Jim DeMint: The tea-party movement will inspire a “spiritual renewal”

posted at 3:28 pm on April 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Tea partiers are more religious than the average joe.

tp

Protestants and evangelicals are overrepresented and “nones” are underrepresented, although seven percent is higher than usual for a conservative demographic. I was all ready to be outrageously outraged when I watched the vid, as this makes two days in a row that a tea-party icon has gotten very overtly religious, but he’s not calling for social cons to co-opt the movement’s agenda. Nor is he claiming that TPers want government to push their religious views; he explicitly says that they don’t (although I am surprised to hear him imply that prayer is a more basic undercurrent of the movement than fiscal responsibility). At bottom, he’s making a sociological point that people who have lost faith in one deity will transfer their faith to another. Plenty of atheists would agree with him; even Hitchens, in “God Is Not Great,” ends up accepting religion as an evolutionary fact of life, at least for the time being. People have to believe in something, the theory goes, and if the Hopenchange welfare state turns out to be as big of a debacle as fiscal cons fear, it ain’t going to be government that they believe in. Question for DeMint, though: How does he reconcile that with the fact that most Democrats are religious too? In fact, 37 percent of those who call themselves “highly religious” identify as Dems, and blacks, Hispanics, and Jews break heavily towards the left despite the existence of strong faith communities in each group. He may be right that it’s more or less a zero-sum game in Europe between faith and statism, but in true American fashion, it looks like we’re going to try to have our cake and eat it too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It absolutely is. Where do you think the dietary laws came from?

exception on April 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Not in the Commandments, as you stated. However, it’s in Mosaic Law.

I don’t know enough about keeping Kosher, but I’d love living that way. Well, sort of. I have this major weakness for lobster tails…LOL

With lots of drawn butter.

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Your concession is accepted. You may keep your sword and go home in peace.

MB4 on April 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM

o.0

0.o

o_O

O_o

I’ve got nothin’. o_o I stand in awe.

the only thing I can muster is one massively confused Kirby. (@_@?) Have a good night, sir/madam.

KinleyArdal on April 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Hey Allah…Welcome to Hellllllll!!!

DrAllecon on April 21, 2010 at 6:30 PM

exception on April 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Libs want government to do the job. Like Barb Streisand buying a $4.5 million island while screeching government increase taxes for the ‘homeless’.

Were I that rich, to buy such an island, I’ll forgo the island and get people fed and clothed. And without the media.

Liberals don’t really do much of that.

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM

With lots of drawn butter.

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:27 PM

If Paul had failed in his position about the Law for the gentiles, we would have no lasagna.

exception on April 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM

exception on April 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Well, Paul didn’t. All hail lasagna! LOL

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:35 PM

KinleyArdal on April 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM

How do you know atheists, surly the Devil’s spawn, ever sleep?

MB4 on April 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I’d like to see your definition of evangelical. That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Sorry. Snark-inflection supersedes reality or fairness.

The Race Card on April 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on April 21, 2010 at 5:04 PM
The Race Card on April 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM

“I’m rubber. You’re glue” may be your only option at this point.

The Race Card on April 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM

It absolutely is. Where do you think the dietary laws came from?

exception on April 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

What commandment was that again?

katy the mean old lady on April 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Here’s where I have some major problems with liberals, who don’t believe in God.

Liberals invariably demand government solve the problems libs really don’t want to touch. Libs tend to require a third party make up for them, while they hang on to what God gave them.

Few can tell me very much. I’ve been homeless (as noted liberal crr6 has mocked while she pretends to be ‘caring’). I have slept outside, praying to God it won’t rain.

I have been penniless, and I’ve gone hungry. Big deal. God covered me.

So when I encounter a girl asking for pennies for coffee, and I can give her more, I do it with cheer. Since God has given me, I can open my wallet to give Him back. Liberals don’t do that, for so much a part. They lean on government, rather than opening up by choice what they demand by force of law of the rest of us. Yet, somehow, they still have the nerve to feel good about themselves.

If libs truly gave a hoot about the downtrodden, they’d sell all they have to feed the hungry and clothe the naked, as they claim of and for themselves. Sleeping on a sewer grate, to show ‘solidarity’ like Martin Sheen once faked, doesn’t put a bite of bread into the mouth of a staring girl. Yet, Sheen thought himself so ‘loving’, so ‘wonderful’.

At least I’ve taken a hungry homeless girl for a genuine supper, and paid for it from my own pocket.

Liberals want tax dollars to pay for their conscience, so they can sleep at night.

Hell will come. And one day, facing Heaven, those mistaken people will be told, “I never knew you.”

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM

You would do well not to equate nonbelief in a christian god with ‘liberals’.

ernesto on April 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM

You would do well not to equate nonbelief in a christian god with ‘liberals’.

ernesto on April 21, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Without an everlasting basis, it’s all the same in the end. Even evil men love their own, so nothing there is special. More is needed among men, really.

On what is morality based? If there’s an absolute law, who defines it? Can imperfect Man make that definition?

In Islam, a thief has his hand cut off. In America, the thief goes to jail–at worst. He keeps all his body parts.

If a person doesn’t have solid definition of an absolute law, all else can stem from it. I find liberalism to be an extension.

Liam on April 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM

News update;
The TEA Party Movement is NOT using colon cleanse!

Cybergeezer on April 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Tea Parties are already a spiritual revival.

The spirit of independent America. The spirit of constitutional republicanism.

Edouard on April 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM

You are the latest incarnation of the nihilistic, self-indulgent, blown-by-the-wind amoral people that have populated the world since Cain took a club to his brother’s head. You scream and cry, whine and mope, and consistently grasp for what is not yours, but many of us have learned to put up with most of that, as it is expected by now.

The killing is another matter.

KinleyArdal on April 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Wow. You should be a regular writer in the Green Room if you can write posts as powerful as this comment.

Sarjex on April 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I strongly second this.

neuquenguy on April 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Tea Parties are already a spiritual revival.

The spirit of independent America. The spirit of constitutional republicanism.

Edouard on April 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Exactly. And I think even Allahpundit can have that kind of spirit! I have seen many atheists on Hot Air who seem to be okay with the spirit of 76.

Doctrinally–Christ fulfilled the law of Moses… which was to teach people about him… and replaced it with a new law:

To love oneanother.

How are we doing on that one?

petunia on April 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM

What commandment was that again?

katy the mean old lady on April 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Several of the 613 cover that.

exception on April 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I’m going to steer clear here. I’ll be in trouble faster than you can say…….ok, i won’t say it.

ted c on April 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

yes. They are taking a back seat. Cause they pale in importance is why the social conservative issues are in the back seat.

But this person is a LIAR, this Jim DeMint.

I’ve waded through tons of these Tea Parties and I don’t hear anything about fiscal issues he says.

He just hears about the prayings he says.

You’re a liar, Jim DeMint.

I have your number, liar.

happyfeet on April 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

The Race Card on April 21, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Certainly. There is always the hope you will recognize your tediousness and contribute something of actual interest.

DrMagnolias on April 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

happyfeet on April 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Killing tens of millions of babies in the United States in the last 40 years is an issue that “pales in significance” to other “more pressing” issues?

Hmmm …

Many would disagree.

HondaV65 on April 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Hmmm …

Many would disagree.

HondaV65 on April 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

In effect, sadly, yes. The laws are not going to change significantly, at least as far as banning abortion is concerned.

exception on April 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

exception on April 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

They are not going to change significantly in terms of entitlements or government encroachment either, specially now that Obamacare is law. I believe the issue is one of freedom not “fiscal responsibility”. These goals are often congruent but not always the same. How many “fiscal conservatives” in this and Ace’s forum argued in favor of TARP because they worried about their 401K? Yet Tarp was the beginning of government massive move to limit the freedom of private enterprise and Obamacare the beginning of radical encroachment on personal freedom.
The common issue for fiscal and social conservatives is freedom and for many Christians this freedom is defined and directed by their religious beliefs, and many of us believe that a society that butchers their children can never really be free, because the right to life is paramount, therefore it is foolish to suggest that we put our beliefs in the back burner. Our convictions, formed by our religious beliefs is what animates and energizes us in this fight for liberty.

neuquenguy on April 21, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Deal.

happyfeet on April 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM

happyfeet on April 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Don’t come between happyfeces and child murder, thems contentious grounds…

Inanemergencydial on April 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM

the Tea Party cant adopt every cause and try to be all things to all people. Its emphasis is Fiscal Conservativism, and its perfectly fine that it remains just that.

Just because it isnt carrying the mantle for abortion, does not detract from anyone elses ability to oppose it. Its just not why the Tea Party was formed. The Tea Party seems to be about getting the federal government back into what the founding fathers intended, which is a smaller frugal government than what we have now.

Its also not meant to be an evangelical organization, or something for only Christians, or something arguing for more government involvement in pushing legislating morality.

Actually most fiscal conservatives I know would be happy to see the Federal Government not be pushing anyones social values and just being as small as needed to do its essential roles like defense, and manning the borders.

firepilot on April 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM

neuquenguy on April 21, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Thank you so damn much for this post. Spot. On.

KinleyArdal on April 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM

But I still go to hell, though, right?

Allahpundit on April 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM

My collie says:

Er, we hate to disappoint you and all, but we can not promise you this. There is only One who is worthy of judging both you and the way in which you used the gift of life that you were given — and He is a might busy at the moment, preparing a really nice place for His bride and all. If you’ll just be a bit more patient though, I’m quite confident that He’ll keep all of His promises to you. And since He (our Judge) is perfectly Fair and Just, you can rest easy in the knowledge that you’ll receive everything that you so richly deserve.

If, however, you possess a fervent (burning?) desire to go there (hell, that is), and you need some sort of reassurance, my vastly superior canine instincts (*sniff* *sniff*) are telling me that you don’t need to change a thing about yourself. Feel better now?

Vastly superior canine instincts, collie? HAH! My feeble human intuition tells me that I should be asking for AllahPundit’s 72 virgins — presuming that he doesn’t show up to claim them (if I believed in that sort of thing, that is).

My collie says:

I think maybe in AllahPundit’s case, it’s more like 72 Japanese fembots.

CyberCipher on April 21, 2010 at 11:41 PM

I would like to see these polls expanded, they are missing a large segment of the religious. I, for example, pray daily and read scripture about 20 minutes a day but only attend organized religious services at Christmas and Easter.

scullymj on April 22, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Without Religion, America is nothing.

scotash on April 22, 2010 at 2:36 AM

super

Allahpundit — why do you have to be so mean-spirited? Your sarcasm hurts my ears.

balkanmom2 on April 22, 2010 at 4:46 AM

Allah: Jesus loves atheists too. Christians don’t need to be ashamed of their feelings the same way you don’t. I don’t really understand why it has become such a big deal. We have a very strong group in my area and it has many believers and many who are not. The important part is that we want the same things from our government.

The “majority” of the founding fathers were Christians and this country’s laws were based on Christian views. These same Christian leaders believed, as many Christian Tea Partiers do today that Christianity is strong enough to stand on its on merits. That’s why we don’t appose or have problems with other religions or those who don’t believe in anything, like yourself. Lets stop going down un-necessary rat holes just to improve your posting numbers. You do a pretty good job without these kind of posts.

New Patriot on April 22, 2010 at 6:33 AM

How does he reconcile that with the fact that most Democrats are religious too?

Environmentalism isn’t a real “religion” that our Founders would recognize, Allah, you rube.

So perhaps its time to fall back on the “neener-neener you’re a weiner” excuse for your stunning lack of Constitutional literacy.

Christians are a POLITE majority. And we are very, VERY weary of turning the other cheek.

I suggest you dig that fencepost out of your rectum and face facts, old buddy.

seejanemom on April 22, 2010 at 8:21 AM

…blacks, Hispanics, and Jews break heavily towards the left despite the existence of strong faith communities in each group…

And may I just point out that “strong faith communities” does not always mean CHRISTIAN.

Check the kind of “strong faith communities” brewing in our prisons, Allah.

The same “strong faith communities” that breed Jeremiah Wright also breed GANG VIOLENCE at a stunning disproportion in those “communities”.

Those same “strong faith communities” also coexist alongside inbred lassitude and IDENTITY POLITICS suckled on Uncle Sam’s sugar teat.

“Srong faith communities” means NOTHING.

Stop PRETENDING to be so damn naive. Its getting tiresome, Allah.

You hate God. That’s YOUR problem.

seejanemom on April 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hey ALLA VP DeMint Pres DeMint has a nice ring to it Hey.Hey all you socialist/Liberals/God less/So called Dems.The DeMint is coming The DeMint is coming that should make you day.Now that i have got your attention you socialist (YOUR TIME IS UP)

thmcbb on April 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I think it’s an interesting point. I always felt the Obama campaign was essentially a religious one.

AnninCA on April 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM

at least for the time being

Hmmm.

spmat on April 22, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Removal of prayer from schools and National Prayer Day and the like, need to be laid at the feet of the opposition. Whats next? In ‘God We Trust’ off of our money? Who says one person can’t screw up a country?

johnnyU on April 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Depends on what you mean by highly religious. Nancy “Partial Birth” Pelosi is a Catholic, or says she is. Ted “second trimester” Kennedy was also religious, to the point of going through all the motions inside the church building.

If “highly religious” means going by the Book, or championing the Doctrine, that is one type of highly religious.

The “ends justify the means” highly religious obviously have no fear of a living God.

Sucking out the brains of a deformed baby, is an intense activity which I could call more highly motivated, than highly religious

The highly religious folk who do not believe in giving medical care, food or water to a baby born alive during an abortion follow a Sermon other than the Sermon on the Mount

entagor on April 23, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I feel sorry for atheists. I think it’s like someone who’s been burned in love, they have no faith in it any longer.

What happened to you, Allah, to strip you of your conscious connection to God?

disa on April 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM