Crist: I’ll consider running as an independent “later on”

posted at 5:23 pm on April 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

May I quote? March 28, 2010:

WALLACE: So are you ruling out that you will file as an independent by the April 30th deadline?

CRIST: That’s right. That’s right. I’m running as a Republican.

WALLACE: You will run not for a governor — you’ll run for Senate, and you will run as a — in the Republican primary.

CRIST: Chris, I’m running for the United States Senate. I know that our country needs help. I’m running as a Republican. This man to my left is a friend but I hope to defeat him on August the 24th, and I would encourage every Florida Republican to get out and vote.

WALLACE: Will you support the winner of the GOP primary, whether it’s you or Marco Rubio?

CRIST: Of course I will. Of course I will. But I think before that decision is made, people–

WALLACE: Well, I’m going to get — I’m going to — I’ll give you an opportunity for a final statement. I just want to say, though, you are saying you are going to run in the Republican primary for the U.S. Senate. You will not run on the no party affiliation line.

CRIST: That’s right. That’s right. That’s what I’m saying.

Nineteen days later, it’s come to this:

A day after vetoing a contentious teacher tenure bill in Tallahassee, Gov. Charlie Crist basked in the warm embrace of Miami-Dade educators and deflected questions about leaving the Republican party.

“I’m not thinking about that today,” Crist told reporters at Alonzo and Tracy Mourning Senior High School in North Miami. “We’ll look at that later on,” Crist said of running for the U.S. Senate as an independent against Republican Marco Rubio.

Are you considering it? “No, not really,” Crist said.

The hot rumor this morning was that he’d announce he’s switching as early as today, but the optics of doing that so soon after yesterday’s veto convinced him otherwise, I guess. In fact, according to NBC, he’s reportedly considering taking the big A’s advice and dropping out soon with an eye to running again in two years against Bill Nelson. That would be the smart play, as he’d go from party villain to hero overnight by not complicating things for Rubio. 2012 may also be better suited than this year to a centrist Republican since Obama will be at the top of the ticket and Democratic turnout will be vastly higher. If he makes nice with the base now by supporting Rubio, he’ll win some goodwill and position himself as the presumptive nominee next time. Unless, of course, there’s another Rubio lurking somewhere down there…

In other Florida news, just a single day after Crist’s campaign totally imploded, Romney’s finally hopped aboard the Marco express. (Hucakbee endorsed Rubio last year.) Team Romney is spinning the timing as aimed at doing the most possible damage to Crist, but does anyone believe that? Mitt’s endorsement isn’t going to be some game-changer; as John Miller says, this smells like a bandwagon move made only after there was no longer any political risk to endorsing Rubio. Which, incidentally, isn’t the first time Romney held off on backing a conservative darling who didn’t (yet) have the blessing of the party’s establishment. Way to take a stand, Mitt.

Comments

HotAir .. the all Crist all the time network.

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Jumping into the water when its finally safe. what courage.///

ted c on April 16, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Will this guy just go away? Please? Can this non story be done already? Please?

FireBlogger on April 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM

And the NRSC endorsed Crist, didn’t they?

Sounds like Scozzafava all over again.

The Monster on April 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Romney is really bold and daring./

INC on April 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM

If Mitt has lost AP, then he’s really hurtin’….

ted c on April 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM

OT -

Steele/RNC contributing money to Sharpton’s campaign coffers to speak at his event.

rayra on April 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM

or not so OT after all, considering it’s another RINO topic.

‘The RNC is a Big Tent’ … wherein our nation’s future is being auctioned away.

rayra on April 16, 2010 at 5:28 PM

“Hey, look everyone, Marco Rubio is running for Senate! I think we should support him!!!”

/romney

day late and dollar short.

ted c on April 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM

HotAir .. the all Crist all the time network.

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Too true…

nyx on April 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Well, few expected better from Crist.But it feels surreal to talk about this guys politics and ethics and potential mendacities. I sort of hear it like this: “The orange guy says he won’t run as an independent.” “Now the orange guy might be Obamaing his word.” Why is this guy orange in the first place? People aren’t orange. I need closure on that, first.

Splunge on April 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Please, both Crist and Romney — go crawl under some rock and stay there.

Daggett on April 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Please, both Crist and Romney — go crawl under some rock and stay there.

Daggett on April 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I second the motion.

Tasha on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

HH

Weight of Glory on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Crist and McCain should hop on the Straight Talk Express and get lost.

fourdeucer on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

HotAir .. the all Crist all the time network.

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

No it’s not.

Weight of Glory on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

The turncoat act worked out so well for Specter, so I see no problem. The VETO of the education bill showed the RINOs colors.

tarpon on April 16, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Mitt Romney’s political decisions: Stick your finger in the wind to make sure it is not blowing a hurricane levels. But once someone else tell you that it is, test it one more time and then commit when a decision is no longer in doubt. That takes a lot of courage.

technopeasant on April 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Romney just announced that he was endorsing Teddy Roosevelt as well.

Kasper Hauser on April 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I have been all for the idea of backing Gov. Crist for Sen. Nelson’s seat but good golly this man has terrible instincts. I don’t know if there is another Mr. Rubio in Florida but we already have plenty like Gov. Crist in D.C. now.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Right on, Mitt. Get that Crist punk back for dissing you when you couldve saved the country from Obama. Just think about it…if dummys like Crist and Ahnold hadnt gotten behind Megan’s daddy, Mitt wouldve won which wouldve meant:

1) No Obama

2) No Palin.

What a wonderful wonderful world it wouldve been.

Hey, THANKS CRIST!!!!

FlickeringFlame on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Crist and McCain and Romney should hop on the Straight Talk Express and get lost.

fourdeucer on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

FIFY

davek70 on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Such a sad Orange Julius. Boo Hoo.

Key West Reader on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

technopeasant on April 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Romney is becoming the John Kerry of the GOP. (without the anti-Americanism of course).

portlandon on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

HotAir .. the all Crist all the time network.

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

No it’s not.

Weight of Glory on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

That’s because it’s the all SARAH PALIN!!! network, all the time because AP knows we like to kick each other in the nuts over her.

fiatboomer on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

technopeasant on April 16, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Don’t worry. Nobody’s going to go for Mittens in the primary for POTUS. In 2007 we let the MSM pick our GOP candidates. In 2011? Ain’t gonna happen.

Key West Reader on April 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Thanks for the endorsement…but stay away Mitt.

right2bright on April 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Splunge on April 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

The few that joke about Gov. Crist being orange does not erase the disaster of Gov. Crist’s campaign or his recent decisions as governor.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Romney just announced that he was endorsing Teddy Roosevelt as well.

Heheh.

Allahpundit on April 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

davek70 on April 16, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Much better.

fourdeucer on April 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Crist is going to lose this race.

If he was smart, he would attempt to make good so that he can call in some favors later on.

But like Trey Grayson in Kentucky, he appears to want to go down by lighting the house on fire instead.

Spathi on April 16, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Are you in Florida?

Key West Reader on April 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Fair-weather Romney-Come-Lately.

maverick muse on April 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Romney just announced that he was endorsing Teddy Roosevelt as well.

Heheh.

Allahpundit on April 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Hater.

DaydreamBeliever on April 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Gov. Crist if you run as a independent after all that you have said about not doing it then Gov. you would not only be a looser but a liar.

thmcbb on April 16, 2010 at 5:47 PM

For Immediate Release:

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney announced today that he fully backs the candidacy of Governor Ronald Reagan in the 1980 presidential election.

“By taking this bold step, Governor Romney feels he is helping deliver the final blow against President Carter and his failed policies,” spokesman John Smith said.

amerpundit on April 16, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Carpetbagger Hoffman didn’t deserved to be endorsed.

Falz on April 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Crist and McCain should hop on the Straight Talk Express and get lost.

fourdeucer on April 16, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Dumbfounding “Straight Talk”, McCain would have nothing to say.

maverick muse on April 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM

HotAir .. the all Crist all the time network.

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

eye roll

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I’m glad Hoffman is taking another shot at election. Fred Thompson was one of his earliest endorsers strictly on PLATFORM.

maverick muse on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Does anyone remember when Rubio was down 25 points to Crist and there were rumors he was going to drop out?

Kind of reminds me of the narrative of Sarah Palin being “unelectable” made in the opening minutes of the game.

Moral of the story: don’t make premature judgments in the first quarter. Yes, follow the trends but don’t dismiss anybody so early in the game.

technopeasant on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Key West Reader on April 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Yep! St. Johns County.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I’m convinced HA is damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

I really am. No matter what, there is some tool, or cadre of tools, kvetching about something.

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

No, not really he says. I heard Crist was supposed to announce as an Independent today. Maybe the whole thing is just talk. Maybe we should just forget about all the speculation and wait and see what happens.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Anyway, I’m gonna sing my Crist song:

Oompa, loompa,
Duple-dee dawesome,
Crist is losing
Which is to-ta-lly awesome

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Sheesh, you make it sound as if Crist went back on his word or something. He said he wouldn’t run as independent. He’s still not running independent. And for him to say he’s not thinking about it “right now” doesn’t mean a thing.

The end of the month will come and go, and Crist will still be an (R). As I’ve said, I swear I will make a video and post it of me eating my hat if Crist runs as anything but a Republican.

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

technopeasant

Truly, if the voice were anyone else’s, you’d scream and pull out your hair. Listening to Palin with a microphone should be on the public loud speaker at GITMO with enemies combatants and enemies of the state.

maverick muse on April 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Prettyboy Wuss….

CynicalOptimist on April 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

FUBB

abobo on April 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

It’s the way of the world. As my father would say “people would bit*ch if you hung them with a silk rope”. Not quite sure how they could do that, being dead and all, but you know how old sayings go.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Can you cover it in peanut butter and birdseed?!

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I think the world is run on 75% speculation.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Please, both Crist and Romney — go crawl under some rock and stay there.

Daggett on April 16, 2010 at 5:30 PM

And take the “not-a-Maverick” with you.

farright on April 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I’m convinced HA is damned if they do, damned if they don’t.

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

blatantblue: You have an uncanny ability to connect the dots
BB,

jus sayin,hehe:)

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Romney would never endorse after 2008.

Hot Air is an anti-Romney site.

Falz on April 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Romney–supporter of original Coke over new Coke! Down with new Coke!

Enoxo on April 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Call me racist but I can’t vote for anybody who has skin that’s orange……, black, brown or yellow or white, I can vote for, but orange is just out!

Vntnrse on April 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Can you cover it in peanut butter and birdseed?!

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Then I’d have to hang it from a tree. And it would depend…smooth or chunky peanut butter?

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Vntnrse on April 16, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Vntnrse:What about the green glow,of the Lizard People vote!
—-:)

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

AP

I couldn’t agree more. Stay out of the way and get what you are dreaming of in two years, with little friction. Of course, he’s going to need to start acting like a Republican sometime soon, too, and vetoing Republican education reform bills is not exactly what I would recommend.

Jaibones on April 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM

He previously said, without equivocation, that he would run as a Republican and endorse the GOP nominee if he lost. Now he’s at:

From not a chance in hell to we’ll think about it later on. He’s moving towards Indy.

amerpundit on April 16, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Between not admitting RomneyCare is a bust and now this, Mitt is not going to get the nomination in 2012, IMO. He obviously is a ‘moderate’-still- and he won’t convert, despite the evidence. He is NOT what we need to get out of the mess we are in.

JimP on April 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Gov. Crist has to decide by the end of this month if he wants to run as an Independent.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Aren’t you kvetching about the kvetchers?

(ducks for cover)

portlandon on April 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Vntnrse on April 16, 2010

I have to believe that photo was doctored, or else Crist is on a 100% carrot diet.

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

One thing you have to give to Sarah Palin is that she has never performed such a calculated move like this Romney one. Like her, hater, still wondering about her, whomever she supports, she flat out supports. No finger in the wind with Governor Palin. I like it.

Now, let us see how this impacts Romney polling for next week. This cannot look good to those who are watching him. He totally bombed on BOR this week. Totally bombed. Somebody needs to make SURE we have a Romney poll next week.

freeus on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Granted. But if he’s going to go down, big time, as it appears, then that does leave room for jokes. Besides, this last veto is about 50% outrageous, 50% pure clown behavior, if it is, as it appears, a desperate and futile grab at some teacher’s union votes/money.

Splunge on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I imagine the Florida Orange Party represents a million people…….999,999 people involved in growing and distributing oranges…….and Gov. Orangecrist. What a friggin moron.

David in ATL on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

“We’ll look at that later on,”

When politicians start referring to themselves in the third person…

… it’s time to pack it in.

It reminds me of the French royalty…

“It pleases our royal majesties that you dine with us tonight…”

Seven Percent Solution on April 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Mitt Romney is the Bill Clinton of the Republican Party. A centrist, with no real convictions, who just really wants to be liked and popular. Who triangulates every move.

That said, Republicans just nominated John McCain, another centrist. Romney will be in the running.

People on hotair understimate how moderate the Republican primary voters are, especially when you add independents into the mix.

therightwinger on April 16, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Aren’t you kvetching about the kvetchers?

(ducks for cover)

portlandon on April 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM

totally

blatantblue on April 16, 2010 at 6:20 PM

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

A better PHOTO OF CRIST…I’m surprised AP or ED haven’t used it as a screencap for Crist threads…

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM

JetBoy on April 16, 2010

Ugly people throwing turtles. What’s not to love?

SKYFOX on April 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Splunge on April 16, 2010 at 6:11 PM

There is almost always room for fun. Besides I actually think Gov. Crist is doing something different, he looks less orange. I am sure the folks here aren’t the first to mention it. And they say the same about Rep. Boehner.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Allen West for the Senate 2012!!

milemarker2020 on April 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

And they say the same about Rep. Boehner.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Watch it, Munford ;)

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Way to take a stand, Mitt.
AP

WOW AP. I didn’t know you had it in ya.
+10

Amadeus on April 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 6:34 PM

At least I don’t think Rep. Boehner is comparable to Gov. Crist, but you have to admit they both get more than their fair share of orange jokes.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I love how Mitt saved this endorsement for days after the Crist campaign has it’s first good news. I’ve known for months Mitt was going to make sure his endorsement had the highest impact possible and this puts the nail in the coffin of Crist’s campaign right when it was looking like Crist might have some momentum to run as an independent. Go Mitt and Go Marco!

dnlchisholm on April 16, 2010 at 6:49 PM

All three members of the Fox panel at six said that Gov. Crist will go Independent. Considering the decisions he has been making lately I think it’s a safe bet.

Cindy Munford on April 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Be nice if Crist did drop out and waited for Nelson’s seat. But it isn’t happening. He’s definitely going Independent– you knew it when Connie Mack jumped ship. Mack is a loyal Republican and won’t play that game.

But I don’t see him winning as an Independent. Yeah, he’s got one poll on his side at this point. But he will have p*ssed off every Republican heavy hitter in the state, to include Jeb, and they will all go out of their way to cut him off at the knees. And don’t tell me Crist doesn’t have any dicey deals in his past that will suddenly come out. One of his major fundraisers is under investigation as it is.

Doesn’t say much for Crist’s instincts. He’s stepping all over his own crank.

entropent on April 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Way to take a stand, Mitt.

Romney’s feet are ALWAYS firmly placed in sand…

Gohawgs on April 16, 2010 at 8:48 PM

JetBoy on April 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM

lol! Turtle has a grin on his face! I think he’s happy to be away from anyone using too much tanning booth and sunless tan cream! That’s what turns you orange!

Vntnrse:What about the green glow,of the Lizard People vote!
—-:)

canopfor on April 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I like green people as long as they have a turtle shell and no sail on their head! ROFL!

8D

good one canopfor! I LOL’d!!!

Vntnrse on April 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM

As Sean Hannity says, please leave the infighting out of it this year, our country is at stake.

Romney is just fine, we need all hands on deck this election. Do you people realize how damaging it is to campaign against someone and then have to work with them for 6 years? Would you rather prove a point or be effective?

scotash on April 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Romney is just fine, we need all hands on deck this election.

scotash on April 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

After watching Romney explain, several times now, how nicely his stewardship of Obamacare would make massive government control acceptable, I find it impossible to support him.

Romney seems to think he can manage all of the individuals the masses from a benovelent office of the president.

Freddy on April 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM