Marco Rubio: I have “concerns” about Arizona’s immigration law

posted at 4:14 pm on April 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

What’s that murmur I hear suddenly rippling through the throngs of America’s grassroots conservatives? Listen closely. It almost sounds like … “Second look at Crist.”

No no, just kidding. I’m amused by the punditocracy’s oohing and aahing over how deft Rubio’s statement is, because, really, what else could he say? Obviously he’s going to take a strong line on border enforcement to please tea partiers, and obviously he’s going to worry about the law being used to harass Latino citizens. Any conscientious politician — especially one facing a statewide race where the Cuban vote will be a factor — would do the same. And look: Potential civil rights abuses are a legit concern with the new law. I’ve written two posts explaining why I think those fears are overblown (see Byron York’s piece today in the Examiner arguing along the same lines), but it could be that I’m misreading it or that cops will apply it more broadly than intended. If so, and Latino citizens end up being mistakenly hauled in, that’s a big deal.

The one truly deft aspect of this statement? Framing the law as a potential problem not just for Latinos, but for law enforcement too.

Our legal immigration system must continue to welcome those who seek to embrace America’s blessings and abide by the legal and orderly system that is in place. The American people have every right to expect the federal government to secure our borders and prevent illegal immigration. It has become all too easy for some in Washington to ignore the desperation and urgency of those like the citizens of Arizona who are disproportionately wrestling with this problem as well as the violence, drug trafficking and lawlessness that spills over from across the border.

States certainly have the right to enact policies to protect their citizens, but Arizona’s policy shows the difficulty and limitations of states trying to act piecemeal to solve what is a serious federal problem. From what I have read in news reports, I do have concerns about this legislation. While I don’t believe Arizona’s policy was based on anything other than trying to get a handle on our broken borders, I think aspects of the law, especially that dealing with ‘reasonable suspicion,’ are going to put our law enforcement officers in an incredibly difficult position. It could also unreasonably single out people who are here legally, including many American citizens. Throughout American history and throughout this administration we have seen that when government is given an inch it takes a mile.

I hope Congress and the Obama Administration will use the Arizona legislation not as an excuse to try and jam through amnesty legislation, but to finally act on border states’ requests for help with security and fix the things about our immigration system that can be fixed right now – securing the border, reforming the visa and entry process, and cracking down on employers who exploit illegal immigrants.

Outside of maybe Jim DeMint, you’re not going to find any prominent Republican pushing a line much stronger than this. It’s simply too risky to take an unqualified “rock on, Arizona!” approach given the prospect of some sort of civil-rights clusterfark happening once it goes into effect. Just as I’m writing this, I see that Jeb Bush has weighed in against the statute, and as of this morning, Grahamnesty declared it flatly unconstitutional (without giving any reasons, natch). Even Tancredo has “concerns.” Rubio’s statement, which emphasizes the statute’s potential for abuse without ever declaring it illegal or calling for its repeal, is a comparative model of restraint.

One other point from his statement. The line about not giving the state an inch lest it take a mile is clever insofar as it marries criticism of the statute to tea-party concerns about small government. Eugene Robinson used the same argument in his op-ed today declaring the new law racist, hateful, blah blah blah. I don’t follow the logic, though. As far as I know, most tea partiers are hawkish (the Paulnut contingent excluded); a strong military necessarily means bigger government, but my hunch is that TPers are okay with that since national defense is what the federal government is for. Same with border defense. As I pointed out once before, tea partiers don’t mind paying taxes — a majority of them say their current tax burden is fair — but they want their tax money put to good use, and I dare say that border enforcement qualifies. Exit question for Rubio: Should we scale military spending way back on grounds that “when government is given an inch it takes a mile”? (Exit answer from Ron Paul: Yes!)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Now, isn’t Rubio running for the Senate seat in Florida?

d1carter on April 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, focus on Orange man and Florida, Marco.

Fletch54 on April 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

recovering Dem in AZ here. I have sent money to Marco before and I will again.

His statement says ‘based on news reports’ he has concerns. Hell anyone seeing the news reports thinks we called in the Gestapo.

I have no trouble with him being sensitive to the issue considering he is in FL

But do not tar him with an amnesty brush, as a child of Cuban immigrants, legal Im sure, I have heard him speak on immigration and he wants enforcement.

AP have any thoughts on Jeb Bush blasting our law?

I hope the GOP leadership holds together, looks to me like some are taking the lib Dem bait and saying it is bad law…

Dont believe the hype, check the polling GOP leaders, Americans want enforcement to encourage attrition we do not want amnesty

ginaswo on April 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

If the illegals aren’t filing their taxes, we cannot verify if they have properly medical, and therefore should be -ahem- fined.

But we can’t verify their immigration status. That’s racist.

lorien1973 on April 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Isn’t this 180 degrees off? Shouldn’t ‘reasonable suspicion’ put illegals in an incredibly difficult situation and not LEO’s?

Why is everything upside down?

Inanemergencydial on April 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

But we can’t verify their immigration status. That’s racist.

lorien1973 on April 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Especially at the ballot box.

Inanemergencydial on April 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

AP have any thoughts on Jeb Bush blasting our law?

ginaswo on April 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Isn’t Jeb a pro-amnesty guy? Or is that just his older brother?

Doughboy on April 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Doughboy on April 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Jeb is all about amnesty as well.

lorien1973 on April 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

civil rights abuses are a legit concern

Isn’t that a given for the whole justice system.

the_nile on April 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Except that securing the borders is a HUGE priority of Tea Party folks, conservatives, and libertarians alike.

And what I truly find funny is how Liberal douchebags like Mr. Robinson can’t distinguish between Constitutionally granted powers and stretching the Constitution to get whatever you want.

The Constitution says…the Feds are responsible for protecting states against Invasion, which this blatantly is.

The Constitution does NOT say…the Feds are responsible for providing Healthcare, or controlling Education, or providing Food stamps, or to tax people unequally.

uknowmorethanme on April 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Trying reading the bill first Rubio.

Have any of these morons ever traveled to or worked in another first world nation?

Here is a clue: THERE IS EFFING PAPERWORK INVOLVED.

PAPERWORK DOES NOT EQUAL RACISM.

Does anybody realize how hard Asia is laughing right now?

tetriskid on April 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

The Bush’s are pro-Amnesty, pro-cheap labor. We saw that. We know. No more compassionate conservatives — they are too liberal with our money.

andy85719 on April 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I’m surprised he used the word “amnesty” and talked about border enforcement-first. Strong for a Florida Hispanic Republican.

amerpundit on April 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Wow! I’m so NOT surprised to see this “story” here. A NON-story along the lines of all the Palin “scandals” that generate hundreds of comments!

Bravo!

JannyMae on April 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM

And look: Potential civil rights abuses are a legit concern with the new law.

Haven’t you heard? You’re paranoid if you worry about civil rights if it gets in the way of a bill that lets the Feds get away with not doing their job.

MadisonConservative on April 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

First, he defends RomneyCare–and now this. Sigh…

It will be interesting to see what Sarah has to say about it on Hannity tonite…especially since she spent time with Gov. Brewer over the weekend.

takeamericabackin10 on April 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM

devolved into caricature.

Inanemergencydial on April 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM

What a joy to live in a time when there are politicians and commentators — if you look hard enough — who can articulate a reasoned opinion on immigration.

Compare Rubio’s and Goldberg’s comments to the media idiocracy, the race-whiners at DNC, and our RINO buttboys like Medved (who is having an episode over this).

Jaibones on April 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Hey Marco! Pay attention.

1. No amnesty.
2. Secure the border.
3. No access to government services for illegal aliens.

If you do not agree, then you can kiss the tea party vote goodbye. Maybe you’ll win without them but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.

platypus on April 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Jeb is all about amnesty as well.

lorien1973 on April 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

What does Jeb Bush’s wife have to say about AZ law since she did have some opinions about the previous push for amnesty by her B-IN-L ( GWB) ?

macncheez on April 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM

amerpundit on April 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Florida does nt have the problems AZ. has. Illegals tend to keep a low profile in South Florida.

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Adding Arizona to summer vacation plans. Screw the boycotters. The folks of AZ deserve a BUY-COTT.

Sugar Land on April 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

PAPERWORK DOES NOT EQUAL RACISM.
tetriskid on April 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

If it did, I think we’d see a lot less government agencies… :-)

BobOfTexas on April 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Sugar Land on April 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Amen. Planning to go see an old friend this summer.

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I wonder if LGF needs a new guest blogger.
Just kidding.

RobCon on April 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Maybe Marco Rubio should try reading the bill first…

Seven Percent Solution on April 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I’m an American of Cuban descent and I support the AZ bill 100% Unlike Marco Rubio, who is actually running for a senate seat, I read the bill. He should try doing that before commenting.

cubachi on April 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I have concerns about Rubio’s preemptive comb-over.

SirGawain on April 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Marco Rubio: I have “concerns” about Arizona’s immigration law

Hey Rubio
you have any “concerns” for those being slaughtered in their own homes, right here on US soil ?

macncheez on April 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

The GOP of 2010 sounds an awful lot like the GOP of 2006-07.

james23 on April 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Geez, lots of Rubio bashing going on this thread.

terryannonline on April 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I wonder if LGF needs a new guest blogger.
Just kidding.

RobCon on April 27, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Don’t you know? Allahpundit stabbed Johnson in the back by getting 10 times the traffic of LittleGreenFisters.

Blake on April 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

While everyone is worrying about illegals has anyone wondered what our pols are doing for us?

Perhaps taxpayers should send daily e-mails to their representatives asking them what they have done to fulfill their employment contract with their constituents.

Frankly, I don’t give a rat’s a$$ about illegals. If they’re illegal. They’re illegal. I don’t employ them. They do nothing for me other than to increase my tax liability and decrease the quality of life in my community.

Send them back to Mexico with a bill for Calderon for their expenses. Send McCain, Graham and other Republican suck ups an e-mail telling them to “Shaddup”. Tell the Dems to back off.

Are we really going to allow politicians to buy voting blocks with our money? We did it before, and the results have been terrible.

No. More.

Cody1991 on April 27, 2010 at 4:41 PM

since national defense is what the federal government is for.

Exactly. It’s really one of the few things that I find to be the legitimate purpose of the government.

Esthier on April 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM

What about the civil rights of actual Americans, like the poor guy who was murdered in cold blood on his own property by the Arizona-Mexico border.

Oh yeah, he was a white guy. Nevermind.

Brian1972 on April 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Geez, lots of Rubio bashing going on this thread.

terryannonline on April 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I knew it`d happen sooner or later. Anyone in or running for public office isn`t going to match up with everyones ideals all the time. The moment one thing is said or they go slightly off the script, they`re a RINO.

ThePrez on April 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM

If one is so concerned with the civil rights issues in this piece of legislation why not become a civil rights attorney and move to Arizona. I’m sure that socialist organizations will be willing to pay you to help bring down the country through the court system.

thomasaur on April 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM

ThePrez on April 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Especially when it comes to immigration issue.

terryannonline on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

How much are illegals costing the state of Arizona? I know California is BILLIONS in the red, how much taxpayer money is going to feed, educate, and house those who are breaking the law by entering the US illegally? EVERY state has a responsibility to protect its citizens; from crime as well as spending of taxpayer dollars!

TN Mom on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Mr. Krentz remains unavailable for comment.

kingsjester on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

cubachi on April 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM

QFT

- The Cat

MirCat on April 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM

TN Mom on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Sheriff Joe says tents are cheap!

Brian1972 on April 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

cubachi on April 27, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Cubachi for Senator/POTUS where do I get my lawn sign / campaign shirt?

tetriskid on April 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

thomasaur on April 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM

crr6 resume has been sent.

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Cubachi for Senator/POTUS where do I get my lawn sign / campaign shirt?

tetriskid on April 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I would totally vote for Cubachi….she’s awesome. If people were to ask me “Where do you get your news from?”…….the honest answer would be Cubachi since I get so much info from her linking.

terryannonline on April 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Rubio’s statement is quite vague — I called the campaign, when I told them they were not reading the Arizona bill, they finally said they had not. Then I told them the bill called for exactly what was being done in Florida up until Obama signed an EO prohibiting it … ENFORCE FEDERAL LAW.

Then all I got was a whole lot of stuttering and
“we’ll have to get back to you on this”.

Read the bill, it prevents embarrassing yourself.

tarpon on April 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

It looks like Rubio is already in training. They don’t read bills in Washington, either.

kingsjester on April 27, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Read the law and underline the relevant sections with a bright, yellow highlighter pen. ‘Nuf said.

lobbyist on April 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Many here need to quit pretending that civil rights violations are somehow bizarrely outside the realm of possibility. They’re not.

The issue is whether this law necessarily leads to greater violations of civil rights than other laws (all of which curtail human behavior and are subject to abuse by law enforcement). Having never lived in Arizona, I can’t really say whether law enforcement is more prone to singling out Hispanics, but there are, in fact, parts of the country where minorities have their civil rights deformed by police because of their ethnicity. It’s not a ludicrous fear on its face.

It’s ludicrous to extrapolate that concern into “TEH MEXICAN HOLOCAUST IS INCOMING!!!” a la WaPo, MSNBC, or NYT, but liberal fearmongering shouldn’t obscure real issues.

Lehosh on April 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

re the dumb exit question, the people should watch the military just as closely as we watch the politicians. Even though there is little evidence in US history of illicit military activity, we have never had a military under the command of marxists before. I don’t put anything past the criminals.

But the question is also silly because national security is one of the few powers actually granted to the executive branch by the Constitution.

notagool on April 27, 2010 at 5:05 PM

TN Mom on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

California is something like the 8th largest economy in the world – at least they used to be.

With crazy policies from everything from environmental issues to illegal immigration they have allowed themselves to become a basket case needing a federal bailout.

This is insanity. Who would have thought that mentioning California would be the same as saying, ‘Detroit’, with all the disgust that it brings.

I really don’t think that people understand how dire things have become. It isn’t only about illegal immigration. It’s about bad public policy that ignores the basic common sense. When the numbers don’t add up. They don’t work. It’s very simple.

Cody1991 on April 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Did anyone actually read Rubio’s statement above?

It’s perfectly balanced.

rickyricardo on April 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Eliminate ID’s for everything, including voting and driving and I won’t have any problem with the bitching about this law.

Hell, why do we have citizenship? Screw it and send me my Social Security check.

rickyricardo on April 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Let us just suppose, hypothetically, that a young man of Latino appearance and Latino accent was stopped in AZ last week. Let us further suppose that this fellow was asked to present an AZ DL, which he did. Then let us suppose that he was further asked to provide his SS number, which we all know is not to be used for ID purposes (heh). Then let us suppose that he was asked some questions, which he apparently answered poorly by telling the truth. An example Q: ‘Where does your mother live?’ A: ‘Mexico’. What do you suppose might happen next?

1. Let go with sincere apology.

2. Handcuffed and hauled to the station.

If you answered 1., you are now a dodo. The guy had to call his wife, who then had to go to their house and retrieve their US birth certificates, before he could be released. This is according to 3TV, station KTVK in Phoenix. This article was written on 4/21, several days before the legislation was signed.

Perhaps a few HA Arizonans can debunk this entire report. Btw, watch the video clip too.

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

From what I have read in news reports…

Well gee, from what I have read in news reports, Rubio is a right wing extremist so I guess we have the right to tell him to change his positions on issues.

What is it with Republicans, are they genetically disposed to suck up to the media and the left? Read the fracking law before you spout off, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER!

jnelchef on April 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Why is Jeb Bush flapping his gums about a law in Arizona? Is he running for something? Do we really care what he thinks? Sheesh. This guy is just a paler shade of W. From his comment last year about the GOP needing to move past Reagan to this. Please go away Jeb and take any would-be future Bush pols with you.

Redneck Woman on April 27, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Huge concerns for America that cannot be ignored when voting:
Constitution
Border Security
Taxation
The rest of it can be worked out another day.
If a candidate is not for securing the border,getting rid of excessive taxation in all forms, & enforcing the tenets of the Constitution, then that person will never get my vote unless I have to hold my nose.
I really am getting tired of holding my nose to vote.
I am totally ready to do something else if someone has another suggestion?

Badger40 on April 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Hell, why do we have citizenship?

rickyricardo on April 27, 2010 at 5:10 PM

So democrats can track us down when we don’t give them at least 50% of our earnings? That appears to be the only reason for it these days.

darwin on April 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM

In light of where he’s running, I give the anti-Crist a pass on this one.

More importantly, kudos to the great state of Arizona for passing this law that attempts in its own way to enforce laws that the Democratic-controlled Feds refuse to. The illegal immigration scam has been a long-range plan of the Dems: let millions of illegals in, feed, clothe, and house them, drain ours schools and hospitals, then give them anmesty so the Dems can FINALLY do away with the Republican Party = UTOPIA!!!

Nice try, asshats!!

Sweet_Thang on April 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

That may be true. And it isn’t right.
But what about all the illegals who should not be here?
The AZ law is not advocating racial profiling.
AZ didn’t need to pass this thing in the 1st place.
They should just be raiding businesses who employ illegals & send them to ICE, who should be doing their jobs.
What about all the destruction of private property by illegals crossing the border? Kidnappings? That rancher’s murder?
What about the fact that there is an INVASION of FOREIGNERS occurring right under our noses by a country called Mexico who cannot or will not control their citizens’ illegal invasions into a country that is supposed to be their ‘ally’?
What about it?

Badger40 on April 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Sorry , linky not working on this computer, so lemme ask:
Why was this guy stopped by cops ?

macncheez on April 27, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Amnesty is a dead wrong decision. I support legal immigration but have nothing but contempt for the illegal cheaters that spit at our laws and selfeshly do what they want anyway.

I would support immigration reform if it stomps down hard on those that hire them, and prohibits illegals from ever becoming legal citizens.

I support the people that do it right, and have no sympathy for the cheaters, liars, and document fraud criminals here against our laws.

I don’t care if it takes a line of busses from Washingtomn to San Diego to haul them out.

All the dems want is peasant voters they can herd around like a bunch of sheep, and there is no way that serves America’s interests.

Use mine fields and electric fences on the border for all I care. Cheaters are cheaters, and all the whining about improving their lives tells me they should focus on their own $hithole government instead of trying to corrupt ours any worse.

saiga on April 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Jeb Bush is married to a Mexican national.

bw222 on April 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Rubio should have said, “I have to study the bill to see exactly what is involved.”

bw222 on April 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with recial profiling. Ig a fat black guy robs a bank, focusing on skinny white guys is totally stupid. Wake up.

saiga on April 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Badger, you ask good Qs and the closing the border should be priority #1, so deported folks stay deported. I also am not suggesting that the law be ignored; far from it. But it is wise to fear the abuses that may come from this law, or even before this law.

macncheese, let me quote a bit of the article:

HOENIX – A Valley man says he was pulled over Wednesday morning and questioned when he arrived at a weigh station for his commercial vehicle along Val Vista and the 202 freeway.

Abdon, who did not want to use his last name, says he provided several key pieces of information but what he provided apparently was not what was needed.

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Let me try again.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with racial profiling. If a fat black guy robs a bank, focusing on skinny white guys is totally stupid. Wake up.

saiga on April 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

saiga on April 27, 2010 at 5:29 PM

TN Mom on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

It costs us billions of tax dollars every year. And we, like California, are also running a huge budget deficit. There’s currently a measure on the ballot to enact a “temporary” state-wide sales tax increase (already over 8.5% in my county) to try and increase state revenue. Arizona also has a state income tax, and of course property taxes, most of which are used to fund schools. Although the value of my house has decreased by almost half in the last 5 years, my property taxes have gone up every one of the last 5 years.

We spend a billion dollars every year just providing education in the kindergarten through grade 12 years. I’ve been in some public schools in the Phoenix area and spoken with teachers. Half (or more) of the kids in the classes I observed were Mexicans with limited English skills. Several of these kids asked me to translate documents into Spanish for their parents, who did not speak any English at all. The teachers told me that the majority of the Mexican children they see are very far behind their same-age classmates, which means the schools have to provide them with remedial tutoring (sometimes for years), which of course adds even more expense.

In addition to schooling, Arizona taxpayers are also forced to provide “free” emergency medical care for illegal aliens who show up in emergency rooms. When a van stuffed full of illegals trying to outrun Border Patrol overturns on I-10 and a dozen of them end up being transported to local hospitals with serious injuries, we pay the bill. When pregnant illegals show up to deliver their “anchor babies” (who’ll be American citizens and entitled to all sorts of taxpayer-funded welfare benefits), we pay the bill. When an illegal working off-the-books on a construction project falls off the roof and breaks his back, we pay the bill. And of course, we also pay for the illegals who routinely come to the ER for their flu shots, or for their kid’s scraped knee, or for grandma’s arthritis pain.

But the biggest expense is crime-related. We pay billions every year to investigate, prosecute, and incarcerate illegal alien criminals who prey on Arizona citizens and other illegals too. We’re a relatively small state, in terms of population, yet we lead the nation in crimes like kidnapping, home invasion, carjacking, and identity theft.

AZCoyote on April 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I think any politician is going to have to say something like this. I really do. However, these same politicians can point out that if the border were more secure and if the laws were followed it would not be a huge issue to begin with.

I don’t think it is possible to stop all the illegals..and I don’t have a problem with a guest worker program either..but the Governor of Arizona has asked for assistance from the Feds for some time now. They should have listened.

Krauthammer said that the way the fence was being built actually created a funnel of sorts on the Arizona border, the federal government should have dealt with that.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM

TN Mom on April 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM

But the thing is California has actually gone out of its way to blow off a lot of the federal laws regarding illegals.

Both the states and the federal government have a responsibility here. The feds should secure that border as much as possible, but then again the mayors of San Francisco and LA should not be able to tell their people to disregard federal immigration laws.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 5:44 PM

BTW, I heard Judge Nepalitano on Fox this morning and he said entering the country illegally is not a crime. I can’t remember exactly what he said it was, but it had something to do with not having proper paper work, it is not a crime in the way that stealing a car is or something like that. That is why deportation is a civil procedure and not a criminal one.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 5:47 PM

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Can’t see the video, but how is this even relevant? You do know that the state law being discussed on this thread has not even gone into effect yet? And this gentleman in the story was driving a commercial truck, and was apparently questioned by federal authorities (he complained about being asked to show his birth certificate in the ICE office in Phoenix). And we don’t know why the feds were suspicious of this guy, but my guess would be they were acting on some sort of tip (perhaps looking for someone with the same or a similar name — identity theft and phony documents are very common in AZ, for all the obvious reasons). In any event, if he believes his rights were violated, he has the same opportunities for redress as any other American citizen.

AZCoyote on April 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM

You are about to hear it first here.

I agree with Rubio

*gasp*

Squid Shark on April 27, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I think he articulated some sensible concerns, though I do support states taking these actions since the Federal government is clearly unwilling to enforce its own laws.

t.ferg on April 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

We don’t need any more crr 6 types in Arizona. Send her to California or New York.

chemman on April 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM

He could speak up for America.

Why can’t he just speak up for America because that’s what is in his heart, if it is?

Why when there is no reason to believe that? Does he believe that police are a bunch of dirty coppers like James Cagney in a movie of MadisonConservative on this blog?

Conscientious politician? A conscientious politician, if that’s not an oxymoron, would speak up for America, not pander.

That’s deft? You have got to be kidding me. Is he trying to play some kind of very confused Solomon? Is Marco Rubio an American or a Mexican? We already have a President who doesn’t seem sure where his loyalties lay – we don’t need another senator with the same disposition.

Maybe Senor Rubio should do a little research and find out what is going on.

Arizona has been invaded. He probably supports “our” being in Afghanistan and Iraq to defend them (from what I am not sure, but that is another matter) but what about Arizona?

Never mind that 70% of all people in Arizona support the new law.

Never mind there is a war right in our back yard, spilling over the fence into our nation, and Washington has done nothing.

Never mind there are kidnappings, murders, violence from the thugs in Mexico moving in to our nation, and Washington did nothing to help Arizona.

Never mind Arizona asked 5 times for help and Washington did nothing.

Yes Marco, Arizona had to do something.

Never mind Marco, that the law is almost word for word the federal legislation. Geeee, I dont’ see you screaming about that though, huh?

Because no one enforces the federal law.

Arizona has taken steps and measures to shore up their borders and push out the illegal individuals.

I personally wish that all states would check IDs. Ask the red headed mom over there with a baby, ask the grandma with the cane over there, ask the italian shop owner, and yes, ask the group of 15 men standing on a corner waiting for day work for cash. . . .ask them all.

Start a sweep – push them out. These people victimize the latino communities, and hold them hostage – threaten to kill families.

Get rid of all the hateful ugly drug cartel related garbage people spilling into this nation. Put the military on that border and shut it down.

There is a war in that nation, and it is spilling into ours. And Washington has done nothing. We’re about to lose control of some of our most southern regions in our nation. . and Washington has done nothing.

Good for Arizona! Go Arizona!

More and more, you’ll see states flexing their muscles with states’ rights, pushing back at an over bloated parasitical Washington who does nothing but suck all our money away. . .and doesn’t do a single thing for our own borders, for our states.

Just unfunded parasitical mandates, no jobs, not getting off our backs, slashing themselves back understanding that they’re the problem.

And they have the nerve to throw stones at Arizona? I think all the states should have the same law – push it into effect – start chasing anyone illegal out of the US. Make it clear, theyr’e not welcome here, get out.

Transform your own nation – get out of ours. We paid a huge price for our freedom. Go home, and pay the same price for your own freedom in your own nation. Stop trying to freeload on the backs of our nation’s battlefields.

Start running the trashy drug cartel mafioso types out of our nation – send them back to their own country.

Get the military down on that border and lock it down tight. The next time the mexican military incurs onto our nation’s land, you blow that tank up. You strafe those soldiers down – you send them a message – don’t do it again.

Stop worrying about “gimme gimme” from the federal government with your hand outs, look at the fact we have a bloody war right over the fence in our backyard, and it’s spilling into our nation.

Get real, and get sober America. Take a cold hard look, because the violence and the horrible death is spilling into our nation while you’re too busy whining about wanting someone else to pay for your health care.

Go live in southern Arizona – and then tell us what you think the nation’s priorities should be.
- No One Important

Maybe he should also acquaint himself with the following and get on Mexico’s ass and not on Arizona’s ass.

How Mexicans treat those who come up across their southern border illegally

So why is it good if Mexico controls immigration and bad if the U.S. does?

So, while demanding rights for Mexicans illegally in U.S. territory, Mexico defends its own territory by detaining illegal aliens from countries poorer than Mexico. Many Mexican officials abuse these illegal aliens.

And yet, you don’t see Central American illegal aliens marching through the streets of Mexico, demanding their “rights.”

You don’t see the governments of Guatemala and Honduras meddling in Mexican internal politics.

Why not?

Because they all know that Mexico wouldn’t tolerate it.

But up north, Uncle Sam tolerates illegal aliens in the streets demanding legalization and constant meddling in U.S. politics by Mexican officials.

No wonder they don’t respect us!

May a thousand fleas from south of the border fly up Senor Marco Rubio’s nose.

These self-centered, all about what they think makes things easy on them, politicians are starting to piss me off.

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Marco Rubio: I have “concerns” about Arizona’s immigration law

Well I have concerns about where Marco Rubio’s loyalties lay as well as concerns about his intelligence level.

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Tucson sector is the busiest border sector in the US. My daughter is a computer geek at one of the sites and says they handle over 2000 illegals a day.

chemman on April 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM

AZCoyote on April 27, 2010 at 5:52 PM

You say the law is not in effect yet. The AZ legislature passed it and the governor signed it. Is there some delaying clause in it, so it does not take effect right away?

Second, this thread is about Rubio’s take on this law, so I think my post is relevant, YMMV.

Third, I said that this incident was reported before the law was signed, by a few days.

Finally, I asked any AZ commenters to debunk this report if they could. Can you? In fact, it sounds like this law may even provide the guy with additional protections from being arrested, though you point out it is not in effect.

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM

MB4:

I think you are being too hard on Rubio. For one thing, as time goes on and he learns more about the law he might well change his mind…for another, all sorts of civil libertarians on both sides of the aisle have concerns about the bill. I support the right of the state of Arizona to protect its citizens and I don’t doubt that they are trying to do just that with this bill..but that does not change the fact that some people are going to question the law even when they agree with its goals. I think Rubio would be the kind of guy who would have supported giving the Governor of Arizona the assistance she asked for. If that had happened, the bill might not have been passed.

The Democrats on the other hand are just completely dishonest. After years of supporting sanctuary cities, now all of a sudden they are all bothered about usurping federal authority.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM

chemman on April 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I will take your word for that, you know more about it than I do.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Of course Jebbie Bush would have a problem with it. His brother and Daddy have done nuuuuuuuthing about the border for 20 years.

Jeb and the whole RINO Bush family are a pox on the GOP house.

Imagine the Maine sisters (Collins and Snowe) being from Texas and you have the Bush family and their real political leanings.

PappyD61 on April 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I think you are being too hard on Rubio.

What I said was nothing to what I could say, if I chose.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Our country doesn’t have time for slow learners right now. Let Senor Rubio go down to Mexico and practice learning down there.

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Marco…….great words (like we thought about W in 2000) but I think Marco is going to be a huge disappointment (and Bush Loyalist).

PappyD61 on April 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Governor Brewer signed an executive order requiring training in how to implement the law properly. Until that training is available the implementation of the law is on hold.

chemman on April 27, 2010 at 6:17 PM

The people of Arizona are saying to the federal government: If you are not going to lead for Arizona and the rest of America, then follow us or get your sorry asses the Hell out of our way!

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Oh for heavens sakes, all he said was that he had concerns, he did not say he wanted to boycott Arizona or something.

At no point has Rubio ever been anything but conservative on issues like immigration, however, these are people who operate at a federal level and they are going to have some concerns about a state doing this..even when they know they are doing it for all the right reasons.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Jeb and the whole RINO Bush family are a pox on the GOP house.

PappyD61 on April 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

20 years?

You know Bush put more people and resources on the border than any president in history? In fact, compared to Ronald Reagan he was downright Buchananite. And in the last 3 years the numbers of illegals crossing the borders has been cut in half, and the number of people leaving has doubled. However, that does not change the fact that there are still millions of people here who should not be here…not to mention the drug war in Mexico spilling over the border.

But if the courts back this law, then I think you will see more and more people in office supporting it. What it does as much as anything is send a message that more needs to be done in terms of enforcement and border security.

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM

GnuBreed,

There is no permanent weigh station at Val Vista and the 202. The Feds set up random checks and I suspect that is what caught this guy. If you follow the link you posted, you’ll see that it was updated the following day.

A representative at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) returned 3TV’s calls after researching the incident and she said this was standard operating procedure.

“The agents needed to verify Abdon was in the country legally and it is not uncommon to ask for someone’s birth certificate. She also said this has nothing to do with the proposed bill or racial profiling.”

The FEDS set up portable/random checkpoints frequently around the state. Commercial truck drivers know they are required to carry specific documents with them while driving. If not, they risk arrest and fines.

Abdon, his wife, nor the reporter stated which documents he failed to provide to ICE.

GrannySunni on April 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Terrye on April 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Oh for heavens sakes, I never said he was calling for a boycott of Arizona. In any case I am not worried about heavens sake, heaven can take care of itself. I am worried about Arizona and America’s sake.

As for his “concerns”, that is just a self-centered, me-me-me, politician who is more concerned about covering his own ass than he is about covering America’s ass. He needs to America-up and man-up, but since he doesn’t appear to have done either by now he probably never will.

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Thanks chemman.

MB4, it is a shame that AZ cannot sue the feds for willful negligence. They have been informed many times that the lack of enforcement was causing direct hardship and damage to the state. But even if they could, it would still be we the people paying for it, as no one in government is ever held personally responsible. See ‘Dodd and financial reform’ as a good example.

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

During the Senate hearing this morning Napolitano said the Arizona law would go into effect 90 days after the close of the legislative session.

When Grahm asked her if the borders were secure she said “that is not a fair question.” Amazing…

GrannySunni on April 27, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Tapdancing is a standard politician’s only means of locomotion.

You have to decide if they are moving in the direction you prefer, and ignore the cheesy hustle.

profitsbeard on April 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The Founding Fathers, Marco Rubio
Would never okay the way you do your cowardly thing
Ding ding ding, ding ding ding
And you’ll get yours eventually, Marco Rubio
Cowering from that Mexican invasion stuff like you do
Boo hoo hoo, boo hoo hoo

Where are you, General Pershing?
Our nation turns its longing eyes to you
What’s that you say, Marco Rubio?
You want to keep Black Jack far away
Hey hey hey, hey hey hey

Coo coo ca-choo, Senor Marco Rubio
Felipe Calderon appreciates you more than you will know
Woo woo woo, woo woo woo
The Mexican Cartels bless you, yes, Senor Marco Rubio
They may send some campaign money to those who cower and their own betray
Hey hey hey, hey hey hey

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I won’t be too hard on Rubio, but everyone’s concerned about two things which seem odd (among other things);

1) The votes of people who can’t legally vote or people who will never vote for you anyway, and

2) Being savaged by the MSM, which are already doing that.

Those aren’t the only things, I’m not saying everyone is shallowly political – just the odd ones.

Also, loving the horror stories this law has caused before it even takes effect.

Merovign on April 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM

What I think funny is all these people having hissy fits over the Arizona law when they appear ignorant of the Federal law. The US Border Patrol rounds up illegals in the desert all the time. Where is the outrage? Why not criticize the Border Patrol and ICE too?

GrannySunni on April 27, 2010 at 6:47 PM

GrannySunni on April 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM

OK, this sounds like the start of a debunk. Next up, maybe you (or anyone) can tell me what documents besides an AZ DL a commercial driver has to carry to prove his identity/citizenship? The ICE representative said this need for presenting a birth certificate is not uncommon. When I go to get a new DL in a new state, I’ve had to present my BC. That is about the only time I’ve ever needed it. Maybe commercial truck drivers have to carry theirs all the time, though that sounds pretty harsh to me.

A linky would be nice too.

GnuBreed on April 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Events like this explain Sarah Palin’s popularity.

What you centrists don’t understand is that the other side is fighting to the death.

When you concede a small point, leftists will use your concession as a blade to slit your throat.

Sarah understands this.

She is not ashamed to taunt Obama about palling around with terrorists.

She knows these freaks have thin skin, and she uses this knowledge well.

Those like Rubio who try to be nuanced and thoughtful are roadkill.

Fact.

jeff_from_mpls on April 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM

GnuBreed,

The driver states in the interview that he had only his commercial driver’s license with him. He had no other ID – his social security card was in his wife’s wallet and she was at work.

AZ DOT requires commerical truck drivers to carry TWO ID’s: Primary ID requires a photo, such as his driver’s license. The Secondary ID can be a school ID, bank card, social security card, birth certificate, etc. By the way, all documents have to be in English.

Actually, there are more requirements, such as an AZ Health card, etc. I don’t know if that applied to his case or not, since I don’t know what kind of truck he was driving.

Here’s the link to the AZ DOT requirements:

ta-dah! Debunked! No racial profiling, just somebody who was caught in a random check without his required ID’s.

GrannySunni on April 27, 2010 at 7:26 PM