Quotes of the day

posted at 11:05 pm on April 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

“Mexicans in Arizona should carry documentation and ‘act carefully’ after the state passed a law requiring local police to determine the immigration status of anyone suspected of being in the country illegally, Mexico’s Foreign Ministry said.

“The ministry said the warning is directed toward Mexicans living, studying or planning to travel to the southwestern U.S. state, which shares a border with northern Mexico, according to the e-mailed statement sent today. It comes as members of U.S. President Barack Obama’s administration said they have concerns about the new law and may seek to overturn it in court.

“‘There is an adverse political environment for migrant communities and all Mexican visitors,’ Mexico’s ministry said. ‘It’s important to act carefully and respect the local laws.’”

***
“‘I think there is going to be some constitutional problems with the bill,’ he said to the standing-room-only crowd at the Colony Cottage Recreation Center. ‘I wished they hadn’t passed it, in a way.’…

“‘These are modern police forces that respect the rights of people in their communities,’ Rove said. ‘They’re going to do it on the basis of reasonable suspicion that these people are here illegally, like they’re driving a car with a Mexican license plate or they can’t speak English or they don’t have a drivers license.’…

“‘At the end of the day … I think there are better tools,’ he said. ‘But I understand where it’s coming from.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

In other words, Rubio just applied fear and imaginary negatives to another state’s legislation that is essentially bravely creative and self-preserving. As all good legislation for and by states on behalf of their voters should be.

Lourdes on April 28, 2010 at 4:03 AM

I carry my documentation with me all the time.

Who I am.
Where I live.

Given how our current laws work…

What happens to anyone that cannot produce identification?

The police hold them till they can identify who they are. Right?

Kini on April 28, 2010 at 4:27 AM

Stop the Rubio bashing. This is a no Rubashing zone. (Hee!) What do you expect a politician, even a principled one, running in an immigrant-full state to say? At least he didn’t say it was unconstitutional, or scamper away like a political cockroach.

andy85719 on April 28, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I expect him to put country over race. I do not want no need another racist in Congress or the whitehouse. rubio is not a hispanic he is an american and should always place that above his skin color. what he did was pander to the racists. He was wrong and should be called out on it.

unseen on April 28, 2010 at 5:47 AM

She wont have a problem winning the presidency.

the_nile on April 28, 2010 at 6:03 AM

FYI, this is what happens to illegal aliens in Mexico…

Khun Joe on April 28, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Then people doubt why we love her. In case someone dares that she hasn’t ran a business, small or large, Sarah and Todd own (or owned) a business, commercial fishing in AK.

Can’t wait until she raises her hand, swear (I bet) on R. Reagan’s Holy Bible to become Madame President and fix this crap that’s going on right now.

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 6:38 AM

It is a felony and you are incredibly fortunate if they simply deport you.

Inanemergencydial on April 27, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Ask Dog the bounty hunter.

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 6:41 AM

I can imagine many of you think that the Limbaugh Laws are pretty harsh. Well, let me tell you this, folks. Every one of the laws I just mentioned are actual laws of Mexico, today. I just read you Mexican immigration law. I just read you how shamefully the Mexican government treats their own southern border with Guatemala. I just read you how the Mexican government handles immigrants to their country. Yet Mexicans and others come here illegally, they protest in our streets, they get on our welfare program, and we have members of the United States Senate, both parties, doing handstands and back flips, going through every contortion possible to allow it to continue so that it doesn’t make these people mad, resulting in votes against these linguini-spined populations.

How do you say double standard in Spanish? “No Mas?”

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-I’ve been to Guatemala and it is unfortunate if there is any serious country conflict; Guatemala’s food has some Mexican influence in it.

2-Waving their flags in this country pisses me off to no end. GO BACK AND DO THAT THERE!

3-There are ways to take advantage of the system and I know it. The Hispanic Council knows it. They’ve told me. Yet for whatever reason, forging, lie or mislead with their ppwk to grab welfare and/or other benefits is despicable. The Council knows they live very well, and don’t need welfare; yet they get away with it.

4-Texas and other border states better move fast!! If there are other states considering enforcing the same law, liberal heads will explode and Mexico will be in a tizzy. Let’s make public Mexico’s law and statutes when it comes to illegal immigrants. Shoot that’s a great idea.

NOTE TO SELF: Fish it and translate to English.

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM

I should have clarified early name ONE consistent Conservative that is UNAFRAID to take on the Libs/Obama…….at a National level!!

I was thinking a Mitt /Huckabee level person.

PappyD61 on April 28, 2010 at 7:01 AM

I guess Arizona struck a nerve.

JellyToast on April 28, 2010 at 7:02 AM

So is Ohio and so is Utah.

Lourdes on April 27, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I wish Pennsylvania joins in, but with the politicians that we have here…I feel the need to apologize -ahem- to you guys because PA sucks. There are thousands here, and I look like them and for that I get the racist treatment too.

I may sound like a whiney bit**, but I can’t carry a button or a bumper sticker on my rear end that says, “I am an American, born in PR”. Heh I take that back. In a meeting w/a few ladies more than 10 years ago, I had to clear up that we don’t run around topless, men and women with skirts and hunt for prey. Major facepalm there.

In PR men and chicks dress as well as here, esp. in the bank industry. I could not afford women’s power suits! Besides, it’s summer all year long~so enjoy the mini-skirts and tight jeans with nice curves ;)

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM

I think the people of Arizona passed this bill for completely legitimate reasons, however, I do think there is a possibility of some civil rights violations. That is possible in almost any law enforcement issue. I don’t think the whole issue of profiling is what will cause them the most problems, in fact I think the only real issue might be the one in which it is noted that this is a federal function, not a state function. I realize that the people of Arizona feel the feds have not lived up to their responsibilities and so the state must act. However, I think that in terms of opposing the bill this is the most vulnerable aspect and a lot of people at the federal level will consider it an issue of turf.

I don’t blame Rubio or Jeb Bush or Rove or any of these people for saying they have concerns, there is nothing wrong with having concerns, but in the end they have to back a solution to the problem.

But I wonder, if a year after this bill goes in effect and if it survives all the court challenges from civil libertarians and Democrats, will the people of Arizona be satisfied with the effort if there are still illegals in their state? Or will they simply be saying that the state law enforcement people are refusing to carry out the law? This is my biggest concern with all of this.

Terrye on April 28, 2010 at 7:19 AM

Now I ask where are the other leaders calling out the racist ads that the Obama/dems are using?

unseen on April 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Mittens is doing his hair. Jeb is approaching the law with “concern” and is morphing into Charlie Crist as I write this. No one could find T-Paw, although search parties have been sent out across Minnesota. Marco Rubio is busy basting another pig.

victor82 on April 28, 2010 at 7:24 AM

I guess Arizona struck a nerve.

JellyToast on April 28, 2010 at 7:02 AM

You ain’t kidding there! I have a guy at work who is not hispanic and had no intention of ever going to Arizona and he is absolutely livid about this. I mean frothing at the mouth insane. And I have no idea why because he can’t form a coherent sentence about it other than it’s racist.

Johnnyreb on April 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Johnnyreb on April 28, 2010 at 7:28 AM

The law goes to the root of multiculturelism in the “white guilt” religion. The belief that non-whites should be held to the same laws as whites is unthinkable to them and makes their heads explode. thus all bills that require non-whites to be held accountable to the Nation of laws that the “white man” built is considered racist by default.

unseen on April 28, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Meanwhile…Mexico will open fire on anyone trying to cross their southern border illegally.

Hypocrites

Hening on April 28, 2010 at 7:35 AM

And can we please deport George Lopez while we’re at it? I hate that douchebag.

Doorgunner on April 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM

And can we please deport George Lopez while we’re at it? I hate that douchebag.

Doorgunner on April 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Oh yes, please. I’m with you.

sherry on April 28, 2010 at 7:51 AM

heck, the mexican gov’t created ‘how to’ pamphlets for their citizens who want to come here illegally (what is expected, etc)

cmsinaz on April 28, 2010 at 7:57 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Hey PPF, where in PA are you located? Chester Co here.
You are right about our PA pols, but we have very good candidates this time for Gov (Corbett) and Senate (Toomey). Don’t forget, PA is one of the states that sued to block Obamacare; thanks to Corbett.

james23 on April 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Good job by Palin, by the way. AGAIN.

james23 on April 28, 2010 at 8:03 AM

‘It’s important to act carefully and respect the local laws.’”

I’ve felt the same way ever since I watched

Midnight Express

years ago.

Go Arizona.

BuckeyeSam on April 28, 2010 at 8:09 AM

And can we please deport George Lopez while we’re at it? I hate that douchebag.

Doorgunner on April 28, 2010 at 7:42 AM

Just elect Palin in 2012. He promised to return to Mexico if she becomes President.

Doughboy on April 28, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I think people don’t realize how hard it is for people in Arizona and Texas to crack down on illegals. Their population and environment is in large part Hispanic. These people are their neighbors, friends and family (all three for Bush and Rubio families)and it’s hard for them to equate that with the crime and financial problems. But facts are tough things to live with and illegal immigrants are making life miserable. Notice you don’t hear much outrage from the nation that Mayor Daily wants to fix his murder problem in Chicago by getting rid of the Second Amendment. Maybe it’s because no one thinks it will happen but for many it’s a great idea.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Cindy- It is hard for some people to accept the fact of illegal immigrant crime. The murder of Mr. Krentz was a wake up call.

kingsjester on April 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM

kingsjester on April 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I think it was the icing on the cake. I have read several reports on what they think happened to him and one of them was that he was actually helping an illegal that was injured. It’s too bad that the immigrant population doesn’t realize that all would be happier and safer if they stood up the criminal instead of making what is probably the only thing they have in common, point of origin, and making that the hill worth fighting for.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM

So in the same vein, you think southern blacks would be cool with a mass immigration of millions of Africans coming here illegally?

How about millions of illegal Irish and English suddenly showing up in the North East? You think they’d welcome them with open arms?

darwin on April 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM

darwin on April 28, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I think everyone wants better for what they see as their extended family and would probably welcome them. As for Southern Blacks, they consider themselves Americans, they have been here from the beginning. To me the correlation of immigrant Hispanics and black Americans is as insulting as the gay rights and civil rights struggle.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 8:56 AM

unseen on April 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Leaders? We have “other leaders”?

As usual, water is still wet.

GrannyDee on April 28, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Marc Rubio is already a sell-out. Imagine this guy in the senate? Rino all the way.

West should be the senator of Florida. Is it to late for West to run against him?

oldyeller on April 28, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Just watch his CPAC speech and see why he’s in such a catch-22. Or, he supports amnesty.

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Hey PPF, where in PA are you located? Chester Co here.

james23 on April 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Erie, Tom Ridge’s hometown. Hey we have six candidates to replace that Dahlkemper that Stupack’d us. SIX!!

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Related parody: Illegal Alien Sex Slave Traffickers Decry “Mean-Spirited” Arizona Immigration Reform Law http://optoons.blogspot.com/2010/04/illegal-alien-sex-slave-traffickers.html

Mervis Winter on April 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Hey PPF, where in PA are you located? Chester Co here.

james23 on April 28, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Didn’t Rendell, our dear governor, smack him for it?

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 6:52 AM

I wonder what would happen if someone here was to burn a Mexican flag.

davidk on April 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I worked with Americans of Hispanic heritage in CO. They love their culture and celebrate it often.

They hate the illegals. They want the immigration laws enforced.

davidk on April 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM

davidk on April 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Let’s hope they are the tipping point to help the country get through this. I am sure they are like the rest of us and want to live their lives left alone. I think that’s why the Tea Party movement if more representative then the Left wants to admit. The quiet folks need to speak up.

Cindy Munford on April 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM

unseen on April 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM

“Present.”

davidk on April 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM

They hate the illegals. They want the immigration laws enforced.

davidk on April 28, 2010 at 9:51 AM

What I don’t understand here, there is a Hispanic American Council. So they offer help, English classes, legal info, etc. They KNOW that Mexicans are getting away with welfare, fed. funds and they just get away with it. They told me this!

They have to grab one of those “Take-A-Ticket” red tags, sit down, be quiet and wait their turn.

ProudPalinFan on April 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM

That is an excellent point, ProudPalinFanatic. These groups like La Raza KNOW they are helping others break the law. They should be ticketed or fined or whatever for aiding and abetting or something. I am serious.

FlickeringFlame on April 28, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Excellent interview by Sean and great comments by Sarah.

She is hitting her stride, I’d say.

AnninCA on April 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM

It’s wrong to look at Latinos in Arizona and speculate that they might be here illigally…but it’s perfectly fine to look at the Tea Partiers and see a bunch of racists because the majority are White!

Racial profiling for thee but not for me.

OxyCon on April 28, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I’m pretty sure police aren’t going to stop every Latino in Arizona. I’m also sure that a lot of Latinos were included in the 70% of people in favor of the bill.

If you were an American Latino in Tucson, wouldn’t you trade the possibility of being asked for ID for a lower chance of being shot or kidnapped?

hawksruleva on April 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Another point to consider. Crossing the border isn’t the only law that many illegals break. A lot of them also forge social security cards, which often leads to identity theft.

In fact, I believe I’ve read that Americans of hispanic origin are more likely to be victims of this theft.

And then there’s the drug trade, violence, money-laundering and kidnapping.

Who wouldn’t want more of that stuff? It’s time we started showing the reasons why AZ is fed up.

hawksruleva on April 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Someone asked earlier in the thread about Mexico’s immigration policies. The Rush bit from ’06 was really good.

The Boss Emeritus has answered with her syndicated newspaper column this week, right on time. Check it out, it is excellent as always:

How Mexico treats illegal aliens