Video: “These are my people …”

posted at 1:36 pm on April 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Think of this as a Tea Party palate cleanser, via Newsbusters and Freedom’s Lighthouse. Brian at FL thinks this shows condescension on the part of Kelly O’Donnell, the reporter from NBC in this exchange, but in reading the context of the coverage at Newsbusters, I’m not so sure. It sounds as though O’Donnell gave Darryl Postell an opportunity to express on camera what a number of Tea Party protesters have argued for over a year, which is that the movement reflects America as a whole. The little chuckle O’Donnell gives doesn’t exactly help, though:

O’DONNELL, TO MAN: There aren’t a lot of African-American men at these events.

DARRYL POSTELL, LAUGHING: Right.

O’DONNELL: Have you ever felt uncomfortable?

POSTELL: No, no, these are my people, Americans.

Be sure to read both posts, especially Newsbusters, which has more from ABC’s coverage. Surprisingly — well, not really — CBS didn’t bother to report on it last night at all.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I want to start asking the African Americans, minorities, liberals, journalists: Why don’t you feel comfortable attending the Tea Party rallies?

azkag on April 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

baldilocks on April 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM

+1 beat me to it.

AZkag, If a journalist were question some random guy on the street, why should they presume the reason they’re not at the Tea Party is because they’re “uncomfortable”?

Maybe they’re perfectly comfortable attending, but have no interest in it. If said journalist wants to know why they’re not attending, they should ask them why they’re not attending… and not put wordsmemes in their mouth.

RD on April 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Er… “If a journalist were to question …”

RD on April 16, 2010 at 5:01 PM

He left out that most of them like Sarah Palin. I guess that goes unsaid.

Mr. Joe on April 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

The truth is that most of them want nothing to do with some guy who doesn’t know what his butt is for. They figure that since he has such a basic ignorance about that, he likely doesn’t know what his brain is for either.

There are real reasons why normal people avoid most deviants and health issues are high on the list.

platypus on April 16, 2010 at 5:06 PM

RD on April 16, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Yep. Who created the notion that minorities–as a group–don’t feel comfortable at Tea Parties? The Old Media and the Dem Congress, that’s who. The idea certainly was not communicated by any regular American who’s black, brown or whatever.

azkag, don’t by into their BS.

baldilocks on April 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Mr Postell, you be more then welcome at the Tea Party I attended last night! In fact, you would be welcomed with open arms! You would have a great time with the folks I was with last night! We would say THANK YOU FOR STANDING UP FOR FREEDOM Mr. POSTELL!!!

Vntnrse on April 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

azkag, don’t by into their BS.

baldilocks on April 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Believe me, I don’t. I probably didn’t state it well, but I just get tired of hearing these same questions asked by the media all the time directed towards conservative organizations.

I’m ready for some new stereotypes and talking points. These old ones are looking pretty busted. But I understand, security blankets are hard to give up.

azkag on April 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I am waiting for a greater suspicion to sweep through the black (minority) community that part of the push to bring in illegals is to replace black workers with more controllable illegal Hispanics.

I do not have studies or stats to prove this. This is my own personal hunch, that one motivation is racist, a simple dislike of dealing with ‘troublesome’ blacks versus ‘obedient/smiling’ Mexicans

The image of the happy, hard working Mexican illegal brings to my mind the smiling, slow working but happy stereotype once seen in film of the black shoe shine/ porter/ servant. The smiling was there because blacks knew they were out the door if they did not play the stereotype, and the slow moving sloppy work is what you get when you treat another human being like an inferior in a rigged system.

I think blacks are getting shafted right now, and their minority power is being diminished. Blacks were brought in, and had to fight their way out. Just as we are getting to a place of parity, and blacks were moving big into business in the integrated business world, power brokers in both parties have found new toys and reduced the opportunities for our legal minorities

Because of stupid politics, a black has to have a thick skin to go tea party. To join the tea party means you have decided you are being screwed by the combined powers that be. It means you are a fighter.

There are a lot of brave blacks out there. Our military has been the proof. We are so past race in real America. If I need a rescue, nothing would look better to me than a black guy in camo, with an automatic and U.S.A. on his sleeve. The press has trouble with military, black or white, and it has even more trouble with blacks who rock the system

entagor on April 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM

$100 O’Donnel clutches her purse when she passes a black man.

SouthernGent on April 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

The left? Racist?
Only in the condescending “oh, good for you” sense.

Ah, yes they are Racist.
When your primary view of the world is through the prism of race you are a Racist.
What has been the goal of the left? Trying to portray the Tea Party as Racist, not trying to counter any argument.
Think of Olbermann “all these people look exactly like you”
There are NO people of color at any of these Tea Party rallies”
Olbermann is a classic Racist. He views the world through the prism of race, he is a Racist.

DSchoen on April 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM

FU O’Donnell, for even insinuating that a tea party gathering is some sort of anti-black movement!!

ToddonCapeCod on April 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM

The tall young man standing on the ledge, wearing a yellow Gadsen flag shirt and waving a sign in the background is my son.

The guy in the dark jacket with dark hair in the center of the background is Byron York, btw. I talked to him a bit and thanked him for his work. Nice guy.

g8trman307 on April 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM

If Andrew Sullivan keeps squeezing his eyes tightly shut, he can continue to pretend that plans like Paul Ryan’s “Roadmap” haven’t been offered.

But that’s precisely what it is… pretending. His refusal to look at them does not mean that they do not exist.

I’ll consider taking Andrew Sullivan seriously when his statements actually mesh with reality instead of directly and blatantly contradicting it.

In other words, when he stops lying.

VekTor on April 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM