Game over: UN elects Iran to its commission on … women’s rights

posted at 5:52 pm on April 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

I think Neda would have wanted it this way, don’t you?

Without fanfare, the United Nations this week elected Iran to its Commission on the Status of Women, handing a four-year seat on the influential human rights body to a theocratic state in which stoning is enshrined in law and lashings are required for women judged “immodest.”

Just days after Iran abandoned a high-profile bid for a seat on the U.N. Human Rights Council, it began a covert campaign to claim a seat on the Commission on the Status of Women, which is “dedicated exclusively to gender equality and advancement of women,” according to its website.

This is the same group whose Human Rights Council includes luminaries like China and Saudi Arabia. See now why Ahmadinejad always includes a passage in his annual speech about expanding the number of permanent members in the Security Council or giving more power to the General Assembly? In the interest of “equality,” there’s no laugh test for exerting influence at the UN. The task for its more cretinous members is simply to extend that principle to the real levers of power. Because Iran’s all about equality, you see.

Go have a look at what the newest defender of international women’s rights is up to these days.

Update: Jennifer Rubin has a question.

The U.S. couldn’t muster a word of opposition — not even call for a vote. That would be because . . . why? Because our policy is not to confront and challenge the brutal regime for which rape and discrimination are institutionalized policies. No, rather, we are in the business of trying to ingratiate ourselves, and making the U.S. as inoffensive as possible to the world’s thugocracies.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m suffering from smacked gobs. I mean … seriously?

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM

This (and not Arizona) is what people ahould be protesting about…

DaveCal on April 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM

What?!?!?!

Skywise on April 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM

This is the same country that has informed women that suntans are against the law.

ProfessorMiao on April 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I noticed AT&T was offering “The Stoning of Soray M” on its Pay Per View setup(UVerse). Made me wonder if 1) there is a market for it they are seeking(Conservatives and exile Iranians?) or 2) a Conservative is running the outfit? Of course Michael Moore’s capitalism doc was an option too.

jp on April 29, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Well considering that they dont consider Women to be Human I guess they think its alright.

William Amos on April 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

omg, this is sick, absolutely disgusting that they would even be granted a seat on this committee. Iran knows nothing about women’s rights, let alone human rights.

GrannySunni on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

As if we didn’t know the UN was absolutely the biggest joke in the world, now they do this.

Could someone please shut down that big money-suckin’ building in New York and tell these idiots to go the hell home? And don’t let the door hit ‘em in the behind as they go either…

Mad Mad Monica on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Super.

This may harm the image of the United Nations in the eyes of posters here.

Perhaps they’ll reconsider?

I like the “idea” of the UN as a forum where nations can yell at one another. As Churchill said, it’s better to jaw-jaw than war-war.

But other than that, it’s mostly a joke.

SteveMG on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Let’s plan a push for the GOP majority in congress next January to de-fund our UN dues.

Vashta.Nerada on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Iran, fighting for a womans right to be beaten daily

sonofdy on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

They mock us.

ronsfi on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

That site the UN headquarters occupies would be a nice place for a parking garage… or anything else, for that matter.

Maybe it could be converted into a massive free clinic for the “underserved” of NYC?

The United States should withhold all funds until this travesty is undone, but we will only hear crickets from the WH.

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Sick.

JammieWearingFool on April 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

How long before Greece chairs the UN’s Economic and Finance committee?

DarkKnight3565 on April 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Sickening

vcferlita on April 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Akin to Obama being POTUS?

Inanemergencydial on April 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

A month at most DarkKnight.

andy85719 on April 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM

This act is a crime against women.

portlandon on April 29, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Absolutely outrageous. It is like a Kafka novel. Bizarre.

Terrye on April 29, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Why did they deny the Taliban this spot.

the_nile on April 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Pull out of the UN. Now.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Does the regime itself known for performing Clitorectimies?

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

WTF?

Stick in the file for future campaign ads aimed at women?

BuckeyeSam on April 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Well, I suppose when you’re permanently locked in the 8th century, and believe that women’s breasts cause earthquakes, nothing is too idiotic. But could we please cut the crap about the “scientific and mathematical advancements” for which the muzzi’s are responsible? Next we’ll be told by Muslims that beheadings are the latest advancement in treating dandruff.

oldleprechaun on April 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Obama nation

US defense of global religious freedom wanes under Obama, panel says

William Amos on April 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

UN out of the US.

Inanemergencydial on April 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

“Leave Iran Alone, What if they Criticized how we treat women, how would you feel!!!”

/Paultard

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

how about Darfur in charge of world wide food production?

SDarchitect on April 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Good Lord.

Just one more reason the US should kick the UN out and stop all funding to that joke of an organization.

What next? Mugabe on the UN economic committee?

These same assholes have also killed millions in Africa through the reluctance to use DDT for mosquito control to reduce malaria.

BacaDog on April 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Update: Jennifer Rubin has a question.

Time for an Arctic facebook intervention.

the_nile on April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

And the US pays 25% of the U.N.’s budget for what reason???

phreshone on April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

NOW was unavailable for comment.

BacaDog on April 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

It’s the UN, so it just doesn’t shock me anymore. They could stone a woman at the next meeting of the Commission and it wouldn’t shock me.

myrenovations on April 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

They only treat women like chattel because we overthrew the Shah.

Because of the Fed? Trilateral Commission? Lincoln?

SteveMG on April 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Any noise from the feminazis?

OldEnglish on April 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM

You know, it’s times like this that I actually DO miss George Bush.

I’m sure NOW will be registering their outrage with the administration any moment…

Tres Angelas on April 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM

But other than that, it’s mostly a joke.

SteveMG on April 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Except this joke has killed millions in Africa through the condemnation of using DDT to eliminate malaria.

BacaDog on April 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Yeah, but that has a history of turning out well though.

AUINSC on April 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM

And the US pays 25% of the U.N.’s budget for what reason???

phreshone on April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Because they did such a good job of ignoring their own sanctions against Saddam Hussein? And were in bed with him in the Oil-For-Food scam?

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Don’t worry, the man who the Iranians send as their representative will only be looking out for the Islamic rights of women…to be beaten, stoned, hanged, and imprisoned for their obvious crimes of showing too much ankle, tempting men who rape them, or getting a tan.

simkeith on April 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM

William Amos on April 29, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Good info. More of the same from Obama.

Jeff on April 29, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Any noise from the feminazis?

OldEnglish on April 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Not yet, but I’m pretty sure if they do say anything, they’ll it on blame Bush.

AUINSC on April 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM

And the US pays 25% of the U.N.’s budget for what reason???

phreshone on April 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Blinding stupidity would be my guess.

It has become a tool for the third-world dictators and the repressive regimes of the world to unburden us of our wealth while mocking and slandering us.

hillbillyjim on April 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM

They only treat women like chattel because we overthrew the Shah.

Because of the Fed? Trilateral Commission? Lincoln?

SteveMG on April 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

yes, this is merely blowback for the acts of the US Government against Iran!

The Mullahs are actually fun loving Free Traders at heart, its just that the USA is evil and our foreign policy makes them do bad things, such as slaughtering women.

If we simply shut up and ignore this, renounce and foreign policy of the past and apologize and pursue no sanctions whatsover…the IRanians will become Great Trade Partners, the great freedom loving capitalist that they are!

/insanity of our times.

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I guess this must be the earthquake predicted by that Iranian cleric.

KillerKane on April 29, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I would say that Iran is about midway between those two.

MB4 on April 29, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I’d like to hear from all those ‘professors’
of ‘women’s studies’
about this issue …. how will they celebrate this great honor to Iran ? Maybe they’ll lecture us illitrate masses about how women in Iran have a right to choose : a right to choose if they want be shot or flogged for speaking out about their own rape

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Thank goodness we don’t have John Bolton over there anymore. No, we have Hillary. She was obviously all over this.

Do I need this?

WitchDoctor on April 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Next they will have Jack the Ripper as head of the Commission on the Welfare of Prostitutes.

andy85719 on April 29, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Surely Obama would have opposed this if Bush hadn’t…er, ah…if those Jews had just…eh, umm…give me a minute.

SKYFOX on April 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Pull out of the UN. Now.

MadisonConservative on April 29, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I have a better idea: Impeach Obama. Now.

year_of_the_dingo on April 29, 2010 at 6:19 PM

About the only right that women in Saudi Arabia have is the right to not be beaten severely on their backsides the night before their husbands, who are often about 50 years older than them, rape them.

MB4 on April 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Nice piece AP.. I’m glad you’re giving these creatures the exposure they so richly deserve.

I wonder what Michelle my bell thinks about this. If there really is such a thing as woman’s rights groups, they had better be speaking up about this debacle loudly and often.

The United Nations is truly appalling.

Keemo on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Isn’t it against human rights to tell a woman her boobs cause earthquakes and volcanoes? Can this group get any sillier? No. It was a retorical question libtards. When can we get our building back?

TimothyJ on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

This is the same as a rapist saying, “She enticed me!”

Quick–where are the libs to defend this. You there, Six?

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Iran must be paying off UN Buearcrats like Saddam was for cover, which means if the US, especially if led by a Repub, ever does anything to take them down the International Left will politicize this to no ends

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

AnninCA–come defend this, you liberal!

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Obama released a press release blaming Bush for the deaths in Iran. “Let me be clear, the former administration promoted boobquakes and skin tanning. They are the reason the Iranians have to resort to unusual policies on dress. Just the other day a Boobquake leveled my home state of Hawaii. The past administration forgot to turn off the earthquake switch. I will solve this problem by regulating the use of the earthquake switch….”

andy85719 on April 29, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Best description I’ve heard today on this:

What can we expect from that useless UN, which is basically a bunch of savages from savage countries pretending they are important today when it’s their turn?

nor on April 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Iran will be able to give the UN valuable counsel in the proper method of beating women. They wouldn’t want the UN to give out bad advice on this important issue. /s

Isn’t IamaDingBat coming to the UN soon? This ought to give him something to crow about in his speech. It should really help in showing the Iranians the UN is serious about imposing harsh sanctions some century.

GnuBreed on April 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM

“Iran has the Right to Choose, whether or not they want to beat the crap out of less than human, women”

/lame liberal attempt to defend this

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM

The lack of opposition, even token opposition, from the American representatives on the UN is the greater evil.

Then again, the NAGs have operated under the principle of “The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend” for the last 18 years.

steveegg on April 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

on a serious note, this is why the GOP foreign Policy establishment favors a “League of Democracies” and is more in favor of NATO than the UN

jp on April 29, 2010 at 6:24 PM

When can we get our building back?

TimothyJ on April 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

What better use of this UN building than to use it to house all those illegals from AZ ….problem solved and even Mayor Doomberg is happy ;-)

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

This is what is called a Dr. Strangelove moment.

RobCon on April 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Imagine there’s no Islam
It’s hard but you can try
No suicide hijackers coming down at us
Above us only sky
Imagine all those people
Still alive today…

Imagine there’s no Islamic countries
It’s hard but you can try
No Mohammad for them to kill or die for
And no Imams too
Imagine all the Christians, Jews and Infidels
Living life without them…

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday all dhimmis will join us
And the non-Islamic world will be as one

Imagine no stonnings and no honor killings
I wonder if you can
No need for Medina or Meca
A brotherhood of non-Islamic woman and man
Imagine all the people
Living without Shariha…

You may say I’m a dreamer
But I’m not the only one
I hope someday all dhimmis will join us
And the non-Islamic world will be as one

MB4 on April 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Right now, I don’t know who I am more disgusted with, over this issue. Obama, or the UN, or Iran? Right now, I think it’s a 3 way tie.

What a total slap in the face to ALL women!!!!

capejasmine on April 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

The UN is a joke. Yet the political class demands we play games with these people.

Why stop there? Why not just appoint Griselda Blanco to be the UN’s Drug Czar while you are at it?

Chrisin206 on April 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

“For the first time in my adult life, I am proud of my country…” – Michelle Obowma

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on April 29, 2010 at 6:26 PM

So let me guess… now, with Iran in charge of this women’s rights commission, when the UN peacekeepers go on one of their raping rampages the situation will be dealt with swiftly and mercilessly…

…yes that’s right, the unclean/disgusting women shall be taken out and stoned for their trangressions.

(do I really need to add a sarc tag?)

red winger on April 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM

OK y’all
now where is aleph ?

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Give me an effing break.

Colorado Anne on April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Uh oh. Michelle Obama better watch out. With Iran in charge, she won’t be able to show those fugly man arms anymore.

andy85719 on April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

As Robert McCormick used to say: Get the U.S. out of the U.N. and the U.N. out of the U.S.

Special Forces Grunt on April 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM

We have more ammo now.

Any time a troll pops up on a Palin thread, we do what they do: deflect.

Ask any troll about their (pitiful) ‘feelings’ on this matter. Turn it all around on them.

Where, oh where, after the lib’rals gone?
Where, oh where can you be?

AnninCA
Grow Fins
crr6
Dave Rywall
ernesto
Proud rino

Where are all of you, ANY of you?

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I am sure that any minute NOW will take a stand on this based on Iran’s refusal to legalize abortion.

Yeah right.

Lily on April 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

These people and organizations are putting every comedian out of business.

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

That is just one reason I would never ever ever ever consider myself associated with the Democrat party. Their love affair with the United Nations. I figured that one out years ago.

What a bunch of idiots.

shar61 on April 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I think the U.N. is another group of aliens we could do without.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Oh, that’s sooooo perfect!

And given half a chance, Obama will put the UN in charge of the USA.

petefrt on April 29, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Notice the absence of trolls here.

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Hillary should resign in disgust and distance herself from Obama to set up a 2012 run for POTUS.

meci on April 29, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Even if we have to hijack a thread, let’s call the trolls on this one. Let’s slam them on this, all those ‘loving, all-caring’ liberals! Let’s see the feminists come out in favor of this!

Use this at every turn against them!

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The U.S. couldn’t muster a word of opposition — not even call for a vote.

And with that, our legendarily incompetent ambassador Susan “Gee, I think maybe we should just let Osama go” Rice screws the pooch again. Brilliant.

leilani on April 29, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Of course the Useless Nitwits, those free-loading, neer-do-wells with the boiling hatred of all things Judeo-Christian, would put Iran on a ‘council’ proclaiming Gender Equality. After all, Iranian women are equally free to endure genital mutilation, rapes and then give birth to male children.

SeniorD on April 29, 2010 at 6:45 PM

OK y’all
now where is aleph ?

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Allah makes me master of the world, this I know
For the Koran tells me so
Women and girls we can abuse hard and long
They are weak but we are strong

Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
The Koran tells me so.

And what some gays don’t now realize
Is that when we take over it will be their demise
Say the salat, chop off gay head,
Eat falafel, go to bed.

Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
Yes, Allah makes me master of my world!
The Koran tells me so.

Aleph on April 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I know what will make this shine :

Rashid Khalidi inviting A’Jad to Columbia Univ to give a lecture to the women faculty and students about the
non-existence of violence against women in Iran .

Maybe this time Hussain’s Codepink bundlers will come out to openly honor A’Jad with some award or something

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM

LOL, wow.

Midas on April 29, 2010 at 6:47 PM

macncheez on April 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Speaking voluntarily on behalf of all the innocent people who live across 1st ave in Tudor City, I think not. ;-)

leilani on April 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

محمد اغتصاب الفتيات الصغيرات. وكان والده بقرة. كانت والدته خنزير.

Aleph on April 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Okay, ladies, you know what to do. Boobquake ‘em off the face of the Earth.

And while we wait for the boobquake to reach critical mass, can’t we use eminent domain to kick the UN out of it’s building and, consequently, out of the country?

I really hope when the Republicans take back control of Congress they have the balls to defund paying dues to the UN. It was a nice idea but had no basis in reality.

Rip Ford on April 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

محمد اغتصاب الفتيات الصغيرات. وكان والده بقرة. كانت والدته خنزير.

Aleph on April 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Aleph: This is a ENGLISH ONLY site,please cease and desist
with you chicken scratch!!

canopfor on April 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

The United Nations is a complete and utter disgrace. The only way it could get worse is if they named Hitler as Secretary General.

Holger on April 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

How many her are tired of the trolls? Can we get an affirmation, either yea or nay?

Liam on April 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

@Aleph on April 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM:

Easy for you to say! ;-)

canopfor, I don’t think we want him to say in english what he just said. Lessee, there was something about cows & pigs & a certain religious figure…let’s just say it wouldn’t get past the censors at Comedy Central. ;-)

leilani on April 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM