It’s on: “Everybody Draw Mohammed Day” set for May 20th

posted at 9:50 pm on April 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

Someone at Dan Savage’s blog started it, then Michael Moynihan at Reason picked it up, now I feel obliged to help push it out there. Says Moynihan:

I will be employing my tremendous skill as an illustrator, of course, and expect that my colleagues will do the same. If they refuse, they will be declared weak-kneed, namby-pamby, quisling infidels and will be shamed on this blog (Though such idle threats rarely work these days; perhaps I could threaten them with a painful death, which seems to do the trick). If readers would like to show their solidarity, please email your Mohammad masterpieces to me here: mmoynihan at reason.com. The best ones will be published on Hit & Run, which, along with the concomitant death threat, is reward enough.

Cue the predictable media squealing that “you’ll only antagonize them!” Antagonism, actually, is an idea straight out of the Hirsi Ali playbook: Her point to Anderson Cooper in the clip I posted earlier was that only by sharing the risk of retaliation for blasphemy can the public help protect her, Parker, Stone and other insolent infidels. If each threat produces more blasphemers than it silences, then threats suddenly become counterproductive. Or at least, they do to rational minds. (A flaw in the theory?)

While you mull your contribution, here’s an interview Ben Shapiro did with Comedy Central honcho Doug Herzog last year, in which Herzog seems to say that they probably shouldn’t have censored the depiction of Mohammed in “South Park” a few years ago. Funny how a few new threats can get people to reconsider.

edmd

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Show me the exact passage in the Bible that instructs this.

What I know is that Christians follow the teachings of the Bible, and those don’t begin in the New Testament.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM

We don’t live under the old testament anymore. But, under the laws of the new testament.

Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.
Matt 5:17

In other words he was the perfect unblemished lamb, the perfect sacrifice that fullfilled the law and his shed blood covered all our sins past, present, and future. Now, when he was crucified and just before he died he said “It is finished”. He was referring to the old law. It has been fulfilled and would no longer be in effect. It would be our schoolmaster to learn that God keeps his promises and to understand what he had saved us from but, we would no longer live under it’s laws because the new and perfect had been ushered in, His church. Which was founded on the day of pentacost not long after his death.

Matthew 16:18
“I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I dont think this is the brightest of ideas – not that i am against free speech – but this will bring into focus, two things

A. The extent to which people will defend the idea of censoring cartoons as long as it buys you a fake peace

B.The violent actions threatened by these thugs – are they for real ? They are in a lose-lose situation – if they dont do anything, they look like wimps. If they do react violently, they prove the point as to how violently intolerant certain Muslims are.

I feel bad for those Muslims who are peace-loving and are going to feel hurt by the cartoons – but then again, Christians and Jews and Mormons have all been ridiculed much much worse.

I have to say Ayaan Hirsi Ali is one gutsy woman.

nagee76 on April 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I’m in.

Diane on April 24, 2010 at 9:28 AM

BrideOfRove on April 24, 2010 at 9:13 AM

YEA; A Mooohammed Fish! Excellent.

Cybergeezer on April 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Keep this under your hat; I can see Barracky boy using this exact phrase and plugging in ‘Old Constitution’ and ‘New Constitution’.
And he totally believes he’s here to ‘fulfill’ some prophesy.

Cybergeezer on April 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM

macncheez on April 24, 2010 at 5:06 AM

All is well. :)

OldEnglish on April 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Here’s my drawing of Mohammed with a pig snout:
(:8|

The pig snout is a nice feature, don’t ya think?

Akzed on April 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Great idea. Let’s get warmed up with “Everybody Draw Narutoboy Day!”

Bugler on April 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I’ve rarely used my cartooning to make fun of anyone, but for this event I am so there!

PolitiNOOB on April 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Here is an ascii one to use for places you can’t post images.

▂▃▅▅▅▃▂     ▲◢◤▀◥◣▃ ▍◢◤
   ███▓▓ ▐◣▃▅█▅  ▃▓████
   ▼██▆▇█▅ ▀██▅▓▓▓████
   ▀███■▀   ◥▌▀■▇█■▀
    ███▀▓▓〓▃〓▓▓▀■▀
    ▀■▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓〓▀
        ▀■▓▓〓▀

I think I’ll draw Muhammed fornicating with a pig and wearing a sucicide vest asking how long it is until man love thurday.

jhffmn on April 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

To answer a question on the last page regarding “the exact passage” where the Bible says that the Old Testament laws were fulfilled and do not need to be followed any more:

[quote]When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having [b]canceled the written code[/b], with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he [b]took it away, nailing it to the cross[/b]. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[/quote]

So there you go.

Not that this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but whatever.

lutherjw on April 24, 2010 at 11:46 AM

jhffmn on April 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

dang, thats pretty good.

shooter on April 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Matt 5:17

Matthew 16:18

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM
=================================

Who is “we” Here in the good ol USA we live under the 10 Commandments and that is the Jewish Bible.

georgealbert on April 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I will do my part to uphold and support this new annual tradition. Hopefully, the radicals will take a chill pill and we will all live as one big, happy human family. For years, Christians have had to turn the other cheek when our religous symbols were put on a vulgar display. He have been told to live with it.

As I said, I will gladly support this. Long may it last.

DuctTapeMyBrain on April 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

We=Christians and yes, some of the old law was carried over but not all of it. If you think all of it was when are you going to built your alter and start sacrificing animals or build an ark?

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Sorry, but while we don’t live under the sacrificial laws of the OT, we do stand on the OT. Without it, there’s no Jesus or Christianity. The grace of the NT is found in the OT. God’s khesed is very much present in the OT, so careful what you say.

SilentWatcher on April 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Does this mean ‘Allahpundit’ has to change the moniker to ‘Mushrikunpundit’?

Cybergeezer on April 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

This honestly makes me wish I had a blog, so I could post drawings of Mohammed (nothing any serious, thinking person would find offensive, but certainly something pointed and pithy).

RebeccaH on April 24, 2010 at 12:29 PM

SilentWatcher on April 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM

You’re right, we don’t live under the OT laws. that’s what I’ve been saying. As I said in an earlier post it is a schoolmaster. We learn from it but are not bound to those laws. We live under the NT and the commandments of Christ. We study the old testament to prove Christ and what was done for us.

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM

This is a great idea.

Another one:

Have white boys start calling each other the N word just like black guys do.

BowHuntingTexas on April 24, 2010 at 12:35 PM

…only by sharing the risk of retaliation for blasphemy can the public help protect her, Parker, Stone and other insolent infidels.

Normally I want to show respect for other people’s religions, but not when it threatens my own liberty. As the saying goes, ‘Your freedom to swing your fists stops at the end of my nose.’

Sharing the risk here is the right thing to do.

petefrt on April 24, 2010 at 12:51 PM

This is a fab idea, no question. But the best illustrations of what Mohammed really is lie in any sincere reportage of the insanity that is any Islamic theocracy/republic or sharia-law-driven society. If only the tingle-legged jerkwads at MSLSD and the rest (you know who they are) would climb down off a cocktail stool and do the reporting, they might discover that even one reporter having his head cut off pales in comparison to the black cloud of Mohammed-inspired self-hatred that suppresses entire swaths of earth. Depictions of Mohammed are akin to depictions of little girls being raped, something Mohammed did and something no one really wants to see.

Western_Civ on April 24, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Show me the exact passage in the Bible that instructs this.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:40 AM

First I’d like to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. /s

Here’s a good explanation if you’re so inclined to learn about Christianity, the old covenant with God and the new covenant through Christ.

citrus on April 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM

georgealbert on April 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

The Ten Commandments aren’t part of the old covenant(s). They’re still in effect.

citrus on April 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I think that I am going to have that Muhammad with a bomb picture made into a T-shirt. :) :) :)

If we can have that Muhammad T-shirt become even half as popular as the stupid Che T-shirt, then it will be worth it. :) :) :)

Theophile on April 24, 2010 at 1:32 PM

*~@):~{>

profitsbeard on April 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

jhffmn on April 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Good job on you ASCII Mo!

Should be spread around in defense of our freedom of Expression.

Chessplayer on April 24, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I don’t know why you felt the need to “put this out there”, Allah.

Would you support “Kick A Jew” day?

What about “Slap A Christian” day?

Or are you just into Arab-bashing?

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

*~@):~{>

profitsbeard on April 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Beautiful! I think I’ll add it to my email sig, if you don’t mind my stealing it :-)

MJBrutus on April 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

We were drawing Mohammed before it was cool to draw Mohammed.

Mohammed Brand Condoms

The Power Of The Mohammed Brand

Potfry on April 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

First I’d like to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. /s

citrus on April 24, 2010 at 12:55 PM

I didn’t ask you for an explanation. I asked you to show me a passage from the Bible where it says what you did. But there is no passage in the Bible that says that, so that’s impossible.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM

boomer on April 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

That’s garbage.

At best, that is just your interpretation of it. Like I said earlier, “to get around the fact that the Bible has some batsh1t insane passages, believers have made up the rule stipulating that the Old Testament doesn’t count.” And I just love the phrase “he was referring to,” as if you sat down with the man and spoke to him.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM

The Ten Commandments aren’t part of the old covenant(s).
citrus on April 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Umm, wow. Yes, they are.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Jay Mac on April 24, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Erm. Most Christians I know believe that the men who wrote the Bible were inspired to write it by God. As in God was speaking through them. Of course, that’s bull. The Bible, for the most part, is a book of fiction.

Violence in the Bible is descriptive, that is, it tells a story, or relates a moral.
blatantblue on April 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM

That isn’t true. Many parts of the Bible actually instruct or condone acts of violence against others, i.e. disobedient children, “witches,” etc.

Narutoboy on April 24, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I don’t know why you felt the need to “put this out there”, Allah.

Or are you just into Arab-bashing?

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Sorry to see that you lack the intellectual horsepower to understand the point here. You may be more suited to another blog. I’m sure that if you looked you could find a nice Hello Kitty-themed site that would serve your needs more satisfactorily than Hot Air does.

Mark Steyn explains the point of this whole exercise much better than I could. I encourage you to read his whole column (be warned thought, there are many multi-syllable words in it) but I’ll save you the mental drudgery by giving you the money quote here:

Imperceptibly, incrementally, remorselessly, the Free World is sending the message that it is happy to trade core liberties for the transitory security of a quiet life. That is a dangerous signal to give freedom’s enemies. So the “South Park” episode is an important cultural pushback.

A refusal to submit. That is what this is all about, asshat.

Cicero43 on April 24, 2010 at 2:47 PM

I don’t know why you felt the need to “put this out there”, Allah.

Would you support “Kick A Jew” day?

What about “Slap A Christian” day?

Or are you just into Arab-bashing?

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Right. Because drawing a picture is exactly the same as physical violence.

And you do realize that there’s a difference between being an Arab and a Muslim, right?

Idiot.

Hollowpoint on April 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM

*~@):~{>

byteshredder on April 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM

For some inspiration: http://zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/

opusrex on April 24, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Would you support “Kick A Jew” day?

What about “Slap A Christian” day?

Or are you just into Arab-bashing?

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

That’s precisely the point, if only you had thought it through. Free speech leaves any day of the week open to being Slap a Christian Day or Kick a Jew Day (assuming you meant ‘slap’ and ‘kick’ as verbal euphemisms). The difference is that those adherents have the strength to bascially let it roll off their backs, even if they protest a bit (hardly ever). You might say, those people have real “faith” because words or pictures are mere dust compared to what’s in the heart. Do Muslims have enough faith to let it go when their icons are verbally abused? It seems that many do not.

Islamic extremism NEEDS a Draw Mohammed Day, if only to get past the anal retentive reflexive bellicosity of thinking everyone who says boo about Mohammed needs to be slaughtered.

The “Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never hurt me” Western mentality cannot bow to “Let’s break their bones with sticks and stones because the words hurt us” 12th Century mentality.

Think about it.

Western_Civ on April 24, 2010 at 4:22 PM

This is a great idea. I’m in!

joe_doufu on April 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Oh.. Im so in!

Viper1 on April 24, 2010 at 4:41 PM

What we need are some really offensive Mohammed image t-shirts.

joe_doufu on April 24, 2010 at 4:52 PM

For those who cannot draw:

dms on April 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

You can post whatever you think Mohammed looks like at the It’sAboutFreedom board…we have a thread up and running. Click on my name to go there.

trapeze on April 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Hey Allah, you do realize that posts like these undermine your “beta-male” cred, right? You’re an “alpha-male”, baby, own it!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM

*~@):~{>

profitsbeard on April 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

MJBrutus on April 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Spread that wealth around!

One could say that it is almost divine justice that our familiar infidel keyboards supply all the semiotic doodads needed to effortlessly reproduce Kurt Westergaard’s classic Mobomb cartoon, ~knocked on its ear .

Inshallah?

profitsbeard on April 24, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Oh, David2.0, I hope you know how much good company you’re in. There are millions of Americans who unfortunately engage in the same kind of lack of understanding of the difference between speech and battery. Thank you for being so bold as to type down the position you advocate so we can see that which needs educating.
I know, I know, you have a friend who’s an Arab, or someone at work who’s sitting right next to you and you are red-cheeked and embarrassed that this might somehow insult your friend. Be sure that it’s not.

Anyone who is an American of Arab origin, who happens to be a Muslim, would not be insulted in the least, because he is more than clear on what freedom of speech means, as well as the old adage (think back!) “Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me!”.

He, or she, would surely understand that those who use an ideology to commit violence against someone who mocks that ideology, all the while using the ideology to justify the violence itself, must be some kind of fanatic fruitcake, worthy of disdain, and unable to discern the tenets of freedom and human rights.

Surely you now understand that, right?

winoceros on April 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Here’s a solution we should try.

mixplix on April 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM

I like this one better:

*~0((:^{>

Meremortal on April 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM

The problem with Islam is that it is not truly a religion as we understand religion. Islam thinks everyone must be forced to follow the rules of Islam, not just Islam’s adherents.

Can you imagine if the Pope proclaimed that everyone must confess their sins to a priest, under pain of death for refusal? What if Baptists proclaimed that all liquor store owners will be killed unless they close their stores immediately? Mormons could bomb all Starbucks for serving coffee. The possibilites are endless.

The world should be flooded with images of Mohammed. Those of us who are not Muslim don’t have to follow Islamic rules.

Meremortal on April 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I don’t know why you felt the need to “put this out there”, Allah.

Would you support “Kick A Jew” day?

What about “Slap A Christian” day?

Or are you just into Arab-bashing?

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

David2.0:
==============

Isn’t it odd,how the Liberal Left,just loves to DEMONIZE
and BASH Christianity and Mormons,and yet,they,them,and
those are strangely ever tolerant of Muslims,and Jihadys!

How about Happy Vapourization Day that Iran celebrates about
Big and Little Satan,calling for both countires to be wiped
off the map,why,because the US and Israel can leave a Iran
a smoking,gapeing,crater!!

Judge the Muslims actions and their capabilities,its that si
mple,Iran has said they WILL WIPE OUT THESE COUNTRIES,that
is a THREAT(their actions),they are seeking nuclear weapons
with a third century barbaric mentality(that will be their
CAPABILITIES),they mean what they say!!

So,unless they are not stopped,you will get your wish,of
Jewish,Christian,and every other religion day,however,it
will be at the end of a sharp sword,everyday,all day!!!

And btw,since your sooo Liberally smart,heres the order in
which Muslims would act,

Universites outlawed,all Teachers and Professors would been
eliminated

All MSM(A to Z)eliminated

ALL Government eliminated

All Unions,eliminated

Every religion under the sun eliminated

And,if some are lucky,they would be second citizens,
more or less,slaves to Allah,and remember in the eyes
of the radical “Moderate” Muslim,you would be unworthy,
you would be classified as a non- “True Believer”!!!
========================================================
So,if you really believe Islam can co-exist,with the
world,GOOD LUCK!!

canopfor on April 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Would you support “Kick A Jew” day? No.

What about “Slap A Christian” day? No.

Or are you just into Arab-bashing? No.

David2.0 on April 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Why do you stereotype all Arabs as Muslim? There are Arab Christians and Arabs who practice other religions as well.

I am into the bashing of of people who tell me I have to abide by their religious rules, no matter which religion.

Meremortal on April 24, 2010 at 9:18 PM

“you’ll only antagonize them!

Sounds like something Ron Paul would say,…
clue: brush up on your history,..muslims have been killing and enslaving for hundreds of years,..so “antagonizing” them can come and go w/the wind!

christene on April 24, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Meremortal on April 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM

That’s b/c Islam is not a religion. It’s a political ideaology. Like Communisim, Fascism, Maoism.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on April 24, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Per the book of Galatians, the Law was the schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.

Wherein the Law shows the depravity of man in regards to the Holiness of God, Jesus fulfilled the law. Therefore, if any man be in Christ…he is a new creation.

The problem with the Law, no one could fulfill it…therefore, as Paul said, the min you step back into the law…you are condemned by the law. Should we then sin, God forbid. There are some good “laws” that deal with our health and living and yes, the other poster was correct that w/out the law there is no Christianity however:

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after taht faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. Gal 2:24-25

Per that verse, the schoolmaster points us to Christ whereine we get faith and once “faith” comes…we are no longer bound by that Schoolmaster. Not my words…just read the scripture.

will sass u on April 25, 2010 at 1:16 AM

“Piss Christ” could be renamed “Piss Muhammed”.
The crucifix depicts religion and it’s symbols.
Hot Air needs to start a weekly “Infidelateurism”.

Cybergeezer on April 25, 2010 at 11:52 AM

If some guy drew a picture of Mohammed, and then I PEED on the picture, would I be a hero to Muslims or a target of Muslims?

DrZin on April 25, 2010 at 7:57 PM

The cartoonist molly Norris has backed off from her cartoon declaring that May 20th be a Draw Mohammed Cartoon Day saying that the cartoon was a goof and that the organization Citizens Against Citizens Against Cartoons is non-existent.

She claims the cartoon was a goof poster.

I’m surprised no one else noticed that the cartoon actually spelled out the acronym of the group as “Ca-Ca” (you know; sh!t?)

Good joke but sort of like Santanelli’s Tea Party cry that was taken up as a rallying point and began a movement. Maybe this one will do that too and lead to the suppression of terrorist threats by every two-bit punk with a doily or rag on his head.

BTW doesn’t Comedy Central understand that by censoring the cartoon, they actually ENDANGERED STONE AND PARKER MORE? Whenever anyone gives in to terrorist threats it just encourages any idiot to make them. (It’s why Israel usually doesn’t negotiate with terrorists or kidnappers; it just makes them realize that it pays off to do so.) Never reward bad behavior. Any child psychologist can tell you that.

jcw46 on April 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM

My Allah is going to be a disgusting tick that feeds exclusively on porcine blood

Sonosam on April 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM