Video: The obligatory “Tim James ‘we speak English’” ad

posted at 10:11 pm on April 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Lefties have been kicking this around for a week purely for the kitsch factor, but Dave Weigel of WaPo’s “Those Darned Wingnuts” beat warns them that they’re creating a monster:

It’s a pattern I’ve gotten very, very used to. A conservative Republican issues a new ad, or some clip from the campaign trail goes viral. Democrats and liberals make fun of it. Meanwhile, the video becomes incredibly popular and the candidate laughs all the way to the polls.

How “incredibly popular” has it become? Check out the view totals for yourself. Not bad for a GOP gubernatorial candidate from Alabama. The “English only” standard would be reason enough for liberals to sneer at it, but it’s the poorly acted Shatneresque three-second pause at the end before the kicker that’s made it viral gold. It’s no quirk, either: Check out the second clip and you’ll see that he’s honed it to a damn-near science. Exit question: Tim James 2012?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

chris999 on April 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Hey, shhhhhhhhh! Be quiet, Chris! Alabama doesn’t want that coming for a visit. It might stay.

pannw on April 28, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Alabama’s total fertility rate is near replacement, in contrast to the States of the northeast, where paradise comes at the price of having too few children, slowly dying out, and being replaced by Alabamans.

Kralizec on April 28, 2010 at 11:52 PM

And they did it all on their own without any help from the government…

Imagine that…

What? I’m pretty sure many of them went to public school.

YYZ on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

His staged pause at the end is fake, fake, fake. I don’t trust him.

watson007 on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Roll Tide Roll!

James has an uphill battle in state because Bradley Byrne is getting more money and has many State associations backing him. James will have to rely on more grassroots support to win the primary.

Dittohead on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

His staged pause at the end is fake, fake, fake. I don’t trust him.

watson007 on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Uh, yeah. I’m sorry…do you think any political commercials aren’t acting?

AUINSC on April 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

What? I’m pretty sure many of them went to public school.

YYZ on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

What???

BigWyo on April 29, 2010 at 12:02 AM

What? I’m pretty sure many of them went to public school.

YYZ on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

What, the first generation parents of the children went to public schools?

AUINSC on April 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Roll Tide Roll!
Tim James has his hands full in the primary with Bradley Byrne. Byrne has the backing of major associations in the state. James will have to rely on grassroots money and support to win the Republican primary. Guess we will see if James can finish strong.

Dittohead on April 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

watson007

He’s not trying to win an Oscar, just making a commercial to get his point across. The average person filming an ad would probably be fairly wooden in their delivery.

beachgirlusa on April 29, 2010 at 12:04 AM

He seems to have some cajones, something sorely lacking in too many men (politicians or not) these days.

beachgirlusa on April 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

beachgirlusa on April 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

All too true, you can find them on our conservative women though!

bluemarlin on April 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM

beachgirlusa on April 29, 2010 at 12:08 AM

All too true, you can find them on our conservative women though!

bluemarlin on April 29, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Please, no, not that balls-thing again…

;]

Lourdes on April 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Shhh Tim James is Fred Thompsons love child!!

sonnyspats1 on April 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Please, no, not that balls-thing again…

;]

Lourdes on April 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Sorry, how about I go with the theme of the week, they have all the machisimo!

bluemarlin on April 29, 2010 at 1:11 AM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I guess that’s why NASA has the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville. Because it’s so full of sh-tbirds and retards.

Liberals create more and more Republicans every day. Keep up the good work!

Django on April 29, 2010 at 3:41 AM

I’ve read only a handful of the Leftist/insulting remarks here and I am truly amazed at the utter senility of Leftists.

After all, it wasn’t but a few short months ago that there were hope’n’change hollywood-style ads tugging at the heartstrings of Americans in the Autumn of 2008.

Back then, some considered it “art,” “passionate,” and “inspiring.”

Oh yeah, like the brainless who bought into that tripe really have the qualifications to judge this sort of advertising.

Very effective. I like it!
Don’t you?

Lockstein13 on April 29, 2010 at 4:18 AM

I’m Mark Jaquith. I pronounce the hard “G” in “English” because I grew up in a state that actually speaks the language. If you want to run for governor, learn it! That makes sense to me.

Does it, to you?

Mark Jaquith on April 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Ah, the famed tolerance of the average student liberal.

You know, crr6, you remind me of the student teachers in the staff lounge. They know it all; they’ve read it in theory. They’ve studied all the philosophies and methodology, and we’d all be more successful if we’d only listen to their newly-minted wisdom.

Bet dollars to donuts that real practicing lawyers think you’re as irritating as we think those student teachers are.

And you can spare me the vicious attack on how much money YOU’LL make as compared to how much I make…or how much schooling you receive compared to teachers. After all, you’re a liberal, right? You’re for the “little man”. I’m the ‘little man’ you proport to love, yes? So be nice, now, and don’t let your snobbery show, student lawyer.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 29, 2010 at 4:46 AM

I donated because of the “English” ad.

It worked.

madmonkphotog on April 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

My, aren’t you superior?

DrMagnolias on April 29, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Heh.

I turned on a Chicago radio station yesterday that I never listen to. They are not conservatives. And some talker was going on and on about how many languages the Alabama drivers license is printed in, and then he started on Illinois.

No one mentioned the simple that that every single word on every single traffic sign in all of Illinois is in English, but no matter — he still thought it was idiotic to offer the license test in Polish, Spanish and Korean.

Do you?

Jaibones on April 29, 2010 at 6:46 AM

It does to me.

Grafted on April 29, 2010 at 7:10 AM

I love this commercial, I think it is right on the money. Acting or real, it says what a lot of us feel – English, learn to speak it.

jackal40 on April 29, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I never understood why it makes sense to let people pass the drivers test without reading english and then go out on the streets where all the traffic signs are in english.

BrunoMitchell on April 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

there are some immigrant groups that try to learn English & even if the individuals are older & struggle themselves with the language, they really want their children to learn English & become Americans.

then there are other immigrant groups that just want to tear the fabric of our society apart. and take our money.

kelley in virginia on April 29, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Shhh Tim James is Fred Thompsons love child!!

sonnyspats1 on April 29, 2010 at 12:49 AM

My thought exactly!

(But I rather like the notion.)

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2010 at 7:50 AM

His staged pause at the end is fake, fake, fake. I don’t trust him.

watson007 on April 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Having a flare for the dramatic does not make him a fake.

Disturb the Universe on April 29, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I think whichever state YOU live in would qualify better for that honor.

Sporty1946 on April 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Hell, *3 second pause*……….he just got my vote!

DwnSouthJukin on April 29, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

I think whichever state YOU live in would qualify better for that honor.

Sporty1946 on April 29, 2010 at 8:23 AM

Let’s have a betting pool. I’ll start:

New Jersey.

56 choices left.

Shy Guy on April 29, 2010 at 8:29 AM

He needs to have those commercials translated into Spanish for the Spanish speaking channels.

Mojave Mark on April 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Elephant in Room is unleashed.

Hey Romney, Pawlenty, etc…are you on the side of illegals or on the side of American Citizens who are unemployed and whose cities are burdened by these people?

nondhimmie on April 29, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Wow another pretender using cheap politics to “rally the base”

conservador on April 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM

I like the ad, it makes sense.

What I enjoyed the most, however, is some of the commenters casting their hostility and arrogance towards the “Northeast” and towards cities. They may be surprised to learn that there is no conspiracy of northern city dwellers that are nefariously working towards their demise.

Heralder on April 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM

I haven’t decided who to support in the governor’s race, but I won’t vote against James just because he’s an Aubie. I’m an enlightened sort of guy.

Bugler on April 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Does it, to you?

Mark Jaquith on April 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM

Haaaaaaaaaaa! Oh man this is too easy!

conservador on April 29, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Fob James son…he rocks!

AUINSC on April 28, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I hope like hell you’re kidding. Tim James is an absolute moron, and his father was an embarrassment to the state of Alabama.

And this ad took “guts”? Have mercy, bro. There’s no safer place for such an ad, and it represents the worst kind of pandering.

lawya on April 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Mojave Mark on April 29, 2010 at 8:42 AM

:D

People that show an obsession with the adoption of the english language bear their authoritarian teeth. What language anyone speaks is none of your business. If they can’t perform in the job market as well as those with a better understanding of english, that’s their issue, is it not?

ernesto on April 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

BrunoMitchell on April 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM

They’re learning the shapes of signs rather than what they actally say.
If you really want to mess with non-English reading people, let’s change stop signs from red octagon to blue pentagon, yield signs from yellow triangles to purple circles, etc.
Now THAT would be funny!
(Waiting to be accused of “sign-age profiling”, 3-2-1….)

mrt721 on April 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM

RAAACISTTTS!!! AWESOME!

Iblis on April 29, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I’m moving to Alabama.

itsspideyman on April 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Pretty much what you’d expect from America’s sh*ttiest state.

crr6 on April 28, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The sh*ttiest states in the union is everything above the Mason and Dixon line. If it were not for damn yankees like you this country would be a lot better off!

Confederate on April 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Please, no, not that balls-thing again…

;]

Lourdes on April 29, 2010 at 12:43 AM

In honor of the boss emeritus, we used to call them “Malkins.” It’s a little less vulgar.

smellthecoffee on April 29, 2010 at 2:33 PM

ernesto on April 29, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Apparently you missed the part about driver’s license exams in 12 languages. As long as there are concessions made (“Press one for English”), it is not simply the individual’s issue–every one of those things costs money, and those costs are passed to the consumer in the form of higher prices in the case of businesses, and higher taxes when the concessions are by government.

DrMagnolias on April 29, 2010 at 8:41 PM