Video: “Remember November”

posted at 9:08 pm on April 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

A dynamite little piece of expressionism from Haley Barbour and the Republican Governors Association, aimed at synthesizing the mood of angry grassroots would-be donors. The message is familiar, but between the HD, the F/X, and the editing, the production values are light years ahead of the usual DNC/RNC crap. If they’re looking to get attention, this’ll help.

I was tipped to this, incidentally, by Time magazine, which is pushing the angle that “Remember November” is a deliberate allusion to anti-government British terrorist Guy Fawkes. Which I guess qualifies this as some sort of “dog whistle” to the neo-McVeigh-ish wingnut base or whatever. Unless I missed something, though, there’s nothing in the vid itself nodding at Fawkes; the one and only supposed reference is the name of the website, and even that’s not quite right. The old rhyme about Fawkes is “remember, remember the fifth of November.” If I had to guess why the RGA chose the name they did, I’d inch out on the limb and conjecture that it’s because it rhymes, much like the phrase “We’ll remember in November” that the boss emeritus floated last week. But then, “it rhymes” is a much duller narrative than the GOP playing on “let’s blow up parliament” sentiment. I’d be interested in hearing Barbour’s thoughts on that. If he is purposely alluding to Fawkes, it’s both unwelcome and very politically stupid. Click the image to watch.

Update: An RGA staffer tells the Daily Caller that the clip was made entirely in-house by younger staff members. Video software these days is an amazing thing, my friends.

o-rn

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Yeah, [the commenters at Time are] really something. One guy’s calling the video racist because it uses Alcee Hastings and Al Sharpton, WHO ARE BLACK!!!(OMG!!1!!)

Kensington on April 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM

That is because anybody who visits TIME is an idiot.

tetriskid on April 23, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Guy Fawkes? I think instead we’re meant to think of the Fantasticks. ;)

Tzetzes on April 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM

The lefite meme on Arizona’s new law is “swastikas” and “it’s un-American”.

Now they have a new attack on the Tea Party.

However, just Remember November.

DO NOT BE DETERRED!

We are dancing on a pivot. November will decide what this country is really made of.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM

MB4 on April 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I’m going to post that on my FB status and I will attribute it to you. That is good work.

Mirimichi on April 24, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Time magazine is for me what the Constitution is to democrats, something with which to wipe my behind.

Dhuka on April 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

O.T.P. ( One Term President ) by WOLVERINES

canopfor on April 23, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Went to their site, got my magnetic sticker in the other day. Looks great on the back, next to the Double T. :D

bikermailman on April 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Allah, please, get a grip and get a life. Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament. WTF does that have to do with the upcoming November elections???? Guess only you (and Time magazine) can answer that qustion.

alwyr on April 23, 2010 at 9:34 PM

We need to know how crazy they get. He reads so we don’t have to.

Alana on April 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I just wanted to revisit this for a moment. It’s not one guy over there. It’s everyone. The entire comment thread is saturated with assertions of racism and domestic terrorism enthusiasm.

Kensington on April 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM

I read them. They are unhinged. Time is unhinged.

There were lots of signs at the tea parties saying, “We’ll Remember in November.”

Because the idiot leftists think we have memories of gnats.

Alana on April 24, 2010 at 1:32 AM

MB4 on April 23, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Mirimichi on April 24, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Abraham Lincoln helped … … a “little”.

MB4 on April 24, 2010 at 1:36 AM

Wait a minute, I thought the meme was Conservatives are ignorant, how do they explain these hillbilly rednecks knowing who Guy Fawkes was?

di butler on April 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Wow. Don’t let the RNC know about this. They’ll screw it up.

Mojave Mark on April 24, 2010 at 1:57 AM

From the original V:
TheLizardKingComesInFriendship

ignatzk on April 24, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Read this moron’s article and help him to be wrong.

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2010 at 2:11 AM

For the record, I support vigorous prosecution of any American attempting to explode the British Parliament.

rogerb on April 23, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Islamophobe!

the_nile on April 24, 2010 at 5:39 AM

That video is a thousand kinds of awesome. It struck me that the Al Sharpton quote is a little out of context…Sharpton said that IF Obama is a socialist THEN American voted for socialism…but hey, he’s a “closet” socialist just like the rest of ‘em, so the shoes DOES fit.

Wear it, Al and the rest. Wear that shoe in November. It’ll be feelin’ real tight by then.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 24, 2010 at 6:52 AM

November?………… Seriously think that there won’t be a “crisis” before then that will be for Obama to save us all?

The only question is what industry/nation will it be?

PappyD61 on April 24, 2010 at 7:01 AM

DNC: This is a veiled reference to Guy Fawkes

Most Americans: Who the heck is Guy Fawkes?

DNC: He’s a British guy that tried to blow up parliament in 1605

Most Americans: Oh.

Kafir on April 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Sedition, I say! Of course when the American right references November they are referencing a 17th century pre-socialism being defined populist! They could not possibly be referencing, oh, the month that marks the longest running period of peaceful transitions of power in the history of the world…

TubbyHubby on April 24, 2010 at 8:36 AM

DNC: He’s a British guy that tried to blow up parliament in 1605

As the old saw over here goes, “the only man ever to enter Parliament with honest intentions,” and variants thereof.

It’s a bit hard to believe most Americans would know much – not to say anything – of Guy Fawkes. Most Britons don’t. If this is an attempt to conflate Tea Party “sedition” with, er, angry activists from a religious minority trying to blow up a prominent government building and military officials… They need to be more specific.

Grunchy Cranola on April 24, 2010 at 9:01 AM

It’s pretty sad when one can’t tell the difference between internet trolls and an increasing number of liberals in real life.

aikidoka on April 24, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I wonder if the tools commenting at the time website complained about the Hillary 1984 ad that Obama’s campaign had back in the day?

Of course not, that would have been truth to power RAWR!

aikidoka on April 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Maybe it is possible that there are dubious references to Guy Fawkes and I am not smart enough to see it.

I am still going to go with the idea that they are trying to get voters motivated about the midterm elections in November. My simple, right-wing mind believes because at the end of the commercial they display the “Remember November” slogan with the V singled out in red and another slogan “Join the count”.

November midterm elections. Joint the count. Vote and be counted. It probably isn’t that simple.

willt73 on April 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

There was a crappy movie a few years ago with Natalie Portman about Guy Fawkes, called V for Vendetta. That red \”V\” in November at the end of the ad reminded me of that movie right away.

Johnson on April 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

What a powerful video. Great job.

Dan Pet on April 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Aw, it’s teh blogs’ fault, and all.

Akzed on April 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Awesomely awesome.

Loved the reference to Castro, and Al Sharpey’s approving connection of Obooba to socialism.

Akzed on April 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM

wow.

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Well done! This has got to get on the air in every state! Buy local cable avails, around all the news networks and the sports networks. Lot’s of air time for minimum costs.

Excellent editing, we want more like this!

Atlanta Media Guy on April 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Don’t hate on “V” For Vendetta movie. Watch it NOW. It will make a TON of sense. I mean she works, for what, a fake CNN channel?

When the “Remember…” quote was made, I thought I was gonna find direct or indirect references to the Vendetta movie, but thank goodness I didn’t see any. I saw that stuff in Puerto Rico, on election time. Arrgghh!!!

ProudPalinFan on April 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The Dems are scared sh&tless! They know they have totally lost America. That’s why they asked Time to run with the Fawkes angle. But a previous commenter is correct, what will the crisis be that “forces” Obama to cancel the midterms?

Call me a paranoid fool, but I was one who thought Obamacare would never pass in the form it was. These folks have got to go! Amnesty, Cap and Tax, SCOTUS, Unending Financial Bailouts, GM using our taxpayer dollars to pay back what they borrowed from the taxpayers.

WE HAVE NO MO MONEY TO GIVE!

Atlanta Media Guy on April 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM

So I guess our Founding Fathers by positing elections in November were giving homage to Guy Fawkes as well? I guess nothing else happened in November but Guy Fawkes’ outrage? I guess Thanksgiving too is nothing but an outrageous linkage to Guy Fawkes’ enterprise? I mean that happened in November and we remember it too. I wonder if these libs did a poll and asked who Guy Fawkes was, what the percentage response would be, by party. I suspect it would be in the low double digits if that. Then you’d have to ask if the intention was to trade on that knowledge and the knowledge is infinitesimal, what populist purpose could be served by such obscurantism. The attribution is so ridiculous, it is just elitist overreach.

eaglewingz08 on April 24, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Schadenfreude on April 24, 2010

In the words of a real number two, “It’s a big effing deal”.

SKYFOX on April 24, 2010 at 11:15 AM

We are all Paulnuts now.

Rae on April 24, 2010 at 11:22 AM

An even better allegory is the old TV Outer Limits episode, “Hundred Days of the Dragon

OMG, I didn’t think anyone remembered that episode since it had no gargoylish aliens. A great commentary on our present situation, right down, if you remember, to the bow.

xkaydet65 on April 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Lets bring the discussion to a place we all can understand.

Would you trust Barack Obama:

1) As a personal finance advisor?

2) As a security guard for your children?

3) To be a hospital administrator?

4) To manage the company you own?

5) To teach in your local public schools?

If not, then why should we trust him to do all of those things at the same time?

Bizarre, isn’t it?

BobMbx on April 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Funny that you mention that AP. If I remember correctly, during the height of the Iraq war the left took up Guy Fawkes message after seeing V for Vendetta.
Lance Murdock on April 23, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Did you notice how the “V” in November is accented in the logo in this video? And it looks kinda like a spear, which is a… weapon? I know, I know, it’s disguised as a check mark on a ballot, but don’t be fooled. It’s a subliminal message of violence I tell ya!

Buy Danish on April 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Well, like others here, I understand “Remember November” as referring to the November election, a sort of electoral rallying cry to begin cleaning our House of the parasites and vermin currently inhabiting it. I seriously doubt one American in a million is going to think of Guy Fawkes upon hearing it. Maybe if we were still subjects of the British monarchy, we would. Otherwise, not so much.

RebeccaH on April 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

This prompted me to make my first donation to a Republican party since John McCain was nominated. Actually I stopped donating when McCain was nominated.

Please, please, please make sure Steele doesn’t blow my few dollars on another trip to Hawaii.

doufree on April 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

It is a good ad, but the debt clock number is off by 2 trillion dollars…

BermanPost on April 24, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Its almost funny how you guys jerk off over a very conventional and not very well made ad. Im just wating for the persiflage from one of the real creative left wing media designers.As always you right wing guys dont have good artists or comedians. The more you try the more pathetic you appear.

iggya on April 24, 2010 at 3:14 PM

AllahPundit

You know, I have a strand of pearls I can send your way so you can join Frum, Brooks and Parker in clutching at them every time a Leftist claims a Conservative or Libertarian is engaging in “dogwhistles” to violence.

Darleen on April 24, 2010 at 3:37 PM

AP

also…. LOOK AT THE LOGO at the end. “11″ then the 2 as “II” on its side.

You know, NOVEMBER 2 as in our election.

Sheesh, you might as well condemn any “Remember November” allusion as advocating violence based on JFK’s assassination ….

Darleen on April 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

iggya on April 24, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Wow. Glad you could spend time telling us that because, you know, we really care…..

Really, really care…..

Rightwingguy on April 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Kafir on April 24, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I had totally forgotten about Guy Fawkes until V for Vendetta came out.

Awesome movie.

Rightwingguy on April 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Slublog on April 23, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Really no better than “Four ore years!” that you heard at the RNC convention for re-electing President Bush.

Slogans are always stupidly simple. Helps people remember them better.

Rightwingguy on April 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Try to remember this coming NO-Vember

Why we are outraged and none of us mellow

Send packing each Member this coming NO-Vember

Each arrogant Senator, lady or fellow

Let us remember this coming NO-Vember

Why we’re not buying what they tried to sell so

Vote to dismember Congress in NO-Vember

Then follow.

Make sure they know. Time that they go. It’s a new show.

Barnestormer on April 24, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I’ll remember in November but should we not prevail, it will not end there. . .
it will become dicey.

scullymj on April 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM

In one word….Awesome!!

This will be a November Mid-Term election for the ages!

Bring it on!

sarahpalinfan99 on April 25, 2010 at 3:21 AM

“Guy Fawkes”? That’s a whistle even the dogs won’t hear.

Hucklebuck on April 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Pfffft. Your brain must hurt from all that thinking AP.

Be careful who the fawkes you’re talking about since Fawkes was also a phoenix that was owned by Albus Dumbledore.

moonsbreath on April 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Awesome video.
Too bad so many winning republicans decided not to challenge dems they could beat.
New York, I’m talking to you,

lonestar1 on April 25, 2010 at 2:12 PM

This one is good too…Rainbows & Unicorns

Let’s play the alinsky rule of ridicule against them and never let up

lukespapa on April 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

If the DNC is reaching for Guy Fawkes, YOU KNOW THEY’RE IN TROUBLE!

Khun Joe on April 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Sorry, but, IMHO, this is incoherent. What IS the MESSAGE? Maybe it’s decipherable to political junkies, but for your average mom and pop sitting home watching the boob-tube, they are just going to go… …huh?

gxpgxp on April 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I liked it.
But some people on here could probably do better.

See now THAT would make a good contest for on here- an open ended contest for general political vids.
The contest about fed regulations and its impact on individuals was ok, but a little narrow in scope, in my humble opinion. Plus I couldn’t get Ann’s rat to participate- something about contract obligations, residuals, royalties, not liking anchovy and pepperoni pizzas and what not.

Anyways, if you’re out there, Ed, Allah, whoever- please consider an open ended video contest. It will be a raging success. I’m starting my vid today, Annie’s Rat or no rat.

justltl on April 26, 2010 at 10:03 AM

OK, so here’s what I’m gonna do.
I’m going to use this photoshop that I made as a frame and try to put some video clips in where the white screen is now.

Frame.

Notice how I cleverly made the POTUS sign. I might change that to TOTUS.

BTW, any of you morons can feel free to use that pic or the idea if any aspiring videographers feel like it. I rarely get around to actually doing what I say I’m going to do anyway, so I would hate it going to waste.

justltl on April 26, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Oops. morons people. It’s a term of endearment that I use on a weightlifting board that I belong to, so don’t be offended.

justltl on April 26, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Wow.
You aren’t kidding.

Count to 10 on April 26, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I changed POTUS to TOTUS and practiced a bit by installing a rare pic of a famous blogger:

AP

justltl on April 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

YOU ARE RIGHT AllahPundit. That is one AWESOME video. I got chills. They need desperately to put up a TV spot just like that and similar. Let them speak in their own words with all the emo-music passion that Leftists love to hear when watching the Olympics! Hit them right between their eyes with their own schtick!!

Sultry Beauty on April 26, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Leni Riefenstahl would be so proud!

Constantine on April 26, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Nice job by the young staffers. Dems certainly deserve a major beatdown at the polls this November.

Christien on April 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM