Palin: We like it, Mr. President!

posted at 2:20 pm on April 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Earlier this week, Barack Obama offered a strange rhetorical construct about the military dominance built by the US that made state-on-state attacks on America unthinkable for over 60 years.  He told an audience, “Whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower,” suggesting that military dominance is somehow a negative.  Sarah Palin finishes off the week with a commentary about this odd gripe about success, and wonders whether Obama sees a strong America as a good thing at all:

Whether we like it or not? Most Americans do like it. America’s military may be one of the greatest forces for good the world has ever seen, liberating countless millions from tyranny, slavery, and oppression over the last 234 years. As a dominant superpower, the United States has won wars hot and cold; our military has advanced the cause of freedom in Iraq and Afghanistan and kept authoritarian powers like Russian and China in check.

It is in America’s and the world’s interests for our country to remain a dominant military superpower, but under our great country’s new leadership that dominance seems to be slipping away. President Obama has ended production of the F-22, the most advanced fighter jet this country has ever built. He’s gutted our missile defense program by eliminating shield resources in strategic places including Alaska. And he’s ended the program to build a new generation of nuclear weapons that would have ensured the reliability of our nuclear deterrent well into the future. All this is in the context of the country’s unsustainable debt that could further limit defense spending.

To some extent, one could argue this as a difference in viewpoints and definitions. The Left likes to argue that strength comes from internal stability and equitable distribution of resources. They dislike the idea of military strength, partly because of a natural tendency towards pacifism and the class-warfare conflict that they see as the primal conflict of the West, but also because of the money it takes to maintain that military dominance. That antipathy towards military strength certainly explains a “whether we like it or not” attitude towards our superpower status.

However, we live in a dangerous world. If the entire world was peopled by legitimate democracies that respected property rights, we wouldn’t need a military at all. If tyrannies and kleptocrats only controlled a handful of nations, we wouldn’t need overwhelming force. The truth is that the enlightened republics are far outnumbered by dangerous nations, and that means we have to remain vigilant for symmetrical and asymmetrical threats. If we allow our military dominance to pass, we will find it much more expensive to acquire later, and perhaps too late to keep us safe from the threats coming in the 21st century.

Obama appears to have put the US on a path that dismantles our advantage. Palin’s correct in that assessment, and we will soon see whether that means putting the US at the mercy of our adversaries.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

The Palin…it burns!! it burrrrrnnnnns!!

DrAllecon on April 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

I don’t know if she’s electable but she certainly is like nails on the chalkboard to a lot of troublesome folks. So it’s great that she’s out there throwin’ the chin music, unafraid.
It’s shameful that there aren’t more men on the Right as politically fearless. I think that is a real concern down the road.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

God, I love Sarah!
Keep choppin’ em off and feedin’ em to him Sarah!

The Other Michelle on April 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

That’s been a complaint of mine for a long time now. People like DeMint certainly do their part, and recently Ryan, but there just aren’t enough of them. People denegrate Palin, but she’s the only consistnatly calling out the administration. If more people on our side would, and if they did it earlier, we might have been able to stop the Health Care Takeover bill.

Now there aren’t even enough Republican men willing to seriously talk about repealing it.

We need more guts and bigger mouths from our side of the aisle.

DrAllecon on April 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM

I registered in 2002

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I hate to tell you this, but if you’re talking about registering at Hot Air, it was not in existence in 2002.

Hot Air wasn’t launched until April 24, 2006.

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM

I can’t believe you didn’t even bother to check out the archives to check out when the blog began.

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM

We need more guts and bigger mouths from our side of the aisle.

DrAllecon on April 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Agreed on the guts point, and I also like what I’ve seen of DeMint.
A steady stream of inspiring talking points from someone with large brass political gonads is what we’re going to need, and so far SP is filling that role.
I’ll feel a lot better when she’s not the only one out there and a few others step up, male or female. I also like what I’ve seen and heard from Michelle Bachman, especially seen.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:40 PM

When you put it like that…even I had to laugh.

But, no, we dont have our names on our jerseys. They are basically t-shirts and shorts and we are talking about an 8-game season…and we dont even keep score (officially).

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 9:46 PM

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I called her on that immediately without citing the dates, and got no response.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I called her on that immediately without citing the dates, and got no response.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I’m not surprised. I missed your comment–I suppose because I was so shocked at the claim.

I knew HA was not that old, and went back to look at the dates.

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:52 PM

He keeps handing it to her.

AnninCA on April 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM

He keeps handing it to her.

AnninCA on April 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM

OK, I’ll bite. Huh?

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Hadn’t thought of that. I think s/he’s TheWall/etc, and I believe that there’s a bunch of kids running around with FlickeringFlame on their jerseys like I believe that Obama is really really interested in listening to anything that isn’t his own voice.

But hey, if it is The Wall/ad infinitum it will only be a matter of time before he can’t help himself and his Palin hate causes him to drop a few “trailer park” bombs and he’s gone again. If not, he’s at least a new Palin-hating guy to break up the monotony of the other Palin-hating guys around here.

DrAllecon on April 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I’m with you, Dr. A!
What a shame about BPD–I kinda liked his comments.
F.F.’s…not so much.

Jenfidel on April 16, 2010 at 10:06 PM

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Michelle keeps asking if the Republicans have the balls.

I don’t know. Sometimes I’m afraid that they don’t.

disa on April 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I registered in 2002

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Hot Air wasn’t launched until April 24, 2006.

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Your move, The Wall.

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Michelle keeps asking if the Republicans have the balls.

I don’t know. Sometimes I’m afraid that they don’t.

disa on April 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I wish I had an argument for you. Maybe the TP’ers will come up with someone new. But hoping to be pleasantly surprised is not a viable strategy.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 10:29 PM

CUDA

Metro on April 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Your move, The Wall.

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Whatever “it” is, it ain’t too freakin’ bright.
I’m leaning towards flickeringfemale thoough.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Hot Air wasn’t launched until April 24, 2006.

INC on April 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM
Your move, The Wall.

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I know there was no HotAir in 2002…it was a JOKE, duder.

Peeps keep asking me questions like I am on trial and they are trying to trip me up. So, I decided I aint playing their games cuz I feel the heat…of a flickering flame.

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Man, you are the lamest dummy I’ve ever seen on any thread anywhere. You’re probably not even an adult.
Is this what it’s come to for Sacklessrod’s trolls?
Yikes! You definitely aren’t even be making minimum wage.
This is a riot! Jeesh.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM

You definitely aren’t even be making minimum wage.

You are correct. I aint even be making mimimum wage.

However, I can speak and write in English, unlike you.

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Their not good enough to be trolls. Their a cross between a drooling mental midget and a troll== Trool.

jainphx on April 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

However, I can speak and write in English, unlike you.

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 11:06 PM

That was a joke Doofuss. But there are plenty of better ways to make money. I would lodge a complaint to the authorities about the wage issue however.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Trool.

jainphx on April 16, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Nice.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM

That was a joke Doofuss

The proper spelling is “doofus”. Please make a note of it.

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

The proper spelling is “doofus”. Please make a note of it.

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Correction, that was how they spelled it in in 2002.
You know in the beginning, when you first started posting here?

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Either way the Palin thing is like kryptonite to “it” and Oliar.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM

The Palin…it burns!! it burrrrrnnnnns!!

DrAllecon on April 16, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Love this, DrA!

Jenfidel on April 16, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Maybe the reason the republicans don’t have the balls is that they’re not as opposed to Obama’s plans as they pretend to be. I believe it is a two headed monster. The government exists outside the world of the American people. The republicans see us as existing for them to tax just as the democrats do. I don’t think the republicans give a damn about the taxes and the debt. It provides them the opportunity to claim the need for taxes on this, and taxes on that, and taxes on the other thing. And now Obama’s debt is their alibi.

deewhybee on April 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Maybe the reason the Progressive republicans don’t have the balls is that they’re not as opposed to Obama’s plans as they pretend to be. I believe it is a two headed monster. The government exists outside the world of the American people. The Progressive republicans see us as existing for them to tax just as All the democrats do. I don’t think the Progressive republicans give a damn about the taxes and the debt. It provides them the opportunity to claim the need for taxes on this, and taxes on that, and taxes on the other thing. And now Obama’s debt is their alibi.

deewhybee on April 17, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Fixed it for ya :o)

IowaWoman on April 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM

WELL PERRY SAYS HE’S NOT RUNNING FOR PRES…

And with this OBAMACONOMY staring us in the face the skeletal remains of Warren Harding might be able to defeat the Caliph in 2012.

PappyD61 on April 18, 2010 at 12:38 AM

It’s not just people who work and actually pay taxes that are getting ticked off, it’s the Libtard power elite and the Uncle Sam teat suckers as well.

Must be a bitter pill to swallow seeing their entire Hope and Change house of cards collapsing with their God’s poll numbers dumpster diving.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Idiots.

Dr. ZhivBlago on April 18, 2010 at 1:44 AM

As far as I know, pacifists have always been the first to fall during violent conflicts between 2 entities.
Now personally, I own weapons for a variety of reasons, like hunting, having to put down sick or dying animals, etc.
But at the end of the day, it’s very nice to know that if a violent criminal were come to visit my home,they would get a taste of their own medicine immediately & go home empty handed.
I personally like the fact that we have the strongest military in the world.
It means that other countries will be thinking twice before they try & molest us.
Pacifists are only able to flourish under peaceful conditions.
Those conitions are here now bcs of, not in spite of, our powerful military.

Badger40 on April 18, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Still reeling over ANSA employees not being allowed in where the Prez was. Who the hell was doing the cheering? Must have been hired cheer-ers

johnnyU on April 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM

oops NASA

johnnyU on April 18, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Sarah takes a hard charge to Obama, she shoots and scores…..ooops, I said “shoot” (h/t to Sarah)! ;p

Another epic takedown of The One by The Cuda! Palin Power – you betcha!

sarahpalinfan99 on April 18, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Whether we like it or not? I like it. I like it a lot.

skydaddy on April 19, 2010 at 3:20 PM