Video: And now, an important message from Bill Maher about tea partiers

posted at 4:48 pm on April 17, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, which by now is as weary and contemptuous of this as you are, here’s the flip side to Charles Blow’s denigration of minority tea partiers this morning as putting on a “minstrel show” for whites. (See Conor Friedersdorf for a reply to that.) As lame as it is, I find the clip interesting as a window onto Maher’s place in the lefty media landscape. He’s not quite a comedian — the jokes here, such as they are, are simply terrible — and he’s not quite a serious pundit either, yet not only does he have his own show on premium cable, he’s in demand by cable news nets as a commentator on current affairs. Does anyone else get quite that much notoriety for filling this niche? Coulter and Dennis Miller are obvious comparisons, the former because she’s a provocateur, the latter because he’s a comedian turned pundit, but neither one has their own television show. It’s not like the left is starved for comic opinion, either. Stewart and Colbert run rings around this tool every weeknight and people like Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, and David Cross are both sharply left and (at times) sharply funny. How does “Real Time with Bill Maher” exist but not, say, “Real Time with Zach Galifianakis”? Maybe that’s Maher’s secret — that, unknown to the public at large, behind the scenes he’s simply a genius of self-promotion. That would explain a lot; rarely has someone blessed with so little achieved so much.

In your annoyance at his racial cracks, don’t overlook the fact that Maher, like so many other liberals this week (including The One himself), continues to smugly push the talking point that those darned wingnuts don’t even realize that Obama’s cut taxes. Yeah, he’s cut some — and raised others — but that’s a detail compared to the inevitable drift towards higher taxes being generated by our exploding spending. The true ignorance of tea partiers is in assuming that Obama would feel obliged to raise taxes to keep pace with spending instead of simply letting giant deficits mount up. Don’t they know there’s an election coming up?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

In ’07 I’m walking from my gym to the parking garage & run into Maher. He’s waiting for his car @ Il Moro in WLA – corner of Purdue & Olympic. I ask ‘Hey Douchebag, did you got to Cornell w/ Olberman?’. Weasel gets all shifty nervous & mumbles ‘Hey, how’ya doin’?’ Wish I’d asked how he feels about Stewart hijacking his career. A little turd in loafers.

BHO Jonestown on April 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Maher is a loser. Who cares about his lame show.

therightwinger on April 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM

He is so nasty even our trolls won’t touch him.

CWforFreedom on April 17, 2010 at 6:50 PM

…rarely has someone blessed with so little achieved so much.

Just goes to show what happens when you’re a leftist and the honchos hiring are also leftists. How many viewers does Maher have, besides his mother and ‘significant other’?

A lot can be explained about his attitude by the fact that he’s a SHORT little dweeb.

GarandFan on April 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Maher is a disgusting little turd with a big fat yap and pudding for brains…and those are his good points.

What kind of sad excuses for human beings would want to be in his audience? Consumed by hate, lives devoid of any real meaning, they’re like the crowds at the Colosseum, laughing and cheering as the Christians get torn to shreds.

gordo on April 17, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Maher has made a living out of being evil. His deep-rooted feeling of being inferior motivates the ugly little midget into attacking those he can never understand. Of course, most lib-tards feel the same way. Their hate is so amusing.

volsense on April 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Bill Maher hasn’t been funny since Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death–which tells you all you need to know about whether he’s ever been funny.

Athanasius on April 17, 2010 at 7:02 PM

By “clan” does he mean very stupid and ugly people who have huge noses and no common sense?

The Reasonable Man on April 17, 2010 at 7:02 PM

rarely has someone blessed with so little achieved so much

No kidding. Short, incredibly ugly, and pathetically unfunny. This little troll either has the goods on somebody powerful in the business, or else he’s made a deal with the devil.

AZCoyote on April 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Good point.

The Reasonable Man on April 17, 2010 at 7:07 PM

It is interesting . The Tea Party folks are supposed to get in the face of people in their group that cross the line and yet Maher just babbles on with just hatred and our trolls and lefties say NOTHING.

CWforFreedom on April 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Dude

Obama cancels Poland trip due to volcano fallout

William Amos on April 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The more you all get upset about him, the more he wins.

We all laugh gleefully when leftists hyperventilate ate what Hannity or Limbaugh say.

Why do you give leftists the same satisfaction by giving a s**t what Maher has to say? Of course he will say tea partiers are all Klansman. That’s not shocking. What is shocking is that anyone cares what he says.

angryed on April 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM

If America can make Fox the best, HBO can be made the worst. It is up to the paying viewers.

mobydutch on April 17, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Obama cancels Poland trip due to volcano fallout

William Amos on April 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM

God exercising mercy on Poland in their time of mourning.

Inanemergencydial on April 17, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Who the f**k is Maher to talk down to anyone?! He failed college, he pumps himself up so full of drugs he can’t even think straight(which explains his politics,) and the only way he can get a woman is to troll the Playboy Mansion. But on top of all that… he’s BORING!

Keep spewing your venomous crap, you pathetic, deluded, drug-addled taint. All I’m going to say is that what goes around, comes around.

ZK on April 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Dude

Obama cancels Poland trip due to volcano fallout

William Amos on April 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM

It’s a miracle, I tell you. God shook a mountain to save the city of the Pope from profanation by this evil false prophet.

year_of_the_dingo on April 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM

If I could change one thing about Hot Air – and most conservative websites in general – I would have them to stop quoting these leftist “comedians” whose words have no real consequence.

I know the response will be “If you don’t like it, don’t read it”. And believe me, I try not to. But I challenge any reader of the conservatives sites to go a day without being forced to be aware of how the Right was insulted and cheapshotted the night before by Bill Maher, Jon Stewart, Joy Behar, David Letterman, and so on.

And it is not as though I don’t want to hear both sides of an issue either. But from politicians, pundits, economists, and thinkers. Tell me what someone like Katrina Vandel Heuval, Paul Krugman, or Fareek Zakaria says. But enough with the comics.

DarkKnight3565 on April 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Maher has always struck me as just one semi imagined slight away from a horrific tantrum or meltdown that would shine a very telling light on a sick personality.
His smug humor is a super thin cover. He is like The Won in that way.
Both are part of “the enlightened left” and are enabled and accepted as “real”, but are in fact just the opposite.

ontherocks on April 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM

The Left a month ago: These teabaggers are just poor uneducated racists who shouldn’t be taken seriously!

The Left today: These teabaggers are just rich overeducated racists who shouldn’t be taken seriously!

Speedwagon82 on April 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Speedwagon82 on April 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM

And according to Nancy Pelosi we all wear Brooks Brothers suits too.

angryed on April 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I don’t always agree with Bill Mahr on everything. Sometimes he gets it. Sometimes he doesn’t.

But on the T.E.A. party thing, he’s 100% wrong.

Conservative Samizdat on April 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM

But I wonder how many women look at Bill Maher and think what a nightmare that guy would be in bed – selfish, no stamina, demanding, not to mention hands like a woman.

CarolynM on April 17, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I don’t know how any woman could be attracted to the old fossil. He looks like a cross between chicken man Frank Perdue and Cliff Barnes from the 80s TV show Dallas.

Christina_M on April 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Allen West – on Pelosi and Klein.wmv

Jayrae on April 17, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I suddenly have the urge to make some tea for Billy boy…

RalphyBoy on April 17, 2010 at 7:30 PM

But on the T.E.A. party thing, he’s 100% wrong.

Conservative Samizdat on April 17, 2010 at 7:27 PM

What does sometimes mean in your dictionary? :)

Maher’s an idiot 98% of the time.

CWforFreedom on April 17, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Col. Allen West attends Klan rally.

Buy Danish on April 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Bill Maher is an angry, angry pervert who hates conservatives because they disapprove of adults having sex with children. When was the last time he dates a woman not young enough to be his granddaughter?

American Elephant on April 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Every time I hear Maher run his trap, I picture Christopher Hitchens pwning him on how vacuous his audience is; how they clap like brainless seals at whatever Maher says.

Maher looked like the child he is when Hitchens pwned him: the head tip, the little puppy-dog look that said, “Come on, hero, don’t hurt my feelings.”

Stupid little liberal men and the stupid touchy feelings. Maher is the prime example.

Grace_is_sufficient on April 17, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Edouard has it exactly right.

Zorro on April 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM

DarkKnight3565 on April 17, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Now those are some funny people!

Vince on April 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Has this made the HA circuit? Real humor.

davidk on April 17, 2010 at 7:49 PM

The first casualty in the war of equivocation is language itself.

Thanks Bill.

spmat on April 17, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Here was my response to Mr. Blow

That’s one mighty high horse you ride on…is there oxygen at that altitude or do you need a tank? You must be a Chicago community organizer on the side,
they’re the only ones I’ve seen achieve that level of arrogance and snootiness. It’s astonishing, and part of what the tea party
protesters are sick and tired of. Look down your nose as some other group, not your fellow countrymen. Or do you consider them worthy enough to be your
fellow countrymen? You and Mr. President owe the citizens of this country an apology, but I’ll not hold my breath waiting for one from high class snobs.

scalleywag on April 17, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I know no one other than you interested in looking.

Blake on April 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM

It’ll be interesting what Maher does when his HBO gig is up. Best case – “comedy” gigs at liberal colleges.

That is one dark soul.

johnboy on April 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Yes, we’ve found our spear tip.

Go West.

spmat on April 17, 2010 at 8:12 PM

attraction-$$$$$$$$

Why doesn’t the GOP get something on this dude. Why does HA let us know his every little belch?????

Solution, cancel HBO…48%….say no to Maher………not going to happen….
No spines in GOP…..the left have boycotted, dug up everything they can and continue to try to destroy Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, Joe the Plumber etc….

The right can’t even take a stand on HBO…..

nondhimmie on April 17, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Better than you.

labrat on April 17, 2010 at 8:17 PM

totally O/T: but my Congressidjit, Dem Tom Perriello, 5th CD Va, just found the time to respond to the anti-Obamacare emails he got prior to his YES vote. naturally, you can imagine the response: God, country, starving sick children, blah blah. He sent the same response to all 5 of my emails (before I started calling all his field offices).

and he sent the same response to another guy in my county who said “enjoy your one term”. (this guy, I didn’t know previously, but he circulated his response to his large body of email friends & it ended up in my in-box)

so anyway, we bitter clingers gun toters racists un-Americans are getting organized by, gasp, high technology.

so email your friends & encourage them to do so also. we can beat these guys.

sorry for interruption.

kelley in virginia on April 17, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I don’t worship AP but I can’t seem him viewing Maher in a positive light just because he is an atheist. Hitchens, yeah, but even I think Hitchens would be interesting to hang out with.

aikidoka on April 17, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Maybe you’re right. It still creeps me out.

csdeven on April 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Just out of curiosity, what is Bill Maher’s ethnic background? He kind of looks like a DNA soup that curdled.

Sharke on April 17, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I wonder if his audience has any diversity, or if they’re all pasty white, too.

stevezilla on April 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM

if HBO costs money, we don’t get it. my husband is a tightwad. I tell him all my clothes come from Goodwill. (well, actually alot of them do).

kelley in virginia on April 17, 2010 at 8:41 PM

OT -from Legal Insurrection

Saturday, April 17, 2010
Six Reasons Liberal Law Students Are So Sad
Dana Lithwick asks What Are Liberal Law Students So Sad About? Her conclusion is that liberal law students are sad because their liberal legal heroes can’t seem to get on the Supreme Court:
Since it’s April, and America’s law students have nothing else to do (kidding!), I’ve done a bunch of talks with student groups and classes in recent weeks. One of the most notable things about these events is the extent to which progressive students, faced with a Supreme Court vacancy, a Democratic president, and a Democratic Congress, are bordering on despair…. It’s awfully hard to be inspired when your heroes are benched before the game even begins.
I understand the feeling. I never recovered from Robert Bork being Borked by a Senator who left a girl to die in a watery ditch at the side of the road and never spent a day in jail, while spending the rest of his life lecturing conservatives about compassion and decency. But that’s just me.

I have some alternative views as to why liberal law students are so sad:
Conservatives are happier than liberals in general. It’s the nature of the universe.
Religious people are happier than non-religious people, and conservatives are more religious than liberals.
The Big Law model is failing, which means that liberal law students cannot do pro bono work for Gitmo detainees while getting paid $160k a year right out of law school.
Liberal legal heroes are not that heroic because in a law school almost everyone is liberal; it’s about as hard as riding first class on a frequent flyer upgrade. By contrast, being conservative in a law school requires the right stuff, much like test pilots, the Mercury astronauts, and the people who walked on the Moon.
Far more people self-identify as conservative than liberal, and leaving the liberal law school cocoon sucks.
Law schools cannot change the first 5 reasons.
There may be other reasons, but these are a good start. I’m open to other suggestions.

Smile!

CWforFreedom on April 17, 2010 at 8:43 PM

I think we are seeing the leftist version of “mid-life crisis”. Instead of buying a red sports car and screwing around with 20 year old, the lefties lose their minds.

Maher is losing a heck of alot more than just his hair with that receding hairline. He’s lost what little intelligence he had, his sense of humor and his mental competancy. It won’t come as a surprise to anyone when Bill finds himself being commited to the booby hatch within the next two years

Niteowl45 on April 17, 2010 at 8:52 PM

The KKK is were and have been DEMOCRATS!…..just like Bill racists.

lilium on April 17, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Here comes the next crisis.

d1carter on April 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I still would like to know Bill’s connection with Ann Coulter. Is she bs’ing us to make money off of her repetitious books, yet agrees with Bill? I never understood their affair/friendship. Can any one answer this?

This blog is a non story btw.

Conservatives R Us on April 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM

The only important message about Bill Maher would be that he suddenly expired or moved to another country.

docdave on April 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Every time I see his picture, the first thing that comes to mind is “ferret”.

GarandFan on April 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Every time I see his picture, the first thing that comes to mind is “ferret”.

GarandFan

HA! I think *sshole! But ferret is pretty good!

JAM on April 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, whatever. Know-nothing, morally and intellectually bankrupt celebrity jackass spouts off on pay-per-view sewer, viewed by morons.

Not worth a response.

NoDonkey on April 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Charles Blow? Bill Maher? Are you serious? Those common dimicrats have nothing to say of any substance. No need to bring their foolishness to a wider audience.

n0doz on April 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM

docdave on April 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM

The only important message about Bill Maher would be that he suddenly expired or moved to another countryreality.

FIFY!

belad on April 17, 2010 at 10:52 PM

The Tea Partys are becoming an obsession, not only on the left but on the right. Maybe it might be wise to report on what they are doing, who they are and what their message is and forget what the left is saying? The one silver lining here is that it has taken some of the attention off Sarah(at least directly)for a while.

jeanie on April 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Politically Incorrect??? Is that show still on?

Fed45 on April 18, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I wonder if his audience has any diversity

stevezilla on April 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Sure. It’s full of women with man-boobs.

Shy Guy on April 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM

CWforFreedom on April 17, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Guess they don’t need to if they agree with the messenger.

I don’t know why we still have to be nice to these creeps like when they get heart attacks for instance.

These hate-filled radicals don’t believe and don’t understand civility.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 18, 2010 at 1:37 AM

I really do not give a damn about what bill maher looks like, his income, sexual prefrence, or his ethnic background.

The fact is he is a liar. What is this crap about cutting taxes for 98% of americans.

TomLawler on April 18, 2010 at 5:58 AM

This fruitcake annoys me so much…not playing that video.

Regardless, I like to challenge this premise, and any premise involving the “racist” invective.

Let’s assume that x is racist and makes a claim about y, where y is a topic that has little or nothing to do with race. Does that necessarily mean that they are wrong about y?
No, it doesn’t.

The “racist” meme thrives on the poisoning the well fallacy.

foucaultsvac on April 18, 2010 at 9:26 AM

This guy’s giving the average respectable, neighborhood, crystal meth user a bad name.

Cybergeezer on April 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I don’t know who is in his audience, but I hope they got in free. After all, who would pay to see a large pile of talking feces on a stage?

afotia on April 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Don’t they know there’s an election coming up?

Interestingly, I’m hearing more people who are beginning to question that assumption. Just because elections in this country have never been suspended doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done under a radical leftist.

oldleprechaun on April 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

oldleprechaun on April 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I’m one of them. I’m not entirely convinced we’ll be allowed another free presidential election. I think that the elections in 2010 will continue, because at this point, people are ready for outright revolt if things go on as they are, but 2012… I’ll believe it when it happens.

jdawg on April 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I’ve seen enough of this malignant, venereal wart-ridden dwarf to avoid any more exposure. I just wanted to see what others had to say about the hideous little creep. If ugliness were a crime, he would be on death row. I wonder what he would say about the people in the provided link? Predictable. Have a look at the link, anyway. Maybe pass it on. Did these people vote for SCROTUS?

LarryG on April 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death

Shannon Tweed Shannon Tweed Shannon Tweed Shannon Tweed Shannon Tweed!!!

Pelayo on April 18, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Bill Maher is never funny. He’s just another smug left coast liberal that has himself convinced he knows what he is talking about.

Moesart on April 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I have not and I will not read this article:

It has already disqualified itself by including the words “Important” and “Bill Maher” in the same headline.

A just reward for this idiot would be to lock him in a room with Obama and Oprah and let the three of them stupify each other to death.

landlines on April 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Assholes of the Avocado Jungle

mojo on April 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Slime with a trachea.

Darwin proved wrong.

profitsbeard on April 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

You said ‘Maher”, and “genius” in the same sentence Allah. You’re funny.

Geronimo on April 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Well, I guess I’m part of the two percent whose taxes went UP, you jacka$$. Our taxes got kicked back saying we didn’t list the $500 stimulus payment we got from Obama. We did NOT get any stimulus from this administration, I don’t know what in Hades they’re talking about. And now, in addition to the $24,000 we paid in withholding, we have to send ANOTHER $1300. Gotta redistribute our wealth, eh, Hussein?

Special K on April 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Nice analysis on Bill Maher AP. I think the comedians you mentioned might be a little too inside baseball for the HotAir audience. For the most part there is little interest in Hollywood/Entertainment personalities amongst HA readers not only because of what they represent politically but also because they choose not too bother with tabloid nonsense. Perhaps its not in their DNA to care about nerdy stuff like pop culture.

Am I off here? too presumptious maybe. In any case it was right up my alley.

PunditFight on April 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM