Philly Dem to primary opponent: You’re not gay enough for this district

posted at 6:26 pm on April 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

First the Gay Softball World Series, now this. All we need now is a tabloid story about newly straight Lindsey Lohan getting kicked out of a gay bar or something and we’ll have an honest to goodness news meme going.

This is actually a logical end result of the authenticity fetish in identity politics. What happens when you’re different from most of the population but not quite different enough to qualify for full-fledged membership in a politically active minority group?

Veteran Rep. Babette Josephs (D., Phila.) last Thursday accused her primary opponent, Gregg Kravitz, of pretending to be bisexual in order to pander to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender voters, a powerful bloc in the district.

“I outed him as a straight person,” Josephs said during a fund-raiser at the Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant, as some in the audience gasped or laughed, “and now he goes around telling people, quote, ‘I swing both ways.’ That’s quite a respectful way to talk about sexuality. This guy’s a gem.”

Kravitz, 29, said that he is sexually attracted to both men and women and called Josephs’ comments offensive.

“That kind of taunting is going to make it more difficult for closeted members of the LGBT community to be comfortable with themselves,” Kravitz said. “It’s damaging.”

Follow the link for scandalous details about Kravitz showing up to a campaign event with — gasp — a woman on his arm, and a local gay rights advocate heralding the story as a bizarre sign of progress. Which I suppose is true: After centuries of struggle, we’ve reached the point where political demagoguery over a candidate’s sexuality can, under certain circumstances, er, go both ways. Although I have a hunch that Joseph’s brand of demagoguery will remain more politically acceptable than, say, this nasty bit of business against Lindsey Graham.

Exit question: Are we nearing the point where bisexuals need their own closet?

Comments

So will the new word be gayfail or failgay?

The second rolls off the tongue more smoothly, in my opinion.

MadisonConservative on April 22, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Does this make him a G ayer?
Truther.
Birther.

carbon_footprint on April 22, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Liberalism truly is a mental disorder

phreshone on April 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

How does one prove they are gay enough?

Inanemergencydial on April 22, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Can they both lose?

Akzed on April 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

So what about lesbian Nazi hookers abducted by UFOs and forced into weight loss programs?

catmman on April 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Exit question: Are we nearing the point where bisexuals need their own closet?

I thought that was what San Francisco was for.

Guardian on April 22, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Liberalism truly is a mental disorder

phreshone on April 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

you’re not kidding…

cmsinaz on April 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM

That’s my neck of the woods. I could run outside and jump up and down screaming,”I’m GAY!”(I’m straight) and people would say,’so what”. If I ran outside and screamed,”I’m Conservative!” I’d soon attract a crowd.

birdhurd on April 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM

please tell me there is a strong GOP candidate who can whip either one of them in the general election…please!

cmsinaz on April 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Liberalism truly is a mental disorder

phreshone on April 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

And fully covered under Obamacare…

right2bright on April 22, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Hybrids.

portlandon on April 22, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Goatse was unavailable for comment.

pseudonominus on April 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Did 1 movie turn Philly into the East Cost San Fran?

TheBigOldDog on April 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

“I outed him as a straight person,”

Guilty as charged…

Seven Percent Solution on April 22, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Holy crap. Apparently liberalism also completely obliterates your ability to see irony.

ORconservative on April 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

How about we quit telling each other about our sex lives, and instead of removing don’t ask, don’t tell from the military we impose in over all of society.

DFCtomm on April 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

We call it the Gayborhood and it’s quite an accepted term. Friggin’ rainbows EVERYWHERE.

birdhurd on April 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM

If you want some more bisexual fail, go here, here, and here… and she wrote a bunch of articles for the advocate about making a baby with her same sex partner… basically she ended up falling in love with her sperm donor, who I don’t think she even knew before hand…

ninjapirate on April 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Blech.

I’d rather read about [insert most disgusting topic you can think of] than the latest political pandering of perverts.

Splashman on April 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Exit question: Are we nearing the point where bisexuals need their own closet?

They already have their own candy bar…half Almond Joy, half Mounds. Because sometimes you feel like a nut…sometimes you don’t!

JetBoy on April 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM

The hostile gays that populate Provincetown call straight people “breeders.”

A new intolerance visits Provincetown
Police say gays accused of slurs

Town leaders here are holding a public meeting today to air concerns about slurs and bigoted behavior. And this time, they say, it’s gay people who are displaying intolerance.

Police say they logged numerous complaints of straight people being called “breeders” by gays over the July Fourth holiday weekend. Jamaican workers reported being the target of racial slurs. And a woman was verbally accosted after signing a petition that opposed same-sex marriage, they said….

More at the link

TheBigOldDog on April 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM

i thought just the title would suffice for this post./

ted c on April 22, 2010 at 6:50 PM

The underlying problem is gerrymandering. It causes politicians to pander to monolithic voter blocks. More diversity within districts would produce less “identity politics”.

dedalus on April 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I do not care what folks do in their private lives. Every LGBT person that I know personally is trying to hammer out a well rounded, monogamous relationship. The Lib agenda is more about failing around willy nilly than it is about alt folks rights.

southsideironworks on April 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

he sounds like a teabagger….heh

PatriotRider on April 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

What is it with teh gayz discriminating the Bi’s? I thought it was all about equality or something?

FontanaConservative on April 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

It must be frustrating to be a gay conservative. You must get tired of being identified with this kind of ridiculous, immature behavior.

Saltysam on April 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

southsideironworks on April 22, 2010 at 6:51 PM

heh…ya can’t get around that word choice ;)

JetBoy on April 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I was having a converstation with a lesbian couple and the one partner turned to the other and asked “what are we supposed to think about that” (the topic of the conversation)
People being identified by sexual preferences is as ridiculous as color and look where that has gotten us.
Not gay enough! wow.

ORconservative on April 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

FontanaConservative on April 22, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Tolerance became equality, and finally dominance. You must pluck the heart strings to get the entrench majority to surrender power to the radical minority.

DFCtomm on April 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Saltysam on April 22, 2010 at 6:56 PM

You have no idea. I’ve gotten into some pretty heated arguments whilst out and about. Sometimes its fun tho to meet someone, ya start talking about stuff, I’ll mention I’m a conservative Republican… and *in Kramer with novocaine voice* Let the expletives fly!

JetBoy on April 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Exit question: Are we nearing the point where bisexuals need their own closet?

Their own toilet?

Schadenfreude on April 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM

The Black Sheep Pub & Restaurant

Is there a better place than this for a liberal to out someone as straight, other than its, ah, racially-charged name?

Baaaaa…

Somestimes liberals supply their own punchlines.

Drained Brain on April 22, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Looking forward to the movie & Springsteen song.

BHO Jonestown on April 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

God, I just finally got the hang of writing the old acronym LGBT in proper order without looking it up. What’s it gonna be now: LGT_b?

leilani on April 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Stalin-esque purge.

Rhinoboy on April 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM

To think – both of these bimanaphobes believe that their degree of queerness is an actual qualification. Talk about an entitlement mentality.

NumberTwo on April 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Isn’t someone else in the news upset because someone said they were gay?
Will these liberals make up their mind…is it good or bad to be gay?
Can you sued for being called gay or sued for being called straight.
I don’t know, just let me know which is right.
Like the terms: Negro, Colored, Black, African-American..American Indian, Indigenous, Indian…Irish, drunkard…
I can’t keep up…

right2bright on April 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Oh my, my post is being analyzed, I used words for description that are not proper, except for how I used them.
Let’s see if it passes the sniff test…

right2bright on April 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM

JetBoy on April 22, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Hollywood, and the entire media spectrum, is responsible for so much of it. They sensationalize their own contrived stereotypes and in the process pigeonhole everyone into one dimensional caricatures that become the gold standard for people’s identities.

They do it with every conceivable divisive grouping of people into categories, and the individual gets lost in the process.

The Left and the Media collaborate not by conspiracy, but by the fact that they are so well suited for each other.

Saltysam on April 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Lindsey “We’re Gonna Tell the Bigots to Shut Up” Graham should expect some blow-back from the people he smears.

jaime on April 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM

But my God. The bastard’s half-straight!

Kasper Hauser on April 22, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Stalin-esque purge.

Rhinoboy on April 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Actually, probably close to correct. The “B” in LGBT messes up the agenda.

Connie on April 22, 2010 at 7:47 PM

In the old days, candidates appealed to all voters.

Now, candidates find all voters appealing.

dirc on April 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Sp, just like Hank Johnson, does this say more about her, or the district she’s running in?

PJ Emeritus on April 22, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I’m building a gaydar calibrator. Anyone wanna invest?

Pablo on April 22, 2010 at 11:04 PM

You’re not gay enough for this district

Sounds like an unhappy place… kinda like the Island of Misfit Toys.

ya2daup on April 23, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Philadelphia once again proving itself to be a major league $hithole!

BobAnthony on April 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Someone mentioned Provincetown. I was on vacation a few years back and was driving down the cape and decided to stop at this quaint little town. (Never heard of provincetown before.) We got out and started to walk around and it didn’t take but 2 seconds to notice rainbow stuff everywhere. Walked a couple blocks and got dirty looks and noticed there were guys in drag everywhere. The picture started to get clearer. Went back to the car to take off and realized – worst nightmare – the keys were locked inside. So we got to hang out for 2+ hours waiting to get the car unlocked. Talk about a pretty town with a lot of prejudice in it.

Free Indeed on April 23, 2010 at 9:40 AM

I live in that district and even if there was a strong R candidate, they would be lucky to get 18% of the vote. I can’t tell if we have anyone running this year or not. We are trying to rebuild the party here – I personally guarantee this district will have a greater red turn by November.

PhillyUnion on April 23, 2010 at 3:05 PM