Video: Rush was right, say … CNN and Reuters?

posted at 10:12 am on April 26, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Newsbusters highlights this debate from yesterday’s Reliable Sources on CNN, hosted by Howard Kurtz, in which Rush Limbaugh gets some unusual defenders against Bill Clinton. Salon’s Joan Walsh reliably regurgitates Bill Clinton’s slam against Rush and talk radio, but she finds herself rather lonely. Amy Holmes, CNN’s political reporter, and Reuters editor-at-large Chrystia Freeland object to Clinton’s characterization of impassioned political debate as a dog whistle for violence:

Noel Sheppard has the entire transcript, but here are a couple of the highlights:

HOLMES: There are kooks and there are nuts. And I think with Bill Clinton, it reminds us what we don’t like about him, and that was the demagoguery. And I don’t believe that Rush Limbaugh or any right- wing talk radio person is responsible for this any more than an environmentalist is responsible for the Unabomber.

KURTZ: Chrystia Freeland, there’s a certain surreal quality to this argument, because no major act of violence, other than that nut job who flew the plane into the IRS office in Austin, has taken place yet. It’s almost like a preemptive debate.

CHRYSTIA FREELAND, GLOBAL EDITOR-AT-LARGE, REUTERS: Yes, I agree. And I have to say, on this one I’m on Rush Limbaugh’s side as well.

I think that it’s incredibly easy for politicians, for businesspeople to criticize the media. In those Goldman e-mails I was telling you about that I enjoyed so much on Saturday there’s a great line where Lucas van Praag, the Goldman spokesman, is sending an e- mail to his bosses, and he says, “This story will have balance.” And then he puts in brackets, “i.e., something we don’t like.”

I’m not accusing Rush Limbaugh of being guilty of too much balance, but I do think blaming the media is a very weak thing for politicians and businesspeople to do. And I think we in the media should really be pretty, pretty careful before we agree with the criticism.

Obviously, to call — openly call for violence openly is illegal. People shouldn’t be doing that. But to just use heated language, I think you hear that on both sides of the debate. And on the left you’re hearing that a lot directed towards Goldman Sachs right now. …

WALSH: Look, you guys, I went up trying to have a civil debate with Bill O’Reilly almost a year ago, where he told me I personally had blood on my hands. I got thousands, thousands — literally thousands of e- mails from people wishing that my mother had aborted me, that I had aborted my daughter. I have personally experienced the demonization of the right, and I think it’s just of an order of magnitude different.

You can go on comment boards on Salon or “The Huffington Post.” People love to do that. There’s somebody anonymous saying something awful. But the fact is, the right makes a business out of incendiary rhetoric that personally demonizes Democratic lawmakers and pundits. And it doesn’t happen that way on the left.

KURTZ: A brief response from Amy and I need to move on.

HOLMES: I would say that it does happen that way on the left. I read plenty of it about myself, about other people in public life. And unfortunately, when people get to be anonymous they get to say very ugly things.

Perhaps Walsh took an eight-year vacation during the Bush administration, when the Left demonized the President and most of his administration in terms at least as ugly as anything said in the last fifteen months. No one seemed to worry about violence then, even when protests actually resulted in violence, such as at the 2008 Republican convention or at the WTO talks over the years. Clinton himself must have pulled a Rip Van Winkle over that time, too, which all of the national media giving him a platform for this ridiculous meme have passed on mentioning as part of their coverage.

Comments

…’the right makes a business out of incendiary rhetoric’…has she read some of the comments about Sarah Palin? Walsh is living in lala land. I’ve read comments about Bush, Palin, Bachmann, etc that would make anyone wonder if their neighbor might be a serial killer. There are some scary people out there. Both sides have fringe kooks.

Kissmygrits on April 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Bill Clinton is nothing more than a douche bag and a whore, anybody with a tiny bit of common sense knows not to listen to anything he says. But that leave’s out most of the left…

SHARPTOOTH on April 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

It’s about time that the right took the left to task for their continual bashing over what they, the left, have perpetuated. The left rants aobut racism, violent speech, stereotyping et al, et al. They need only look in the mirror to see the epitome of this kind of behvior and this point of view. Let’s take ’em down…and Clinton is as good a place to start as any.

jeanie on April 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM

And it doesn’t happen that way on the left.

BushHitler CheneyVader, hope he dies of a heart attack, hope they choke on a pretzel — are you flippin’ KIDDING me?!

John the Libertarian on April 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I have no doubt there are righties who say some ugly things, but I find this a bit difficult to believe–considering the screeching hysteria by the left about the right’s pro-life position, this sounds like something a lefty would say.

DrMagnolias on April 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Joan Walsh is insane if she thinks the rights rhetoric even comes close to the visceral hatred & ACTUAL violence that liberals participate in.

Rights Rhetoric: Level 2

Lefts Rhetoric: Level 10

portlandon on April 26, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I wonder if Ms. Walsh would like to compare and contrast her emails with those received by Rush? It’s all about her, don’t you know.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I think it’s cute that CNN is trying to regain some credibility.

uknowmorethanme on April 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

First of all what is a “writer” for a blog whose stock is currently selling for 25 cents a share doing on CNN? But that is beside the point.

Joan obviously never read her own employer’s blog comments. If she had, she would have seen plenty of “incendiary rhetoric” directed at Republican lawmakers and pundits. Some of the worst was after Tony Snow was diagnosed with colon cancer.

Del Dolemonte on April 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Ms. Walsh accused O’Reilly of being complicit in the murder of Dr. Tiller.

The “more sinned against than sinner” line won’t, er, wash.

SteveMG on April 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM

portlandon on April 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

That was lovely wasn’t it? I guess that the person carrying that sign failed to coordinate with the lady carrying the “hate free zone” sign.

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

We have had the president, the attorney general, the department of homeland security and the MSM level charges of everything from A to Z at us and they have the gall to accuse the right of inciting violence. These fools like Joan Walsh have perfected the strategy of accusing your opponent of that which they are guilty of.

fourdeucer on April 26, 2010 at 10:30 AM

How will the future rioting about amnesty by illegal aliens and their troops be put at the feet of the Tea Party and talk radio?

jukin on April 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

It doesn’t help that there are lefty sites (namely LGF) whose sole purpose anymore is to demonize the right by cherry picking the comments and hateful protest signs of a few as representative of all Republicans. Maybe there is money to be made by doing that.

I agree that being anonymous will inspire some people to make more outlandish comments than they would if they had to put their real name to them.

scalleywag on April 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

To be fair, Amy Holmes did work for Bill Frist who is an AGW skeptic, so it’s not exactly Anderson Cooper or Rick Sanchez defending Rush here. But on a lighter note, she IS incredibly hot.

sobincorporated on April 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Thanks Rush for not shutting up.They never have a leg to stand on compared to your soundbites and transcripts backing up everything yopu say.

ohiobabe on April 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

When right wingers question the tactics and motivation of the President and other Liberals it’s ca;;ed “hateful rhetoric”.

When Liberals call Conservatives everything except children of God, it’s called “open and honest debate”.

kingsjester on April 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

ca;;ed=called

kingsjester on April 26, 2010 at 10:32 AM

What is so frustrating about this issue is whatever the Left says never gets dissected or logged in anyone’s memory banks. Whatever the Right says either gets distorted, or forgotten.

Clue to CNN commentators, Rush is almost always right. Hence the firm which keeps a record of his accuracy. I think he is somewhere around 98.9% correct.

freeus on April 26, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I think it’s cute that CNN is trying to regain some credibility.

uknowmorethanme on April 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

+1 It won’t work, but it’s cute.

NebCon on April 26, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I think it’s cute that CNN is trying to regain some credibility.

Ain’t gonna happen.

N. O'Brain on April 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM

In the case of Joan Walsh, “methinks she doth project too much”.

Left Coast Right Mind on April 26, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Oops, meant to say that Holmes herself is an AGW skeptic. The incredibly hot thing is still accurate though.

sobincorporated on April 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Well, thanks to Amy Holmes for mentioning the really awful comments from the left about Tony Snow. I had forgotten about that.

And Joan Walsh – she really lives in a pretend world.

SlaveDog on April 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Obviously, to call — openly call for violence openly is illegal.

Unless you are a Muslim extremist threatening violence over a cartoon picture of Mohammed, peas be upon him & who is a toad.

Or a SEIU thug.

rbj on April 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I think it’s cute that CNN is trying to regain some credibility.

uknowmorethanme on April 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Cute, yes. Actually I’ve noticed a few steps in that direction lately…such as links on their home page to articles that criticize Mr. President. Shocking!

scalleywag on April 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

One show on a Sunday morning saying this really doesn’t balance out the late-afternoon and prime-time CNN shows all last week that were taking Clinton’s statement and treating it like Gospel. And odds are if CNN comes back to the Clinton-Limbaugh issue again, they’re going to act like the Kurtz-Holmes-Freeland dialog never happened, and simply go off sounding just like Walsh in the above clip.

jon1979 on April 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I hope Obama fails…to foment violence by predicting violence.

RBMN on April 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

But the fact is, the right makes a business out of incendiary rhetoric

You mean like these signs?

1. “I hope she chokes”
2. “Shoot me, I’m here to kill Bush”

And don’t even get me started on Olberman and Ed Schultz. I’ve NEVER heard Rush, Glenn Beck, or any right-winger say such incendiary things as those two guys.

Daggett on April 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Didn’t Sarah Palin’s church get attacked by an arsonist?

Strike Twice on April 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM

The Left routinely practice projection as Walsh demonstrates on this panel. They use obvious ad hominem and vitriol to quash the Right and then blame them for reacting to it. Any behavior, no matter how brutal, is justifiable so long as the Left does it. Any behavior, including logical and diplomatic dissent, is de facto violent if it comes from the right. It’s all in the spin.

anXdem on April 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Daggett on April 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

No kidding. Calling tea partiers racist tea baggers isn’t incendiary at all, is it? /s

The Huffpo has a post up with Maher’s ugly rants about “tea baggers”, they’ve had it up for days. Is that not taunting and incendiary?

scalleywag on April 26, 2010 at 10:50 AM

So wait…she dismisses commenters at Slate, HuffPo, DemoUnderground, etc. as just kooks that should be disregarded as representatives of the left…

…but the “thousands of emails” she got that were hateful were all too real, and valid representatives of the right?

Walsh, you’re a hypocritical hack.

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Hate and incendiary rhetoric are used by the left in a continuous attack against those who even hint about disagreeing with them. Of course, accountability for their own actions is beyond their comprehension. Dick Morris nailed Clinton as the one who ordered the attack at Waco that resulted in deaths of women and children. Clinton passing blame to Reno was cowardly and disingenuous. Could his actions be considered “incendiary” if they were what incited McVeigh to bomb in Oklahoma City? Being a liar and a coward with the morals of an alley cat are not the attributes of anyone that has any credibility.

volsense on April 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Eh, Amy Holmes isn’t just a “political reporter”…

ninjapirate on April 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I think it’s cute that CNN is trying to regain some credibility.

I wouldn’t exactly characterize CNN putting up an apocalyptic,virulently biased graphic captioned “Could Right Wing Rants Lead to Violence?” as some sort of new pursuit of ‘balance’.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Didn’t Sarah Palin’s church get attacked by an arsonist?

Yes, and so was the Texas Governor’s Mansion and George Bush’s childhood home, which is a small museum in Midland.

None of these arsonists have been caught, so we can’t be sure of the motives, but just imagine if it had been the NY governor’s mansion and Trinity United Church of Christ that had burned. We’d never hear the end of the wailing about “right-wing violence”.

juliesa on April 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

The hatred and subsequent violence towards Bush was Bush’s fault. Forgetting or denying it ever happened during his presidency is Bush’s fault too.

Liberal Journalism 101.

fogw on April 26, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Your mind gets all warped like Walsh when you live on Unicorn meat. Especially if you like the tail section where all the rainbows are.

kahall on April 26, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Hey Walsh, you ignorant minger, repeat after me……SEIU, ACORN, Ayres, Wright, and Farrakhan, etc, etc, etc…..

csdeven on April 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Would calling these leftist, denial ridden, foul, crawlspace-dwelling vermin “Dirtbaggers” be incendiary?

LarryG on April 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

That is what happens when no one on the right ever stands up. That is how islam gets its way…..bully bully bully, SEIU gets it way, bully bully bully, ACORN, gets it way, bully bully bully…..

The moment big Sis made her accusations there should have been a firestorm.

Senator Cornyn has only been heard when he bashed Rush for Rush’s statement that he wanted O’s policies to fail….Cornyn cried like a baby and called Rush hateful….There is an example of the Right…..wussies and paid off…

Get rid of all of them…

nondhimmie on April 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Gotta love the AP:

Palin raises money for GOP in liberal Oregon town

Associated Press – April 24, 2010 1:15 AM ET

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) – Sarah Palin praised Republicans at a fundraising dinner in a liberal-leaning Oregon town for having the boldness to invite her to speak.

The former governor of Alaska and vice presidential candidate was the headliner in Eugene Friday night for the Lane County Republican Party’s Lincoln Day dinner.

She spoke as about 150 demonstrators gathered peacefully outside the fundraiser.

I wonder if they would have gone out of their way to point out that they were peaceful had they been Tea Partiers instead of Anti-Palin protesters.

Joe Caps on April 26, 2010 at 11:10 AM

portlandon on April 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Cindy Munford on April 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Maybe he was, only it was not with the peace seeking crowd, such as the lady doing her best to provide a safe area from those that hate.

Franklyn on April 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM

How about inflammatory? Just curious. One more and I’m gone:

LarryG on April 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Bill Clinton is a despicable human being. That is all.

rollthedice on April 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM

CNN and company don’t give a crap about the integrity of conservative talk show hosts but are belately concerned about their own press protections which will also come under fire when freedom of the press is challenged by government authorities.

docdave on April 26, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I recall during the 2008 election the left’s double standard: When Obama goofed up on facts, they called it a memory lapse. When McCain had a similar memory lapse, they claimed he was senile and was unfit to be president. This hypocrisy completely discredits their ideological position.

When the left spews an endless stream of hatred and demonizes individuals on the right through their propaganda networks, its ‘situation normal’. When the center-right justifiably criticizes the left for their wrongheaded, dangerous policies, suddenly the accusations of racism get trotted out. If that doesn’t work (to silence their critics), they up the ante-and claim while there’s been some hate from the left, ‘its never become so extreme as it has on the right.’ *facepalm*

Meanwhile the real extremists, the muslims threatening death and destruction, running terrorist training camps and actually carrying out terrorist attacks in the country (and the world) get completely ignored. Nope, its all about equating and tarring the Right with one lone crack-pot named McVeigh from 10 years ago (who it turns out might’ve been affiliated with muslim terrorist groups).

I would’ve loved to see Ann Coulter in this debate, she’d rip Joan Walsh a new one. Of course conservatives aren’t perfect either, but I’ve seen them conduct themselves with far more professionalism, courtesy and tend to stay focused on the issues rather than engaging in personal attacks. The times that I do see their rhetoric get heated up is when they’re defending themselves from attacks from the left or when they’re opposing policies that are detrimental to the country.

Amy and Chrystia handled themselves really well and its good to see some levelheadedness on CNN at least for once, rather than the usual leftist bigmouths bashing conservatives non-stop on the lame-stream media shows.

thinkagain on April 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Not a dog whistle — a canary in the mine.
Given that the guys in power are insisting on continuing the policies which led to the instability in the first place, the pressure cooker is running hot.

Impassioned political debate is essential to the proper functioning of our society — as Bill and Hillary well know. They themselves have ratcheted up the temperature when it suited them, as Mr. Obama is doing now. That there should, in any pluralistic society, be adversaries willing to speak out with equal passion is a given. Nobody at the forefront of debate is advocating violence — other than in the privacy of the voting booth.

Kooks will indeed arise, but that is a necessary consequence of polarization, and in no way disparages the arguments. Why did John Brown happen? Why Bill Ayers? Why Adolf Hitler? [We polarized on slavery and the Vietnam War, and Germany polarized as a result of hyperinflation — all of which (including Germany) can be traced to Democratic Administrations in the United States.]

unclesmrgol on April 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Isn’t Joan Walsh the dudette that was on Morning Joe last week and couldn’t name one single lefty that was as outspoken as Rush? The video is around. If you haven’t seen it and need a laugh, take the time to find it.

Syd B. on April 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM

jukin on April 26, 2010 at 10:31 AM

+100

Of course, they’ll blame it on the AZ immigration legislation, not the rhetoric used by Obama & Co.

hawksruleva on April 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

They’re just looking ahead. You know, forward thinking. They see what’s going on in Arizona, all those peace loving protesters. They can’t say that’s alright and then try to malign talk radio the Tea Party protesters.

NYconservative on April 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Anyone who claims Bush-bashing wasn’t the national pastime for his last term is an outright liar. It was “cool” to Bush-bash and it’s still continuing to this day.

I was on Facebook and saw a group called “Let’s stop blaming Obama for what Bush did”. I was absolutely confounded that someone could turn it around in such a manner. It’s inane and ridiculous.

Walsh showed her biases when she mentioned Salon and Huffington Post.

ButterflyDragon on April 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Joan Walsh is a lying ignoramus.

princetrumpet on April 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM

wow, Rush is closer to meeting his goal of having everybody agreeing with him.

I look forward to seeing him check the temperature in hell today, just to see if its frozen. Either that or he’ll paper over it and say, of course he was right all along.

it’ll be interesting.

ted c on April 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM

LOL! Howie cites his bona fides for on CNN’s own “hot heads”: Glen Beck and Lou Dobbs!

(Let me guess, it was over Dobbs’ illegal immigrant rants)

jeanneb on April 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Corrected:

LOL! Howie cites his bona fides for taking on CNN’s own “hot heads”: Glen Beck and Lou Dobbs!

(Let me guess, it was over Dobbs’ illegal immigrant rants)

jeanneb on April 26, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Obviously, to call — openly call for violence openly is illegal.

That would not be something like Al Sharpton saying he is going to Arizona, promising protests and hate fanned marches for passing Arizonaa law that enforces the laws already on the books, and thus forcing them to play their hand on making all those illegals, voters for their party to over run American voters. One of the characteristics of the left is always accusing those opposed to them of doing what they would do or doing, in hopes of painting them with it first or at least making it look like their opponets are as bad.

Franklyn on April 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Translation: She hasn’t looked at her hands.

unclesmrgol on April 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

What planet does she live on?

clearbluesky on April 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

You know why I don’t watch these shows or Bill O’Reilly anymore? because I font give a rat’s a$$ about any if these people’s opinion…

I used to sit there and know what the Liberal Hater was going to say… They all regurgitate the same talking points. The only thing that changes is their tone and inflection… but really I could care less what the Walshes, the Beckels, Areau (who just figured out, “hey if I bash Palin I get to be on Fox news and CNN all the time!)…and anyone else of the Hatefilled Left has to say…

CCRWM on April 26, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Talk about selective memory! That’s the thing about democrats and their media flunkies. They love to color, distort, and slant stories and facts in their favor but when they’re confronted with the truth it’s some kind of momentous or strange thing. They do the same thing in the entertainment industry – they need their stereotypical racist, tea party type to demonize so if they can’t find a factual case of one, they’ll create a false impression and run with it.

mozalf on April 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM

MadisonConservative on April 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM

It’s not merely dismissal. She’s denying such commenters even exist.

Kensington on April 26, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Why would the left see that as violent?

Ronnie on April 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Convicted perjurer and impeached President Clinton didn’t tell the truth?

Get. Out. Of. Town!

jukin on April 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Two points:

1. Notice that when Walsh is whining about her post-O’Reilly show ill-wishers, and tries to equate them to the examples posited by the other guests (whether murder/suicide perps, or wishing Tony Snow would die of cancer, etc.), the ill-wishers she mentions never:

. Want to kill her / say they’re going to kill her
. Wish that she’d die of some horrible disease
. etc.

The most I can say is that they want Walsh to practice what she preaches — that she should try it out on herself and her family first before recommending it for anyone else. In that sense it’s a kind of poetic justice, or ‘ju-jitsu curse’. I may have this wrong, and I certainly don’t agree 100% with it, because she’s not forcing it on anyone, just saying it should be allowed.

But it’s still a lot different IMHO than the Tony Snow example because Tony never advocated cancer, or gave anyone cancer, wished cancer on anyone, or worked to make it possible for people to get cancer (just to spell it out in all its gory detail…). And the ill-wishers Walsh mentioned did not express a desire to harm her, or a wish for a third person to harm her, “just” for her own family to actually make the choices she was supporting.

2. Howard Kurtz is a brave one, isn’t he? Yes, he’s criticized fellow anchors on CNN too, wouldn’tja know — two of them in fact — get ready for it — Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs! Yeah. And where are they in the CNN line-up again?

RD on April 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Glenn Beck and Lou Dobbs! Yeah. And where are they in the CNN line-up again…

… from both a schedule and ideological perspective?

RD on April 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM

And it doesn’t happen that way on the left.

What world is this idiot in?

Wade on April 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

People simply are out of control with demonizing on both sides.

Frankly, it doesn’t matter which side of politics you’re on.

AnninCA on April 26, 2010 at 2:04 PM

…except he was on the left, not the right.

James on April 26, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Joan is flailing out in the wind.

Sultry Beauty on April 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Bubba isn’t blaming the media, he’s blaming the message.

drunyan8315 on April 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM

“Be careful how you make those statements, gentlemen. The public isn’t buying that. My administration is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”

— Barack Obama

Heywood U. Reedmore on April 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

It’s amazing to me that someone can say “…it doesn’t happen on the left” and be responded to with anything but derision. I don’t think these people are very bright.

jakabok_botch on April 26, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Why would the left see that as violent?

Ronnie on April 26, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Indeed,how can she be sure those weren’t just liberals expressing their support for “choice”?

Kensington on April 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

“…the right makes a business out of incendiary rhetoric that personally demonizes Democratic lawmakers and pundits.”

Ah yes, and I remember clearly all the kind words of sympathy from the left for Tony Snow when he died. This chick is willfully stupid.

Oyster on April 27, 2010 at 8:45 AM