Video: SWAT team outside Obama event beats back geriatric tea-party hordes

posted at 8:20 pm on April 28, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Sharp Elbows. This isn’t a SWAT team, actually, just local cops in riot gear, but it is the first time I’ve ever seen police in armor do a jaunty little parade down the street when responding to an event. I assure you, when the NYPD rolls up in helmets and shields, they’re all business.

But then, maybe “teabaggers” as crazed as these needed a demonstration to show ‘em who’s boss.

The crowd carried signs with messages ranging from “Give Us Liberty Not Debt” to yellow flags saying “Don’t Tread On Me.”

Urged on by people with megaphones, the crowd shouted slogans, among them “Remember in November” and “You work for us.”…

There were a few tense moments when the crowd moved west down York toward Third Street after the president’s motorcade arrived. A Secret Service agent asked the crowd to move back across the street to the north side.

When the crowd didn’t move and began singing “God Bless, America” and the national anthem, Quincy Deputy Police Chief Ron Dreyer called for members of the Mobile Field Force to walk up the street.

The cops were there for only 15 minutes but that was long enough for comedy gold. If you think the video’s funny, wait until you see Gateway Pundit’s photos. Calling all cars: Be on the lookout for an insurrectionist with blue hair…

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I didn’t know that Barney Fife agreed to be cloned.
My best laugh of the month… Thank you.

elfman on April 28, 2010 at 10:50 PM

MB4 on April 28, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Awww! My virgin eyes!!

Rightwingguy on April 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Looks like someone got all wee wee’d up.

jnelchef on April 28, 2010 at 10:53 PM

You should really feel sorry for these cops they obviously had to dress up and hide their faces so their mommies wouldn’t recognize them!

Pinnochio the punk only things I feel for him would get me banned or a visit from the SS!

dhunter on April 28, 2010 at 10:54 PM

They’re awfully pretty….but can they fight?

aquaviva on April 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

aquaviva on April 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Hell NO they cant even march in step, prolly would trip over all that gear and fall on their backs like a turtle.

Halp Me Jon Kerry I’ve fallin down and cain’t git up with all this gear on!

dhunter on April 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Halp me I cain’t git up and here comes granny with that damn cane Halp me Pinnochio!

dhunter on April 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Police chief just does what the mayor tells him to-and the cops just do what the chief tells them.

Blame lies with the Mayor of Quincy.

And I think you can all guess the mayor’s political affiliation:

Turn them out. Every democrat you can. From the local level on up. They are making me sick to my stomach. I see this even on the local level in my own area-any voice of reason has totally left the Democratic Party – the center-left is being methodically pushed out, and the arrogant, petulant, foolish radical left is quickly taking over the entire party. Very disturbing.

Dreadnought on April 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

any voice of reason has totally left the Democratic Party –
Dreadnought on April 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

When have the Dems been reasonable. If they once were, it’s been so long that I’ve forgotten when.

docdave on April 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Not to rain on the parade here, but sometimes events like these can be used for training. It doesn’t mean they viewed the crowd as dangerous. In fact, what better time to train in a real world environment with real people around who won’t toss a bottle, rock or bag of poo at your head.

I wasn’t there so I can’t say the police didn’t have fingers on the pepper spray trigger, but just wanted to tell people to relax. What you think is happening and what is actually happening can be two very different things.

I know not all cops are perfect, but there are men with brains under those helmets. Give the police some credit, okay.

simon on April 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

And I used to think Jimmy Carter had no backbone.

jdkchem on April 28, 2010 at 11:29 PM

simon on April 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Events like that are not used for training. Where did you ever get that idea. It is beyond absurd.

jdkchem on April 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM

This comment:

INC, tetriskid, There must have been a very cooperative city government. Local governments cannot be legally ordered around by POTUS.

Pelayo on April 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Plus this one:

Dreadnought on April 28, 2010 at 11:08 PM

make for some interesting speculation.

INC on April 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM

See also this post from Dana Loesch:

Who gave the order to call in the riot police on protesters? Word is that Secret Service from inside the venue and the presidential team pressured local law enforcement, who were against the idea. Local cops were overruled, I’m told by various sources, including a few members of local press. Moore reported that she overheard Secret Service telling the riot squad to “push them back, out of sight.“

INC on April 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM

How could any respectable policeman agree to this humiliation?

It reminds me of the sign I wore on my back to the last tea party: How is my behavior? Please report any problems to the media.

HellCat on April 28, 2010 at 11:46 PM

They did this only so they can come out and say, without being caught in a lie, that they had to call the swat team to a tea party rally. They’ll use it to push their meme about Tea Partiers being violent and hateful, like that shmuck did yesterday on Megyn’s show (or was it Hannity I can’t remember anymore)

Rbastid on April 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I watched that video–did I miss something here?

Where was all the action, the excitement, the violence?

Better stay back on the sidewalk, all you wild-eyed right-wing nut-job Tea Partiers! Left, Left, Left Right Left!

Steve Z on April 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM

More info from Jim Hoft that gives the lie to the Quincy newspaper quote in the post:

We did everything the local police asked. We moved where they directed us. We moved when they asked us to. We double-checked that we were in an acceptable place on the street. We did not disobey the police and stand and sing God Bless America as some kind of protest. We stood on the corner and sang because we were told it was OK to stand on the corner and sing. That report is a complete whitewash for the Obama Administration’s overreaction to old ladies with American flags.

And, if the Whig-Herald wants us to post video of the entire event… We have it and We will post it.

INC on April 29, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Cop one to his buddy, “What the hell are we doing here”?

Cop two, “the Chief said he thought he saw an old lady holding an American flag saying she loved her country”.

Cop one, “good for me, overtime baby”

Our country is screwed up at the moment.

FireBlogger on April 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Sorry, the newspaper is quoted in the post, but the specific section that said the Tea Partiers didn’t cooperate are not. This is the quote I meant that Hoft contradicts:

INC on April 29, 2010 at 12:05 AM

haha

dnlchisholm on April 29, 2010 at 12:12 AM

“Left, right, left, right, left”
Wait, that’s wrong.
Shouldn’t it be
LEFT, LEFT, LEFT, LEFT, FARTHER LEFT, ETC?

gordo on April 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM

If they have more video, particularly video that shows the level of co-operation, and where they were ACTUALLY standing when singing, they need to post it. ALL OF IT. Post it and link it where ever they can. Post it along with the false reporting by the paper.

Lets start calling the liars exactly what they are. And back it up.

flyfishingdad on April 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Rbastid on April 29, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Yep.

J.E. Dyer on April 29, 2010 at 12:16 AM

flyfishingdad on April 29, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I agree. I made that comment over there.

INC on April 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM

simon on April 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Yes. I can totally see how it was reasonable to bring cops in full riot gear & SNIPERS WITH SPOTTERS to a peaceful protest of elderly women singing a hymn.

tetriskid on April 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

tetriskid on April 29, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I loved one of the comments under a photo:

They were packing heat, just in case the grandmothers started throwing bingo chips at the building.

I hope FOX puts this on TV tomorrow.

yoda on April 29, 2010 at 1:03 AM

docdave on April 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Yes, but it’s gotten worse, I assure you.

On the national level there were guys like Moynihan, Proxmire, Casey, and many on the local level – now, I would disagree with their overall philosophy but at least I felt like, you know, we grew up on the same planet. You know what I mean?

Now it feels like the “Martians” have taken over.

Dreadnought on April 29, 2010 at 1:18 AM

Reminds me of a scene in “Airplane” where grandmas were interrogated while terrorists were freely roaming at the airport.

miron on April 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM

When I hear a cop in riot gear popping off cadence on main street, I can’t help but laugh. Seriously? I would have been embarrassed to have been in that group marching down the street.

ButterflyDragon on April 29, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I wonder if one of the cops came up to gramma and said, “Insurance Papers, Bitte”

The_Basseteer on April 29, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Hell’s Grannies

Philly on April 28, 2010 at 8:35 PM

agmartin on April 29, 2010 at 2:38 AM

This is not funny, IT IS INFURIATING!

Who do these asshats think they are?

I think mass firings are in order. Start from the bottom up until you get to the bad apples.

Lonetown on April 29, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Lay off the cops; they’re just doing their jobs. And yes, like in just about any other job sometimes they have to do stuff even they find stupid. What, you think they’re going to quit their jobs in THIS economy just because they were told to patrol an event which MOST of them probably agree with? Ya’ll DO know the vast majority of LEOs are Conservatives, right? Besides, as Simon said, these types of things are used as training excercises. Ask any cop.

I swear though, reading some of the comments here I had to double check to make sure I hadn’t somehow ended up on Dkos or Huffpo. I’m scared to think what types of comments would have been made had these been soldiers or National Guardsmen tasked with ‘keeping the peace’ at a Tea Party event! I mean, if this is how you treat the men and women who risk their lives daily to keep you and your family safe at home… 53 officers killed so far this year in the line of duty. Just something to think about.

Stop hating on the poor schmoes out doing their jobs, and instead direct that hate at the people who deserve it…the politicians who wasted the time of officers who I assure you would have rather been doing their actual jobs instead of wasting their time in hot, heavy, and VERY uncomfortable gear being the butts of stupid jokes.

wolfva on April 29, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Obama flexing muscle on grannies. Wants to show these old people who has all the power. Wants to see them tremble, I guess.
I read it was the secret service who made the call for these cops to come out.

JellyToast on April 29, 2010 at 7:05 AM

First thing to pop into my mind when I heard the cadence called out was:

Sgt. Hulka: “Your left, your left, your left, right, left.”
Zitsky to Winger: “Hey, we’re walkin’!”
Winger: “There she was, just a-walkin’ down the street, singin’ ‘Do-wah-ditty-ditty-dum-ditty do’.”

tpitman on April 29, 2010 at 7:17 AM

I thought the Keystone Kops were restricted to Pennsyltucky!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on April 29, 2010 at 7:21 AM

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon to Hilton Head, pres Clinton was there for a meeting. When we walked out on the beach we saw two dark green pickup trucks with guys in full gear roll down the beach. Then a nice guy jogged up and with a bright smile said “Hi! keep your hands out of your pockets and exposed at all times.”

This all happened within a minute and it suddenly dawned on us what was going on. We looked behind us and there were two snipers on top of the Hilton and two on top of the Hyatt.

A guy riding down the beach on a bicycle, towing a covered stroller/wagon got within 300 feet and was immediately swarmed.

While I was having a theological debate with myself about shaking his hand, my lovely bride practically ran over to say hi and let him know we prayed for him. (She is just the bold type that is oblivious to having sniper rifles trained on her –but at least she had her hands out of her pockets.)

So, I wouldn’t want their job.

That all being said, Obama’s handlers do everything possible to manage what the media sees. They cover crosses, move F-22s and pack crowds with their supporters.

Pictures like these are wonderful, because you sure won’t see them from the MSM.

M

AE on April 29, 2010 at 7:22 AM

She looked at me as I was walking down the street singing

Do Wah Didddy…. LMAO!

Quincy, a decades long, declining democrat craphole. What a surprise…

MNHawk on April 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM

As far as the snipers and spotters on the roof goes, this has been standard practice since the Kennedy assassination.

The two pictured with the binocs may well be local police doing an overview, but there will be several teams of spotters and snipers on the rooftops. Not local PD, but Secret Service snipers. With *really* nice rifles.

The local SWAT response is so over the top as to be ludicrous, but rooftop observers are not.

NavyspyII on April 29, 2010 at 7:58 AM

According to Barack Obama the TEA party elders are, just like his own grandmother, “tyical white persons”.

philly_PA on April 29, 2010 at 8:17 AM

BO is just flexing his power bcs he wants to put all those death panel-ees in their place.
That Grandma’s life saving heart surgery is soon going to be designated as ‘nonessential’.

Badger40 on April 29, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Is it required to be 20-30 pounds overweight to be on the SWAT team?

RobCon on April 29, 2010 at 8:33 AM

At leaset they won’t be asking for “papers”.

RobCon on April 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM

Look at all the John Kerrys marching out of step. They had to be embarrassed to look like bumbling fools.

volsense on April 29, 2010 at 8:37 AM

After more thought, and a nightmare or two, It would not surprise me to see the juvenile in chief declare martial law for a manufactured ‘crisis’ just like the purported ‘crisis’ in Arizona.
You know he’d love to do this! This would be a way to implement his ‘Commander in Chief’ role, and exert his ‘authority’ in a way for the entire world to see how ‘militant’ he is.
We KNOW more ‘crises’ are coming; He and his ‘gang’ cannot wait to fabricate the next one to justify their existence, make more headlines, and exert their power over the People.
I’m looking for Rush Limbaugh to focus on this ploy very soon, if not today.

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hey, they might have been carrying knitting needles or wielding walkers or brandishing nasal spray or any of the other lethal stuff that we elderly carry all the time.

jeanie on April 29, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Most raggedy-assed bunch since I was in basic training.

Too bad Zero wasn’t there to show them how to do it.

Mr. Grump on April 29, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Have to send this link to everyone. Hopefully this has made its way to Rush, Beck, Hannity and O’Blowhard.

james23 on April 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM

CALLING ALL CARS!
Be on the look out for a suspect with blue hair, 5 feet tall who may be in possession of pitcures of her grandchildren…suspect has been known to introduce young officers to her unmarried forty-something daughter who is still looking for the right guy.

RobCon on April 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

“Teabaggers,” AP? So, you’re lining up with the leftist press.

rlwo2008 on April 29, 2010 at 10:16 AM

As you know angry teapartiers have been known to say the n-word and spit on congressmen. The Congressional Black Caucus says so.

Who knows what dark deeds they are capable of committing? Don’t let their advanced ages fool you. They are battle hardened warriors I am sure. Didn’t you see Gran Torino? I am surprised the SWAT team didn’t have grenade launchers just to be safe.

Lily on April 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Bill Murray did it better in “Stripes.”

karl9000 on April 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

jdkchem and tetriskid:

What I’m saying is, to my understanding, Quincy is not a big town. So opportunites for officers to get experience protecting a dignitary or responding to serious situations are few and far between. A Presidential visit is a perfect opportunity to learn new techniques. Add a “protest” and get the added benefit. You can learn things from even peaceful protests about group dynamics, crowd control, etc.

As for the snipers, I’ve been to a couple of Presidential visits in my area. Snipers are always present and I believe are assisting the Secret Service. It’s a perfect opportunity for the local police to learn something new or improve their skill.

My main point was don’t automatically assume the police are there to beat up old ladies or shoot tea partiers. Sometimes, conservatives are just as bad as liberals at buying the media narrative that “cops are bad, crazy, brain-dead monsters.”

simon on April 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Quincy cops – Gilbert and Sullivan opera!

Richard1935 on April 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM

“God Bless America” is what all the dangerous terrorists sing, isn’t it? Good thing they didn’t recite the Pledge of Allegiance – they’d have gotten tear-gassed.

hawksruleva on April 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM

buying the media narrative that “cops are bad, crazy, brain-dead monsters.”

simon on April 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM

The ones issuing traffic tickets definately are.

Andy in Agoura Hills on April 29, 2010 at 12:23 PM

wolfva: Meant to say thanks. (One of our officers can be counted in that 53.)

simon on April 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM

The scene was ridiculous, but I’m not laughing. The militarization of civilian police is not a laughing matter, nor is calling them out to scare a bunch of middle-aged, middle-class LEGITIMATE protestors who have not committed any act of violence. I think Obama’s message here was pretty clear.

RebeccaH on April 29, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I don’t find a damn thing about this funny! Ass hole Obama wanted these cops out there with the intention of provoking an emotional response with the hopes of sparking violence. He could then get on the news stating the “these Tea Baggers are racist, violent rebels, and action needs to be taken!” These are the same type of tactics used by Lincoln, Hitler, Ho Ch Men, etc. Prepare for civil war people its coming!

Confederate on April 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM

miron on April 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM

I think you might be confused.
What you just described is not a scene from “Airplane”, it’s TSA’s SOP at every airport in the country.

VelvetElvis on April 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I laughed out loud as Captain Fife prompted the commandos in their jaunt down the street. I think he should have popped a “and take it to the left, one, two, three, four and back, two three, four”

And all the twist tie hand cuffs hanging off the belts…

I think maybe they felt a little rediculous being called to do this job. They probably wanted to stand with their friends on the curb. Would have been great to hear a “g’day Stan” sent out from the crowd to the cops.

caygeon on April 29, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I wonder if they did this because all the violent rhetoric towards the Tea Partiers yet no swat team has yet to have been called. Yet, the immigration rallies in Arizona do turn violet almost instantly and need riot teams deployed and it is called, “Mostly peaceful”. Why does a “mostly peaceful” rally need riot teams deployed yet a violent extremist tea party rally has never had one yet. Well problem solved, just have the secret service lean on the local PD to deploy their riot teams at the first possible opportunity against a tea party event.

Heftyjo on April 29, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Dissent is the highest form of terrorism.

Army Preps for Tea Party ‘Terrorists’

The first intel advisory was issued on Friday, 23 April 2010, and identifies the terrorist threat adversaries as “Local Militia Groups / Anti-Government Protesters / TEA Party.”

You read that right: “TEA Party”!

Who are the useful idiots now? Look in the mirror, neoclown security state humpers. You are all terrorists now.

Rae on April 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Rae on April 29, 2010 at 3:41 PM

And they’d better not think for a New York minute that all the jackbootery in the two ‘Patriot’ Acts, as well as other less-known laws, won’t be used against them!

(at least they wouldn’t…if they could understand the principle of a ‘legal boomerang’!)

Dark-Star on April 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM

At least they didn’t ask to see their papers.

Sefton on April 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Bill Murray did it better in “Stripes.”

karl9000 on April 29, 2010 at 11:10 AM

BOOM CHAKA-LAKA-LAKA, BOOM CHAKA LAKA-LAKA, BOOM CHAKA LAKA-LAKA BOOM!!

Sefton on April 29, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Blue hair:
” Son, sonny is that you?
What the hell you doin here with all that crap on I told you not to play Darth Vader in public!
Now take that crap off, put down the gun and baton before your sister comes over and beats the tar out of you again!”

Cop:
“But, but MOM the Precedent ordered me to!”

Blue Hair,

“SON DAMNIT last time you tried this you fell down and couldn’t get up with all that crap on, now get out of here before your sister sees ya and shoves that night stick up your …!”

“Who ya think you are a Black Panther or somethin, son your a white boy and you could get hurt or go to prison for carrying that stick and tell me that damn gun isn’t loaded! I told you not to play with loaded guns ever since you blew a hole in the livin room floor and killed the damn cat downstairs sleepin on the couch.”

“If’n that moron Pinnochio put you up to this I hope he was smart enough to not give you real bullets lest you fall down and blow his ass off this time!”

dhunter on April 29, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Break out the Mexican Flag; That scares the crap out of them!

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Dark-Star on April 29, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Your comments give me whiplash; Good to read after my first beer.

Cybergeezer on April 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

CALLING ALL CARS!

RobCon on April 29, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Cookies! They have cookies! Maintain your position until you see milk!”

AaronGuzman on April 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Not one of them is in step! Must be the donut brigade!

GarandFan on April 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Rule #1 in close order drill… get in freakin’ step

whiskeytango on April 28, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Heck, I thought it was just me. I had to re watch it again because I thought I was just seeing things wrong.

The local’s could have used my favorite from Heartbreak Ridge. (about 55 sec’s in)
Not suitable for the office or young children!!!!!!

VikingGoneWild on April 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Calm down – the black helicopters are not over your house… geez!

Bradky on April 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Honey, would you get my riot gear out of the closet?…grannie’s holding up her TEA party sign again!

Nalea on April 30, 2010 at 7:45 AM

wolfva on April 29, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Chill, Wolf. My husband was a cop and we love them. This is more of a harbinger of what BO could call for if he wanted to. It’s still reminder of presidential power over the masses. WWII was an example of how the police lock stepped to power’s horrors.

Nalea on April 30, 2010 at 8:00 AM

And the Metamucil wafers flew…

AmericanDad on April 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM