Video: Noted “minstrel show” performer responds to NYT smear merchant

posted at 10:50 am on April 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

You knew it was coming, now here it is. I don’t know what Zo could have said or done to get under Charles Blow’s skin — I’m guessing that the, gasp, lack of formal education might have something to do with it — but he was the only speaker at the Dallas tea party specifically named in the now infamous “minstrel show” hit piece. Come for the nasty racial cracks, stay for the gratuitous reference to prior drug abuse:

They saved the best for last, however: Alfonzo “Zo” Rachel. According to his Web site, Zo, who is black and performs skits as “Zo-bama,” allowed drugs to cost him “his graduation.” Before ripping into the president for unconstitutional behavior, he cautioned, “I don’t have the education that our president has, so if I misinterpret some things in the founding documents I kind of have an excuse.” That was the understatement of the evening.

I found the imagery surreal and a bit sad: the minorities trying desperately to prove that they were “one of the good ones”; the organizers trying desperately to resolve any racial guilt among the crowd. The message was clear: How could we be intolerant if these multicolored faces feel the same way we do?

Nowhere in the piece are Zo’s alleged misinterpretations of the founding documents described, natch. An excellent point raised in the clip by the man himself: Does anyone not think Blow set off on his Dallas adventure thinking/hoping he’d find a bunch of racist signs at the rally, only to fall back on the “minstrel show” narrative when he didn’t? Surely if he’d found any he would have mentioned them as part of his unified field theory of minority conservatives cozying up to people who despise them. The silence on that point is deafening.

Exit question: As righteously angry as he is, wasn’t it nice of Zo not to name a certain president-turned-global-messiah as another person who managed to pull himself together after dabbling with drugs in his youth?

Comments

Zo is the man!

Drummer, too, which rules

blatantblue on April 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

“Blow back.” Heh.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on April 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

No kidding. Zo usually blasts a hanging curveball like that into the third deck. He must have been feeling charitable.

Mr. D on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

No need to point out the obvious.

He could have thrown Obama and Clinton under the former-drug-user bus.

uknowmorethanme on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I am pretty sure that existing is all Zo has to do to offend Mr. Blow.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Thank you Zo! Time to buy a T-shirt.

Vince on April 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Zo needs to place his cue cards on both sides of his camera. He should look on both sides of the camera like Obama, not just keep looking to the right side of the camera.

tommylotto on April 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Great stuff as usual from Zo…..now is it just me or is Zo picking up some of Crowder’s mannerisms?

Patrick S on April 21, 2010 at 10:59 AM

The left still is convinced intellect comes from books…

right2bright on April 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM

You better stop that dude, you’ll either go blind, grow fuzz on your palm or God will kill a kitten or something.

I LOVE ZO!

Dr Evil on April 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM

the minorities trying desperately to prove that they were “one of the good ones

the white liberals, forever infantalizing minorities…

brak on April 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Zo lays it on … Blow back ….

Democrats need to get closer with their real race history, before they start accusing everyone else of being racists. And it’s about time the truth be told.

tarpon on April 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Exit question answer, most of the Right is nicer to The Won then he deserves. Woe be unto him when he goes too far.

Cindy Munford on April 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Just another data point proving that liberals are some of the most bigoted people in the world. They are also more likely to steal and cheat.

jukin on April 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

My fave line: “You had no trouble getting in and it looks like you had no trouble getting out.”

Smackdown! LOL

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Mr. Blow: your table is ready. Mr. Klein is waiting for you at the table on the LEFT. Enjoy your meal.

badtemper on April 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Hey – this is a freakin Minstrel Show performer not the Tea Party – Another Obama Zombie

iam7545 on April 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I wanted to ask him why he didn’t name Obama.

sarainitaly on April 21, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Man, I was hoping Zo would bust out a few bars of Kurtis Blow “These Are The Breaks.”

Barry took you out to the Capitol Hill
He left his wallet, you paid the bill

Christien on April 21, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Snort. I never make comments to NYT articles, but I did that one. This is what tea party protesters are sick and tired of, the arrogance, the snootiness, the condescending tone, people who are “amused” at their frustration with government. It’s disgusting behavior on the part of Mr. President, the former impeached President, and Mr. Blow, the opinionated dolt.

scalleywag on April 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

That.
Was.
Awesome.

Zo can run circles around Blow intellectually.

NebCon on April 21, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I wanted to ask him why he didn’t name Obama.

sarainitaly on April 21, 2010 at 11:10 AM

That would be soooo racist! Oh, wait a minute.

VegasRick on April 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Blow, along with shultz over at msobama,are totally losing it.Stand back and watch them explode with hatred.

ohiobabe on April 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I think Charles Blow may have an excuse; he may have seen the spectators in the wrong order.

michaelo on April 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Charles Blow is a worthless excuse for a human being. That’s me being charitable.

Cylor on April 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I’m not clicking on that link to Pravda, sorry.

darclon on April 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM

mbs on April 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Debate! Blow v. Zo.

Let’s go!

Abby Adams on April 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I asked him if there was any oxygen up there on his high horse or if he needed a tank.

The left keeps babbling on about harsh words turning into violence, too ignorant to realize that their own words are making people angry. They’re like the bratty little kid who kicks sand in your face and then runs and hides behind mommy’s skirt.

scalleywag on April 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Among his many good points, Zo highlights a fundamental Lib/Con schism. Libs want to feel GOOOOOD by *helping* the underprivileged/disadvantaged/”losers”; if’n you *succeed*, you are of NO use.

Conservatives might not look to kindly on “losers” in their actively losing phase; however, they do seem a bit more accepting, indeed, *congratulatory* (esp., e.g., them crazy Christians) of those who see the light… “G-d helps those,” and so forth.

Yeah, I respect Zo, despite his “past.” Why? His ideas! (Not to mention his method of delivery.) Strangely, I do *not* respect the well-credentialed sell-out NYT author (who has nothing to say about his weirdly white employer, not that race matters…).

Go Zo!

Hieronymus on April 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM

its time to recognize the fact that without racial hatred and class envy to incite their base, the existence of liberals would not be relevant. Bigotry is the tool the liberals use to exploit their base to further control those who already depend on supplementing their lives with the spoils taken from the working class. Like the editorial editor for the WSJ said last night, “democrats have used racial hatred for over half a century as the main theme for keeping their base in tact.” Time to quit hiding from that fact.

volsense on April 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Excellent discussion, really, of some of the obvious racial attitudes in the Dem party worldview.

What I liked most was his point about how the Dems both disrespect people while claiming to be their “rescuers.”

I think that attitude is simply so demeaning. I have never understood it.

AnninCA on April 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM

It sounds as if Blow is the one trying to convince white liberals that he is one of the “good ones,” by denigrating other African Americans who don’t follow the “party line.” So if there is a minstrel show in this situation, I believe Blow is the star performer.mbs on April 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

+1000

rockmom on April 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

“Zo is the man! ”
blatantblue

Amen to that.

JimP on April 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I love love LOVE Zo.

I’ve been following his videos for a year and a half now and he always has something funny and insightful to say.

Catch the one where he uses a toilet as a prop … or the one where he’s reading lefty hate mail. Good stuff.

powerpro on April 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

He could have thrown Obama and Clinton under the former-drug-user bus.uknowmorethanme on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

uknownmorethanme,Regarding Obama and Clinton, what do you mean, \”former-drug user?\”(grin)

William2006 on April 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Zo certainly stayed on message — giving back to Blow his own words, suitably seasoned and minced.

What’s even more interesting is that Charles doesn’t appear to have many friends in the far left corner, yet he continues to put on minstrel shows for their benefit. Over at Daily Kos, blacks are viewed as homophobic bigots — Charles included.

unclesmrgol on April 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Well if one party constantly try to smear critics as racists , it’s both sad and tragic.

the_nile on April 21, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Just a superb smackdown by Mr. Rachel.

Well done. Just well done.

victor82 on April 21, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Zo demonstrates a form of mental gymnastics which leaves the left looking like parapalegics!

His intellect is sharp, flexible, powerful, and powerful.

Those who mock him for his level of education do so at their own peril, for it is clear that Zo is immensely intelligent, possesses great power of insight, powerful wit, extreme mastery of words and speech and communication, and is quite likely more intelligent than his detractors.

Regarding his education history, that is a trait which is always open to revision. I wouldn’t put it past Zo to earn a PhD in something impressive. It is already clear that Zo is smarter than many self absorbed leftist intellectual elitists.

William2006 on April 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Haven’t watched the video yet. Zo should ask Blow “Have you ever felt uncomfortable working at the NYT?”

shick on April 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Brilliant!

infidel4life on April 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Zo is incredibly brilliant, I’d stack his credentials up against anyone; and this from a man with four college degrees.

Stephen L. Hall on April 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Good man, Zo!

Gang-of-One on April 21, 2010 at 12:03 PM

mbs on April 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Thread winner.

MNHawk on April 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Poor Charles Blow. It must suck to have spent 16 years toiling away at the same stinky old dinosaurian newspaper, just to have someone so much smarter, funnier, and more attractive swoop out of left field (or in this case, right field) and steal the fame that he foolishly thought he’d earned.

Not a single independent thought in his repertoire. Sad. You can’t blame him for being bitter. Maybe he should go back to graphics design, where he apparently excelled.

Tanya on April 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Zo was at the Sacramento, CA tea party at Capitol Park a while back. PJ Media had a big set up rolling.

He was running around behind the scenes, camera in tow just doing his thing. I talked to him and asked for a pic, and he was very gracious about it. Really nice guy in my experience.

This other clown has no idea what he’s talking about.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Charles Blow???

I thought that was charles ‘Ho!

Sorry. My bad.

JohnGalt23 on April 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Accolades to Zo for cutting Blow a new arsehole.

docdave on April 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Charles Blow has the perfect last name, evah!

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2010 at 12:32 PM

When I see a Headline opinion piece here sourced from the NYT, I never click through to the original article. Thus it was only recently that I discovered that Blow was black. I only knew that his opinions had the same basic viewpoint as all the others with a NYT byline, namely a view of an unlit dark brown tunnel that only a contortionist can reach on their own bodies.

Now knowing the color of Blow’s skin makes not one iota of difference in my opinion of his opinions. Oh, and Zo just kicked you in the head by planting a boot in your butt. Figuratively, of course.

GnuBreed on April 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Charles came to Blow
Picking on Zo
Pretending cerebral
Invoking minstrel
Proving NYT ho

Schadenfreude on April 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I love Zo. I started catching his YouTube rants before the
2008 election. I forwarded them over to a friend of mine here at work who is black. He knows he should vote Republican but refuses to because, to paraphrase him, his friends and family would kill him. Zo didn’t convince him either. I’ll have to keep working on him.

Dan S. on April 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Well if it ever came down to common sense, I’d pick Zo over Blow.

Hmmmmmmmmm……I suppose Blow would then say I’m RACIST!

GarandFan on April 21, 2010 at 12:40 PM

If I were president, i would hve ZO as my press secretary.

saiga on April 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

He could have thrown Obama and Clinton under the former-drug-user bus.
uknowmorethanme on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Come on now, in the spirit of fairness lets not forget that Clinton didn’t inhale!

MAJOR SARC…

Liberty or Death on April 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Zo never ceases to amaze me!

NORBZ1 on April 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

With a formal education, as with many things, the law of diminishing returns eventually kicks in. Especially when education is more focused on ideological conformity than expertise on subject matter.

In many cases, 5 doctorates and 4 bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck’s—but mostly the four bucks. Not pursuing higher education is not necessarily indicative of a poor intellect. One of the stupidest things I think Krugman(?) said recently was that “investment” in higher education would help improve entrepreneurialism in the US.

Funny thing, how many entrepreneurs were college dropouts. All an entrepreneur can learn from “more schoolin’” is how he should theoretically not be able to do what he is plainly doing successfully.

Sekhmet on April 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Charles Blow is no Crispus Attucks. Period. End of Report.

bobnox on April 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Zo is great. We need more of his vids on this site. Entertaining and tells the truth, great combo.

BakerAllie on April 21, 2010 at 12:59 PM

He does more for the cause then half of the guys at the top.

Sultry Beauty on April 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM

The line about reducing a Vietnamese man to a parody of a Benetton ad was hilarious! “How colorful” indeed.

Zo Rocks, chuck blows….

Fighton03 on April 21, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Hmmm, New York Times writer with access to a keyboard…

C’mon, did anybody expect better?

Pinch is The House of Hate and FAIL!!!

But don’t take my word for it.

Just read ONE Times columnist for ONE paragraph.

The New York Times: Hate You Can See With Your Own Two Eyes.

SuperCool on April 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I think that attitude is simply so demeaning. I have never understood it.

AnninCA on April 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I agree AnninCA, while affirmative action programs to assist minorities to get an equal footing with those not in the minority (whites) served a useful purpose after slavery, Jim Crow laws, and segregation were done away with in my opinion affirmative action has run its course and now only serves to hinder true racial equality and is being used as a tool by dems and the liberal left to win elections.

As has been pointed out by Zo in this article and here it is becoming more and more obvious to minorities that they are being used by dems/the left and they (the dems/left) have a vested interest in maintaining a racial wedge between ethnic groups. In simpler terms votes are more important to the dems/left than the welfare of the minorities they supposedly care so much about!

What’s truly sickening and hypocritical about this is the fact the dems/left have through their selfish act of perpetuating a racial divide through affirmative action have not helped minorities but instead have created (over the last 50 plus years) generations of blacks and other minorities to be enslaved to government handouts and assistance instead of lending a helping hand to foster and encourage minorities to improve themselves and achieve self reliance.

With that said…who are the racists…the right or the left? I beleive if one is honest with themselves the answer to that question is obvious!

Liberty or Death on April 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM

No need to point out the obvious.

He could have thrown Obama and Clinton under the former-drug-user bus.

uknowmorethanme on April 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I don’t know, with people like “Minstrel Show” Charles, you simply cannot repeat the facts often enough – they simply don’t stick. In one ear, out the other, completely reprocessed into something usable for the frothing liberal worldview of pure, distilled hate.

KinleyArdal on April 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

What’s up with the herky-jerky, bugged-eyed skit by Zo. Just more coonin’

robertnyc212 on April 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Zo hit a home run …………Charles Blow is just hitting fouls.

SC.Charlie on April 21, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Man, with few exceptions, I really love to watch and listen to Zo. Considerably more than I enjoy anything by Blow.

Say ‘yes’ to Zo!

Say ‘no’ to Blow!

‘Yes’ to Zo!

‘No’ to Blow!

GooooooooOOOOO ZO!

Midas on April 21, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Zo is cool, Blow? No.

Speakup on April 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Blow was disgraceful when Laura Ingraham attempted to interview him Monday morning.

Laura was respectful and persistent. The condescending and evasive Blow did exactly what you would expect a self-described “Intellectual” to do when asked to explain what he wrote.

Shame on the New York Times for thinking Blow an intellectual heavyweight, while firing Bill Kristol, an actual intellectual heavyweight.

Gutless and wrong. That’s what they are.

jeff_from_mpls on April 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM

I was there last week at the Dallas Tea Party. I saw Zo getting ready to speak and about 3 people kept walking out on stage and finally gave up and left. (I had been sick and couldn’t stay much longer.)

It was funny because as Zo got off of the golf cart I saw about 4 different people come up to him and shake his hand. They walked right past Mark Davis and some of the other radio guys that I barely knew of.

I went last year to the TEA party and this year. This year there were about 10 times as many people and I saw a lot of hispanics, blacks, and asians. The funniest shirts I saw were being worn by a hispanic couple holding up a big sign. The shirt said ,”Do i look like a white man?” LOL

jeffn21 on April 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM

What’s up with the herky-jerky, bugged-eyed skit by Zo. Just more coonin’

robertnyc212 on April 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Feel like qualifying this statement, sport? Because unless I’m reading you wrong, it looks like you’ve said something entirely inappropriate.

powerpro on April 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Don’t mess with the Zo!

RobCon on April 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM

More people will see Zo’s response vid than read the fish wrap of record. The Times should pay Zo an advertising fee.

RobCon on April 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Go Zo! Very sharp.

mr.blacksheep on April 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Zo rocks!

Personally I think Zo should be more front and center at Tea Parties, he has the charisma and the presence to carry off a much greater role heading into ’10 & ’12.

Or possibly Fox ought to offer he and Crowder slot something like “Red Eye”, which frankly I’m not too terribly impressed with.

Archimedes on April 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM

robertnyc212 on April 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I really hope you were being sarcastic.

EnochCain on April 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Zo is great.

Here’s a question.
Which group, Republicans/conservatives or Democrats/liberals, want a truly color blind society and for blacks to be very prosperous and independent?

justltl on April 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Love to see Zo deliver what we called in the USAF a “Wall-to-Wall Counseling Session” to Wittle Chuckie.

PJ Emeritus on April 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I wonder if Blow even listens to feedback from non-college grads?

snaggletoothie on April 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I love Zo. I started catching his YouTube rants before the

Dan S. on April 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

I hope your friend figures out what the curtain on the voting booth is for.

Slowburn on April 22, 2010 at 9:41 AM