Photos of new iPhone leave chump blogger pawing at the screen

posted at 9:52 pm on April 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

For a gadget blog like Gizmodo, this is roughly equivalent to us getting hold of a secret Palin memo revealing whether she’s running in 2012 or not. It’s the mother lode.

I haven’t pawed at the screen since, well, since that Christina Hendricks Esquire cover. But tell me I’m wrong:

What’s new

• Front-facing video chat camera
• Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
• Camera flash
• Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
• Improved display. It’s unclear if it’s the 960×640 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the “Connect to iTunes” screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
• What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
• Split buttons for volume
• Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What’s changed

• The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or ceramic or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
• An aluminum border going completely around the outside
• Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
• Everything is more squared off
• 3 grams heavier
• 16% Larger battery
• Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery

Oodles of photos at the link; the design really is a noticeable improvement over the chintzy, curved, plastic-backed later models. (My first-generation silverback remains beautiful.) Even if you’re not a gadget fan, read the post as it’s fun to watch them wrestle with their disbelief that they’ve got an honest-to-goodness only-one-in-captivity iPhone 4G in their grasp. It tracks like a mystery novel: Sure, it looks like an iPhone, and it’s recognized as an iPhone when you connect it to iTunes, but not until you pop off the back is its true identity revealed…

They don’t say definitively that it’s HD, but the many hints about noticeably higher resolution point that way. Which is nice, but at that screen size, how much of a difference can there be between regulation definition and high? Exit question: Who’s getting one?

Comments

I’d hate to be the Apple employee who lost the phone. He does look like a Schmuck though.

This is what happens when you drink German beer.

portlandon on April 19, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Meh. Still an Android fan here. We can handle having more than one button on our devices.

Hannibal Smith on April 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Christina Hendricks? You could at least have used that Giada in Gravy spread from a couple years back.

livefreerdie on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Dude, you need another cat.

txag92 on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Control yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Is it wrong that I still use a Motorola RAZR ?

portlandon on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

All Hail Techno Dork!!!!!

thomasaur on April 19, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Oh…. AllahPundit, you so suck. I’m laid off but I SO have update my cell package and get this! Video conferencing from your cellphone??? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!?!

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Since I’m graduating college in June and plan to be working soon after, I’ll be picking up one for myself and my wife when it gets released! Yippie! A great reward for finishing college and getting a job.

Weebork on April 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

So Gizmodo hates iPhones and hopes they fail?

Oops, sorry, you said “us”, plural… never mind.

malclave on April 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM

AH!!!!!!

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Yes, but we all know the most important question is, will it blend?

JSchuler on April 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM

The new body style serves to double the shelf space for the accessories the iPhone already commands at the store near you.

ericdijon on April 19, 2010 at 10:02 PM

iNtervention.

ronsfi on April 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

You are looking at Apple’s next iPhone. It was found lost in a bar in Redwood City,

Really? Who brings the next iPhone model to a bar and loses it? Maybe Gizmodo borrowed this article from The Onion.

But tell me I’m wrong:

See above comment.

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Exit question: Who’s getting one?

No thanks. Here’s what I’m getting sometime this summer:

That way, I can actually control the apps that go on the phone, rather that giving exclusive control to Steve.

AUINSC on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

I have been strongly considering moving to Android or a Win 7 phone. If this is the finished product, I may stay with the iPhone.

JCred on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Does it get real push email yet, or will serious business users still flock to Blackberry?

Sharke on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Definitely want.
***

livefreerdie on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

You’re kidding, right?

Diane on April 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Cracks me up that the HA adserver put an ad for BB Storm right at the bottom of this post.

peski on April 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Exit question: Who’s getting one?

Me! Me me me meeeee! I’ve been holding out, suffering along with my 3G, for EONS. Hot damn!!

coppertop on April 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Look! An iPhone…er…a Puppy!

ted c on April 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Think it was intentional?

Diane on April 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM

AUINSC on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

What are you talking about? The iPhone user controls what is/isn’t loaded onto the phone.

Sharke on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

The iPhone already supports that.

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Looks a bit more ordinary with that square look and all the flush sides. Oh well I think ill just stick with my 3GS for now, I’m in no rush to replace it.

Hellrider on April 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Only apps approved for sale at the Apple store. So no, you can’t put whatever you want on your iphone.

AUINSC on April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

What’s the worst part of being an apple fanboi?

Having to tell your dad you are ghey.

Inanemergencydial on April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Think it was intentional?

Diane on April 19, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Has this ever happened with an Apple product? Not that I know of. Given how super-secret Apple is with their products, I’m thinking this is a late, late, late April Fool’s joke.

If it was intentional, I’d be looking for a large deposits into any Apple employee’s bank accounts.

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Once I cover my photo equipment costs, I’m gonna try for an iPhone. My current iPhone is nearly 3 years old.

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

AUINSC on April 19, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Gotcha. You do know a majority of the apps are free.

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Sharke on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Uhmmm . . . the iPhone has had real push email for 2 years now.

Anonymous Finch on April 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM

*bans

CWforFreedom on April 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Oh yeah, I’ll get it…just not at first as my GS isn’t very old.

Bob's Kid on April 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

I was born in 1957…so I’m still pretty excited about cordless landlines in my house. But you kids have fun with this – it does look cool! God, I feel old.

redwhiteblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Alternate headline:
Blogger gives strong indication as to why he is fatally lonely, a geek.

carbon_footprint on April 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Don’t feel bad, Allah. You put the ‘chum’ in chump.

Inkblots on April 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I’m still using a sliding style phone from almost 5 years ago and have never owned a phone with internet access, and I really want one of these.

I can only imagine how it’s tearing you up inside.

BadgerHawk on April 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Photos of new iPhone leave chump blogger pawing clawing at the screen

Please AP. Don’t lose your masculinity over it :)

FontanaConservative on April 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Gotcha. You do know a majority of the apps are free.

conservative pilgrim on April 19, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Doesn’t matter…they have to be approved by Apple. Many aren’t.

AUINSC on April 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

BTW AllahPundit, I have the original silverback iPhone as well, and it’s still awesome. My silent mode switch on the side sticks from the kids dropping it, but other than that my phone is still in perfect condition going on almost 3 years now.

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I just need my phone to ring and to dial out. Am I a schmuck?

SouthernGent on April 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

redwhiteblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Hey – I was born 10 years before you. Tech junkie-ness knows no age. I may look old, hell, I AM old, but I’m gonna love my new iPhone.

coppertop on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I have to see the device HTC puts out for Windows Mobile 7 first. The HD2 was an iPhone killer that never made it to America in time. It is just now coming out for T-mobile.

Theworldisnotenough on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Sharke on April 19, 2010 at 10:04 PM

My ex-boyfriend works as a tech manager for Porsche. When I got mine he wanted to convert his blackberry to an iPhone. They have push email. The reason Porsche wouldn’t let him was because they have security and push set with BlackBerry and a special Corporate rate price with T-Mobile. He offered to pay for it himself, if they’d let him still have to corporate email but they declined claiming security issues.

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Allah. Dude. I’ve said it since the first gen came out: Set up a PayPal account to accept donations. The least I could do is to contribute $50 to your telephonic destiny in return for the exceptional political analysis and humor I’ve gleaned from this site over the past 4 years.

If you build it, they will donate.

BirdEye on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I take quite a bit of pride that my 3 year old iPhone hasn’t been cracked.

I know friends and acquaintances who have been through multiple iPhones.

Suckers

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Is it wrong that I still use a Motorola RAZR ?

portlandon on April 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM

No, just quaint.

Aviator on April 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

If you build it, they will donate.

BirdEye on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Yo, good call.

Seriously, AP. Open that Beta PayPal account. Out of the hundreds of thousands of readers, you KNOW…
KNOW…
there is at least a handful who will chuck ya’ a good 20-50 buckaroos towards an iPhone.

DO IT.
NOW.
NOW.
SAY YES.
DO IT. NOW. DO IT. DO IT NOW. NOW. DO IT.

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Front-facing video chat camera

Kirk and spock didn’t even have THAT!

The current iPhone has an App called “Knocking Live Video” where you can see on your screen what somebody else is aiming their camera at.

Tony737 on April 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM

But tell me I’m wrong:

Cool phone, designed in a christian country.

Stephen M on April 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

A Mao suit.

A very stylish Mao suit, but a Mao suit none the less.

I know that Apple is kind of tied down to keeping the physical footprint close to other iPhones, but making the screen smaller?

My next smart phone will have a 4″ or more screen – and no one in black turtlenecks telling me what I can and can’t run on my phone.

darkpixel on April 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Totally agree. My swing dance teacher had dropped and shattered his but was still using it. At first, they didn’t have all the covers they do now. But I got this really cool black leather velcro cover with belt clip and it works awesome for me. My friends that got 3Gs had all these elaborate covers and I even got one for a gift. But my leather case works like a charm and I love having the original look and feel of the phone.

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Tony737 on April 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM

If that’s true, even though I can’t afford it, I’m finally gonna breakdown and upgrade my iPhone. Video conferencing is off the hook!

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Exit answer: I’ll probably get one. I also have the original iPhone, but the battery is starting to die. It is erratic in how long it will hold a charge, and once it hits 20%, it’s not long before it craps out entirely. I keep going around and around about whether to get another one b/c AT&T is such a pain in the @ss, but I really do enjoy the phone and all the fun apps I can have on it, plus all of my iTunes music (which saves me from having to cart around an iPod as well).

I’m not particularly impressed with the styling, but that’s not all that important to me. More important to me is 1) Will it finally have some freaking Flash support, and 2) Will it support iCal “To Do” lists. iCal isn’t exactly the best task management software out there, but it’s less unwieldy from others out there and it syncs most seamlessly between the phone and the laptop. I just wish Apple would make it a little more robust.

NoLeftTurn on April 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Many of my friends have gotten the iPhone over the last year or two. For every one that does, I sit them down and give them “The Speech”:

Rules:
1) When placing your phone on a table or similar surface, place the phone SCREEN DOWN.

2) When placing your phone in your pocket, the screen must point inward, towards your skin.

Those are the rules of the iPhone..
and here is the rule song:

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I’m afraid to buy one because something better will be introduced right after I learn how to use it…

Seven Percent Solution on April 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Why, you may ask?

Well, what if I’m at a party, and someone knocks a corner of a table when moving it into my phone when its in my pocket?

The backside, especially with a case, will survive the sharp blow fine. The screen won’t.

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Holy crap…you seriously need a diversion…preferably a female one.

Go meet a real woman for G_d’s sake! You are getting hot and bothered over a *phone*.

Asher on April 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You are getting hot and bothered over a *phone*.

Asher on April 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You obviously haven’t played with it much!

blatantblue on April 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

• Front-facing video chat camera

Allah, if that’s what it takes for us to see your face, we’ll all chip in and get you one!

Tzetzes on April 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Interesting…Mr. PPF will regret his cell phone change and convince me to get this one and trade (I am up for another one soon, so perhaps I sense a multi-day negotiations on the works). I bet he wants to show off this iPhone at the other co-workers’ that already have the older version.

Problem is, I am basically DEPENDENT on Windows Mobile unless anybody can convince me that:

1-It’s loud enough to wake me up;
2-loud for reminding me appointments with plenty of time in advance, and remind me my menial tasks;
3-I can interact with Outlook’s calendar and contacts to move them to the new unit, flawless.
4-Will make it worthy of the wait; I am either waiting for Evo (I think is not AT&T (Sprint) nor Windows Mobile friendly).
5-I am NOT attracted to a CrackBerry, for whatever reason. I am an HTC fan; unfortunately AT&T does not carry most of the HTC line and that annoys me big time.
6-Concerns about AT&T’s 3G or 4G being a bit slow for the cell to work flawlessly.

My Touch does jack and squat for Outlook reminders. Not even a peep. Displays it but I don’t care because it’s not loud; perhaps I need the phone part for it to work properly. Why have the mike software installed when I have an Ed-micro and headset and it doesn’t pickup anything?

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

But, but, is it the AT&T or the Verizon version?

jon1979 on April 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Now I finnally understand your pain AP. Hubba Hubba

mechkiller_k on April 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Sorry, but this chump commenter has become a certified Android fanboi.

flipflop on April 19, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Theworldisnotenough on April 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

You know the drill. Buy it new, unlocked on Ebay, and swap the SIM card. Done. T-Mobile SUCKS here. If you want to get rid of crapware, install a RegEdit software on your computer; it will Active Sync to your cell phone, unlock from the software again, and voila!

Pls. be sure to look for phone wizards and engineers’ expert on the matter; they “cook” kewl apps for HTC phones. One good website to crack phones, etc. is http://xda-developers.com. They have a forum; of course anything is your own responsibility, and can risk bricking of the unit; be cautious!

But with their help, I improved the memory card’s extended memory to 4 gig (it tops 2 max, stupid phone) so they cooked it, I installed it and works like a charm. I reinstall it whenever something screws up with this phone.

ps: DO NOT EVER PURCHASE A PANTECH PHONE, NO MATTER WHAT!

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I got my apple 3G iphone about 18 months ago. I haven’t configured email yet to send. I can’t figure out how to download the pictures to my computer. I am too much of a techtard to upgrade to the next level, right? :)

karenhasfreedom on April 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Still love my Droid Eris. Okay, I don’t love the stupid trackball, but then my beautiful wife is just almost perfect.

pugwriter on April 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM

A 4G prototype is *accidentally* left in a bar where Gizmodo folks hang out? As Bill Cosby’s Noah said to The Lord, “Riiiight….”

skydaddy on April 19, 2010 at 11:16 PM

What’s so fantastic about the Droid? If employees won’t give me a great rundown on how it works, how am I supposed to be somewhat interested in it? I wish these stuff could be “test driven” instead of chained to a wall.

Either that, or it’s just RAAAACCIIIISSMMM!!!!

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Allah, it could have been yours. Gizmodo only spent $10k to get it.

Yes, really.

strictnein on April 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM

ProudPalinFan on April 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

The iPhone does a good job syncing with Outlook. I use it to sync my work and home calendars. And it alerts you with a pretty loud alert.

strictnein on April 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

In typical Gizmodo/Gawker jack@ass style, they decide to release the full name of the Apple employee who lost the phone, with his picture and some background info:

Seriously, what a bunch of jerks. I’m sure Jobs himself has ripped this guy a new one, and they go and post his picture and his full name?

strictnein on April 19, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I like the new design, especially the flat back. Makes it easy to add protective film. The thinness and bigger battery might finally be enough to get one of these as my next touch and ditch my current phone. Looks very promising.

Dongemaharu on April 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM

If prototypes are bolted to tables, how and why did a software engineer have one in his possession off-campus? While drinking? I was fairly clueless at 27, but not THAT clueless.

skydaddy on April 19, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Oh yeah, someone over at iPodlounge made an interesting point that no one actually tried to return this guy’s phone. I was so busy ogling to even think about that.

Dongemaharu on April 19, 2010 at 11:37 PM

If it’s 4G that means Sprint, yes? I’d probably go with this then instead of the HTC EVO I’ve been eyeing as a purchase later this year. I like the iPhone, but not enough to switch carriers and blow my family plan out of the water, etc.

If this runs on Sprint, that’s the way I’ll roll, almost for sure.

Midas on April 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

The signal emerges through the glowing apple on the back, and then utterly muddles the synapses of the nearest brain.

unclesmrgol on April 19, 2010 at 11:45 PM

iDontKnow.

5u93rm4n on April 20, 2010 at 12:01 AM

If it’s 4G that means Sprint, yes?

Midas on April 19, 2010 at 11:38 PM

No. It refers to the 4th generation of iPhones, not the 4th generation of cell networks.

strictnein on April 20, 2010 at 12:13 AM

Probably not a lot, but the article did make a point of saying that the resolution was so good that they couldn’t make out individual pixels. So, that’s pretty impressive.

DrAllecon on April 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM

When the Iphone Can’t because Apple Won’t: DROID DOES

Jones Zemkophill on April 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM

The ceramic back creates a focal point for the radio waves…it is basically a cancer incubator.
iPhone will be soon shown to be the number one cause of brain tumors…unless Apple ups their democrat support.
Everything that can’t “give” can be regulated one way or the other…

right2bright on April 20, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Call me Mr. Buzzkill but the way I look at it, some guy forgot his personal possession and it was found by some supposedly professional “journalists”. Rather than do the moral, right thing and return the personal possession to its owner, they cracked the thing open and took it apart.

Not only did they violate someone’s privacy, they probably just cost the poor guy his job. Thanks.

Kinda like finding someone’s wallet, pawing through it and then posting the pictures of his wife and kids on the internet.

Tech or no tech. Not very cool.

kurtzz3 on April 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Meh. I’m waiting for the HTC EVO 4G coming to Sprint. :)

modnar on April 20, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Tech or no tech. Not very cool.

kurtzz3 on April 20, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Seems very illegal to me. Even keeping cash you find on the ground is illegal. You are supposed to notify the police and wait and see if no one claims it.

pedestrian on April 20, 2010 at 2:36 AM

AP, you have good taste in mobile electronics, and even better taste in women.

Mmmm, Christina Hendricks, ooooohhhhh!

I’ve lusted after her since Firefly…I really must start watching Mad Men…

Battlecruiser-operational on April 20, 2010 at 6:32 AM

I threw my cell phone in the trash 2.5 years ago and believe it was the best decision of my life. I have been liberated!!!!
Now we only own a pre-paid cheapo that we only use during trips. I put $10 of time on and throw it in the glove box.
I know what you are all thinking. Trust me I am no luddite. I am an I.T. sys admin and have more tech than I know what to do with. I have a Mac or a PC in every room in my house, even my 5 year old owns a laptop and a desktop.

Join me in liberation.. Free yourselves!!! :P

vinceautmorire on April 20, 2010 at 6:41 AM

After seeing those pictures of Christina Hendricks, I put Mad men at the top of my netflix queue.

Thanks for the link AP.

B Man on April 20, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Since I develop software for Windows, I’m holding out for a Windows 7 phone. On the other hand, if Apple uses this same design for an iPod Touch with 128GB of memory, I’m probably in for that.

NeighborhoodCatLady on April 20, 2010 at 7:29 AM

An HD videophone on our current wireless network? Right.

hulagain on April 20, 2010 at 7:41 AM

I pretty much only use my phone for, you know, calling people. But I don’t travel much.

TallDave on April 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM

You’re kidding, right?

Diane on April 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Definitely not!

Hey AP, nice Seinfeld quote too.

livefreerdie on April 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Exit question: Who’s getting one?

Hot Air needs to hit up their new megacorporate backers and give some away.

American Elephant on April 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I don’t forgive Apple for their recent announcement that developers for the iPhone must now use only “Apple-approved” coding languages to create apps. I think it’s a gamble that Apple is going to lose in the long run.

Apple makes good products, but they’re overpriced and the arrogance that usually seems to accompany them reduces the value, in my opinion. If I ever actually need a smart phone (and I get along fine with my boring little Samsung), I’ll be purchasing a Droid.

Animator Girl on April 20, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Waiting for the 4g network.

You know, I hear Apple’s opening up an office north of Juneau, Alaska. Employee #1? Gray Powell. Dress warm, dude.

Pablo Snooze on April 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM

And because it’s thinner, it feels even nicer in your pants.

Heh. (I carry my phone in my jeans all the time, but that still made me laugh.)

Read the article. He lost the phone on March 18th, Gizmodo got it weeks later, and as of yesterday he still works for Apple. Not only that, but at the end, they ask that he not be fired for a simple mistake.

Tanya on April 20, 2010 at 1:32 PM