Obama: “I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money”

posted at 8:48 am on April 29, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Via News Alert and Breitbart TV, consider this Share the Wealth 2010. Barack Obama went off the TelePrompter in his speech to a Quincy, Illinois audience about Wall Street reform. After saying that Democrats don’t begrudge success that’s “fairly earned,” Obama then ad-libs — and reveals more about himself than he probably wanted:

We’re not, we’re not trying to push financial reform because we begrudge success that’s fairly earned. I mean, I do think at a certain point you’ve made enough money. But, you know, part of the American way is, you know, you can just keep on making it if you’re providing a good product or providing good service. We don’t want people to stop, ah, fulfilling the core responsibilities of the financial system to help grow our economy.

Compare that to his remarks as prepared for delivery:

Now, we’re not doing this to punish these firms or begrudge success that’s fairly earned. We don’t want to stop them from fulfilling their responsibility to help grow our economy.

He should have stuck with the TelePrompter. The President doesn’t get to decide when people have “made enough money.” In fact, as the radio host notes, that’s a statist point of view. Furthermore, the responsibility of an entrepreneur isn’t to “grow our economy,” core or otherwise. It’s to grow his own economy. In a properly regulated capitalist system, the natural tension of self-interests create economic growth through innovation and efficient use of capital and resources.

Put simply, a free people work for themselves, not for the government. Barack Obama seems to have a problem understanding that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11 12

Umm, you can’t be serous about that, can you?

Absolutely. It’s going to come down to a contest of wills, but both sides are long on loud talk and short on real action. The left is only getting as far as they are because they’re still (mostly) working within the legal system.

If the left has to face REAL opposition – the stiff-spined “I’m-not-gonna-move-and-you-can’t-make-me” kind, I wouldn’t bet a plugged nickel on them. The lot of them are Internet versions of Walter Mitty with more TV and radio exposure.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I subscribe to National Review, am a former marine, own 4 shotguns, and am currently reading: “An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood” by Neal Gabler.

I guess I just suck.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Well I subscribe to a bunch of agricultural magazines & newspapers, am currently reading 2 books (w/ at least 700 pgs each!) one on Stalin & Hitler’s rise to power & the other called the Whisperer’s about private life of people in Stalin’s Russia.
I guess I should be reading ‘classics’ instead.
Oh-& in my free time, I ride my horse & take care of cows w/ my husband.
I’m just a hill billy bcs this summer I will be doing less reading & will instead be helping my husband make hay & stuff.
This will make me way less smart.
Oh to give me a stinking greenhorn like Dark-Arts to play with on the ranch.
I’d show that twit what real life is all about.

Badger40 on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Oh to give me a stinking greenhorn like Dark-Arts to play with on the ranch.
I’d show that twit what real life is all about.

Badger40 on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Translation: You’d beat up the “evil Commie” who DARES disagree with you, if he were ever to come within arms reach of your fleabitten hide and dung-smeared fingers.

I thought as much. Both the left and the right have nothing but brute force at their core; the left just relies on ‘legal’ methods while the right takes a more direct approach.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Umm, you can’t be serous about that, can you?

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Okay, My bad – I usually try not to talk to the certifiably insane.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Okay, My bad – I usually try not to talk to the certifiably insane.

Defective Chip on April 30, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I do suppose stating the fact that the left is mostly a bunch of cowardly loudmouths who hide behind fancy laws qualifies as ‘insane’ to a true wingnut.

Here’s what it boils down to:

The right will be unlikely to win a contest of wills if the full force of the law comes down on them.

The left will be unlikely to win if the right goes outside the legal system.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Oh, and Dip-Sh*t, that’s two Remingtons (one strictly for home protection), a Browning trap, and a Browing Citori O/U.

Plus a boatload of shells.

You and your Marxists librarian friends should come over and I’ll introduce you to a new “recommended minimum”.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

No, it’s so much more tasteful to hypothesize your class envy through wet dreams about confiscating our incomes. God, you are dense.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I guess I should be reading ‘classics’ instead.
Oh-& in my free time, I ride my horse & take care of cows w/ my husband.
This will make me way less smart.
Oh to give me a stinking greenhorn like Dark-Arts to play with on the ranch.
I’d show that twit what real life is all about.

Badger40 on April 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

700 pages. Ha! Loser. Dip-Sh*t the Marxist Librarian will never certify your credentials.

And, horses and cows and husbands……My God, Dip-Sh*t is surrounded by serfs!

It is the vastly superior mind that fleshes out ways to steal money through envy-driven confiscation!

Just let him look into the details.

They’re hidden somewhere in Dos Passos or Dosty.

He knows. He can read a book per month!

nico on April 30, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Dude doesn’t know who has said what, that’s probably another sign of dementia.

I could recommend some shrinks in the Milwaukee area, but it’s doubtful he would go.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Oh, and Dip-Sh*t, that’s two Remington (one strictly for home protection), a Browning trap, and a Browning Citori O/U.
Plus a boatload of shells.
nico on April 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM

You may also want to get yourself a Sport Utility Rifle – start out with a lower receiver and build from there.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Please elaborate. I should trap/bunker and/or skeet with the three and the last is a Remington Magnum with a 28″ barrel to blow away home invaders. Always interested in the opinions of other gun owners.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Oh, and Chip, “I should” was a rather daft typo that should be rendered as “I shoot”.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Please elaborate. I shoot trap/bunker and/or skeet with the three and the last is a Remington Magnum with a 28″ barrel to blow away home invaders. Always interested in the opinions of other gun owners.
nico on April 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I like the Remington brand and have one of those around the abode, but my thinking is to have a longer range type rifle. Some like me like to call the AR-15 0r AR-10 Sport Utility Rifles to get away from the A…. rifle moniker – it also describes it better anyways.

In some ways, a SUR is like building a PC – you start out with the Lower Receiver, much like the Motherboard on a PC. This is the piece that has the serial number, and generally if you buy just a stripped LR from an FFL, you still have to go through the paper work as though its a real gun, even though it’s just a piece of forged and machined aluminum.

Then you get a Lower parts kit for the trigger safety and such and buy yourself an upper receiver – this is the barrel and bolt assembly.

A lot of these parts can be had at guns shows, you can become a lot more familiar with the firearm if you assemble it yourself and you save a little money – but only if you are disciplined to only go for just what you really need.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Some brush you’ve got there.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I wish I could have joined this thread today but I was working. I was following it at work and it was definitely entertaining again with Dark-Stain. I say Dark-Stain as that is what dried blood looks like and all of his plans lead to a lot of killing. I pointed out the Weather Underground to him/her yesterday and him/her had to google them. I say him/her should go read about them again as a recent try at his / her ideas. They were very willing to kill 15 million or so to reach their collective thinking utopia. It is amazing at what dangerous ideas can keep returning after their utter failures again and again. I would say one thing to Dark-Star, you implied badger40 should read more, next time you utter those words I hope you are looking in the mirror. You know those works of history she mentioned, try them out and everyway you flesh your idea out is in them. None have a good ending.

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Very cool. It’s tough to shoot accurate trap without divesting oneself of rifle skills however. Two totally different dynamics. I carried an M16 in the Marine Corps and my first try at trap was hilarious. I couldn’t hit anything. 0 for 25 until an old-timer came over and kicked me in the drawers and showed me the difference. Now I shoot trap in the low 20′s (when warm) and don’t know if I could hit a target at 300 yards with a rifle (let alone 500).

Coincidentally, though, I have thought about getting one to round out the arsenal and appreciate your advice.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Some brush you’ve got there.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 30, 2010 at 5:15 PM

You violent wingnuts do all the painting by yourself.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 3:18 PM

But like I said…chained lions. Just don’t visit their Podunk Junctions or backwoods cabins on one’s lonesome and the danger is nil. And that’s a part of America I don’t miss seeing; there are plenty of small towns where the residents aren’t cavemen with guns.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Yet another misfire. I live in L.A. Come on over.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Yo, Dip-Sh*t…..

Look up Triple B’s in Rosemead, CA. It where us Los Angeles cavemen meet to shoot sporting clays.

I’m on a team with several Los Angeles law enforcement professionals. They’d get a kick out of your take on gun owners were it worth the breath to relay it to them.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Yet another misfire. I live in L.A. Come on over.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM

L.A.? My sympathies.

And I’m still not getting anywhere near you, wingnut. I can only imagine what kind of level-headed ‘discussion’ you’d like to have with me. (LOL)

Guess you’ll just have to cling to your guns and your fantasies.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:40 PM

That’s a real shame. Because I just love level-headed conversation with someone who thinks voting for how much money I can earn is a good idea if only he had time to flesh out the details.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Translation: I’d love to beat the tar out of someone I’ve never seen, for daring to speak of a theory I don’t like, which we both know has ZERO chance of ever coming to pass.

You’re as violent as the left-wing protest loons, you just aren’t public about it, except on the Internet where you can vent lots of hot air. (Pun not intended.)

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I think nico and a few others here were born too late. They would have loved living in the Wild West where they could win debates with firearms and fists.

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Actually, no. Like I’ve stated here many times, in this rather long thread even, you are a stream of binary digits to me. This is entertainment. You apparently take your self FAR more importantly than I do.

I think that if you truly believe what you do, you are a particulary stupid stream of binary digits. But, do I wish to beat the tar out of you? Not really. I don’t even wish to look at you. You’re an ignorant jackass.

You’re just worth making fun of online.

Because you’re Dip-Sh*t the Marxist Librarian.

Oh, and I like L.A. I live in a particularly nice area. Lots of sunshine. Palm trees. Sea breezes. Of course, I regret the whole financial meltdown thing, but I didn’t vote for any of it.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

And, could it be? Yes, it’s ANOTHER misfire.

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:53 PM

nico on April 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM

You’re welcome.

Chip on April 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

From my perspective they have won with words and you have been schooled!

bluemarlin on April 30, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Dark-Star on April 30, 2010 at 5:47 PM

…says the guy who wants to force Marxism on the masses with government guns.

Eat s**t, you collectivist stooge.

MadisonConservative on April 30, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Wow, quitter Dark star has perpetuated this thread out to 11 pages of psychobable. What dollar amount would I need to transfer to your bank account to make you stfu and be happy?

Inanemergencydial on April 30, 2010 at 9:03 PM