Video: The disturbing story of the Good Samaritan

posted at 5:16 pm on April 25, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

There are two indisputable facts in this story. Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax is a hero — and no one else who crossed his path in his final hour of life was. Tale-Yax intervened to stop a woman from getting mugged, but got stabbed several times in the exchange. He collapses in the street, and several people pass him, including one who pulled out his camera — but not to call 911:

Why did passersby leave a Good Samaritan bleeding to death on a New York sidewalk last week, with one even pausing to snap a photo of the dying man who had been stabbed after thwarting a mugging?

A psychologist believes there could be several reasons why people didn’t offer help Hugo Alfredo Tale-Yax, 31 — whose fate was captured on a grainy surveillance video — perhaps including our culture’s desensitization to violence from so much exposure in movies, video games and music.

“We love violence in this culture,” said the psychologist, Michael Bradley. “We have this kind of 24/7 pounding of violence. We now know that that pounding of violence actually causes brain changes where people start to not distinguish between real violence and cyber violence. We’re actually rewiring our brains to not react to violence and pain the way we should.”

The “we love violence” explanation is nonsense. The violence took place out of sight of everyone but Tale-Yax and his murderer, and the surveillance camera. The other people who passed by didn’t see any violence. They just saw a man passed out on the sidewalk, bleeding, and did nothing about it. Unlike Tale-Yax, who saw someone in danger and took action to help, they just couldn’t be bothered.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Unless you’ve lived in NYC, you won’t understand.

This is not shocking AT ALL. it’s not a matter of indifference, it’s a matter of one’s senses becoming numb to constant bombardment of begging, of drunks who are passed out, insane drug users acting the most bizarre manner etc..etc.

Indifference is a defense mechanism one builds to survive life in the big city; especially one as big as NYC.

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I once observed such behavior on a less tragic scale. One late summer I was attending a county fair and heard a woman shouting if someone can help her. I looked around and saw a lady in a wheelchair stuck in the mud. There was a crowd around her, much closer to her than I was, but nobody was helping her. So I walked over, pushed her wheelchair out of the mud and went on my way.

The only reason why I responded was earlier that summer I received CPR training. Part of the procedure in assessing a situation and responding included telling someone to call 911 before rendering aid. But you do not say to a crowd “Someone call 911!” That’s because a common phenomenon in group behavior is everybody assumes someone else will do it and as a result it doesn’t happen. Instead you have to point to a specific person and tell that person to do it.

So remember, if you need help, don’t just shout to a crowd. Ask a specific person. At worst the person cannot do it and you’ll just have to ask another person, but the odds are better you will get help.

AaronGuzman on April 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Its not the love of the violence, its the abdication of responsibility. With others around it excused passerby’s from any moral duty. Make everyone responsible, and no one is responsible, remember that well.

rob verdi on April 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I’d argue that Jamaica isn’t really New York.

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

After watching that video…

… I am not so opposed to terrorist trials in New York City after all.

Have fun with it!

Seven Percent Solution on April 25, 2010 at 9:43 PM

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I agree 100%. I work downtown in a large city and spend many evenings there as well. I’ve been harassed by beggers and drunks and as a result I avoid eye contact with everybody. There are homeless people sleeping / passed out on sidewalks and there is no way I am going to engage any of them to find out if they are alright.

It’s not shocking at all that these people passed him by, and I would have done the same thing (unless I had a reason to suspect he wasn’t just sleeping)

CityFish on April 25, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Meh…so what?

The girl was on her knees struggling to get up. I didn’t know if she was drunk or what. I never saw the man. She staggered a little when she walked, like she had a few drinks in her.

Caper29 on April 25, 2010 at 8:00 PM

So what?

He’s going to go out, but he’s stopped by his wife because she doesn’t want him to become a dead hero. He woke up after the third scream. He never saw the man. If he never saw the man, why the guilt. Do drunks scream in NYC?

“But that’s not all that’s wrong. There are people over there who saw everything. And there hasn’t been a peep out of them yet. Not a peep.”

That’s the guilt. He knows.

And you with your BFD comment — you know too — you just don’t want to admit it.

unclesmrgol on April 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM

This being NYC, odds are all those people walking by are Obama supporters/voters. That’s the liberal way, it’s not their job to help people, that’s what the government is for.

ray on April 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Oh, btw how did Winston Moseley (her killer) eventually get caught?…

When concerned neighbors of the people of the house he was breaking into, disabled his car and phoned the police…..

Caper29 on April 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

That didn’t save Kitty, did it?

unclesmrgol on April 25, 2010 at 9:53 PM

ray on April 25, 2010 at 9:50 PM

More like Obama worshipers, you cannot walk a block through Jamaica without seeing his smiling face somewhere or other. And you’ve summed it up perfectly. I think you cannot condemn NYC for what happened here, Jamaica is its own world, it is liberalism at its apex.

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I’ll add this: If your first thought, when tragedies like this happen, is “Typical of liberals,” or “I blame liberals” or “It’s because of liberals,” (or conservatives) you have a screw loose. There’s something terribly, terribly wrong with you.

Proud Rino on April 25, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Right. Some of that righteous indignation might have been appropriate too when Glenn Beck et al as blamed for a federal worker’s death in Kentucky.

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Wait, could passerbys tell he was bleeding? I suspect they probably didn’t see blood (it was pooled under him?) and merely thought he was sleeping. I wouldn’t wake a sleeping homeless drunk for fear of being stabbed myself. Most of these guys suffer serious mental disorders, which is why a lot of them are on the street to begin with.

Frankly, I couldn’t follow the video at all. I see the guy run and then suddenly fall down.

I really don’t understand advertising…why would you ever want your company’s video to pop up before surveillance footage of a dead guy lying on the sidewalk?

TheBlueSite on April 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

As I said in an earlier post, this is Sean Bell country. There is a giant mural depicting an angelic Mr. Bell less then half a mile from where this man was stabbed, lawlessness and criminality are celebrated in Jamaica Queens. The mistake this man made in trying to “save” this woman, was in not realizing that there is nothing left to save. It is a lost cause.

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Western Culture has chosen to commit suicide. It’s happening in Abortion Clinics, it’s happening in movies, sports, music and in our schools among the young.

This video is just another example of the slow method of death we’ve chosen.

No wonder the world is being handed to the Muslims without a shot being fired or a sword being raised (Google: Muslim Demograhics, You Tube).

PappyD61 on April 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

That would be called “dead inside”. A spiritual black hole. And they dare to look down on ignorant rubes.

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Unless you’ve lived in NYC, you won’t understand.

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

That might be the saddest thing I’ve ever read. Accurate, but sad.

Advocate For Change on April 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM

To correct some wrong info too, no 911 call until 0723, and there are no suspects currently.

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:17 PM

That’s incorrect. The firemen arrived at 723. What time was the call?

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:19 PM

From the post

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

I never want to get it. Your post simply provides ample reason to never want to live in a place that could possibly render you so without compassion, so devoid of sympathy and bereft of basic human decency and concern for the very life of another person.

Though I am a bit unsure it is simply exposure to the environment.

One need not decide it’s best to leave a man to die; or even to rummage through his belongings for a camera – then take a picture of his body with it in order to live in “the big city”.

It’s not living in a big city, it’s simply deciding your own convenience and comfort is more important than the very life of another human being.

After all, Tale-Yax not only lived in the city but as a homeless person, more than likely exposed to “mean streets” and indifference in New York. He decided to intervene.

Sad either way.

Sadder that so many jump forward to explain and excuse it away rather than say “it’s morally reprehensible behavior regardless of the excuse”. After all, part of the desensitization could be reading psychologists in newspapers excusing such depraved indifference to others’ pain, suffering and possible deaths.

Those experts should think about that next time a similar story occurs. After all – they said in so many words that it’s understandable.

RDuke on April 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM

There were earlier calls, but from people not too bright:

During that time, the police responded to three 911 calls, said Mr. Browne. The first, shortly before 6 a.m., reported a woman screaming; the second, at 7:09, reported a man lying on the street. But both calls gave incorrect addresses.

The third, at 7:21, also reported a man lying in the street. It led to the discovery of the body.

NYT

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM

RDuke on April 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I cannot say this with enough emphasis over and over; Jamaica Queens is not New York City, it is a neighborhood of nearly 300,000 people within NYC. Jamaica is a sh*thole, go to the Seaport, go to the Upper West Side, and Central Park South, you’ll be amazed by the grandeur of this city, Jamaica Queens is not NYC

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM

RDuke on April 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM

That’s the opposite of how it works. One nice thing about NYC panhandlers is that they rarely harrass or work long sales pitches. They don’t need to. Shaking a cup is enough to make hundreds of dollars a day. Some of the “homeless” have apartments.

You don’t do anything about people sleeping on the sidewalk because it’s not unusual. The liberal attitude is to let them do what they choose.

The liberals also dump lots of change and bills in their begging cups.

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:33 PM

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM

That too. I don’t know how much my 10:33 comment applies outside Manhattan.

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Well its like anything else people behave to the level of their surroundings, in Manhattan beggars make money, and are tolerated so they can be less aggressive in their behavior and get what they want, except of course in Harlem or near Housing Authority buildings where even in Manhattan aggressiveness is the norm.

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

thats bullcrap and an excuse to blame ‘violence in the media’ for ‘desensitization’. Americans by and large have lost the sense of shared resposibility for one another as part of a greater whole. I have lived in societies where people are armed and there is war grade violence burned into the public psyche. When something happens, shooting, explosion etc. people go running towards it to see if they can help, not run or look the other way.

The right thing to do is call 911 unless you are armed and/or properly trained.

Reality Check on April 25, 2010 at 10:42 PM

ac1 on April 25, 2010 at 10:40 PM

It’s just not worth it to them to hustle when it all just comes in by being quiet.

Although there are a few that have there stories. There’s the old guy with long silver hair who wants to get back to the Navaho reservation, and has since at least 1994.

There used to be this tiny woman who would shiver, dressed in garbage bags and using another for a pillow. That one had her clothes in it, and she put them back on right there when she was done for the day.

exception on April 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

And you with your BFD comment — you know too — you just don’t want to admit it.

unclesmrgol on April 25, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Again read Chapter 3 of Superfreakonomics. Peace.

Caper29 on April 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Matthew 24:12
And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold.

Daggett on April 25, 2010 at 11:08 PM

As a 4th generation NYer, this clip upsets me. But reading the wholesale trashing of my city and its people in the comments here was pretty bad too. I can say for myself that I would NEVER have walked by a wounded person on the street and done nothing. But I also would not have been walking the streets of Jamaica at 5:30 AM. I believe the time of day is a huge factor here. I can also say given what the population of Jamaica is that the 20+ people who did nothing were not born in NYC. 3rd world peoples react very differently to such things than assimilated Americans do.

muggedbyreality on April 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Gee, I thought that after Obama’s election, and the scary “I Pledge” celebrity-laced video, everyone was going to work together to make this a better world, and this sort of thing wouldn’t happen any more!

Compassion in the era of Obama.
What a pity. My heart weeps for this nation

ToddonCapeCod on April 25, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Unless you’ve lived in NYC, you won’t understand.

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

True. I was with a friend 30 years ago walking past CBGB’s on the Bowery when what looked like a homeless man who was slightly bleeding around the face came up and asked us for money. My friend, having grown up on Long Island and was then-living in rural Upstate New York, was far more willing to stop unhesitatingly for the guy; having grown up over 20 years in New York, my mind is thinking “Is this some sort of scam?” (I had actually had two Jamaican accented guys try to pull the fake-wad-of-cash scam from “The Sting” on me a couple of months earlier just after I had made a withdrawal from a Manhattan bank, so my scam radar was on even higher-than-normal alert).

Odds are the guy had been roughed up by some of the people headed for the club or to McSorley’s over on Seventh Street a short time earlier, but that’s the mindset you get into in New York — until you’re absolutely, positively 100 percent sure you’re not being set-up for some sort of scam/assault/robbery, you don’t reach out. I don’t know if this incident rises to the level of the 1964 Kitty Genovese murder over on Lefferts Boulevard in Queens (Genovese was ignored even though she was reportedly screaming during the attack), but that’s the mindset you fall into due to self-preservation, even when acting like that turns out to be unjustified.

jon1979 on April 25, 2010 at 11:37 PM

muggedbyreality on April 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

True; it’s unfair to judge millions of individual New Yorkers on this one incident. But maybe now you have a tiny taste of what Southerners have put up with for generations.

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

As a Southerner and Texan who lived in NYC for a long time, I’d say this is just about right. And both of those misjudgements are equally misinformed and stupid.

exception on April 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM

1. NYC is a cesspool.
2. This is why folks need to carry and the various governments need to quit making it difficult to do so.
3. Why does “good Samaritan” always come across as snarky?

God bless Mr. Tale-Yax and may he rest in peace.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 26, 2010 at 12:18 AM

muggedbyreality on April 25, 2010 at 11:09 PM

It’s unfair to indict a city and it’s people based on one incident.

It’s a question of averages. If only 1% of a population is unable to feel compassion, you’ll have a lot more of that type in New York than Danville, Illinois.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM

That might be the saddest thing I’ve ever read. Accurate, but sad.

Advocate For Change on April 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Superlatives forever!

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

LOL.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 12:30 AM

All those cellphones and no one would call for help. I’m not a New York basher, but sorry. I can’t imagine that happening in flyover country.

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:31 AM

You guys cannot know what Jamaica Queens is unless you’ve seen it for yourselves hahaha, like the Ghetto Matrix. This is Sean Bell country gentleman, a different breed exists herein.

Which breed is that? How are these people different than criminals, victims and citizens in other parts of the country?

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:37 AM

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

I wonder how different Southern stereotypes might have been had Confederates not been so willing to die for the right to sell, rape, mutilate, brutalize and murder humans for profit.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

You’re silly.

exception on April 26, 2010 at 1:01 AM

I spent most of my life in NYC. I talked to everyone on the streets: the winos, the druggies, the dealers cuz they were my first line of defense against attack, and they were all gratified to have someone look them in the eye and say hello. You make eye contact in NYC, you survive. NYers aren’t bad people. The only place in NY I’ve ever heard of people being killed and nobody responding has been Queens; now, years after the Kitty Genovese murder in Queens comes another murder in Jamaica, Queens. Brooklyn, Manhattan, never heard of this kind of indifference. The Bronx, I paid no attention. Sure, Jamaica’s rough; it didn’t always used to be. What this is is not about the roughness of the neighborhood but about the heartlessness of the people. One man stopped a crime and was stabbed to death. What about the woman whom he helped? Did she stop to help him in turn? She surely had to have known he was stabbed.

SilentWatcher on April 26, 2010 at 1:15 AM

I should start by saying, this is despicable, and sad, and should not have happened that way.

In reading the comments, there’s all sorts of interesting things. I was amused by the fellow who stated maybe now it was a good idea to hold the terror trials here (presumably since that might result in another few thousand civilians being killed in a terrorist attack, nice one … are you a militant Muslim by chance Seven Percent Solution? You want to back up your comment?), and ddrintn person who seems to suffer from some paranoid mental disorder, along with the others who think this is the mark of the decline of the West and America. If I didn’t know any better, it seems like a few folks haven’t read any news for the past two hundred years or just avoided reading the bad stuff.

Every time something happens out in the middle of the country and makes the news I don’t tend to see people whipping out the stereotypes and talking about how they wouldn’t expect any less from those trailer trash cousin-lovin’ banjo playing hicks.

It begins to make me realize that these folks don’t mind spitting venom, even at other conservatives, as long as they live in New York City, or fit neatly into some other niche that’s easy to bash and makes them feel superior about themselves.

As others have mentioned it’s called diffused responsibility. You get enough people in an area and everyone thinks someone else will handle it, as Kitty Genovese found out. It’s terrible, but for every messed up dysfunctional thing someone does to another person, someone does something good.

God Bless Hugo Tale-Yax.

Heralder on April 26, 2010 at 1:23 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

ANOTHER Civil War comment?! Jeez, that’s, like, the 4th one this month. Move to another century, dude. It’s over, south lost, the end.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Far be it from me to ever be the voice of reason but this situation only seems terrible because it is video taped. Please allow me to explain.

What we see in the video is quite common and the reason it happens has nothing to do with NYC or a declining society. It is a function of basic human psychology. Consider a parallel example. A person on the side of the road along a busy highway is unlikely to get help. The answer is simple. Everyone else assumes someone else will do it. When someone breaks down in the middle of nowhere a person is much more likely to get help (provided they don’t look like a lunatic). People are basically good although they are selfish (present company excluded I’m sure). We might want this event to have larger implications and it only seems like it does because it is video taped.

Mormon Doc on April 26, 2010 at 1:27 AM

ddrintn, I meant to put Lockstein, not you, my apologies.

Heralder on April 26, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Blow it out of the orifice of your choosing. I was responding directly to this commment:

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Truly, I appreciate the deflection and denial of race-reality that has become archetypal among conservative-whiners.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:44 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Not everyone is fixated on the Civil War, dude. Just sayin’.

Listen, just because every time you hear “south” or “southerner” doesn’t mean you have to link it back to the Confederacy. It’s getting old, man.

Like I said, the Confederacy lost. Stop resurrecting it for your own pontifical glory.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Oh and chill. This isn’t life or death. It’s a comment-thread.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Read some of my other comments. You’re guilty of stereotyping. Oh wait, that’s a plus in your book. Please continue.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Hi, pot, I’m kettle.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Oh and chill.

I’m picking up a 51 Chevy tomorrow. Chill, naw. Giddy like a preteen shoolgirl, yeah.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM

LOL. At least you have your priorities straight, man.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM

Hi, pot, I’m kettle.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Hi Kettle, cite some truth.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 1:59 AM

not according to the wife

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Well, that’s what marriage counseling is for. Just do 60 “yes dears” and it should be fine.

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Guilty of stereotyping? Aren’t we all? Last perfect human was Jesus Christ.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 2:02 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 2:01 AM

Anyway, dude. I’m tired and heading to bed. Enjoy that 51 Chevy and stay safe.

Rightwingguy on April 26, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Kitty Genovese could not be reached for comment.

GarandFan on April 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Amazingly, her killer can be. That’s liberalism!

Michelle Dubois on April 26, 2010 at 3:50 AM

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Having not been to the party and not read all the comments, this one, strikes me as to the point.

Having lived in that mess in a different life, yeah, been there.

Kini on April 26, 2010 at 4:52 AM

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

John the Libertarian on April 26, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Unless you’ve lived in NYC, you won’t understand.

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Yeah, I’ve lived in DC and done alot of work all over Philly, NYC and Boston, and I must admit, I’ve literally stepped over people laid out on the sidewalk. There are people staggering and laying about all over the place depending on the weather, the time and the neighborhood, and most of them wouldn’t want anybody calling authorities to “help” them.

Having said that, If I saw blood, I’d at the very least call 911.

forest on April 26, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Don’t be a hero unless you’re carrying a Glock or something equivalent. Don’t go to a knife fight with less than a pistol.

fossten on April 26, 2010 at 8:35 AM

I have more then once stupidly put myself at risk to help other people.

I once put out a car engine fire that was across the street from my house. In my mind it was better to put the flame out fast then risk an explosion. And the entire time my wife was yelling at me to not get involved. To not risk myself. I just do not see the logic in that.

I just do not get people anymore.

mechkiller_k on April 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

There was only one witness to this crime that had the most responsibility to get this hero some help- yet SHE vanished like the breeze and didn’t call a single sole into help the man who died to help her.

I’ve walked the streets of Manhattan, all parts, and know seeing a bum laying on the sidewalk is a common occurence. The fact that no one stopped does not surprise me. What we’ve become ACCUSTOMED and desensitized to, as opposed to what the accompanying article proffers in the form of “violence” is actually “sloth”.

The fact that the one person who could have helped, who SHOULD have helped this man chose not to do so disturbs me a GREAT deal more than the latter, casual, passers by who knew nothing of the origins of the incident.

ChipDWood on April 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM

That’s tragic. I would have called 911 for the man.

Urban Infidel on April 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Blue state…nuff said

DougDavis on April 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM

When I read this I thought Kitty Genovese…how long has that been…..as a kid I remember reading it in Readers Digest (?) Life (?) somewhere!!

Larr on April 26, 2010 at 11:09 AM

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I’ve wondered if that was the primary problem here. With the exception of the man who turned him over and saw the blood, did anyone else know this man had been stabbed? Could anyone else see the blood?

It would be one thing if others saw the attack (what happened with the woman? why didn’t she call police?) and knew the man had been stabbed, but I’d assume that most just thought it was a passed out drunk.

Esthier on April 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

To reply to those feeling some of us, perhaps myself included, were unfairly demonizing New Yorkers:

I am not the originator of the “you have to live in NY to understand it” line of thought. There is no reason to fear being set up in a scam if you simply take out a phone and call 911 to say there’s a man possibly injured on the sidewalk following a serious altercation.

As for NY, I love to visit the city often and have a great time when I do. Pay me about three times as much as I make now I’d consider living there – I’d need to make that much to have a similar lifestyle.

My point was more that blaming media, desensitization, fear of being scammed, etc. does not always cut it. Dialing 911 and hitting send will not result in you being fleeced. Taking the time to rifle through his things and taking a picture of him while not bothering to offer or call for help is nearly barbaric.

RDuke on April 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

At least 3 people called 911:

– One before 6,

– another at 7:09, (a few minutes after he waw rolled over),

– another at 7:21.

This whole “no one did anything” story is a lie.

exception on April 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Unless you’ve lived in NYC, you won’t understand.

Until one has lived for years in that environment, you won’t get it.

rickyricardo on April 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Sorry but that is a ‘effing copout.
I happen to live in a big city myself, Houston Texas which is the fourth largest city in the nation, and if the census predictions are correct, poised to be the third in the not too distant future. I can assure you, that this would not have happened here. Sure, you grow a callus on your heart to a certain extent in order to maintain your sanity, but this is simply beyond the pale. I would suggest that NYC has lost whatever shred of humanity it ever had. It truly is a Brave New World in Libtard Land….

Rorschach on April 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I can assure you, that this would not have happened here.

Rorschach on April 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I’ve had to go around many passed out bums in Houston. How do you usually check to see if they might be stabbed? Have you ever woken someone dumped at Greyhound by MHMR? Or do you just call 911 for them all?

There was the person who jumped off a hotel and managed to land on Westheimer during morning rush hour. Someone dragged the body to the side of the rode, and people could keep driving. Too callous?

exception on April 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

This might seem like a screwball comment, but here goes:

Why can’t we institutionalize the indigent/homeless/schizophrenic people?

Might seem a little “radical” and “intolerant” — but then, when someone ended up lying on the pavement in a major city it might attract a little attention at the very least?

Just sayin’.

zenscreamer on April 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I think that it is mostly when people live in confined places like NYC that you will see more examples of this type of behavior.
It may have a little to do w/ liberalism, but I mostly think it’s just such a big coty that there are more people around to show this behavior than you would see in a rual area.
As a rural person, I personally feel violent the moment I enter a crowded place, like Wal-Mart, the crowded Interstate, etc.
I fully believe that violent behavior is more possible in humans when you smash them together in small confined spaces, like in cities.
There will always be evil violent people.
But it’s real easy to disconnect yourself from your fellow man when you do not need them in order to survive.
Here in rural areas, we do depend upon each other in many ways for survival event though we are also very independent.
Out here in rural America (most places) it’s downright dangerous to ignore your neighbor.
You may need them to give you a ride someday on a night when the temperature is -40 below & they are the only one travelling that road at night.
Without them coming by & letting you in, you could freeze to death.

Badger40 on April 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I am saddened that this poor man died this way. But people passed out or sleeping on the streets in New York are a common sight. I live in a nice neighborhood in mid-town Manhattan, and there are two homeless people who live on my block and two more across the street. My husband and I have called the cops a few times on one of them who is clearly mentally ill, but the cops told us they can’t do anything but ask them if they want help. If they refuse help, they are free to camp out on the sidewalk.

As long as this practice continues, it’s a danger to anyone who gets stabbed or has a stroke or heart attack and passes out on the street. Unless they’re dressed in a suit and look like they clearly don’t belong there, most passers-by will probably assume they are one of the many homeless people who live this way. It is not shocking or particularly callous. It is predictable behavior when you see a homeless person sleeping on the street every few blocks.

However, the woman who was attacked or the man who rolled him over should have called the police.

Cara C on April 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Sorry, guys. Unless there is a pool of blood under the guy that the video doesn’t show but would be visible to bypassers, the only person that should have called the cops in this vid was the victim.

Look, it’s N.Y.C. It’s a homeless guy. Laying on the sidewalk. Why would anyone stop for this particular homeless guy over any other homeless guy?

From what the video shows, and video does NOT always tell the whole story, but from what we can see here, there is no reason to chastise the people who walked by this guy.

To them, he was just another bum, passed out on the streets of New York.

RedNewEnglander on April 26, 2010 at 6:08 PM

The “we love violence” explanation is nonsense.

Total agreement, Ed!

Most psychology is plain crap. And most of it ain`t no damn science.

Sherman1864 on April 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM

One of countless reasons I could never live in New York, the seat of finance.

The city makes you soulless, drains vitality and compassion. Walking the sidewalks in a press of human robots with dead eyes and gray skin reminds me of Orwellian predictions.

I see the same numbness even in the writings of the vaunted media. Financial collapse doesn’t surprise me, given the values of Wall Street. They look around New York and think the rest of American thinks as they think, does as they do.

I’m sorry New Yorkers, but your city is sick and you are too sick to fix it.

eaglesdontflock on April 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

You’re right about that. When I visited NYC, and whenever I get to go, I know I have to put up my “gang face” on, or p-off’d” so nobody messes with me. It’s like a shield you have to put up.

I am not surprised about that; I saw a man squirming in pain on the sidewalk of a shopping center, in front of a Chinese restaurant. I was a teenager, and there were like 4 or 5 men looking at him, guess that because he was a drunk and his liver couldn’t take it anymore he was contorting in sheer pain. I was dumbfounded and incredulous at this attitude, and this was before cell phones were invented (?) Anybody could have called from the Chinese restaurant.

This incident brought me back to that day. I cannot remember if/when they called the ambulance, I had to go home; surrounded by stranger men was not good, and I didn’t want to witness any more of that and go back home any more traumatized than I was.

There’s also the matter of “who’s gonna foot the bill for medical expenses” or be involved in legal stuff in court. People won’t go through that stuff. I have the comfort that Mr. PPF would have indeed taken care of this soul, because of hospital experience.

I dunno what happened to that woman, but I hope she comes forward letting the world know that she has a conscience. I won’t watch the vid either.

ProudPalinFan on April 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Slavery has nothing to do with Southern stereotypes.

Holger on April 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 11:38 PM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

For one thing, “Confederates” ceased to exist nearly 150 years ago. For another, is the “welfare queen” stereotype now acceptable to you? I mean, take one portion that’s willing to “overlook” or even participate in something bad or unsavory, and tar the whole lot with it. It’s what stereotypes are all about.

ddrintn on April 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 1:44 AM

Nah, it’s the race-fetishists who are the whiners. Stating reality isn’t “whining”.

ddrintn on April 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM

This is why you need concealed carry-I’d pulled out my Glock and shot the POS in the head. One less dead mugger…

NRA Lifer on April 27, 2010 at 7:23 AM

ddrintn on April 25, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Can’t believe you guys missed this gem from one of our favorite trolls.

Hey dumbass, you ever read the news. I’m from Kentucky, and that guy committed SUICIDE! He was a nice ole’ Southern lib who couldn’t hack it any more, was in debt up to his ass, and decided his insurance would fix it all. What better way to dodge the whole ‘suicide’ clause from his insurance than to fake an execution. Bonus, you get to blame conservatives and drum up some hate! Still waiting for the MSM and certain libs in congress to retract the same insinuations you made. DDRINTH, you sir, are a liar and a moron.

Falconsword on April 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Well my Confederate ancestor from TN was a dirt poor farmer & no one in his family had ever owned slaves at all, including him.
He fought in several battles & never raped or pillaged anywhere.
Raping & pillaging is done by ALL groups of people.
STFU about your racist generalizations.
No one here is saying all blacks like fried chicken & watermelon & are on welfare.
No one here is espousing that all Latinos are illegal aliens who eat Tacos & drink Tequila.
YOU are the real racist here. Having lived amongst various ethnic groups all over the country, I can surmise that the most obvious forms of racism are perpetrated by those same minority ethnic groups you often whine about.

Badger40 on April 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM

So guy helps woman, gets stabbed and dies in the street. Uninvolved passersby don’t call 911 and are the scum of the earth for doing so.

Why on earth didn’t the “damsel in distress” call? Seriously every other person has a reason – homeless guy in the street in a city is not that uncommon – the woman who was there and saw and befitted from this man’s actions should have called, even if no one else did.

darcee on April 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Falconsword on April 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Try reading again.

exception on April 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM

The Race Card on April 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM

& BTW-not all people who owned slaves were cruel to them.
My ancestor from NC who died in KY in 1835 left ALL of his property to his then emancipated slaves (6 of them) when he died.
He had sons he could have left it to, but he left it to his SLAVES that were treated like his FAMILY.
Slavery has been around since mankind’s been around.
It isn’t right & there have always been people against it, but participated in it bcs the law of the land & the society wouldn’t let them do otherwise.
Many ‘Confederates’ loved their slaves like family.
You sir, are full of CRAP.

Badger40 on April 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM