Gibbs: The DOJ is still reviewing Arizona’s law but let’s call it “fundamentally unfair” anyway

posted at 5:38 pm on April 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

A nice catch by reader Garrett, who reminds me that this wouldn’t be the first time The One has pronounced judgment on police action before he had all the facts. Skip ahead to 1:25, although if you do, you’ll miss Gibbsy’s surprising admission that Arizona’s law is a byproduct of Congress failing to act at the national level. I get why he’s doing that — if they want action on comprehensive immigration reform this year, they need every bit of pressure they can find — but it’s further evidence for my theory that Arizona’s law was intended, more or less, as a bargaining chip that national Republicans can use to demand stricter border enforcement. Either get serious at the federal level or face the states taking matters into their own hands. Nice to see Gibbs playing ball here.

Meanwhile, in “irresponsible rhetoric floated by unhinged tea-party radicals” news, Democratic Rep. Jared Polis is screeching about nascent Nazism.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gibbs claims that the administration is worried that “each state would have its own immigration.” (Did he leave off the word law in that statement?

Nothing could be further than that idiotic claim. The Azizona law simply parallels and reinforces existing federal law. It also frees local and state law enforcement to assure that federal law is followed. Comprehensive immigration reform is a red herring distraction that attempts to evade the constitutional laws on record.

This issue is not a matter of a law being “fundamentally unfair.” The selective application and enforcement of the law by federal agencies in the border states re illegal trespassers is “fundamentally unjust.” We are a nation of laws, not of men, especially not of men who would grant special status or exemptions on the basis of ethnicity or race or creed.

Why is ObaMao hopping on this issue with both feet and not the full facts at the bidding of special interest groups that flout the law when he mocks the law-abiding, tax-paying TEA partiers who objected to his unconstitutional health insurance boondoggle?

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2010 at 7:03 PM

is that a serious question, or are you being deliberately obtuse? Go google “due process” and/or the 14th Amendment. You may also want to check out the 4th Amendment. The Supremacy Clause is something you should familiarize yourself with as well.

dakine on April 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I love it when liberals pretend to understand or care about the constitution. Makes me warm and tingly. Last I checked, liberals believe in the “living constitution” which means, the constitution means whatever I say it means. For instance, despite what liberals tell me, I haven’t been able to find a mention of abortion in my copy of the constitution. I also haven’t found where congress has the power to order me to buy something simply for the privilege of being alive.

And, due process has nothing to do with an investigatory stop. Instead, the 4th Amendment would control – and investigatory stops such as those being discussed here have long been held to be constitutional.

I would actually prefer a law that stated that hospitals, schools, etc., have to receive evidence of being legally in the U.S. or refuse service and report the individual. That would get around the crying over I.D. requirements and police stops. But, of course, the reality is that liberals don’t really care about any of that. They just don’t want immigration laws enforced in any manner whatsoever.

Monkeytoe on April 26, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Folks,

I don’t know why this is such a big deal. Red, yellow, black, white, blue, or pink with purple polka-dots, the routine is the same when you are pulled over for speeding/busted taillight, etc.

The cop’s computer runs the plate and gets a name.
The cop asks you your name
The cop asks for proof of insurance

So, they pull a guy over, he has no license, no insurance, and the name on the car’s registration is neither the driver, nor anyone one can reasonably suspect is a relative. Now this is probable cause to believe this individual is an illegal, and the AZ cops can act accordingly.

If you have a valid driver’s license to hand to the cops, just like anybody the cops pull over, BAM-you just documented yourself.

Sekhmet on April 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Drudge has a report that San Fran’s city Attorney wants to boycott Arizona. Its time for states wars. I say pack the un-documented democrats and bus them to San Fran. Have a bus near the watering hole and bus them. It’s Noboma/Alinsky tactics to overload them system. It’s time to give them their own medicine.

The people are protesting an abusive Fed and it’s time for the states to stand up.

serendip2b on April 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

In 30 years as a cop in Kalifornia, I hardly ever had problems determining if someone was in the US illegally. Most (especially Hispanics) will tell you right up front that they’re illegal. The ones you have problems with are those who’ve been caught several times and deported or are flat out criminals with multiple deportations. Those just take a little longer, usually a trip to the station and running their prints through CalId.

GarandFan on April 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Americans have fundamental rights regarding their life and property.

Illegals or any other lawbreaker who jeopardizes those rights deserves scrutiny through the law by its enforcers.

onlineanalyst on April 26, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Hey, let’s spend a billion,give or take a couple billion dollars and have a national id card for all citizens and legal immigrants, so we don’t have to inconvenience the illegals. That’s fair.

midlander on April 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Every one of these politicians who oppose this law should be forced to spend a month living in So. Arizona. Bet they would change their tune ASAP.

chewmeister on April 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM

A Nation Without Borders Is Like A Body Without Skin.

Make the Utopian (and Dystopian) Open Border Types defend that prospect.

I’d love to hear if they support the ability of Americans to go into other countries and live there as anti-socially (“freely”) as those whose illegal (“undocumented”) behavior they defend when only the U.S. is being injured, leeched off, defrauded, invaded, deceived.

Somehow, no one in the MSM ever asks the Open Border Claque any serious questions.

Wouldn’t want to expose their suicidal or anarchistic vacuity, I guess.

profitsbeard on April 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM

In other news…

“Mexico drug wars: No end in sight for border violence
Nearly 3,400 people have been killed so far this year”

Maybe if the protesters turned all of their energy to solving this problem, we wouldn’t have such an illegal alien problem…

Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

To Gibbs and Obama, it is unfair that my quality of life has been affected by illegal aliens and that the federal gov’t doesn’t give a rip.

I am no longer able to enjoy many of the areas of the Organ Pipe National Monument because of the illegals and drug traffic. Same with other parks and campgrounds in the state. It’s too damned dangerous to go hiking or camping in some areas. I no longer feel safe and secure in my home due to all the home invasions committed by illegals.

Not only do our tax dollars pay for their education, health care and so forth, but we also have to pay to rescue illegals lost in the desert. And every summer there are news reports of more deaths from lack of water. Some organizations put water stations out there for the illegals but then the illegals count on that and don’t carry enough water themselves. I have heard that there is also an I-Phone app for illegals that show locations of the water stations. Amazing how willing groups are to assist illegals but don’t mind that the rights of taxpayers are getting trampled.

GrannySunni on April 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I don’t know if this statute will withstand judicial scrutiny. I do know, however, that it raises serious constitutional issues. We’ll all find out together once the Supremes inevitably rule on the thing.

dakine on April 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Speaking of “judicial scrutiny”, how come your State’s ultra-Left Supreme Court refuses to let your law enforcement people use the same laws as the majority of other US States let their cops use to bust those dealing drugs, especially ICE?

Del Dolemonte on April 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM

So, let me see if I understand this. It’s unfair for the cops check to see if someone they suspect is here illegaly, yet they can set up roadblocks and checkpoints and ramdomly question me to see if I have been drinking and driving without any probable cause. What am I missing here?

chewmeister on April 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Mexico’s Official “Guide For The Mexican Migrant”

Oh, wait…!

Seven Percent Solution on April 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM

In making the case that the AZ law is unfair to immigrants and excluding the word illegal, leftists are cobbling together nonexistent groups of the semantically aggrieved. Even a racist can see that.
Oliar is positioning himself as president of the one worlders.

ontherocks on April 26, 2010 at 7:49 PM

serendip2b on April 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

They are dancing in the streets of Phoenis knowing they are boycotted by moonbats.

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM

chewmeister on April 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I don’t know Arizona’s road stop check laws, but I think if they can set up roadblocks to catch drunks, they could check several different compliance things while they are at it, as long as they do it equally. Hopefully they find an illegal Swedish alien right away.

Buddahpundit on April 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

midlander on April 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I think we should all have one of those subdermal computer chips like I have on my dogs in case they ever get lost.

Perhaps the technology could become even better by having the police hand-held scanners able to pick up the embedded information far away, kind of like a radar detector.

That way the screamers who do not want to carry “papers” do not have to and the police can somewhat surreptitiously check out possible illegals.

tru2tx on April 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

GarandFan on April 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Do you think that they’ll be doing that in Arizona now?

Oldnuke on April 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Buddahpundit on April 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Last time I drove across country there were quite a few checkpoints.

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Please rethink.

That very scenario takes place on roads and highways across the US everyday involving American citizens. In California unlicensed, uninsured drivers are fined heavily, have their cars impounded for 30 days. Often those cars end up being auctioned off by the tow yard and bought by dealers or private-party buyers.

This has been going on for a years. It’s a money-making machine on the state and business side.

The people who have their cars impounded sometimes come off as illegals, but one can’t be sure. But the vast majority of those people losing their cars are citizens.

Your criteria fail.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

midlander on April 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I hope its a picture ID, that way it can be required to be shown at the poll, in order to vote.

belad on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

tru2tx on April 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Parents of teen-agers would be hauling them to the vet.

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Please rethink.

Your criteria fail.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Un-licensed ,un-insured drivers are victims? Race Card, I’m getting quite worried about you.

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Granny: aren’t you afraid of being labeled RAAACISSSSSSSSSST?

Cybergeezer on April 26, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Nope, not a rascist. I have zero tolerance for anyone breaking the law though and I’m sure my old neighbors and their goon friends could vouch for that. We got their drug house shut down and them sent to prison, no thanks to the local PD, who used us in order to get more gov’t grant money for a gang project they wanted funded.

GrannySunni on April 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

They sound like criminals to me. Maybe they should be in jail thinking about how they are going to get a license and insurance the next time they decide to drive a car. Like every other law abiding CITIZEN.

Sporty1946 on April 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I have no doubt that the Obama regime will lose this particular fight. Particularly so, as I’ve just been reading a story about “protesters” smearing refried beans into swastikas onto our state capitol.

Any of the 30% of Arizonans who were against this, due to buying into their “it’s unfair” mantra, is going to be lost with this kind of idiocy.

JannyMae on April 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Fundamentally unfair:

Police have radios, stun guns, fast cars, computer databases. Unfair.

The US military has the best aircraft, weaponry, surveillance, command and control, training, soldiers, etc. Unfair.

Dallas Cowboys vs any other NFL team. Unfair.

Illegal aliens caught and sent home. Unfair. Yeah..I see it now.

BobMbx on April 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Drudge has a report that San Fran’s city Attorney wants to boycott Arizona.

Probably because he knows many of Arizona’s illegals will soon become California’s illegals, lol.

xblade on April 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I’m glad some to the readers of the various threads on this issue have looked at the Federal law and realized the AZ law is the federal law at the state level. interesting side effect will be how Phoenix handles it, it should put an end to their sanctuary policy. it would be interesting if they put some teeth into it like they do for solicitation of hookers, the seize the cars of the men looking, same with drug dealers, they seize their property.

RonK on April 26, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Drudge has a report that San Fran’s city Attorney wants to boycott Arizona.

xblade on April 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Beautiful chunk of land, California…damn shame whats become of it.

bernzright777 on April 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Whoever fights with monsters, real or imagined, must take care that he does not become a monster in the processes, as when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
- Nietzsche

MB4 on April 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Let us get this straight: Arizona made ILLEGAL aliens ILLEGAL?

carbon_footprint on April 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM

So it’s fundamentally fair when Mexican drug gangs invade the U.S. and shoot our citizens???

But it’s unfair to ask a suspected illegal to prove he has a legal right to be in the U.S.???

I have a better idea: Let’s treat illegal Mexican “immigrants” the same way Mexico treats illegal American “immigrants”…especially when the illegals have guns.

landlines on April 27, 2010 at 2:26 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

…And the problem with this is…..????

So your argument is:

If the police are looking for illegal activity and it is a citizen who is breaking the law the police should ignore it??

And the law should be repealed if the police could arrest a citizen lawbreaker and then ask about his citizenship??
—–
Race Card, you’ve GOT to quit smoking that stuff!!

landlines on April 27, 2010 at 2:38 AM

How Mexicans treat those who come up across their southern border illegally

So why is it good if Mexico controls immigration and bad if the U.S. does?

So, while demanding rights for Mexicans illegally in U.S. territory, Mexico defends its own territory by detaining illegal aliens from countries poorer than Mexico. Many Mexican officials abuse these illegal aliens.

And yet, you don’t see Central American illegal aliens marching through the streets of Mexico, demanding their “rights.”

You don’t see the governments of Guatemala and Honduras meddling in Mexican internal politics.

Why not?

Because they all know that Mexico wouldn’t tolerate it.

But up north, Uncle Sam tolerates illegal aliens in the streets demanding legalization and constant meddling in U.S. politics by Mexican officials.

No wonder they don’t respect us!

May a thousand fleas fly up Obama’s nose.

MB4 on April 27, 2010 at 3:04 AM

“Bargaining chip” ? ? ? W. T.?

How about we need our borders sealed and want to protect the rights of LEGAL Hispanic immigrants!

desertdweller on April 27, 2010 at 4:03 AM

heck, wasn’t there a previous thread here where the mexican government created pamphlets on what you need to know on how to cross the border illegaly

cmsinaz on April 27, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Gibbs went on to state, “There was no need for this law. Arizona is perfectly safe from undocumented workers. Why, I’ll even volunteer to patrol the border, alone, unarmed, by myself, blindfolded, with one arm tied behind my back, just to show you how safe it is!!!!”

olesparkie on April 27, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Gibbs is a dancing bazi boy of the beltway

What a puss

Sonosam on April 27, 2010 at 11:55 AM

katy the mean old lady on April 26, 2010 at 8:08 PM

You missed the point by so far that I doubt you know the meaning of “worry.”

The Race Card on April 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Race Card, you’ve GOT to quit smoking that stuff!!

landlines on April 27, 2010 at 2:38 AM

Look, I don’t determine our rights. I simply respect them.

The Race Card on April 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM