It’s on: Huckabee vs. Rosie O’Donnell on gay parenting

posted at 6:53 pm on April 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

Believe it or not, this is riveting stuff, not because of any rhetorical fireworks but because of the lack thereof. Huckabee seems genuinely cowed. The occasion? His remarks to a New Jersey college paper that he supports the Arkansas law banning gays from adoption. Quote:

He also affirmed support for a law in Arkansas that prohibits same-sex couples from becoming adoptive or foster parents. “I think this is not about trying to create statements for people who want to change the basic fundamental definitions of family,” Huckabee said. “And always we should act in the best interest of the children, not in the seeming interest of the adults.”

“Children are not puppies,” he continued. “This is not a time to see if we can experiment and find out, how does this work?”

One week after he said that, a state judge struck down the law. Why Huck evidently prefers foster care for parentless kids to gay adoption is unclear to me, even after listening to this. He seems conciliatory throughout and is scrupulous about casting no aspersions on gays’ love for their children, in which case … what’s the argument? Ah well. Like I say, riveting stuff. Enjoy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I realize that I will not change the minds of those who demonize homosexuals on this board. I just wish the hand of God touches you in some way to realize what harm you are doing.

SC.Charlie on April 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM

There is no need to demonize homosexuals–they do it to themselves.
(Check out those pics from that San Fransicko street fair for any visual aids.)

As to “harm we’re doing,” God expects us to uphold His moral laws, which is what we’ve been doing.
The real harm to our society is being done by those who attempt to force perverse, unnatural and indecent behavior upon us and our children and try to make us accept it as “normal.”

Jenfidel on April 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Jenfidel on April 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

You’re an ignorant bigot, and hiding behind your silly ass fundamentalism as an excuse for your bigotry makes you a coward as well. Now go crawl back under your rock.

dakine on April 28, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Huckabee should have flashed the photo of Rosie’s little daughter with the ammo belt around her neck. Of course, using children as political pawns is a liberal tactic, and is not solely used by homosexual liberals, but it was pretty alarming that Rosie did this nonetheless:

and Jenfidel is right: You can’t get more shocking than the Folsom Street Fair – featuring almost naked men with their two-year-old twin daughters wearing dog collars. Nice family pictures that will forever be burned in your mind.

PoodleSkirt on April 28, 2010 at 12:59 PM

GAWD, Rosie is looking more butch than ever. *BARF*

infidel4life on April 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM

All I can say is: I will never, under any circumstances, support gay marriage, gay parenting, or gay activities of any kind, no matter what liberals say. And I can say this without hating homosexuals in the least.

BillCarson on April 28, 2010 at 7:10 PM

well since you all are on such high moral ground I suppose your for taking away children from all straights because of the actions of a few? After all every year hundreds of thousands of straights gather in new orleans to drink and show their tits and dicks to each other, obviously showing a complete lack of respect for “god’s plan”, since this happens so often it can only mean that straights are not biologically equipped to handle children and must therefore send them all to the state’s care.. right? cause drawing conclusions based on the acts of a few is logical and you should just do it to everyone

Zekecorlain on April 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM

well since you all are on such high moral ground I suppose your for taking away children from all straights because of the actions of a few? After all every year hundreds of thousands of straights gather in new orleans to drink and flash each other till they end up having sex in their own vomit, obviously showing a complete lack of respect for “god’s plan”, since this happens so often it can only mean that straights are not biologically equipped to handle children and must therefore send them all to the state’s care.. right? cause drawing conclusions based on the acts of a few is logical and you should just do it to everyone

Zekecorlain on April 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

i always love how people magically forget that gays come from straight families, they like to talk like they are some kind of aliens from another land with nothing in common. You know I’d like to raise a kid or two if I can ever find the right guy, and I honestly think I’d make a good dad. However I’m not so sure about the rest of you

Zekecorlain on April 28, 2010 at 7:20 PM

also Huckabee’s son tortured and killed a dog and Huck had to cover it up. Just look it up on Snopes I guess that makes him an unfit parent too

Zekecorlain on April 28, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Well, yes we shouldn’t make moral arguments. Every straight couple is not more virtuous than every gay couple.

However, should we also assume moral equivalence between the “average” gay family and the average straight family? In my middle class worldview, higher rates of drug use, promiscuity, sexual partners combined with shorter lifespans and less average relationship commitment doesn’t provide a promising foundation. But does that make me a Nazi?

Zekecorlain on April 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM

johnboy on April 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM

But does that make me a Nazi?

No, just an ignorant idiot.

dakine on April 29, 2010 at 12:40 AM