think I touched on a sore spot here, Mr. Mayor,” he smiled.

It would probably be a good idea if the speech wasn’t full of them, either. That wasn’t the only ditch that Obama ran into at the rally, either:

“We’re going to have to make some tough choices” about the deficit and national debt, President Obama said to a crowded gymnasium full of supporters at Indian Hills Community College, after a lengthy riff on how the unsustainable debt would need to be tackled.

This, unlike most of what the president said during the town hall meeting, was met with silence.

“I noticed I didn’t get a lot of clapping about the whole ‘We’re gonna have the hard choices’ thing,” the president ribbed the crowd.

Yes, well, when you tell people for three years that your programs won’t require the “hard choices thing,” that’s the kind of reaction you get when you suddenly demand it of them.

Comments

“D’OH – did I do that?”

- Precedent Niave Beginner

rockbend on April 29, 2010 at 8:10 AM

GASP!
dear leader didn’t get an applause?…oooh the horror!

cmsinaz on April 29, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Obama was not there to help the mayor, he was there to campaign for himself. It’s all about the O.

texasconserv on April 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

In addition to travelling with his teleprompter, Obama may consider one of those “Applause” signs that lights up when the TV comedy shows want applause.

Wethal on April 29, 2010 at 8:13 AM

texasconserv on April 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

right on

cmsinaz on April 29, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Subtext: You think I’m a socialist, huh? In the USSR Stalin’s goons would make the crowd clap. Until their hands bled. Let me be clear, you should thank me.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2010 at 8:15 AM

President Pothole, if you ask me.

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

A reasonable person with a little common sense would get the hint that something is wrong, But not barry the magnificent….What a tool.

SHARPTOOTH on April 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM

Obama’s problem is that he’s surrounded by @ss-kissing true believers like Michelle, Valerie and Axelrod, who feed him the “destiny” “One we’ve been waiting for ” shtick. Rahm is a pragmatic politician, but he’s been somewhat marginalized since the leaks about how Obama was not always taking Rahm’s advice.

Wethal on April 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

And yet these idiot mayors stand up there, looking like complete jackasses, so that they can get their picture with teh Precedent while hoping to suck up just a wee bit more federal dollars to cover their bad decisions and sh*tty governance. Here’s hoping the jug-eared smegma’s coat tails drag them all to hell.

SKYFOX on April 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM

‘Kidding On The Square’ as (gag) Senator Franken calls it.

TimBuk3 on April 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

I am sticking with the narcissit personality disoder thingy myself. He truly believes everything he says in public deserves applause.

Johnnyreb on April 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

“Let ME be clear, I wasn’t talking about hard choices for you, it is the other guy who’s going to have to make hard choices”

— Dear Liar.

rbj on April 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Ich bin ein beginner!

Kafir on April 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

after a lengthy riff on how the unsustainable debt would need to be tackled.

They know doggone well what he means by “tackle”. It’s tax hikes. They also know who created a big chunk of the “unsustainable debt”.

forest on April 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I guess the crowd should be grateful the riot police were not called.

SHARPTOOTH on April 29, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Every month I have been making hard choices. The people in DC don’t seem to be making any choices at all.

myrenovations on April 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Let me translate the “tough choices” schtick:

“I have millions in the bank so I like high taxes. So PAY UP SUCKERS!”

DavidM on April 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Wethal on April 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Correction: Obama surrounds himself with…

It’s intentional.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Did aides get the names of those who did not clap?

BitterClinger on April 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Did aides get the names of those who did not clap?

BitterClinger on April 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

Probably not. It’s easier to just punish the whole town and let the locals sort out who caused them to get on the Regime’s bad side. It’s a traditional technique of Dear Leader types.

forest on April 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Fine. If Obama just stuck to this and maintaining the military and federal courts, I might even consider voting for him. But Obamacare goes far beyond clean drinking water and potholes.

President Pothole, if you ask me.

TXUS on April 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM

I’ll go one big step farther: President Blackhole, if you ask me.

BuckeyeSam on April 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Ich bin ein beginner!

Kafir on April 29, 2010

lol…consider that stolen.

SKYFOX on April 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Obama: The pothole to nowhere.

Mojave Mark on April 29, 2010 at 8:38 AM

texasconserv on April 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Absolutely correct. He is never on anyone else’s team.

jwolf on April 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

It’s all about the O.

texasconserv on April 29, 2010 at 8:12 AM

the bad type

blatantblue on April 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

… it helps to check if the President’s speech might contain a few speed bumps for the local candidate … or perhaps some potholes.

Only if he really, really, really, really cares.

Smart audience! They know who is going to do the choosing part and who is going to do the hard part!

ExpressoBold on April 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

The fact that people can even applaud the Destroyer at this point is disheartening.

NOVEMBER!!!!

PappyD61 on April 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Ich bin ein beginner!

Kafir on April 29, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Well, that might be how you say it in Austrian. In German, it would be “Ich bin ein Anfanger.”

jwolf on April 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

“TOUGH CHOICES”………..

A/K/A

Continued overspending by Congress

Exploding Budgets and then Deficits continue under BHO.

Death Panels for Granny and Pappy (a sore spot with me for sure) because their medical treatment at “end of life” is just too dang expensive.

“Complete Lives System” implementation (by Ezekiel Emmanuel)

Implementation of Global VAT to fund the structure for the New World Order.

America in permanent decline as long as he is in the White House.

Permanent High Unemployment

Wasted effort chasing GE and Goldman Sachs “GREEN ENERGY” and Climate Credits.

Did I miss any?

PappyD61 on April 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM

NOVEMBER!!!!

PappyD61 on April 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Every event the puppet attends is stacked and controlled by the puppet masters. Soon, there will be a civil protest outside every event the puppet attends, because only paid union thugs and true worshipers are allowed inside these events. Don’t be fooled by any of this; America is pissed off and November will be a disaster for the Progressive’s.

Keemo on April 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I am so sick of this Dumb ass.

5u93rm4n on April 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

As most of the world knows by now, President King Zero the Only is clueless sans TOTUS. It now begins to strike me that even TOTUS (and the myrmidon who feed it) is also clueless.

Since Zero only knows how to campaign, he’s starting the 2012 campaign just slightly earlier than previously. Afterall, Bill’s jab yesterday is setting the stage for another run by HERSELF! and Zero knows it.

SeniorD on April 29, 2010 at 8:52 AM

I am so sick of this Dumb ass.

5u93rm4n on April 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Ditto’s… I’m also so sick of the Progressive media. They all wear the uniform of the enemy of freedom.

Keemo on April 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM

They must have all fainted.

PatMac on April 29, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Hey Ed, how about a piece on Obama introducting Alexi G. yesterday. Has there ever been a campaign spot/intro where two guys stand 20 yards from each other? There was no way Obama was getting a picture taken with his arms around this crook.

PatMac on April 29, 2010 at 9:05 AM

President “Dope and Blame”.

csdeven on April 29, 2010 at 9:09 AM

First rule: Know your audience.

Fail.

Remember. November.

publiuspen on April 29, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Did Biden send Barack out to make his speech?

EliTheBean on April 29, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Obama is a pothole.

uknowmorethanme on April 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

No individual would go to the great lengths and expense of erasing their dubious background only to get in our faces every day, reminding us that he’s a fraudulent hoax.

It’s clear that this sick personality that is currently playing precedent is a trojan horse for a traitorous movement, and more eyes are being opened all the time. It’s difficult to imagine that this charade can continue as is until 2012. Something has to give, and it won’t be the taxpayers. Not for very much longer.

ontherocks on April 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I have always wondered about Iowa. I just never seemed to be the blue place that it mostly ends up like on election night. Are the good people of Iowa beginning to get it? Obama, the candidate and Obama, the ruler are like Jeckyl and Hyde. It makes me smile to see people waking up.

BetseyRoss on April 29, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Yeah well because the most important thing of every day is whether THE ONE gets a lot of clapping!

The first president who gets the title from me: A******.

Johnnyreb on April 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Zactly.

inviolet on April 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM

We need Obama to speak for as many Democrat candidates as possible before November!

gwelf on April 29, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Oh yeah, they must’ve forgot that they should’ve been thanking you.

ted c on April 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM

What an arrogant ass.

crazy_legs on April 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Providing clean water and filling potholes is not the federal govmint’s job. That would be city and county govmint. Dear leader is clueless. That’s why he didn’t get the clap he was looking for.

Kissmygrits on April 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Pothole,A**hole, whatever! Remember in November 2010 and Remember in November 2012!

Marco on April 29, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Kissmygrits on April 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I believe the silence was due to this moronic comment…God help us.

sicoit on April 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

There are potholes and a whole lot of voters who’ll put this arshole into a hole in Nov.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Obama: The president of BAD CHOICES and “NO YOU CAN’T!!” government.

landlines on April 29, 2010 at 12:53 PM

That’s what LOCAL and STATE governments do, with varying success based on who gets elected. The FEDERAL Government is supposed to “provide for the common defense”. Has the Great Hahvid Constitutional Law Professor ever read the Tenth Amendment?

You still haven’t stopped the seas from rising or paid that lady’s mortgage in Fort Myers!

Obama now listens to the sound of one left hand clapping.

Steve Z on April 29, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Pretty soon, Odumbass is going to have to supply his own laugh/applause tracks for all his lame speeches.

ZeeMI on April 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM

ZeeMI on April 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Don’t give him any ideas.

Slowburn on April 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM