Obama mocks tea partiers: You should thank me for cutting taxes

posted at 8:33 pm on April 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Dan Riehl, this may well be the single most obnoxious soundbite he’s uttered since his immortal bitter/clinger bon mot during the campaign. Which, if I’m not mistaken, also occurred at a fundraiser. Funny, the thoughts that bubble up when he’s among friends.

You’re welcome, America.

President Barack Obama said Thursday he’s amused by the anti-tax tea party protests that have been taking place around Tax Day.

Obama told a fundraiser in Miami that he’s cut taxes, contrary to the claims of protesters.

“You would think they’d be saying thank you,” he said.

At that, many in the crowd at the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts stood and yelled, “Thank you!”

Let’s see. For starters, he’s lying: He has raised some taxes, contrary to his campaign pledge two years ago. But more than that, he seems almost to be laughing at people for being concerned about deficits. Did we or did we not learn just last night that a majority of tea partiers think their taxes are fair? They’re not some fanatic “zero tax” movement, in other words. They’re willing to pay what they’re paying now; what they want is a government small enough to make ends meet with what they’re paying. By The One’s logic, if he lowered the top marginal income tax bracket to one percent, we should expect tea partiers to fall on their knees and shout hallelujah even though it would mean annual deficits many times the trillion-dollar leviathans we’re currently saddled with. Anyone think that would happen? Anyone except Obama not yet grasp that conservatives want fiscal responsibility, not lower taxes at any and all costs?

What’s most amazing about this is that everyone understands the feds will need to raise taxes, and soon, to try to put a dent in our Everest of liabilities. That was the entire point of Paul Volcker, Obama’s own advisor, whispering about a VAT a few weeks ago. Tax hikes are simply a fait accompli, due in no small part to The One’s own unprecedented spending, and we’d probably have them already if not for his political cowardice in refusing to demand them before his reelection bid. And yet here he is, actually patting himself on the back for being a tax-cutter. Unbelievable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Let’s not forget that prior to The One’s ascendancy, 38% of Americans paid no income taxes. Thanks to his “Making Work Pay tax cuts” that number is now at 49%. Why? Because he arranged it so people whose tax liability was below zero would still get a “refundable tax credit”. Under Bush (who cut taxes at all income levels!) tax credits were “non-refundable” meaning that if your liability was zero, you didn’t get the credit.

So yeah, many of his favored constituents are very grateful. They just don’t happen to be taxpayers.

Buy Danish on April 16, 2010 at 8:47 AM

O’Brien: What are your feelings towards Big Brother?

Winston Smith: I hate him.

O’Brien: You must love him. It is not enough to obey him. You must love him.

TugboatPhil on April 16, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Obama, FVCK YOU VERY MUCH!

BottomLine5 on April 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Obama lives in a world of his own making where realities that might conflict are simply not allowed. If he were able to deal with reality, he’d wake up screaming every day over what he’s attempting to create. Did he name any of these ‘tax’ cuts by the way?

jeanie on April 16, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Resignation is an option.

nyx on April 16, 2010 at 9:21 AM

The media is trying to sway people that using Hitlerian analogies in regards to President Zippy the Pinhead is just wrong. Here’s where I come in…

If anyone here has seen Hitler’s artwork, it’s generally a fairly decent work of architectural design, with the people in the work done in the size of ants. Psychologically that says a bit. Definitely showed what Adolph thought of humanity. President Zippy just did the same thing with the comment. It isn’t the American people that are great when they are given wide berth to produce and make things better when they have liberty. It is the government and the bureaucracy that is great and the “little” people should be thrilled with what the great government allows them to keep. Hey Choad, it’s our money the government is taking in the first place and you really do kind of work for US.

To get Himmlerian, it’s like the death camps. Heinrich: “You are a Jew. You are lucky to be working here, and lucky to be eating a piece of bread and some water to keep from starving and you owe it to us for your survival. And what nice tyrants we are as we allow all Jews that are Classical musicians to play beautiful music as we gas you en masse.”

This brainwashed Marxist tool can’t fathom that this is a truly center-right country and with the “most liberal Senator in the Senate” leading the way, it’s not a match made in Heaven for success. I for one can’t wait for the divorce papers in 2010 and 2012. They are what you call votes.

Hubris. That’s all I can add. Total hubris. He will be 10x more pissed than ol’ Jimmuh Cahtah, wondering what the hell happened in early November 2012.

adamsmith on April 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM

BottomLine5 on April 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

What he said

Real genius our President, directly p1ssing off 24% of the population while proving to another 26% you are liar. That makes 50%. That’s 50% fired up to vote. Nice going Einstien, lets have another chuckle session around the middle of November, kay?

JusDreamin on April 16, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Oliar taunts the aroused, nonmooching half of the electorate
that he is both lying to, and stealing from at an ever accelerating rate. This tends to back up the French analysis that he is nuts.
Now imagine the plotting that is going on worldwide against a weakened US with a crazy precedent, and November is looking
further away all the time.
A terrible chain of events is being enabled with this foolish and fraudulent community organizer in the white house.

ontherocks on April 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Is this like the comment “let them eat cake”?

Herb on April 16, 2010 at 9:28 AM

yesterday, there was a megalomaniac in Miami.

kingsjester on April 16, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Maybe his problem is this? He has cut or eliminated taxes for the part of the population who were often not terribly successful anyway. He seems to think this is because they didn’t have the opportunity but in many of these cases, it was because they didn’t have the talent, the smartz or the ambition or the innate drive. These are the same voters who probably don’t bother to vote either. It’s the ones with the drive who worked just as hard , if not harder, to get ahead and these do vote. These also get it when they see themselves exploited for the benefit of those who don’t ‘get it’. This is who obama has set up, however accidentally and without intention, to become the enemy. In political terms, at least, he has backed the wrong horse.

jeanie on April 16, 2010 at 9:34 AM

There has been some debate in certain news, radio, general discussion forums, etc… concerning the question of whether or not B.O.H. is anti-American eif his agenda is an overt effort to basically destroy the American way…bring down America as in the teachings(step by step instructions)of radical heros he studies. Alinsky, Cloward & Pivens, the list goes on & on. The answer is yes! He is following at least one of his promises(he lies about everything else)to “Fundamentally transform America”. He is in the process of collapsing our great nation from the inside out…And this is definately an “Inconvenient Truth”!! The man is evil… He has ZERO of the so called EMPATHY he speak

Dakotobol on April 16, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Since I am psychic, let me tell you all what Barry Obama is thinking right effing now:

“I am truth!!!”

Really Right on April 16, 2010 at 9:48 AM

THINK AGAIN SOETORO! YOU ARE THE LATEST PRODUCT OF THE INVISIBLE EMPIRE AND THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

BobAnthony on April 16, 2010 at 9:48 AM

He doesn’t get why we don’t get his greatness is what he meant to say. They really do think we are stupid.

Kissmygrits on April 16, 2010 at 9:52 AM

me me me me me me me me me me me me me
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I

I’m sorry… did he say anything else yesterday that I might have missed?

D2Boston on April 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Lucky us, think how much more condescending he could have been had he not brought a new civility to Washington politics.

scullymj on April 16, 2010 at 9:56 AM

1010 Days, 03 Hours, 32 Minutes, 40 Seconds.

rollthedice on April 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM

No, we don’t “understand” that, because it isn’t true. If they raise tax rates on anyone but the poor, it will only reduce revenues and increase those liabilities.

Count to 10 on April 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM

1010 Days, 03 Hours, 32 Minutes, 40 Seconds.

rollthedice on April 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I’m hoping for a shorter short-timer calendar. Maybe 500 days or less? If we take congress, maybe we can run him out of town on a rail.

BottomLine5 on April 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM

BottomLine5 on April 16, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Tarred and feathered would be icing on the cake.

Carter was someone my parents had to deal with but I remember the long gas lines. Clinton irritated me. I frigging cannot stand this Chavez wannabe.

rollthedice on April 16, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Obnoxious is the perfect word.

KittyLowrey on April 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM

How about Obamanoxious?

What two things have been done during his term? Porkulus and ObamaCare!

Congress appropriated $787 Billion to “stimulate jobs”, of which less than 1/3 has been spent, but our Government is paying interest on the whole sum to the ChiComs.

To fund ObamaCare, Medicare benefits will be cut by $50 Billion a year (forcing sick elderly people to pay more from their own pockets), and 16,000 IRS agents will collect fines from people without health insurance. That’s a tax cut?

Thanks a million!!!

Like the tellers to the bank robbers, “thank you for not killing us”.

We’ll thank you in November, Barry O !!!

Steve Z on April 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Even if Obama has cut payroll taxes by $5 or $10 dollars-per week (while raising many other taxes), why is He owed thanks?

For letting people keep their own money?

He should apologize that it was ever confiscated in the first place. And if paying taxes is as patriotic as they keep claiming, then isn’t it unpatriotic to cut them?

After all, if paying a little bit is a little patriotic, paying a lot is very patriotic–making rich people more patriotic than you! And paying 100% of your income to the government would therefore be the most patriotic of all, right? Bueller? Lenin? Anyone?

Noel on April 16, 2010 at 11:12 AM

He didn’t cut payroll taxes. It was a with-holding change.

lorien1973 on April 16, 2010 at 11:15 AM

lorien–Right you are–and many filers had to give it back yesterday because of a “glitch” in the code.

But HealthControl will be different.

Noel on April 16, 2010 at 11:18 AM

This man must sit on the highest mountain from Greek Methodogy with all the other Gods well below him. One must continue to hope that his view of the US will soon fade away.

joeconn547 on April 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Hey turd, I’m not amused

rjoco1 on April 16, 2010 at 11:30 AM

adamsmith on April 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Very well said about how Fascists view the rest of us both in historical context and currently.

Dear President Ice Cream,

Whether you like it or not; we are not going to thank you, we do not support your views of this country, and we along with 52% of the nation believe you are taking this nation down the path of socialism. Deal with it.

Does this President need to borrow Linus’ security blanket or what?

freeus on April 16, 2010 at 12:31 PM

With all due respect and reverence due the office of president…..kiss my overtaxed/overleveraged behind.

Huckabye-Romney on April 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Barack Obama is NO Bill Clinton he’s NOT even Hillary Clinton. Why did he go into Politics again? To Crash and Burn?
Someone is flying to close to the Sun.

Dr Evil on April 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Man, the truth really hurts you people. LOL

Constant Parrhesia on April 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

This just in…

Obama launches ‘Great Outdoors’ initiative
By Frederic J. Frommer
Associated Press
Updated: 04/16/2010 12:00:16 PM CDT

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama launched a new initiative today to conserve cherished land and encourage more Americans to enjoy the outdoors.

The president said the “America’s Great Outdoors” program will involve a series of listening sessions throughout the nation to solicit an array of ideas.

Obama said conservation is an integral part of economic growth, and that his new program also will create jobs. He promised that it won’t be a big federal program driven from Washington.

The initiative will be led by the heads of the Environmental Protection Agency, White House Council on Environmental Quality and departments of Agriculture and Interior. Obama is to receive a report by Nov. 15 outlining an action plan to both reconnect Americans to nature and enhance conservation efforts.

Eight departments and the White House Office of Management and Budget are to work with the initiative to “identify existing resources,” and to align policies to meet the initiative’s goals.

Obama made his remarks, alongside key department and agency heads, at a White House-sponsored “Conference on the Great Outdoors” at the Interior Department.

Goldy1 on April 16, 2010 at 1:17 PM

No thanks, today I;d rather say thank you to the late Daryl Gates. RIP. You were a great police chief and one of the first victims of the leftist race trade.

lonestar1 on April 16, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I try to stay informed but maybe I missed something. Where are those tax cuts? My payroll taxes have stayed the same, my sales tax is going up, my property tax went up. What taxes is he talking about?

SWChance on April 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Let’s see. For starters, he’s lying

No, he’s not. He said that he cut taxes, and he has.

About a third of the stimulus bill was tax cuts.

I mean, if you want to go after him for raising some little cigarette tax, fine. Go ahead. But for you to say that he didn’t cut any taxes is simply a lie.

I mean, really – do you consider yourself to be intellectually honest here? If you want to talk about your fears that taxes will be raised, okay – that’s fair game. If you want to talk about some minor sin tax that was raised, okay – cool.

But for you to have a discussion about taxes without even mentioning all the tax cuts Obama has signed into law is just laughably dishonest of you.

I try to go to conservative sites to get a wide range of opinions. But when I see so many pieces written that aren’t even willing to acknowledge the full picture, I wonder why I bother.

You could bring up everything – the massive tax cuts, the minor tax increases, and your fears of future tax increases – and make a case that, on balance, these changes will be a net negative for America. Why don’t you do that? Too hard? Afraid your argument might not be as strong? You believe that your readers prefer simplistic, one-sided propaganda spoon-fed to them? Why?

orange on April 16, 2010 at 1:59 PM

A sitting President openly mocking a ridiculing the citizenry.

Did you listen to the tone?

His arrogance is astounding.

Opposite Day on April 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hey “Orange”.

Take a look at the tax tables from the IRS from last year and this year. When Bush “cut taxes”, he CUT THE TAX RATE.

Obama has NOT CUT THE FEDERAL TAX RATE. PERIOD.

He gave folks who made less than 75K a “making work pay” ADDITIONAL REFUND (if you were owed money from too much withholding) and a CHECK if you didn’t owe any taxes at all.

That is not a tax cut. In the first example, it is an increased refund. In the second, it is welfare. Pure unadulterated wealth re-distribution.

But, come this year, my taxes go UP since he is repealing the Bush tax cuts, increasing my FICA taxes and increasing my capital gains taxes and eliminating many tax expenses.

The whole “95% of Americans received a “tax” break” is a ruse and parsing with the truth.

And if you want to count the “making work pay” ruse a “tax cut” , then what about the increase on cigarettes, cigars and gasoline he raised? Is that not a “tax increase”

Of course not, not in the world of liberals living under the cloud of the Obama unicorn rainbow fairy sugar dust

Opposite Day on April 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM

This is supposed to be the president of the “whole” country, yet day after day he derides about half of us. Never seen anything like it. The tea party people are middle class hard working people who are being taxed to death to pay for the leeches on society, and are fed up. I tend to agree with Sarkozy – I think Obama has a mental defect. He just comes up with new $—t every day. Now he’s going to be the president who sends someone to an asteroid? Where does he come up with this crap?

silvernana on April 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Opposite Day on April 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I never denied that there were some small tax increases, so I’m not sure what your point is. You are the only one denying something which is a plain fact, as reported by Politifact, among countless other organizations.

I can trust Politifact or I can trust “Opposite Day”. I think I’ll go with Politifact.

orange on April 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

What an arrogant, condescending prick he is.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM

What an arrogant, condescending little man he is.

Terrye on April 16, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Great Idea, let’s spend billions of dollars and send man to an asteroid…. Why didn’t I think of that.

You effing loon!!!

highninside on April 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM

His arrogance is astounding.

Opposite Day on April 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM

…and dangerous.

labrat on April 16, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Soetoro: tone deaf assteroid.

BHO Jonestown on April 16, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I kind of feel sorry for him. This just proves that he is just a sad, petty, pathetic little boy trapped inside the shell of man.

xax on April 16, 2010 at 10:11 PM

First of all, they’re not tax cuts but a series of tax credits. And, second, they expire after this year. They’re crowing about how Obama presided over one of the largest middle class tax cuts in American history. I guess, then, in 2011, he’ll preside over one of the largest middle class tax increases in American history.

I have to disagree with your closing, though; anymore it’s quite believable.

SukieTawdry on April 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM

orange on April 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

What is quite obvious to millions of Americans is that you and “Politifact” and those “countless other” sources, as also Barack Obama, is that you are parsing words.

It’s the same parsing of words that goes on by the Left about the “Bush tax cuts.” You assume removing those tax cuts (reduction in percentage of tax liabilities) by the Dems, by Obama, IS THE EQUIVALENT OF “TAX CUTS” for “95% of Americans”. Or so on and so on…

As if increasing someone else’s tax liability is your “reduction in taxes” (because someone else is being dinged with your liabilities instead, since no reduction by *you* — the Liberal *you* in the corporate sense — is being sought).

Lourdes on April 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

orange on April 16, 2010 at 3:26 PM

And I think that’s just really too bad that you do. More Americans on the Left really should be trying to broaden their resources of information. As long as you remain loitering in that “trusting” realm of Leftwing hyperbole, you’ll continue to be dazed and then amused by anyone who tries to point out to you your lack of objectivity and knowledge (which is where Obama really enjoys you being, by the way, dazed and lacking objectivity, marginalized in a “trusting” of sources who are not objective).

Lourdes on April 17, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Does he not have handlers to help him act presidential like an adult?
kmarie on April 16, 2010 at 6:07 AM

FIFY

DSchoen on April 17, 2010 at 4:57 PM

What is he, Stupid? My taxes went up over $600 in the past year and I make less than $20,000 taxable income. I shudder to think of next year as the “One” does more magic with taxes. What kind of idiot is he? Does he think the rest of us are as stupid and ignorant as he is? He definitely is not of planet earth. Maybe his brain got caught in the volcanic ash coming from Iceland. I pray that he makes it until the end of his first term. The alternative is Biden and Pelosi. What a pair of jokers they are?

papadonthai on April 17, 2010 at 6:24 PM

we should expect tea partiers to fall on their knees

while facing east

and shout hallelujah

thank you, thank you with a grateful and humble heart.

HellCat on April 18, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Let them eat cake!

glennbo on April 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Funny you should say that. I actually envisioned him in a ball gown with a high piled white wig, saying just that. All sieg heil to the chief…Barack Antoinette!

Nalea on April 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM

YouTube parody: http://www.youtube.com/user/Optoons#p/u/0/trAbFjh4wbs

Mervis Winter on April 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

What’s fascinating is that all the comments here are the exact mirror image of comments about Bush and/or Reagan in years past. Why were those people whiny anti-Americans, while you are all “patriots”? And please don’t say that it’s because you’re all correct and they were all deluded…

pm123 on April 18, 2010 at 10:28 PM