Audio: Laura Ingraham and Charles Blow clash over tea party “minstrel show” column

posted at 5:50 pm on April 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Skip ahead to a quarter of the way through if you don’t want to bother with the intro. I touched on his column in the Bill Maher post over the weekend, but if you missed it, read it now. He never quite gets around to calling Zo Rachel a race traitor or Uncle Tom — or maybe he did and the Times’s editors thought that would be a tad much for such a tolerant, diverse newspaper — but the “minstrel show” crack is clear enough in its import. Here’s a radical theory: Maybe minorities were overrepresented at the podium in Dallas because tea party leaders wanted to send a high-profile signal that non-whites are welcome to join the movement. Blow assumes that this was some sort of “performance” for the benefit of whites in attendance, but my hunch is that the target audience was entirely different — i.e. black and Latino independents who may share some of the same concerns as TPers about taxes and spending but are wary of getting involved with what our moral superiors on the left are now calling “Tea Klanners.” The only way to challenge the media’s narrative is to put minority tea partiers in front of the cameras, which won’t stop New York Times smear merchants from calling them Stepin Fetchits or whatever but may reach a few people who are still open-minded about the dynamic.

If you’re looking for a tough but fair piece on last week’s rallies, I recommend this piece (also mentioned by Ingraham) from WaPo’s Robert McCartney. Yes, there are plenty of kooks in the tea party, he notes, but racists are a little harder to find.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Minstrel shows were first performed by whites in blackface and later by blacks in blackface, making me wonder if, along with the profoundly racist insult he hurled, Blow reveals a certain degree of self-loathing.

What if I, a white person, described reading Blow as like watching a minstrel show run by his white overlords?

Maybe in the still of the night and his soul he looks at the lily-white composition of the NYT brass and casts himself in the “Mistah Bones” role. The ugliness of the comment, in the same category as the “N” word, certainly came flowing out of his pen.

Drained Brain on April 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Just another liberal Blow Job!

Marco on April 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM

I just sent Mr. Charles an email commending him for having the guts to go on Laura’s show. I told him that I was disappointed that he proved to be what I expected he would be, an arrogant puke.

For you youngsters on this board, “Mr. Charles” was a “respectful” name for Victory Charlie, or the Viet Cong.

BottomLine5 on April 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM

“What was the worst display of overt racism?”

“There was none.”

Game, set, match.

Akzed on April 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I thought this was a week interview by Laura. All she was doing was looking for a fight. There were a couple of good moments, but it was not her best.

sheesh on April 19, 2010 at 9:04 PM

I heard it live. This guy was an asshat. I love the fact that Laura never backs down.

Sultry Beauty on April 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

weak. oops.

sheesh on April 19, 2010 at 9:11 PM

It’s always tough for the interviewer when the person being interviewed is a total tool.

kahall on April 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Typical NYTimes LIAR

RWGinger on April 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

You are correct about his comment re: working, especially if he arrived early. It was for volunteer purposes ONLY. What an axx.
I did sit on the front row and he was indeed sitting there at the beginning. Facing the stage, he was in the front row on the left, very corner seat. When I arrived he was on one end, a photographer on the other end, so I sat directly in between both of them. He left the front row at some point but I don’t know when. His comment about “thinking better about raising his infiltrator hand” made me laugh. Who exactly would “get” him? Me (a person with physical handicaps), the Korean War veteran behind us, or the friendly volunteer checking the green VIP passes who was likely in his 60s?
Blow is the racist and the bigot.

Yellowdog12 on April 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM

It’s the seriousness of the charges!

Inanemergencydial on April 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM