Oh my: McCain 47, Hayworth 42

posted at 4:47 pm on April 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Artist Formerly Known As Maverick soon to be Artist Formerly Known As Senator.”

McCain has been losing ground since January when he picked up 53% of the potential GOP Primary vote and Hayworth had only 31% support. Last month, the longtime senator and 2008 GOP presidential candidate earned 48% of the vote, while 41% of likely primary voters supported his challenger.

Eighty-six percent (86%) of GOP Primary voters in Arizona think the recently-passed national health care bill should be repealed, with 78% who strongly favor repeal. Fifty percent (50%) of those who strongly favor repeal support Hayworth; 41% of those voters support McCain.

Eighty percent (80%) of primary voters say their own views on the major issues of the day are closer to the views of the average Tea Party member than to those of President Obama. Forty-two percent (42%) of those voters back McCain, while 49% support Hayworth. Among the 10% of primary voters who say their views are closer to the president’s, McCain earns 68% of the vote, Hayworth 16%.

Interestingly, only nine percent of primary voters view McCain “very unfavorably” compared to 18 percent who feel that way about Hayworth; you’d think ol’ Mav would be at least equal in that category given how the base loathes him. I’m not sure how to reconcile these results with dKos’s poll from a few weeks ago showing McCain with a comfortable 15-point lead, though. Could be simple error on Kos’s part, or it could be that McCain caught a bounce from Palin’s appearances on the trail which Kos was able to measure but which dissipated by the time Rasmussen conducted this latest survey. (Both polls were of likely voters.) Either way, barring some catastrophic screw-up by Hayworth, looks like this’ll be a race to the bitter end, which means we can expect plenty more cynically delicious red meat like this from Maverick all the way up to the primary. Why, by the time August rolls around, I wouldn’t be surprised to find him voting to the right of Jim DeMint.

Exit question: None of us wants to contemplate it, but contemplate it we must. If McCain loses a squeaker to Hayworth, does he borrow a page from his pal Joe Liebs and run in the general election as an independent? Arizona’s a photo negative of Connecticut: The Democratic opposition will be largely token (both McCain and Hayworth lead Rodney Glassman by 20 points in hypothetical match-ups), so if Maverick runs as an indie, Democratic voters may have to make a hard choice and shift to supporting him in the interest of defeating Hayworth. The one big difference between that scenario and Lieberman’s run, of course, is that McCain was the other party’s presidential nominee. Can Arizona Dems put aside ill will from the 2008 election in order to stop J.D.? And will Sarahcuda hit the trail for an independent Maverick if he follows Joementum’s lead? Can’t wait to blog all this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d like McCain to lose just on the basis of his backroom deal with Huckabee in the 2008 West Virginia Primaries in which they agreed to rob Romney of winning that state.

And as a result of that, we got lame McCain for the front runner in 2008. And thanks to McCain, we have Obama for President.

I say we send McCain home.

Conservative Samizdat on April 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Capt`n Queegs McCain`s Mutiny continues,uninterrupted!!

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Linky…

Seven Percent Solution on April 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I

t isn’t so much voting FOR Hayworth as the important thing for States’ Rights and for Constitutional Rights is to vote AGAINST McCain

maverick muse on April 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

It is a shame it has come to that, but you are 100% right.

fourdeucer on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Hayworth is not Rubio, not at all. This might be like jumping from the frying pan to the fire. Hayworth got in trouble with Abramoff, he was a big spender..he has baggage, keep that in mind.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

When McCain says he’s not a Maverick I have to believe him. Let’s see…there was Bret, Bart, Beau and Brent Maverick. I don’t remember Badtemperedaislecrossingdoofus Maverick in that seris at all.

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Conservative Samizdat on April 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM

No, you got McCain because he won the primary, and one of the reasons he won was that people were too busy with the infighting, and the backstabbing and the kvetching to actually get behind someone else in a unified way…and then when McCain won, they blamed him, they blamed socalled open primaries, they blamed the media…they blamed everyone but themselves.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:03 PM

seris = series.
“Preview is your friend”

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Terrye on April 16, 2010

By the time the primaries made it to Indiana, the choice had already been made and my candidate(s) had dropped out. We need a better primary system or we will end up with McCain, version 2.0 (Romney).

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Gotta be careful with delicate crystal. Might break if you question its owner.

MadisonConservative on April 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Bull Meet China Shop.

portlandon on April 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

The Abramoff story has more validity than the Keating story?

Eren on April 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM

If McCain runs as an indie it would be a better fit for him. Hawkish foreign policy and a squish on domestic.

Maybe once he’s out of the party he wouldn’t be so bold to constantly stick his finger in republican’s eyes. He might actually be nice to republicans once he’s on the outside, and maybe for one time in his life be critical of a democrat.

veni vidi vici on April 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM

SKYFOX:

I am in Indiana too, and I know what you mean, but the same system that picked Reagan, picked McCain. Certain conservatives just do not want to admit it is all. Just like they don’t want to admit it when they hear that McCain is admired by the vast majority of rank and file Republicans.

I just want to see Obama stopped, at the very least slowed down and I would hate to see conservatives help him by electing people in primaries who can not win in a general election. This year will be good for conservatives and it might well be that no matter who wins the primary in Arizona, the Rs will keep the state..but I am not so sure about Kentucky. So right now, we need to keep the bigger picture in mind. And Hayworth is just not all that reliable.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The Abramoff story has more validity than the Keating story?

Eren on April 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Yes, it does. For one thing, McCain was totally exonerated, whereas Hayworth just lucked out and avoided real trouble. But the whole money thing was still there. It is one the reasons he lost his last election…and he had a reputation for pork and stuff like that and whatever you say about McCain, the man never asked for or got an earmark. I am just saying that Hayworth is not a fresh faced young man with a sterling reputation, he is not a Marco Rubio.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:15 PM

And Hayworth is just not all that reliable.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

And McCain is???

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Can’t wait to blog all this.

Can’t wait to vote for JD.

TexAz on April 16, 2010 at 6:31 PM

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:22 PMSKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM

Yeah, you can rely on him to get conservative in election years and screw Arizona the rest of the time.

Shay on April 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM

JD Hayworth is a crook and a birther.

Chudi on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

So, Troll, you weren’t able to supply a cite for your allegations, eh?

Didn’t think so!

Jimnospin on April 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Alternate headline: “Conartist Formerly Known As Maverick soon to be Conartist Formerly Known As Senator.”

MB4 on April 16, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Do you remember the sweep of your youthful deeds
The sound of them strumming the sky?
But now when I listen, the melody’s changed
Your words only whisper goodbye
I don’t want to morn John, when I think of you
But now when you speak, I do

PercyB on April 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Even if all the negatives about JD were true, which I doubt they are, he is light years ahead of McCain in how he views regular Americans. Johnny Mac has constantly told us to shut the heck up and go away. I do not see JD doing that.

I hope JD wins.

freeus on April 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

freeus on April 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

During the Comprehensive Amnesty clusterfark of 2008 I sent numerous thoughtful itemized e-mails to both Kyl and McCain.

Kyl’s replies were thoughtful and responded to my points very respectfully (I’d almost bet money that they were individually written) while McCain in essence told me to STFU.

Like I told the troll above, I got to meet JD yesterday at the TP rally and he’s the real deal. Much more sincere than on his former radio show, which is why I think some don’t like him because he was purposely outrageous sometimes for ratings sake.

Jimnospin on April 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Kos also has Obama at 55% or something ridiculous like that. You might as well ask Obama himself to run polls, they’ll be as informative.

angryed on April 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I cannot believe I just read that.

Need I remind you of amnesty, McCain-Feingold, anti-torture, “Obama is a good man”, support for cap’n’tax, Gang of 14.

McCain may have an R next to his name but his voting record is straight up “D”.

Why is it so hard for you people to understand this?

angryed on April 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Wait for the financial regulatory reform….when he shows his TRUE maverick maverickness…..

HornetSting on April 16, 2010 at 7:17 PM

McCain is a hero. He belongs where he is.

Narutoboy on April 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

recovering Dem and Tea Party Patriot in AZ here. I voted MAC/Palin in 08, and I went to see MAC with Scott Brown (to see Brown) snd went to see MAC with Sarah (to see Sarah).

I hooted for MAC, polite it was his gig, and I know JD can be a clown, he used to be my CongressCritter here in AZ-05, but if I had a vote in the GOP primary I would vote JD fer shure.

MAC cannot be trusted not to ‘work honorably’ with the loons in Congress right now, by loons I mean my party of 24 yrs, lol.

I can easily see MAC soing cap and tax and immigration amnesty.

We know we need someone to back up sheriff joe, holder and Justice and DHS will not help us with the border.

Hopefully JD will win the primary and MAC will retire

if MAC runs as an indy, I for one AZ Dem will still be voting JD, and JD can hit him with amnesty and cap and trade, all we AZ voters know how MAC is on that, a squishy Dem in GOP clothing..

ginaswo on April 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM

At least McCain is willing to give his own money freely to charity and much more so than Biden or Obama. OF course Bush did as well.

CWforFreedom on April 16, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Kos
angryed on April 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM

You have to chuckle. They should be embarrassed.

CWforFreedom on April 16, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Hayworth is a crook…you can see it in his eyes.

equanimous on April 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM

angryed on April 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Consider the source. She never misses a chance to rag on JD, knowing absolutely nothing about him or Arizona.

Shay on April 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM

@ equanimous on April 16, 2010 at 7:41 PM

LMAO! I saw Hayworth yesterday, in person, and I couldn’t disagree with you more.

To those of you non-Arizonans who aren’t aware of it, this primary is not until August. So, those of you who are writing off JD better consider that…

I’d love to see proof of the allegation that JD is a crook. I’ve seen it alleged several times by people here, but I’ve yet to see any evidence for it. He is no more a crook than McCain is.

JannyMae on April 16, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Jimnospin on April 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I had the same experiences with both Kyl and McCain with emails. I also got a letter in the (snail) mail from Kyl, addressing my concerns. I still disagreed with him about the bill, but his arguments were well thought out. The responses from McCain were basically form letter (email) “I have heard your concerns,” BS, and little else.

I held my nose and voted for McCain the last time he ran for senate, and for president in ’08. I really don’t want to have to do that again this fall. JD is the real deal.

JannyMae on April 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM

McCain is a hero. He belongs where he is.

Narutoboy on April 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Damn straight.

Arizona is a wonderful place to retire in. And no one deserves that more than John McCain does.

logis on April 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM

McCain has been fundamentally wrong on 2 of the biggest legislative issues yet to come, illegal amnisty and cap and tax. What gurantee do we have that McCain will now oppose these issues which he has supported in the past?

I don’t want bi partisanship. I don’t want reaching across the fence. I want to defeat the Democrats and derail this President’s agenda. This is job number one and the most important agenda for this nation. Who are we more likely to count on as a soldier in this fight, McCain or JD?

If a goat could be counted on to vote naaay on these twin issues and if we have no such assurance from Mav, I’d vote for the goat.

R Square on April 16, 2010 at 8:14 PM

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM
——————-
Linky…

Seven Percent Solution on April 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Seven Percent Solution: Spinning steel balls!:)

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Yahall are missing the big picture.
Ridding America of McNasty may gine Gramnesty pause…

SERFER62 on April 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

With all of the stunts that Lindsey Graham has been pulling lately, Graham is hurting McCain by refreshing memories of the “we love Democrats”, Mavericky duo.

mobydutch on April 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hayworth may have had Abramoff, but McCain had Keating5. Both were cleared.

He was only a big spender, because he was willing to back Bush’s policies. He made the mistake of being a team player. He’s already said he won’t do that again. He’ll just vote conscience. I believe him, because the GOP screwed him in his House district once already.

Tim Burton on April 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Jimnospin on April 16, 2010 at 7:06 PM

As I said in another post, I used to be taken up to JD’s and McCain’s church. McCain never had time for us inner-city teens, but JD would come over and spend time talking to us about sports, specifically high school sports. He was the most down to earth guy, this was at a time, when he was a TV anchor for sports and could easily have brushed us off, because he wasn’t running for politics at the time.

Tim Burton on April 16, 2010 at 8:56 PM

McCain cannot legally run as an Independent in AZ if he runs in the Republican primary. Unlike CT, we have a law against that here.

azcop on April 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM

By the way, I know Rodney Glassman. He is a tool who has no integrity and only about 2 years ago begged me to be his friend when I told him he was a liberal who offered nothing to the people of AZ.

Glassman had been exploring a Senate race for oh about 9 months in order to avoid Arizona’s resign to run laws and has helped run Tucson into the ground. He would lose by 25 pts to either Hayworth or McCain. Lets just hope he loses to Hayworth.

azcop on April 16, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Wonder how widespread the contempt factor is for pollsters. There must be some skew in that.

Feedie on April 16, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Yahall are missing the big picture.
Ridding America of McNasty may gine Gramnesty pause…

SERFER62 on April 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Yes, this makes sense to me.

OT: Just saw on Drudge that AZ will allow concealed carry without a permit.

Mirimichi on April 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

THOUGH J.D. IS NOT PERFECT…..he is:

1. NOT MCCAIN.

2. A CHANCE TO SEND A RINO HOME TO A THINK-TANK.

3. A CHANCE TO SEND A MESSAGE TO THE GOP/RINO/D.C. BUNCH.

4. A CHANCE TO REALLY GET AN ADVOCATE FOR SHUTTING THE BORDER TO ILLEGALS.

Imperfect Hayworth……..bring down the Mav “former mav”!!

PappyD61 on April 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Yahall are missing the big picture. It isn’t how bad JD is, its getting rid of a dinasor RINO and showing other RINOs that they are in danger no matter what their hero status WAS. Ridding America of McNasty may gine Gramnesty pause…
SERFER62 on April 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Yes, this makes sense to me.
Mirimichi on April 16, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Same here. Don’t get me wrong; if somebody shows up with pictures of Hayworth in bed with a live boy or dead hooker, I’ll be the first to jump on McCain’s bandwagon.

But, failing that, I really don’t see the problem here.

logis on April 16, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Isn’t the winner of the GOP Primary the winner of the seat in AZ?

So anybody who says anything to disagree with you people here is a troll, right? I’m pretty sure i joined this site before most of you so just knock off the troll nonsense.

JD Hayworth is a crook and a birther. He cannot win the general election. The media are just waiting with stuff to unload on the guy. I can’t even believe people are thinking seriously of voting for this crook.

Chudi on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

PappyD61 on April 16, 2010 at 11:37 PM

If Hayworth wins the primary, all the Dims have to do is run 11 billion Jack Abramoff ads.

Speedwagon82 on April 17, 2010 at 1:58 AM

let them run Abramoff adds, wont do no good. do you realize we are talking about $2000.00 here. He tried to give it back, but the Indian tribe that Abramoff was a lobbyist for, told J.D. to keep it. hell McCain took 10x that amount. All that call J.D. a crook should either prove it or shut the hell up and allow us here in Arizona to sort it all out. McCain is a back stabber and holds grudges, don’t forget that he was down the line opposed to anything Bush was for. You all do remember he voted against all the tax cuts, not once but twice. He spouted Demoncrapic talking points on Iraq about needing 400,000.00 more troops, then when the surge happened, he took credit for it. All and all McCain is a dispicable human being and a worse Senator.

jainphx on April 17, 2010 at 9:51 PM

See this is the problem , McCain is just like romney no good, as a conservative that is tired of all this crap, i will just stock up and not vote at all if romney is the candidate and if mccain is reelected that should tell you that we have no say no matter what. This country is becoming something that i do not recognize. So do what you want but you can not win with these idiots, they should just be independents or dems.

American on April 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM